anairliner

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - 2018 (2)

Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:36 am

unrave wrote:
avier wrote:

So 9W has pulled out of this route too ? :shock:
This was one of their earliest routes they served when they started and enjoyed a long monopoly.

9W flies 2x daily on this route. The flights are scheduled to be axed in Febrruary

IIRC, they used to operate 5x daily ATRs at one point!

avier

Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:16 pm

anairliner wrote:
unrave wrote:
avier wrote:

So 9W has pulled out of this route too ? :shock:
This was one of their earliest routes they served when they started and enjoyed a long monopoly.

9W flies 2x daily on this route. The flights are scheduled to be axed in Febrruary

IIRC, they used to operate 5x daily ATRs at one point!

When 9W started in early 90's, I remember flying them from BOM- IXE/CJB/TRV. I remember they had a good presence in the south right from the beginning. Also NG's close ally Gaurang Shetty (part of 9W) is native from Mangalore. Hence their focus to serve IXE I believe, and they've had good patronage on flights to IXE from the start . AI (IC) was almost non-existent at IXE with just one BOM connection always (even today), until AIX came in and threw some Gulf capacity.
But since 6E's entrance, all of 9W's favorite routes and stations are turning unattractive. All they have now is their BOM slots which 6E can't get more of.

CPS001

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:41 pm

unrave wrote:
Air India Express announces the launch of 1x daily IXE-SIN wef 31MAR19. This route is not flown by any other airline.

That was a marketing goof up by AIX, interpreting MAA as Mangalore.

unrave

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:50 pm

CPS001 wrote:
That was a marketing goof up by AIX, interpreting MAA as Mangalore.

Yup. What a shame.
17April2019: RIP Jet Airways

pushpakvimaan

Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:20 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
georgiabill wrote:
Is there any chance of AI ordering additional 787'S in the next year, either direct purchase or lease? I think a combination of 789'S and 78J'S would allow AI to reduce their 77W fleet and allow AI to offer the right size of capacity to meet route demands.

AI should fix the planes they have to open new routes. I think they have at least 5 wide bodies sitting idle. So they still have ample room to expand. If the GOI invests anything, it should be to renovate the 77W’s. AI should then just work the planes to death. Look at US airlines. I get amazed at how nice old planes can be post renovation.

AI should fix the planes with the new stimulus given by Indian government. Refurbish interiors and new seats
And start up new routes. Additional destinations in Australia, non-stop to IAH or LAX, or thing about starting a route to Africa

vadodara

Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:25 pm

lightsaber wrote:
EmoticonsAllDay wrote:
unrave wrote:
Big news of the day: IndiGo announces codeshare agreement with Turkish Airlines. This also follows that IndiGo's launch of IST is imminent, probably with A321neo. Currently TK flies 7x weekly to DEL and BOM each.

This mitigates the need for the expansion of 6E in the long and ultra long haul markets. TK is one of the very few carriers that is connected to all the 6 continents and with more aircrafts in order, their services are only expected to increase. Theoretically, you can connect to anywhere in the world from any 2nd or 3rd tier cities in India through 6E and TK. A very wise move on behalf of 6E.

This is the best strategic move 6E could make. Due to the rediculously high fuel taxes in India and lower premium market, Indian airlines opperate with a handicap. There is a reason the long haul Indian airlines burn cash like it is fuel.

What are the open rights for Indigo? Whatever the rights are, they will print money. This increase the need for reform at AI and 9W.

A pure NEO strategy is very low risk for Indigo.

Lightsaber

I concur; use NEO’s to get long haul experience in Eurasia; gauge market to Europe. Totally a low risk operation.

Istanbul is a great hub to all of Europe as well.

For TK which does not have ‘deep pockets’ like ME3, one way to pick some market share.

VTCIE

Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:15 am

vadodara wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
This is the best strategic move 6E could make. Due to the rediculously high fuel taxes in India and lower premium market, Indian airlines opperate with a handicap. There is a reason the long haul Indian airlines burn cash like it is fuel.

What are the open rights for Indigo? Whatever the rights are, they will print money. This increase the need for reform at AI and 9W.

Lightsaber

I concur; use NEO’s to get long haul experience in Eurasia; gauge market to Europe. Totally a low risk operation.

For TK which does not have ‘deep pockets’ like ME3, one way to pick some market share.

For starters, I pray, with folded hands, for you all to stop saying ME3. Etihad is nowhere compared to the other two. In fact I would say ME2+TK.
In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.

sand26391

Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:02 am

20-30 aircraft Parking stands to come up at BLR in 2019.

2019 will see scorching growth of Bengaluru airport — second runway by September 2019, 20-30 new aircraft stands.

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.com/ ... 221461.cms

binayak

Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:07 am

VTCIE wrote:

For starters, I pray, with folded hands, for you all to stop saying ME3. Etihad is nowhere compared to the other two. In fact I would say ME2+TK.

Nowhere compared to the other two in what? Financial situation?
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

Blerg

Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:17 am

binayak wrote:
VTCIE wrote:

Nowhere compared to the other two in what? Financial situation?

I think he is referring to their growth prospects, fleet size and the number of passengers.

Just look at their fleet:

Emirates: 258
Etihad: 113
Qatar: 220

If they don't change something then flydubai might overtake them in terms of fleet size and most likely passenger numbers as well. Oman Air is growing nicely so if we are considering EY as a major player then shouldn't we also include them?

unrave

Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:27 am

sand26391 wrote:

2019 will see scorching growth of Bengaluru airport — second runway by September 2019, 20-30 new aircraft stands.

I think BLR will run out of capacity before they build a metro to the airport

avier

Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:43 am

The targets set for major Indian airports is way too less. China on the other hand is thinking real long term in terms of aviation infrastructure.
All major airports in India should now be designed by default for alteast 100-120m capacity anually. And BOM/DEL should have two such airports each.
It's funny how they designed the new BLR airport for just about 25m at first and now talk of expanding. And two parallel runways are not enough for such airports, at least 4 should be considered. They need to set higher targets from now on itself as the market will explode further in the future.

vadodara

Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:06 am

VTCIE wrote:
vadodara wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

ME2 or 3, how does it materially change anything?

Turkey is reeling under debt; TK really has no access to cheap capital. The new Istanbul airport has just opened.

Doesn’t hurt if you invite 6E to bring in more pax.

sand26391

Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:06 am

unrave wrote:
sand26391 wrote:

I think BLR will run out of capacity before they build a metro to the airport

The less we talk about BMRCL, the better.
AFAIK the 3rd RWY, there was a study done in 2016.. but I am not aware of the result of it. But thankfully a T3 has been planned behind Taj hotel. Maybe around 15-20MPPA terminal.

sand26391

Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:13 am

avier wrote:
It's funny how they designed the new BLR airport for just about 25m at first and now talk of expanding. And two parallel runways are not enough for such airports, at least 4 should be considered. They need to set higher targets from now on itself as the market will explode further in the future.

Thats because no1, not even MoCA or the stakeholders & airlines anticipated the growth at BLR during early 2010s. Not even IATA during consultations in early 2010. Its a long story.. but thankfully in the next 18 months or so... there will be a lot of changes in BLR. Forget BLR, what have other tier 2/3 cities doing rn? They are running with capacity constraints aswell.. dont single out BLR/BOM/DEL. Look at STV/AMD for example. But the time is NOW and Rome wasnt built in a day. Atleast T2 and expansions are going on rn.

zionite

Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:05 am

VTCIE wrote:
vadodara wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Etihad may be shrinking in size and operations compared to ME2+TK but still has considerable size and business. It is still a major threat to Indian Aviation. Oman Air is growing but has miles to go before it will be noticeable as a major threat. Its still years to go before we can say ME2+TK and by that time I guess flyDubai will have merged into Emirates.

VTCIE

Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:41 am

vadodara wrote:
VTCIE wrote:
vadodara wrote:

ME2 or 3, how does it materially change anything?

Turkey is reeling under debt; TK really has no access to cheap capital. The new Istanbul airport has just opened.

Doesn’t hurt if you invite 6E to bring in more pax.

Indeed, as far as Bharat is concerned, TK has finally taken baby steps with the 6E codeshare. But in most of the rest of the world TK is a formidable force. Talking only about India, ME2 is the dominant power. If you include EY, you must include WY, SV, KU, etc.
In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.

sand26391

Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:13 am

Any idea of what the 20 destinations from IST /ISL are? Also what is the bilateral restrictions by Indian carriers to Turkey? 14 weekly?

unrave

Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:39 pm

sand26391 wrote:
Any idea of what the 20 destinations from IST /ISL are? Also what is the bilateral restrictions by Indian carriers to Turkey? 14 weekly?

We have no information yet as to what the destinations are. My guess is they would be the 20 busiest airports in India. Both Indian and Turkish carriers are entitles to fly 14 weekly frequencies

binayak

Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:08 pm

unrave wrote:
sand26391 wrote:

We have no information yet as to what the destinations are. My guess is they would be the 20 busiest airports in India. Both Indian and Turkish carriers are entitles to fly 14 weekly frequencies

AFAIK the 20 destinations are 20 points beyond IST where 6E will place its code on flights operated by TK. So they'll be EU destinations.
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

sand26391

Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:27 pm

Ofcourse i do know that it will be flown by TK, I was just curious on the probable list of destinations 6E will code on TK :-)
I was more curious regarding the Bilaterals wrt Indian airlines side

Viman

Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:46 pm

sand26391 wrote:
Viman wrote:
anairliner wrote:

From the same day they Are shutting down three stations Amritsar, Nagpur and Surat. With the capacity expansion of Indigo we can expect other airlines closing further routes!

I am not able to find this news about closure of Air Asia at these stations, can you give some link?

Bookings are not open on these sectors on I5 and also on Skyscanner website

The prices are higher after 15th JAN !! From 2000 to 2500-3000 INR now for NAG-BLR. Indigo is acting like monopoly player, they launched many flights between NAG and BLR so that Air Asia started getting fewer passengers and now after Air Asia pullout Indigo can set prices as they like with 50% higher ticket prices.

After Kingfisher collapse, Air Asia arrival was the first time there was any competition on this route, now that is replaced with Indigo monopoly, thankfully Indigo cannot do this at BOM and BLR, the other two locations where i travel frequently.

Goyal should complete the sale of Jet Airways as soon as possible to Etihad or Tata, Jet Aiways disappearance will mean more of such monopoly practises by Indigo even in bigger cities. Also, Govt. should give Qatar Airways approval for that airline with JV of Qatar Investments and Qatar Airways, just get it done with.

lightsaber
Topic Author

Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:32 pm

zionite wrote:
VTCIE wrote:
vadodara wrote:

Etihad may be shrinking in size and operations compared to ME2+TK but still has considerable size and business. It is still a major threat to Indian Aviation. Oman Air is growing but has miles to go before it will be noticeable as a major threat. Its still years to go before we can say ME2+TK and by that time I guess flyDubai will have merged into Emirates.

If Etihad was small versus the Indian airlines, I could see the point of reducing the ME3. They are down, but not out.

With TK/6E only allowed 14 flights per week, the alliance is puny. Obviously 6E must Ally with someone else and QR probably has the most growth potential as slots to DXB are maxed out.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

vadodara

Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:08 pm

QR is already on the move. Air Italy is on its 6th US city and 2nd Indian city.

Granted it will not be feasible to fly to more than a few Indian cities from Milan.

vadodara

Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:44 pm

zionite wrote:
VTCIE wrote:
vadodara wrote:

Indian aviation does not equal to Indian airlines

Growth of India. Aviation should also include connectivity from 2nd/3rd tier cities.

If 6E approaches Istanbul in similar manner to its domestic ops with multiple cities/flights, then this is a big win for Indian aviation even if the longer revenue passenger miles may yet come on TK.

CaliguyNYC

Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:16 am

vadodara wrote:
zionite wrote:
VTCIE wrote:

Growth of India. Aviation should also include connectivity from 2nd/3rd tier cities.

If 6E approaches Istanbul in similar manner to its domestic ops with multiple cities/flights, then this is a big win for Indian aviation even if the longer revenue passenger miles may yet come on TK.

How is it a win for indian aviation. What does say BLR get for being connected to IST when there is almost zero O&D demand (and Turks have no desire to come to India)? At least nonstop flights to the EU bring new EU tourists. Indigo would have been better served to pick a big underserved city like HYD or AMD and launch flights to London, HKG, NBO, Paris (or wherever are big Indian tourist destinations) and offer key nonstops and great one stop connectivity to a huge swath of India. Most majors indian cities already have onestop connections to the world thanks to the ME3. Now the game needs to be serving high O&D cities nonstop and supplement that with one stop from small cities not served by ME3 with some connecting traffic from BOM/DEL FFs. Btw I bet Indigo will launch flights to IST from BOM and DEL (even though TK already flies those routes).

Blerg

Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:17 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:
vadodara wrote:
zionite wrote:

How is it a win for indian aviation. What does say BLR get for being connected to IST when there is almost zero O&D demand (and Turks have no desire to come to India)? At least nonstop flights to the EU bring new EU tourists. Indigo would have been better served to pick a big underserved city like HYD or AMD and launch flights to London, HKG, NBO, Paris (or wherever are big Indian tourist destinations) and offer key nonstops and great one stop connectivity to a huge swath of India. Most majors indian cities already have onestop connections to the world thanks to the ME3. Now the game needs to be serving high O&D cities nonstop and supplement that with one stop from small cities not served by ME3 with some connecting traffic from BOM/DEL FFs. Btw I bet Indigo will launch flights to IST from BOM and DEL (even though TK already flies those routes).

Well, once IndiGo maxes out its own rights for IST, I am sure both airlines will request for the bilateral to be expanded to include more flights. I am certain IndiGo and Turkish Airlines will start expanding into secondary Indian markets. Ok, maybe TK would use these rights to further boost BOM and DEL but I see IndiGo launching Istanbul from cities such as BLR. After all, I highly doubt every bilateral expansion would be used exclusively for DEL and BOM. Didn't TK give us a long list of destinations they want to serve in India?

So maybe not everyone would profit right away but long-term they would especially as this partnership keeps on expanding.

sand26391

Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:55 am

I think in long term both the airlines will benefit from the codeshare (& probable expansions in the near future if GoI/MoCA alllows). With 6E's A321N scheduled to be delivered in another couple of days to DEL, Its just a matter of time.

avier

Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:04 am

The govt. has no obligation to increase any bilaterals for IST or DOH if it's not really benefiting the indian airlines in general. They won't think about 6E alone. Political aspects are important too in regards to bilaterals. 6E can make do with whatever they are allowed for now. It's not exciting to see another Indian carrier feeding another foreign hub.

unrave

Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:35 am

GoAir increases frequency on its HKT routes from DEL, BOM and BLR to 1x daily each. The airline is evidently betting big on Phuket. Only time will tell how successful this strategy will be. On a side note, the number of weekly non stop flights to HKT from India has grown from 0 to 28 in the space of two months.

avier

Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:32 am

unrave wrote:
On a side note, the number of weekly non stop flights to HKT from India has grown from 0 to 28 in the space of two months.

And that number is set to double or treble if the bully is going to continue to mirroring G8's int'l network. I wonder if there's so much demand year round to a beach destination .

sand26391

Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:34 pm

"THE QUAD" is now open at BLR Kerbside.

anshabhi

Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:07 pm

Don't have too much hopes from 6E-TK partnership. 6E has always been very vocal against India's main hubs being shifted out of India. 14 flights per week is just enough. 6E only needs some little long haul experience before ordering its own widebodies (when these TK routes could be scraped too, if they compete with 6E's widebodies)

Is this "the QUAD" a lounge or restaurant? The 2 domestic lounges at BLR always remain very dry...

avier

Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:18 pm

9W is going to be non-existent between so many major metro cities ; DEL- HYD , BLR-CUU, MAA-CCU, HYD-CCU, MAA-HYD.. what a disappointing network for a major airline.

sand26391

Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:53 pm

anshabhi wrote:
Is this "the QUAD" a lounge or restaurant? The 2 domestic lounges at BLR always remain very dry...

Its a mix of restaurants, pop up shops & bars located outside the terminal. In between ARR and DEP

unrave

Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:55 pm

avier wrote:
9W is going to be non-existent

You could leave it at that..

VTCIE

Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:36 pm

avier wrote:
unrave wrote:
GoAir increases frequency on its HKT routes from DEL, BOM and BLR to 1x daily each. The airline is evidently betting big on Phuket. Only time will tell how successful this strategy will be. On a side note, the number of weekly non stop flights to HKT from India has grown from 0 to 28 in the space of two months.

And that number is set to double or treble if the bully is going to continue to mirroring G8's int'l network. I wonder if there's so much demand year round to a beach destination .

Somebody—the bully, G8 or otherwise—should launch MAA-HKT, HYD-HKT and CCU-HKT, and soon. Too much capacity between the big three cities and HKT is unwarranted; 5x weekly would have been better.

unrave

Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:16 am

VTCIE wrote:
Somebody—the bully, G8 or otherwise—should launch MAA-HKT, HYD-HKT and CCU-HKT, and soon. Too much capacity between the big three cities and HKT is unwarranted; 5x weekly would have been better.

G8 has plans of connecting 8-9 Indian cities with Phuket

avier

Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:24 am

6E will start 1 daily Mumbai - Bhopal from 11th Jan '19.

shashankach

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:01 pm

Does anyone know the situation on Star air? Saw their ERJ-145 flying around yesterday. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/vt-gsc

Their website's route map shows PR's route network and they do not have a schedule.

Slash787

Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:23 pm

avier wrote:

Is 9W still flying this route or they are planning to stop it?

unrave

Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:28 pm

avier wrote:

This replaces BOM-STV-BOM rotation between 11JAN and 31MAR, beyond which it shifts to a red eye.

SVJ77W

Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:37 pm

GO AIR: Special flights - Delhi-Kannur 26-29th December 2018

These are one way flights from Delhi to Kannur with Go Air. Today's flight has landed.

unrave

Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:17 pm

Vistara increases frequency on DEL-BLR to 6x daily wef 09JAN19. There are at least 38 daily flights each way on this route

VTCIE

Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:41 am

Is it far-fetched to say that GoAir is finally building up a solid route network—especially at CNN—at 9W's expense?

sand26391

Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:53 am

^^ Yes its far fetched.

unrave

Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:31 am

SpiceJet launches 1x daily flight between Kolkata and Lilabari wef 15JAN19. Lilabari is a small airport located in Northern Assam close to its border with Arunachal Pradesh. This UDAN route will be operated on Q400 aircraft.

sand26391

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:40 am

^^ Good to hear, but Lets see how long the route lasts(Hopefully I'm proved wrong).

vadodara

Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:12 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:
vadodara wrote:
zionite wrote:

Part of the reason the bilaterals have not been expanded is due to airlines like IndiGo blocking them.

I agree that adding flights from underserved cities such as AMD would be helpful but that is unlikely till they get hold of aircraft like 787. Not going to happen anytime.

pushpakvimaan

Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:04 am

unrave wrote:
SpiceJet launches 1x daily flight between Kolkata and Lilabari wef 15JAN19. Lilabari is a small airport located in Northern Assam close to its border with Arunachal Pradesh. This UDAN route will be operated on Q400 aircraft.

Interesting the airport and route was served by Air India and still features in UDAN

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos