binayak

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - 2018 (2)

Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:03 am

Well my views on the long hauls announced :

BOM FRA was good choice given the connections at FRA which is a star alliance hub.

BOM JFK : I hope this time it works out because unlike EWR, JFK will primarily depend on the premium business traffic. With AI's business product, I'm a bit skeptical whether this will attract corporates . Originally announced 3 weekly but The Hindu reports it to be a six day service. Please can anyone confirm this?

BLR LHR : The route has PDEW 297 and thus is clearly underserved with only one flight daily (BA). However AI will require good amount of connections at LHR end to make it work well because I doubt how much local feed AI can get at BLR. I hope they code share with UA this time .
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

Sindhuputra

Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:20 am

Unfortunately, many of us will pay tax that will get used to fund massive losses on these AI routes.

A few questions:
a) AI has repeatedly said that the BOM-EWR route is its single biggest loss maker (over 500M USD lost over 10 years)..why would JFK suddenly work, with the same type of equipment (300 ER)?
b) LHR-BLR PDEW is 297 but is does already have a flight which captures some of it + the ME3. unless thy scale down to use a A 321 (:) not happening) not sure why they will be able to fill 250 seats
c) BKK is soon to be a bloodbath.

on another note- BKK used to be a great bisector hub for IC in the days long gone and SIN/HKG and the BKK terminators all did well. I reckon some indian carrier should set up a bisector somewhere in SE Asia (indogo?) to handle the sheer no of india tourists who need to touch BKK/KUL/SIN/DPS and increasingly HKT and HCMC.

first post-last time I almost posted was the morning when MH370 vanished. knew of it 40 mins before the first post appeared on this forum but could not activate my account ...

S

unrave

Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:19 am

Sindhuputra wrote:
Unfortunately, many of us will pay tax that will get used to fund massive losses on these AI routes.

I have said this before: If you are an Indian resident taxpayer, every time an Air India pilot fires up his engine he burns your money along with jet fuel.
India: World's fastest growing major economy. World's fastest growing aviation market.

unrave

Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:33 am

Video of the first commercial flight landing at India's newest airport:
https://twitter.com/MoCA_GoI/status/1047804767810936832
India: World's fastest growing major economy. World's fastest growing aviation market.

avier

Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:13 pm

unrave wrote:
Video of the first commercial flight landing at India's newest airport:
https://twitter.com/MoCA_GoI/status/1047804767810936832

It's a beautiful airport. Hope more airlines fly there and make good use of that new marvel structure. Gangtok is a lovely place and I'm sure it'll attract more tourists too.
Only wished they'd built a longer runway to accommodate larger narrowbodies. It would be lovely then to see Pakyong connected to almost whole of India , directly or indirectly, someday by an airline like 6E. :P
Last edited by avier on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

avier

Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:13 pm

Nimish

Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:24 pm

binayak wrote:
BOM FRA was good choice given the connections at FRA which is a star alliance hub.

Except that I'm not sure if AI and LH/ UA actually do much of passenger exchange at FRA. Other than IROP - where LH is happy to send you on an AI flight, the A++ JV ensures that UA/ LH/ AC stay clear of AI metal.

binayak wrote:
BLR LHR : The route has PDEW 297 and thus is clearly underserved with only one flight daily (BA). However AI will require good amount of connections at LHR end to make it work well because I doubt how much local feed AI can get at BLR. I hope they code share with UA this time .

Again - UA is tied into the A+ JV and has almost nothing to do with AI. Even today (a couple of years after AI joined *A), when you buy a UA ticket on BLR-BOM/DEL-EWR - the domestic sector is 9W and not AI.
Incredible India!

YouGeeElWhy

Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:35 pm

binayak wrote:
That would interesting if they codeshared with UA. Hopefully, this makes BA upgrade the old busted planes they use on this route.

binayak

Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:54 pm

Sindhuputra wrote:

Why so negativity ? Think positive and welcome to A.net !!

A few questions:
a) AI has repeatedly said that the BOM-EWR route is its single biggest loss maker (over 500M USD lost over 10 years)..why would JFK suddenly work, with the same type of equipment (300 ER)?

BOM-EWR was started in 2011 , was loss making when the aircraft they flew was load restricted due to illegal hoardings near BOM runway . However now the hoardings have been removed , the route has become profitable ( AI said that in March that all their US routes are profitable barring the one to EWR via LHR). As they have been facing with increasing demand for their US flights , they are starting JFK too . The Mumbai - NYC market isn't loss making any day.

b) LHR-BLR PDEW is 297 but is does already have a flight which captures some of it + the ME3. unless thy scale down to use a A 321 (:) not happening) not sure why they will be able to fill 250 seats
c) BKK is soon to be a bloodbath.

on another note- BKK used to be a great bisector hub for IC in the days long gone and SIN/HKG and the BKK terminators all did well. I reckon some indian carrier should set up a bisector somewhere in SE Asia (indogo?) to handle the sheer no of india tourists who need to touch BKK/KUL/SIN/DPS and increasingly HKT and HCMC.

first post-last time I almost posted was the morning when MH370 vanished. knew of it 40 mins before the first post appeared on this forum but could not activate my account ...

S

About BLR - LHR , good connections will make the flight work . BA/ ME3's presence does not mean AI shouldn't participate . The market seems good enough to be able to handle more than one daily non stop . Only thing is AI has to code share with UA for onward connections and not bank on just O&D / local feed.

voxkel

Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:28 pm

The rumour is that AI will deploy 77L on BOM-JFK, and upgrade DEL-SFO to 77W.

Wikipedia (not a reliable source IK) claims BOM-JFK will be a 6-time per week 77L.

yashk

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:47 pm

Outside of DEL/BOM, AI should just stick to NB international routes like BKK/SIN etc. I wonder if BLR-LHR is being considered out of pure commercial reasons or is there some political force behind it. I am sure strengthening their DEL hub would provide much better network effects and once they have it completely set up they can look towards starting routes like BLR/AMD-LHR.

Few ideas how AI can better utilize a 787- Expand its Australia operations by making existing SYD/MEL flights daily and then also starting:

AI 304 0215 DEL - SYD 1910 788 137
AI 303 2330 SYD - DEL 0830+1 788 137

This way AI can provide connections both ways to its large European network.

VTORD

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Nimish wrote:
Except that I'm not sure if AI and LH/ UA actually do much of passenger exchange at FRA. Other than IROP - where LH is happy to send you on an AI flight, the A++ JV ensures that UA/ LH/ AC stay clear of AI metal.

Again - UA is tied into the A+ JV and has almost nothing to do with AI. Even today (a couple of years after AI joined *A), when you buy a UA ticket on BLR-BOM/DEL-EWR - the domestic sector is 9W and not AI.

:checkmark: Even on LH's website, when you try to book to PNQ (via DEL), you get UK as an option but not AI!

voxkel wrote:
The rumour is that AI will deploy 77L on BOM-JFK, and upgrade DEL-SFO to 77W.

Wikipedia (not a reliable source IK) claims BOM-JFK will be a 6-time per week 77L.

That means IAD too will go to 77W (or already has and I missed the memo?)
Twitter: @spottingfoodie

unnayan

Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:00 pm

Etihad to pump in more money into Jet

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/jet-air ... rt-1926963

pushpakvimaan

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:55 am

Did Air India change their business class seats afterall ? There was quite a media event around launch of New "Maharaja" class. No photographs of new seats were ever shared.

unrave

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:15 am

unnayan wrote:

A fine example of how numerically challenged Indian journalists are. $35m is Rs. 250 crore, or 18 days of losses for Jet. Hardly a lifeline or bailout.

unnayan

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:41 am

unrave wrote:
unnayan wrote:

A fine example of how numerically challenged Indian journalists are. $35m is Rs. 250 crore, or 18 days of losses for Jet. Hardly a lifeline or bailout.

I doubt Etihad can afford any more anyway :mrgreen:

unrave

Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:53 am

yashk wrote:
Outside of DEL/BOM, AI should just stick to NB international routes like BKK/SIN etc. I wonder if BLR-LHR is being considered out of pure commercial reasons or is there some political force behind it. I am sure strengthening their DEL hub would provide much better network effects and once they have it completely set up they can look towards starting routes like BLR/AMD-LHR.

Few ideas how AI can better utilize a 787- Expand its Australia operations by making existing SYD/MEL flights daily and then also starting:

AI 304 0215 DEL - SYD 1910 788 137
AI 303 2330 SYD - DEL 0830+1 788 137

This way AI can provide connections both ways to its large European network.

SYD has a night time curfew.

sand26391

Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:27 am

yashk wrote:

I honestly dont think BLR-LHR is for any political pressure, if it was..... it would have been launched many years ago. I feel its purely commerical reason and trying to attract more Star Alliance pax & use AI to fly to the US. This was in the talks for quiet sometime in the BLR circle, but since its AI, no one would trust anything unless confirmed from AI themselves.

VTORD

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:35 am

unrave

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:51 am

Hey look AI can make sensible decisions too. But what were they thinking when they operated a flight connecting two of the most competitive markets in the world with their vastly inferior product.

Slash787

Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:05 am

pushpakvimaan wrote:
Did Air India change their business class seats afterall ? There was quite a media event around launch of New "Maharaja" class. No photographs of new seats were ever shared.

I totally forgot about this thing, the "launch" was big and the most weird thing was there were no photographs of the seats, well nothing surprising, they just wanted to show to the world that they are on par with other airlines and are releasing a new product and it will be better than ever, but well no result till now and its not even surprising. Its Air India after all.....

Irehdna

Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:43 am

VTORD wrote:

New Jersey to Gujarat is too large and loyal of a market to ignore IMO. Additionally, I am not so sure they can maintain AMD-LHR without EWR.

What are the possibilities they are just working a schedule to start BLR-LHR-EWR or BOM-LHR-EWR (which would still connect well for AMD-LHR at LHR)?

binayak

Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:07 pm

Irehdna wrote:
VTORD wrote:

New Jersey to Gujarat is too large and loyal of a market to ignore IMO. Additionally, I am not so sure they can maintain AMD-LHR without EWR.

What are the possibilities they are just working a schedule to start BLR-LHR-EWR or BOM-LHR-EWR (which would still connect well for AMD-LHR at LHR)?

Possibilities aren't much. EWR already has non stop from BOM and before people go further, it's profitable declared by AI . BLR LHR EWR also is unlikely given there are already many one stop options . AI can at the best code share with UA this time.

I do understand that New Jersey has a huge Gujarati diaspora and that's the reason you'll see AMD, BDQ, STV fanboys ..... all ask for non stops. However that doesn't mean there should be a flight between EWR to AMD because first, there's no guarantee that AMD is the only city from where the diaspora is and second, most of them have their relatives in BOM and therefore will like to have a stop there. Plus at BOM, you get the business traffic too.

sibibom

Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:12 pm

There are a lot of gujjus near EWR, but a slot at LHR ain't cheap, and it's just easier to put them on to UA at LHR and go for higher-yielding BLR-LHR. For once AI is making a better business decision. :yes:

VTORD

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:31 pm

Irehdna wrote:

Where is the slot going to come from at LHR? Looks like they used the LHR-EWR slot for BLR-LHR. I would say they are better off shifting the 191/144 EWR tag-on from DEL to AMD and restart BOM-BDQ if the idea is to serve the Gujarati diaspora in Jersey. I am not sure how 9W, 6E are able to support multiple BDQ-BOM per day and AI hasn't thought of returning. No idea what their service to STV is like though.

avier

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:09 pm

As per their recent directive at AI, they are trying to cut down on costs by getting crew (cabin crew mainly) to be based out of the main long haul hubs like DEL to operate flights rather than have them positioned by deadheading there and paying for their hotel accommodation.

So, by launching this new BLR long haul from where literally none of their long hauls operate and having no base for the long haul crew there, I don't understand why they chose to start this new route to LHR. They could have stuck to their earlier plans of launching the second frequency from BOM to LHR instead. Or probably added a new frequency from DEL.

Also what feed do they have on either side to support this flight? Their network and frequency for domestic flights at BLR isn't that big. Are they purely relying on O&D for this sector? Seems like a bold move if they are.
They could have stuck to their logic in line with their new directive and launched this new long haul from their respective crew/MX hubs for long hauls basically.
I have seriously no hopes for this airline.

bostrv

Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:31 pm

AI is adding a red eye COK-BLR flight, for one.

binayak

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:11 pm

VTORD wrote:
Irehdna wrote:

Where is the slot going to come from at LHR? Looks like they used the LHR-EWR slot for BLR-LHR. I would say they are better off shifting the 191/144 EWR tag-on from DEL to AMD and restart BOM-BDQ if the idea is to serve the Gujarati diaspora in Jersey. I am not sure how 9W, 6E are able to support multiple BDQ-BOM per day and AI hasn't thought of returning. No idea what their service to STV is like though.

Well at a time BDQ BOM was served by AI , 9W , S2 . During PPs peak time , AI was forced to drop several profitable domestic routes out of which BDQ BOM was one. That was done to favor a new player at that time ...............Well I think I must finish it here!!

avier wrote:

So, by launching this new BLR long haul from where literally none of their long hauls operate and having no base for the long haul crew there, I don't understand why they chose to start this new route to LHR. They could have stuck to their earlier plans of launching the second frequency from BOM to LHR instead. Or probably added a new frequency from DEL.

Also what feed do they have on either side to support this flight? Their network and frequency for domestic flights at BLR isn't that big. Are they purely relying on O&D for this sector? Seems like a bold move if they are.
They could have stuck to their logic in line with their new directive and launched this new long haul from their respective crew/MX hubs for long hauls basically.
I have seriously no hopes for this airline.

They'll dead head crew from BOM temporarily and then place some long haul crew at BLR . Having no long haul ops from a city does not mean you can't launch one.
When jet had started MAA-CDG last year , they dead headed some (French speaking) 777 crew from BOM to MAA for few weeks after which they had enough wide body crew at MAA so then they didn't need to dead head . They must have done the same thing with BLR AMS too . So I think AI will do the same with BLR LHR .
Keep your hopes up man !! The airline is slowly restarting key routes . They did serve BLR - BOM- LHR during early-mid 2000s IIRC .

unrave

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:41 am

Trujet is set to launch twice daily flights on MAA-CJB-MAA wef 28OCT18, most likely on wet leased ATR aircraft from Jet Airways. Along with the other recently announced flights, this makes it more than 2000 seats daily one way on this sector.

Bhadra

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:19 am

Indigo to introduce flights to Male (effective Nov 15th) from Bangalore, Kochi and Mumbai.
And to Phuket (effective Nov 23rd) from Delhi.

unrave

Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:21 am

Poor GoAir can't catch a break.

avier

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:01 am

Bhadra wrote:
Indigo to introduce flights to Male (effective Nov 15th) from Bangalore, Kochi and Mumbai.

unrave wrote:
Poor GoAir can't catch a break.

G8's moderate growth strategy won't work when they have such an aggressive competitor.

Also, with 6E's new flights to Male, they are effectively taking on all the existing India-Male route operators in one go, not sparing anyone for that matter. AI operates from BLR to Male , SG from COK, and G8 (will) from BOM. :lol:

avier

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:56 am

So they've announced dates and schedule officially for their Male & Phuket Launch-

6E 1778 Bengaluru-Male 15-Nov-18
6E 1795 Kochi-Male 15-Nov-18
6E 1783 Mumbai-Male 16-Nov-18
6E 1764 Phuket Delhi 23-Nov-18

Also looks they aren't done yet with Kochi. They added their new first ever routes on these city pairs and increased frequency on many other routes which is hard to track and note.

6E 305 Chennai-Nagpur 1-Nov-18
6E 816 Kochi-Nagpur 15-Nov-18
6E 669 Kochi-Lucknow 8-Dec-18
6E 652 Kochi-Jaipur 15-Nov-18
6E 953 Guwahati-Varanasi 29-Oct-18
6E 731 Guwahati-Bhubaneswar 28-Oct-18
6E 894 Guwahati-Amritsar 28-Oct-18

unrave

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:18 am

avier wrote:
So they've announced dates and schedule officially for their Male & Phuket Launch-

6E 1778 Bengaluru-Male 15-Nov-18 2x weekly
6E 1795 Kochi-Male 15-Nov-18 7x weekly
6E 1783 Mumbai-Male 16-Nov-18 5x weekly
6E 1764 Phuket Delhi 23-Nov-18 6x weekly

Male rotation is COK-MLE-BOM/BLR-MLE-COK

Bhadra

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:57 pm

Now that the A321LR has obtained certification, I cannot wait for IndiGo to get their hands on some of these. This aircraft can redefine the competitive landscape for medium haul flying out of India and hopefully hasten the inevitable consolidation.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... tification

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... or-452469/

Bhadra

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:32 am

In other news, COO of GoAir has called it quits.

https://www.financialexpress.com/indust ... r/1339464/

unrave

Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:04 am

Bhadra wrote:

Tracking GoAir's C suite changes is getting as difficult as tracking IndiGo's network additions.

avier

Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:06 am

Bhadra wrote:

Seems like its hard for anyone to work with the airline's owner.

avier

Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:11 am

Also 6E's BOM-MLE flight schedule departs at the same time at noon as G8's.
Feel bad for G8's int'l launch. They aren't spared anywhere.

BOMFlyer

Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:27 am

Both Flightradar24 and Flightaware are showing LY074 near the Persian/Arabian Gulf right now. Does anyone know why this is showing?

unrave

Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:19 am

BOMFlyer wrote:
Both Flightradar24 and Flightaware are showing LY074 near the Persian/Arabian Gulf right now. Does anyone know why this is showing?

FR24 takes time to recalibrate flight paths once the aircraft moves out of coverage area. It has been rectified now.

blrsea

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:57 am

UDAN has added 750,000 flyers to India's aviation traffic in 17 months.

In 17 months since launch, UDAN has given wings to 7.5 lakh people

More than 7.5 lakh passengers have travelled on 15,700 flights operated under the government’s regional air connectivity scheme (RCS) in the last 17 months after the scheme became operational. Of the 7.5-lakh passengers, 4.5 lakh received subsidised air fares, which are being offered under UDAN, the government initiative to make air travel to India’s tier II and tier III cities affordable to the common man.
The latest figures released by the Airports Authority of India, which manages the scheme, shows that the eight airlines, which are participating in the scheme, showed an average passenger load factor of 68 per cent on all the flights operated under the scheme.

Passenger load factor shows how many of the seats on offer by airlines are filled. A total of 96 routes, including the Delhi-Shimla route, come under the scheme.

unrave

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:03 am

Thai Air Asia to launch 4x weekly flights between Vizag and Bangkok wef 08DEC18

unrave

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:21 am

Surat Airport crosses 100,000 passenger traffic for the first time in September 2018. The traffic was just 13,000 in September 2016!

AirIndia

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:02 am

unrave wrote:
Surat Airport crosses 100,000 passenger traffic for the first time in September 2018. The traffic was just 13,000 in September 2016!

wow, impresive. on a lighter note has there been a decrease in BOM numbers by 87000?? :lol:

pnqiad

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:09 am

unrave wrote:

PNQ - which the 9th busiest in India had over 2.3 million pax in Apr-Jun 18 qtr - about 770k p/m...

And these WWWAS folks claim 30% of BOM feed comes from STV..lol...

unrave

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:43 am

A feature on how IndiGo has been ruthless in going after rival airlines' new routes, including the recent MLE and HKT launches.
https://www.cnbctv18.com/aviation/this- ... 040531.htm

An interesting infographic from the article

DSFTEBMNZ

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am

A summary of Bengaluru’s (BLR) performance over the past ten years, basically since commercial service was shifted from Hindustan Airport to Devanahalli. The lead photo shows the ceremony for AirAsia’s inaugural flight to Surat. :D

https://www.anna.aero/2018/10/09/boomin ... -10-years/

The article does not say this explicitly, but I believe that in terms of international traffic flows, the historically active airports at both Meenambakkam (MAA) and Dum Dum (CCU) are well ahead of BLR.

sand26391

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Forget history.... acc to monthly AAI traffic reports MAA is ahead to BLR wrt to Intl traffic and BLR > CCU.
But yeah a good insight into BLR aviation scene by anna.aero, something which we dont get to see often! :-)

avier

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:14 pm

unrave wrote:
A feature on how IndiGo has been ruthless in going after rival airlines' new routes, including the recent MLE and HKT launches.
https://www.cnbctv18.com/aviation/this- ... 040531.htm

Their network mirroring strategy is something they've been doing since a while in the domestic market. But hadn't seen that on the international front. Especially launching two new overseas stations at such short notice which were another carriers launch stations for their international debut.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos