richierich
Topic Author

What is origin of Spirit's NK IATA code?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Spirit has always been NK, but where did that come from? Was it randomly assigned and they stuck with it? Or did it mean anything?
Yes, I Googled this and searched the a.net archives for a similar topic, but I was unsuccessful.
None shall pass!!!!

Runway28L

Re: What is origin of Spirit's NK IATA code?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:47 pm

That's really funny. I was just about to make a thread asking the same question as I've also been curious as to why Spirit uses NK.

Would love to find out why as well. :)

ua900

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Maybe it's NK for Nekkid :rotfl: since they are home of the bare fare and their NYSE symbol is SAVE.
2018: AMS | ARN | CDG | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUM | HAM | HKG | HNL | IAH | LAX | MIA | MUC | ORD | RSW | SAL | SFO | SIN | TLV | TXL | VIE | ZRH

red66mustang

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Often IATA codes are assigned at random especially if the logical assignment is already taken, hence why Southwest is WN rather than SW (already taken by Air Namibia). Obviously Spirit Airlines couldn't take the logical SA since that already belonged to South African. My guess is NK is just a random assignment.

Beechtobus

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:03 pm

Not sure if true but a neat theory; the founder of Spirit was Ned Homfeld. Apparently he treated employees very well like family and thus called his work family his kids. The story is that NK refers to Ned’s Kids ( his kids being his airline and employees). Do I personally believe it? Not really, but it is a heart felt theory and beats explaining that NK was likely used because it was randomly what was available at the time.

jetero

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:06 pm

NK, inspired by Air Koryo?

I kid. Flew Spirit once . . . it was perfectly fine.

flyboynk

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:33 pm

Ned's Kids is the reason NK is Spirit's code. This is what the official version (internally) that has been stated during the past 20+ years...

Ned would throw nice X-mas parties at the end of year for all employees and give out bonus checks, something that changed very quickly when Ned was joined by J. Schorr and M. Kahn as owners in late 90's. By the time Oaktree came in 2004 as majority owner it started to turn Spirit into a very different airline than previously seen.
Flyboynk

enilria

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:38 pm

richierich wrote:
Spirit has always been NK, but where did that come from? Was it randomly assigned and they stuck with it? Or did it mean anything?
Yes, I Googled this and searched the a.net archives for a similar topic, but I was unsuccessful.

I always assumed it was based upon the industry abbreviation ARNK.

"ARNK. The term (pronounced arunk) means "arrival unknown". The reason for this is that airline reservation systems (and major GDSs) require the segments following on sequentially, so arriving at one city, and then departing from another, will cause the system to return an error message."

Woodreau

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:49 pm

I've always thought it was for Ned's Kids. NK
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

richierich
Topic Author

Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:16 pm

Woodreau wrote:
I've always thought it was for Ned's Kids. NK

Thanks for the information everybody.
To me, it sounds like "Ned's Kids" would have been applied to the code NK and not the other way around. It really makes no sense to make the IATA code of your little airline based on a term of endearment like that. But who knows.
None shall pass!!!!

tb727

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:26 pm

flyboynk wrote:
Ned's Kids is the reason NK is Spirit's code. This is what the official version (internally) that has been stated during the past 20+ years...

Ned would throw nice X-mas parties at the end of year for all employees and give out bonus checks, something that changed very quickly when Ned was joined by J. Schorr and M. Kahn as owners in late 90's. By the time Oaktree came in 2004 as majority owner it started to turn Spirit into a very different airline than previously seen.

:checkmark: If you talk to the people that have been around there for 20+ years, they speak very fondly of Ned. It has really changed a lot over the years but it had to, otherwise the company wouldn't be around today.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

CarlosSi

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:48 am

Someone on flyer talk said it stands for North Korea; “where they learned about customer service”.

Actually I think their service is just fine if not average, aside from the fees which upset people.

WPvsMW

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:30 am

Random. You apply for a code, and informally express a preference if you have one.
First, you search to see if your preference(s) is/are available.
http://www.iata.org/publications/Pages/code-search.aspx

Then, you file the app.
http://www.iata.org/services/Documents/ ... r-form.pdf
If your app (and supporting docs are approved), you get an invoice and your codes (airline and accounting).
If you have a contact at IATA, you will have been on the phone to Montreal.
Last edited by WPvsMW on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

LAX772LR

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:33 am

red66mustang wrote:
hence why Southwest is WN rather than SW (already taken by Air Namibia).

Air Namibia didn't have that code back then, Seaboard World did.

Because Southwest couldn't get it, from what I've always understood, they wanted the code with the closest semblance to "west" or "western" that they could get, so WN it was.

There's also the AvGeek rumor that they chose the code for "we're nuts," based on a book that would later be penned about he rise of their business model. But I've never been able to find any actual evidence tying that to their IATA selection; only internet lore.

I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

oldannyboy

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:53 am

tb727 wrote:
flyboynk wrote:

:checkmark: If you talk to the people that have been around there for 20+ years, they speak very fondly of Ned. It has really changed a lot over the years but it had to, otherwise the company wouldn't be around today.

Yes, I have also heard the same.
I remember back in the day, Spirit was a small but very successful company with a great service ethos and extremely dedicated employees. Very different from the large LCC it is now.
Of course it had to change to survive.

OB1504

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:58 pm

Another former NK employee chiming in: I was told the same about it being a reference to Ned. I met a flight he was arriving on and one of the managers explained that he was why we had the NK code.

Spirit was born out of a Detroit-based travel company called Charter One in the 1980s and adopted the current name in 1992 when they got their first DC-9 and began scheduled service.

lugie

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:48 pm

I had never heard about that Ned's kids story but it sounds like a good way to reason Spirit's IATA code.

Actually their ICAO code NKS could be further proof of that now that I think about it.
DH4 E75 E90 CR9 CRK M88 319 320 321 332 333 359 733 73G 738 739 748 764 772 788
X3 LH 4U TP US SN EI FR IB LX LA CM UA DL AA AS WN
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW SJO PTY

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos