tmu101
Topic Author

Singapore's SIN-NYC Nonstop

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:08 am

Hi all, just curious if Singapore has announced which NYC airport will be the destination for their new nonstop SIN-NYC flight? Everywhere I've looked I haven't been able to find a definitive answer. Personally I hope EWR gets it due to recent history plus possible Star connection opportunities with United. Not to mention Singapore already serves JFK.

Thanks so much!

aeromoe

Re: Singapore's SIN-NYC Nonstop

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:11 am

I personally don't know but I hope EWR gets it (back) as well.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

HNL

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:23 am

My money is on JFK. The flight can survive without connections on the US end.
HNL - There's no place like it!

LAX772LR

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:34 am

Be funny if they end up doing both EWR and JFK... they have the number of incoming aircraft to do it.

And even if they didn't, a (reconfigured) A359 can always take over LAX and leave the actual -ULRs to do a route that requires their capabilities.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

TWA772LR

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:34 am

HNL wrote:
My money is on JFK. The flight can survive without connections on the US end.

But they don't hurt.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

PerfectGriffin

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:50 am

Would be JFK. This flight can't and shouldn't need connections to survive. The premium demand should be sufficient from SIN, and JFK is seen as more premium than EWR...

SQ789

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:02 am

JFK Probably
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

PolarRoute

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:32 am

I would guess EWR. They already serve JFK daily with A380, and from what I've heard they're doing great on both of the two legs (SIN-FRA and FRA-JFK). SQ doesn't have to risk cannibalizing their won route by duplicating it as a nonstop
But then again, SQ25/26 still have SIN-FRA and FRA-JFK traffic to sustain the flight.. so I can't really tell. But I get the feeling that SQ is not going to be too adventurous here. After all they have operated EWR and probably also have all the numbers that they need. EWR is safer option.

LAX772LR

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:41 am

PerfectGriffin wrote:
Would be JFK. This flight can't and shouldn't need connections to survive. The premium demand should be sufficient from SIN, and JFK is seen as more premium than EWR...

Except that if any of that were such a clear-cut case, then SQ had 9yrs and two market downturns to switch that flight over... and they never did, despite nothing impeding them from doing so.

So probably best not to speak so declaratively about factors that you couldn't actually substantiate if tasked; particularly in light of airline behavior that paints the exact opposite picture.

PolarRoute wrote:
I would guess EWR. They already serve JFK daily with A380, and from what I've heard they're doing great on both of the two legs (SIN-FRA and FRA-JFK). SQ doesn't have to risk cannibalizing their won route by duplicating it as a nonstop
But then again, SQ25/26 still have SIN-FRA and FRA-JFK traffic to sustain the flight.. so I can't really tell. But I get the feeling that SQ is not going to be too adventurous here. After all they have operated EWR and probably also have all the numbers that they need. EWR is safer option.

On the other hand, they still maintain their 1stops out of SFO despite the nonstop's existence, and plan to do the same at LAX.

No real reason that JFK couldn't do so as well, should they select it.

NZ321

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:52 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Be funny if they end up doing both EWR and JFK... they have the number of incoming aircraft to do it.

And even if they didn't, a (reconfigured) A359 can always take over LAX and leave the actual -ULRs to do a route that requires their capabilities.

Why would it be funny? This is exactly what they did before when they served EWR with A345 and JFK with A380.
Plane mad!

jfklganyc

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:25 am

LAX772LR wrote:
PerfectGriffin wrote:

Except that if any of that were such a clear-cut case, then SQ had 9yrs and two market downturns to switch that flight over... and they never did, despite nothing impeding them from doing so.

So probably best not to speak so declaratively about factors that you couldn't actually substantiate if tasked; particularly in light of airline behavior that paints the exact opposite picture.

PolarRoute wrote:

On the other hand, they still maintain their 1stops out of SFO despite the nonstop's existence, and plan to do the same at LAX.

No real reason that JFK couldn't do so as well, should they select it.

You are right, they never switched it to JFK...they closed EWR altogether and axed the flight.

Obviously, past experience wasnt a great one or they would have kept the 345s to keep the flight going.

If I had to bet, I would say EWR. But that is just a gut feeling that I can poke a lot of holes in

LAX772LR

Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:26 am

NZ321 wrote:
Why would it be funny?

Because most are expecting them to pick an NYC gateway and serve only that initial one, when they never said they'd only serve one of them.

NZ321 wrote:
This is exactly what they did before when they served EWR with A345 and JFK with A380.

I'm talking about nonstop.

jfklganyc wrote:
You are right, they never switched it to JFK...they closed EWR altogether and axed the flight.

...and if you're attempting to imply that that is a result of the gateway chosen, versus taking an equity deal on the only aircraft they had capable of operating the route; then your statement is as disingenuous as it is ignorant of history.

jfklganyc wrote:
Obviously, past experience wasnt a great one or they would have kept the 345s to keep the flight going.

That's called an anecdotal conclusion.

They had an aircraft that was rapidly depreciating beyond anything expected during acquisition, and they took the opportunity to get rid of it while salvaging what value that they could.

Of course, who could blame them, when nearly every other major airline did the same; the variant was such a comparative p.o.s. that only one scheduled carrier still operates it today, only 14yrs after its debut.

QueenoftheSkies

Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:45 am

LAX772LR wrote:

Both? Yea that’s not happening.

LAX772LR

Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:57 am

QueenoftheSkies wrote:
Both? Yea that’s not happening.

Says who? You don't know that.

I'm of course not suggesting that they'd start both at the same time, but there's absolutely nothing preventing them from eventually serving both again, and offering a nonstop to both, if they chose.

FlightLevel360

Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:12 am

Newark is too far from New York City. Why not just do passengers a favor and move the flight to JFK instead?
To me, it will always be:
- Bombardier CSeries
- Airbus A321neoLR and A321neoXLR
- EMBRACER ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, and ERJ-195
- MITSUBUSHI MRJ

Anti narrowbody-long range-twinjet gang. Long live the A380 and 747!

Natesantiago88

Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:23 am

FlightLevel360 wrote:
Newark is too far from New York City. Why not just do passengers a favor and move the flight to JFK instead?

I thought EWR is actually a faster commute than JFK, especially from Manhattan?

LAX772LR

Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:29 am

FlightLevel360 wrote:

Because it's just as fast, if not faster, to the financial areas in lower and midtown Manhattan than JFK; with the added benefit of serving the financial and pharma market in NJ as well. Both gateways have their advantages and disadvantages for serving the metro.

I mean, there's *reason* that nearly every major TATL airline, and many TPAC airlines, duplicate service to both.

onlyboeing

Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:51 am

EWR is physically closer to anywhere in Manhattan than JFK is.

But JFK is more seamless in terms of public transport than EWR is. Both require an AirTrain. JFK's AirTrain is pretty good whereas EWR's always has problems/delays and is much too small for the people it requires to carry.

From Manhattan:
JFK: Subway-AirTrain or Subway-LIRR-AirTrain (for faster service)
EWR: Subway-NJTransit/Amtrak-AirTrain or Subway-PATH-NJTransit/Amtrack-AirTrain

The fastest from Manhattan is to LGA. Subway-Q70 Bus. Takes no time at all. The airport has much to be desired, but it honestly it's all that bad.

onlyboeing

Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:51 am

EWR is physically closer to anywhere in Manhattan than JFK is.

But JFK is more seamless in terms of public transport than EWR is. Both require an AirTrain. JFK's AirTrain is pretty good whereas EWR's always has problems/delays and is much too small for the people it requires to carry.

From Manhattan:
JFK: Subway-AirTrain or Subway-LIRR-AirTrain (for faster service)
EWR: Subway-NJTransit/Amtrak-AirTrain or Subway-PATH-NJTransit/Amtrack-AirTrain

The fastest from Manhattan is to LGA. Subway-Q70 Bus. Takes no time at all. The airport has much to be desired, but it honestly it's all that bad.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos