Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl

Re: JetSuiteX moving to DFW and growing to 100 RJs

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:39 am

The parent company of Dallas-based private aviation service JetSuite filed for bankruptcy Tuesday.

Company had estimated $50 million in SuiteKey members unused flight credit funds which the company cant cover.

JetSuite Files For Chapter 11
https://www.forbes.com/sites/douggollan ... 621a70618c

Dallas private aviation service JetSuite’s parent company files for bankruptcy
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/loc ... ankruptcy/
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

LatinPlane

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:23 am

JetSuite (the fractional business side) was always a loss maker. Its business model was flawed and lost money during the best of times. Hence the reason it has folded so fast. JetSuiteX (the airline) was started to diversify its business model and eventually move away from the fractional side. I hope JetSuiteX makes it, but times will be tough.
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

cathay747

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:04 pm

LatinPlane wrote:
JetSuite (the fractional business side) was always a loss maker. Its business model was flawed and lost money during the best of times. Hence the reason it has folded so fast. JetSuiteX (the airline) was started to diversify its business model and eventually move away from the fractional side. I hope JetSuiteX makes it, but times will be tough.

I really hope they survive too, as they were a joy to fly on when I took them r/t PHX/LAS/PHX, and now they were going to launch PHX/SNA which I looked forward to as we have friends who live in LGB which isn't too far. Really a superb way to fly!
Try a Little VC-10derness

HII

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:38 pm

LatinPlane wrote:

Agreed, with a few caveats. JetSuite didn't do any fractional business, only private charter through their own owned/leased aircraft. A few years ago, Alex Wilcox would openly state that JetSuite hadn't made money in its 10 years of business, which is longer than many similar charter firms stay alive for.

JSX will be fine, and will continue to re-expand once things get going again.

tphuang

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:21 pm

Anyone knows if they got any money from PSP? I really wish they don't go under.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:39 pm

cathay747 wrote:
ricq wrote:
From a Mar 25 email:

"Guaranteed Single Seating for Social Distancing Onboard"

"Space is precious - especially when traveling - which is why JSX is temporarily limiting all public flights to 20 customers to ensure you’ll have an empty seat or an aisle, not a person, next to you. This will also further reduce the already small number of people in our private lounges, which are sanitized regularly.

I think every airline is able to do this; these days, with only ~1-10 pax on so many flights, it's easy.

The painful irony of this disaster is that there's never been a better time to fly (especially if you're a non-rev.), but you either don't want to risk exposure (and thus comply with stay-at-home/don't travel unless it's critical guidelines) or you don't have the money if you're a revenue pax because you're probably unemployed, or even if by the grace of God you've still got your job, you're maybe working at reduced pay or even if still full pay, you don't want to recklessly or unnecessarily spend money right now in case your job goes down the drain after all.

98% of the time its easy to social distance with plane EMPTY. The problem is when airlines cancel flights and a bunch of people get moved onto your flight last minute .

That's what happened recently on those two AA MIA-LGA and LGA -CLT flights (different dates). They were booked not full also but other flights got cancelled and multiple flights were moved onto those. They went from pretty empty to impossible to social distance quickly. That is why I refuse to fly right now. You think you have any empty flight then they cancel a bunch of flights and push people on last minute. You saw a few people post online their frustration with the full flights and being next to people when they were expecting a relatively empty flight. AA says the keeping middle seats open is a WHEN POSSIBLE policy not a guarantee.

AA guidelines say right now " restricting access to some seats, WHEN POSSIBLE, to give you more space"

UPlog

Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:58 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Company had estimated $50 million in SuiteKey members unused flight credit funds which the company cant cover.

I read hundreds of people held what was supposed to be "refundable" future flight credits which are now wiped out as part of the BK.
I fly your boxes

HII

Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:00 pm

UPlog wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

I read hundreds of people held what was supposed to be "refundable" future flight credits which are now wiped out as part of the BK.

All of the deposits were non-refundable, but I'm sure there will be quite the uproar once people start getting officially notified.

n7371f

Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:36 am

Unfortunately they'll have to get in line and stand behind the secured creditors who get first pickings.

HII wrote:
UPlog wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

All of the deposits were non-refundable, but I'm sure there will be quite the uproar once people start getting officially notified.

F9Animal

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:35 am

LAXintl wrote:
The parent company of Dallas-based private aviation service JetSuite filed for bankruptcy Tuesday.

Oh man, this is not good. So I take it this means JSX is under the same umbrella? I really like this little airline. Seeing how B6 is one of their backers, I doubt B6 will be of much help during this disaster, as they are too in a fight for survival. I really hope they can find their way through this.
I Am A Different Animal!!

HII

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:40 pm

F9Animal wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Oh man, this is not good. So I take it this means JSX is under the same umbrella? I really like this little airline. Seeing how B6 is one of their backers, I doubt B6 will be of much help during this disaster, as they are too in a fight for survival. I really hope they can find their way through this.

JetSuite and JSX have been separate for quite some time now. This won't affect JSX going forward. They're still "sister companies" in the public eye, but legally and financially they are completely separate for a while now.

BDubs1170

Thu May 14, 2020 2:42 pm

tphuang wrote:

Doesn’t appear that they did.

https://home.treasury.gov/policy-issues ... m-payments

JetSuite, the private air charter, was prohibited from applying for CARES Act funding because they were contemplating (and ultimately filed for) Chapter 11. I wonder if that affected JSX, or if JSX is similarly contemplating Chapter 11.

BDubs1170

Thu May 14, 2020 6:31 pm

HII wrote:
JetSuite and JSX have been separate for quite some time now. This won't affect JSX going forward. They're still "sister companies" in the public eye, but legally and financially they are completely separate for a while now.

I don’t know that this is entirely true. The JetSuite BK filing mentioned that JetSuite and JSX had a number of shared services and transactions and approximately $16MM in unsecured promissory notes between them. That filing was, uh, interesting by the way....JetSuite started in 2006 and was never profitable despite overlapping with one of the longest periods of economic prosperity in US history. I bet that one ends up in Chapter 7.

I also bet there are a number of JetSuite cardmembers who are wondering whether their combined $50MM+ in unused (and now lost) deposits went towards funding JSX’s rapid expansion. If I were a JetSuite cardmember who was out six figures I’d certainly have a lengthy list of questions for the debtor and JSX.

MO11

Thu May 14, 2020 8:34 pm

The company that filed for Chapter 11 is Superior Air Charter, which operates as JetSuite. Delux Public Charter, which operates as JSX Air, is a different company.

blueflyer

Thu May 14, 2020 9:15 pm

MO11 wrote:
The company that filed for Chapter 11 is Superior Air Charter, which operates as JetSuite. Delux Public Charter, which operates as JSX Air, is a different company.

Do they share a common ownership, or are they separate entities linked by marketing and brand agreements?

BDubs1170

Thu May 14, 2020 9:42 pm

blueflyer wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Do they share a common ownership, or are they separate entities linked by marketing and brand agreements?

This article suggests that both SAC and DPC are owned by the same parent entity, JetSuiteX, Inc.:

“The loan will be made by JetSuiteX Inc., which is Superior Air’s ultimate parent, and Delux Public Charter, LLC, another JetSuiteX affiliate, according to court papers. JetSuiteX isn’t included in the bankruptcy filing.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/private- ... 10726.html

HII

Fri May 15, 2020 12:12 am

blueflyer wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Superior Air Charter is wholly owned by JetSuitex, Inc, who also owns Delux Public Charter. No marketing or brand agreements, as they are separate in those aspects.

Important to note that the official corporations of JetSuite Inc, JetSuiteX inc, etc don’t have any operating activities or assets, only the operating companies below.

strfyr51

Fri May 15, 2020 3:08 am

GuruJanitor wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:
How is B6 benefiting, though? And Qatar, I assume that being a public charter, and avoiding TSA, they can't park at regular terminals. That wouldn't help feed QR, nor B6, they can't be Jet Blue Regional, as they'd be at different airports/(terminal vs. FBO)
Is there a larger plan at stake, however, taking on AS at DAL as a prelude to taking them over, (a QR funded B6 takeover of AS....)

Just don't understand what they get out of it...

If JetSuite moves to the North East Corridor, I can see it working out for all parties. High paying client wants to get from Doha to East Hampton? Qatar to Boston or JFK and a JetSuiteX flight out to HTO. Client in FLL/Miami wants to get to Saratoga for the Travers? B6 to JFK/LGA and then JetSuiteX up to Saratoga. Im just throwing out ideas, but they could fill a very high paying, albeit small niche from hub to wealthy outpost. Pretty different from the west coast model, but it could work in the north east.

So Pray tell? What might be the costs of flights like those you mention? And what about the lime costs to change carriers?

BP1

Fri May 15, 2020 3:36 am

JSX operates from FBO"s. JSX and the FBO's have invested in building private departure lounges at their facilities. JSX is, by far, a no-hassle, incredible experience. No other way to travel and the prices are comparable to AA, WN, and UA. Alex Wilcox and his teams in the C Suite, JSX Product, Board, Financing, and all other aspects make travel a joyful, simple, experience.
Stroopwafel Expert

BDubs1170

Fri May 15, 2020 4:34 am

BP1 wrote:
JSX operates from FBO"s. JSX and the FBO's have invested in building private departure lounges at their facilities. JSX is, by far, a no-hassle, incredible experience. No other way to travel and the prices are comparable to AA, WN, and UA. Alex Wilcox and his teams in the C Suite, JSX Product, Board, Financing, and all other aspects make travel a joyful, simple, experience.

Flew it once about a year ago and had a good experience; I would definitely fly it again. I just don’t know if the business model is sustainable to the point where it could ever be profitable.

Anecdotal, but let’s say you wanted to book a weekend trip from LA to Vegas next month. Roundtrip on Southwest right now is $90. Same flight on the JSX website is over $1200. The major carriers will likely slash prices into and potentially through 2021; does JSX have the balance sheet to remain competitive from a pricing standpoint and sustain that? I know JetBlue and Qatar made significant investments awhile back.

BP1

Fri May 15, 2020 4:52 am

Hello BDubs. Before COVID-19, when JSX was flying a full schedule, with 6-7 turns a day per aircraft, the fares were in line with WN, AA, UA, and AS. However, with the reduced capacity, it would make sense their current inventory is minimal. I do not work for JSX. However, once JSX ramps back up to the number of pre-COVID-19 daily segments, it is fair to say, their fares will return to normal levels.
Stroopwafel Expert

KLMatSJC

Fri May 15, 2020 5:28 am

BP1 wrote:
Hello BDubs. Before COVID-19, when JSX was flying a full schedule, with 6-7 turns a day per aircraft, the fares were in line with WN, AA, UA, and AS. However, with the reduced capacity, it would make sense their current inventory is minimal. I do not work for JSX. However, once JSX ramps back up to the number of pre-COVID-19 daily segments, it is fair to say, their fares will return to normal levels.

JSX advertises themselves to be a little premium ($130 vs $100 for a ticket), but I have seen them cheaper than the mainline carriers on many locations, and luckily got to take advantage of it once. They probably need a little better marketing, but they are starting to show up on OTAs, which should only help.

Can we change the name of this thread to something generic? It's been a while since the DFW news :)
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

blueflyer

Fri May 15, 2020 8:31 am

BDubs1170 wrote:
Anecdotal, but let’s say you wanted to book a weekend trip from LA to Vegas next month. Roundtrip on Southwest right now is $90. Same flight on the JSX website is over $1200. The major carriers will likely slash prices into and potentially through 2021; does JSX have the balance sheet to remain competitive from a pricing standpoint and sustain that? I know JetBlue and Qatar made significant investments awhile back.

Not only are you comparing the cheapest Southwest fare to the most expensive JSX fare, but you're not even getting the numbers right. the highest fare on JSX is $718. Business Select on Southwest is almost $600.

Besides, JSX isn't trying to compete with Southwest otherwise they'd fly planes with a few more seats. They're trying to attract passengers willing to pay a premium in order to go from home/office to the seat in the plane in less time than it takes to go from the LAS parking garage to the gate.

If I knew whether JSX would survive in this new economy, I'd start playing the stock market and trying to decide which private island I would buy with the profits I would make. But I do know Southwest and JSX do not compete. Full stop.

strfyr51

Sun May 17, 2020 5:45 am

Newark727 wrote:
Can you keep getting away with mainly business jet airports once you're moving 100 planes around, though?

if they don't have them parked all over one airport? Maybe so. Years ago I worked for a corporate FBO and we had 100 parking spaces outside and they were all full most every night at Palm Springs.

Varsity1

Sun May 17, 2020 6:40 am

strfyr51 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
Can you keep getting away with mainly business jet airports once you're moving 100 planes around, though?

if they don't have them parked all over one airport? Maybe so. Years ago I worked for a corporate FBO and we had 100 parking spaces outside and they were all full most every night at Palm Springs.

It's not the airplanes, it's the passengers. At SNA they were already wearing their welcome thin from passengers interfering with standard private jet operations. Crowding the lobbies, parking lots etc.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

BDubs1170

Sun May 17, 2020 10:23 pm

blueflyer wrote:
BDubs1170 wrote:

Not only are you comparing the cheapest Southwest fare to the most expensive JSX fare, but you're not even getting the numbers right. the highest fare on JSX is $718. Business Select on Southwest is almost $600.

Besides, JSX isn't trying to compete with Southwest otherwise they'd fly planes with a few more seats. They're trying to attract passengers willing to pay a premium in order to go from home/office to the seat in the plane in less time than it takes to go from the LAS parking garage to the gate.

If I knew whether JSX would survive in this new economy, I'd start playing the stock market and trying to decide which private island I would buy with the profits I would make. But I do know Southwest and JSX do not compete. Full stop.

They are absolutely competing with Southwest and other major carriers. Their whole schtick is that they offer a better and more convenience flying experience, and they’re betting that customers are willing to pay extra for that rather than fly on Southwest or another major.

I used Southwest as an example because they operate out of some of the same underserved west coast airports that JSX does such as SNA, Burbank, and Oakland.

Again, though, as an example on pricing: if I wanted to go from Burbank to Oakland for a weekend next month, I can do that flight on Southwest for $120 round trip right now. On JSX, it’s $300. Are people willing to pay 150% more for the JSX experience? Maybe they are. But if the majors are slashing prices for the next 18 months and the premium you pay to fly JSX increases exponentially, is that a sustainable business model? Alternatively, can JSX lower their fares as the majors are doing and still make the numbers work?

BDubs1170

Sun May 17, 2020 10:25 pm

BDubs1170 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

JetSuite, the private air charter, was prohibited from applying for CARES Act funding because they were contemplating (and ultimately filed for) Chapter 11. I wonder if that affected JSX, or if JSX is similarly contemplating Chapter 11.

Update on this—it now appears that JSX (Delux Public Charter LLC) received almost $9M in PSP funds. The list was updated a few days ago.

tphuang

Sun May 17, 2020 10:40 pm

BDubs1170 wrote:
BDubs1170 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Update on this—it now appears that JSX (Delux Public Charter LLC) received almost $9M in PSP funds. The list was updated a few days ago.

That's good, maybe this will keep them afloat for a while.

jetwet1

Sun May 17, 2020 10:52 pm

BDubs1170 wrote:
blueflyer wrote:
BDubs1170 wrote:

They are absolutely competing with Southwest and other major carriers. Their whole schtick is that they offer a better and more convenience flying experience, and they’re betting that customers are willing to pay extra for that rather than fly on Southwest or another major.

I used Southwest as an example because they operate out of some of the same underserved west coast airports that JSX does such as SNA, Burbank, and Oakland.

Again, though, as an example on pricing: if I wanted to go from Burbank to Oakland for a weekend next month, I can do that flight on Southwest for $120 round trip right now. On JSX, it’s $300. Are people willing to pay 150% more for the JSX experience? Maybe they are. But if the majors are slashing prices for the next 18 months and the premium you pay to fly JSX increases exponentially, is that a sustainable business model? Alternatively, can JSX lower their fares as the majors are doing and still make the numbers work?

JSX is certainly competing with WN and in some cases they are winning, would I pay double for a 1 hour flight, nope, would I way an extra $30-$50, yep and I have. As I stated earlier in the thread, if they had flights from LAS-LAX then I would be flying them every week, but they don't so I don't (pre CV19 of course) but for a part of the population they are almost perfect.

I used to fly LAS-BUR every Monday morning on WN, you would be amazed at the A list celebrities those flights get, I would be willing to be JSX picked up a few of those on to of people who are will to spend a few $$$ more over WN.

KLMatSJC

Sun May 17, 2020 11:01 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
I used to fly LAS-BUR every Monday morning on WN, you would be amazed at the A list celebrities those flights get, I would be willing to be JSX picked up a few of those on to of people who are will to spend a few $$$ more over WN.

I actually met comedian Jeff Ross at the LAS JSX terminal in 2018. He was going back to BUR and I was going to OAK.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

HII

Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:31 pm

A few articles have popped up about JSX eyeing Napa. Looks like it might be a good opportunity for the airport if it works out!

https://napavalleyregister.com/business ... 31a2b.html

https://www.northbaybusinessjournal.com ... range-cou/

F9Animal

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:03 pm

HII wrote:
A few articles have popped up about JSX eyeing Napa. Looks like it might be a good opportunity for the airport if it works out!

https://napavalleyregister.com/business ... 31a2b.html

https://www.northbaybusinessjournal.com ... range-cou/

During these times, I think it's a bit of a gamble. But, it should be no surprise that I am a huge fan of JSX. I just need them to get back into SEA and grow first.
I Am A Different Animal!!

FiscAutTecGarte

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:19 pm

I don't quite understand the relationship between J3 Jet and JetSuiteX. J3 Jet has 6 employees... yet seeks to be the prominent brand in this Napa Airport Venture... What risk are they assuming? I just don't understand why JetSuiteX wouldn't just do the Napa Airport base on it's own? What does J3 Jet bring to the table for JetSuiteX? Not being critical, I just have no idea....
learning never stops...

FischAutoTechGarten is the full handle and it reflects my interest. It's abbreviated to fit A.net short usernames.

KLMatSJC

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:29 pm

FiscAutTecGarte wrote:
I don't quite understand the relationship between J3 Jet and JetSuiteX. J3 Jet has 6 employees... yet seeks to be the prominent brand in this Napa Airport Venture... What risk are they assuming? I just don't understand why JetSuiteX wouldn't just do the Napa Airport base on it's own? What does J3 Jet bring to the table for JetSuiteX? Not being critical, I just have no idea....

It seems like JSX wants to actually build an FBO for themselves at APC (or at least be primary tennant). I don't believe they've done this at any other airport. They've just used existing infrastructure and done remodeling to existing spaces. With all the tourism going up there, especially during wine season, I think this actually will be a good venture for them

FiscAutTecGarte

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:31 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
FiscAutTecGarte wrote:

It seems like JSX wants to actually build an FBO for themselves at APC (or at least be primary tennant). I don't believe they've done this at any other airport. They've just used existing infrastructure and done remodeling to existing spaces. With all the tourism going up there, especially during wine season, I think this actually will be a good venture for them

So will J3 Jet own the terminal and JetSuiteX be the tenant? Is that the relationship?
learning never stops...

FischAutoTechGarten is the full handle and it reflects my interest. It's abbreviated to fit A.net short usernames.

HII

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:19 pm

FiscAutTecGarte wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:
FiscAutTecGarte wrote:

So will J3 Jet own the terminal and JetSuiteX be the tenant? Is that the relationship?

Seems to be likely here. JSX leases every other facility they have, but this might be like Burbank, where they have a substantial investment in the leasehold improvements themselves.