Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SR380
Topic Author

Cubana de Aviacion to add two jets in 2018

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:17 pm

According to ch.aviation CU could introduce two jets in 2018. Anyone has more info on that? I don’t have access to the web-site:

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... bilize-ops

dcajet

Re: Cubana de Aviacion to add two jets in 2018

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:54 pm

It says it is to stabilize operations, so most likely they may be dry or wet leased machines (A320s?) to cover for a portion of the Antonovs, Tupolevs and Illyushins that are grounded for lack of spares/money, etc.

leleko747

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:49 pm

Cubana is a true mess, just like the country.
How many jets of each type they have in the fleet... and how many of each type are flying currently?

dcajet

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:39 am

leleko747 wrote:
How many jets of each type they have in the fleet... and how many of each type are flying currently?

Off the top of my head, 2 out 4 TU-204 are airworthy, 50% of the AN-158 fleet and 2 out of 4 Il-96s. I am not sure about the leased A320s.

Apprentice

Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:43 pm

leleko747 wrote:

Leleko, Good Morning:
How is that You know Cubana? Did You work there?
Are You a cuban, have You been there lately?

Concerning Russian fleet , they (russian) had been having problems with spare for ever, since his industry always prioritarized militar clients.
So it is and old practice, to have more planes than needed, in orther to canibilize one or two of them to get rest off the fleet airworthiness.
I repeat, this is an old pratice, nor cuban neither russian, it is an old soviet practice.

Rgds

usflyer msp

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:00 pm

leleko747 wrote:

I think this statement is unfair. CU is doing the best they can under most unfortunate circumstances.

I think they should partner with DY - gives DY a place to put some the excess planes they have ordered and gives CU a way around the US sanctions...

Apprentice

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:15 pm

USFLyer, Good Morning:: “...way around US sanctions” it is not problem. Cubana may use leased planes a-la-AOM, for instance and nobody will inpound french propierty.
As I understand, what Cubana is looking for is RECIPROCITY. : cuban planes flying to US as US’s planes flight to Cuba.
Rgds

longhauler

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:15 pm

leleko747 wrote:
just like the country.

I find this to be an odd statement.

Every Cuban has health care, dental care, a place to work, a place to live, food to eat and all the education he desires. Countries that pretend to be "advanced", like the United States (for example) should aspire to such a metric.

Cubana does what they can with what they have and under the restrictions under which they have been placed.

PanHAM

Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Apprentice wrote:
USFLyer, Good Morning:: “...way around US sanctions” it is not problem. Cubana may use leased planes a-la-AOM, for instance and nobody will inpound french propierty.
As I understand, what Cubana is looking for is RECIPROCITY. : cuban planes flying to US as US’s planes flight to Cuba.
Rgds

Sounds all nice, but they would Need to lease A320s or B737 to fly to the US. I doubt that what they have would be accepted by the FAA.

I am for reciproxity, but there is no market for Cubans flying to the USA or Europe for the simple fact that there is no middle class that is able to erarn enough currencty to pay for the tickets. There are two Groups of People that make up the Cuban market, European and Canadian Holiday makers and US to Cuba VFR traffic.

That simply leaves no niche for Cubana.

usflyer msp

Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:48 pm

PanHAM wrote:
Apprentice wrote:
Rgds

Sounds all nice, but they would Need to lease A320s or B737 to fly to the US. I doubt that what they have would be accepted by the FAA.

I am for reciproxity, but there is no market for Cubans flying to the USA or Europe for the simple fact that there is no middle class that is able to erarn enough currencty to pay for the tickets. There are two Groups of People that make up the Cuban market, European and Canadian Holiday makers and US to Cuba VFR traffic.

That simply leaves no niche for Cubana.

I'm thinking CU and DY should do something way outside the box. Like CU wet-leases the 738's and 787's from DY but then DY leases the crews from CU. Technically, they would be CU flights operated by DY but with CU crews. I'm not an attorney but that might get around the sanctions since they are technically still DY aircraft.

For DY, something like Havana - Paris or London is probably more lucrative than selling $199 DEN-CDG roundtrips during the winter.

A388

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:00 pm

PanHAM is absolutely right. There is no local market from Cuba to travel abroad because it is too expensive for most people to travel. I hope this will change over time because Cuba has huge potential for growth once that market opens up.

A388

Thenoflyzone

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:15 pm

dcajet wrote:
leleko747 wrote:

Off the top of my head, 2 out 4 TU-204 are airworthy, 50% of the AN-158 fleet and 2 out of 4 Il-96s. I am not sure about the leased A320s.

The A320s were all returned to the lessor in April and May of this year.

https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Cubana.htm

PixelPilot

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:34 pm

longhauler wrote:
leleko747 wrote:
just like the country.

Every Cuban has health care, dental care, a place to work, a place to live, food to eat and all the education he desires. Countries that pretend to be "advanced", like the United States (for example) should aspire to such a metric.

Cubana does what they can with what they have and under the restrictions under which they have been placed.

You kidding right?

whywhyzee

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:43 pm

Remember that before their leased A320s left, they flew extensively to YYZ and YUL. That has stopped since those planes left. I can only imagine how important those routes are to Cuba as a whole. The number of Canadians traveling to Cuba is 6x the number of the next closest nation, Canada is by far the largest source of tourists in a country who's economy relies heavily on tourist dollars.

guyanam

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:12 pm

Apprentice wrote:
Rgds

If the US carriers are struggling to fill their planes why will Cubana do better. I am willing to bet that sanctions mean that US residents will not be able to use them as it is a Cuban asset (regardless as to whether the operations are outsourced). There is limited travel from Cuba to the USA and it wouldn't surprise if many who do travel have their tickets paid for by their US based relatives.

The last thing on the mind of the Cuban gov't is demanding that Cubana be allowed to fly to the USA. US carriers can better deliver what they want and that is more US visitors.

guyanam

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:20 pm

longhauler wrote:
leleko747 wrote:
just like the country.

Unemployment in Cuba is high and poverty is rampant. The cost of living is way beyond that of the average Cuban now that the market economy increasing dominates commercial transactions. There is a massive housing shortage and thousands of people become homeless when their buildings collapse on them.

I suggest that you read Animal Farm as far as their access to healthcare is concerned. Put it this way wealthy Cubans don't suffer the indignities in accessing care in the same way as ordinary Cubans do. Yes Cuba is a modern day Animal Farm. Its wealthy elites having the same attitudes that they did in the pre Castro era, and the irony is that many are the same people, the ones who didn't leave.

The USA isnt the only manufacturer of aircraft and so Cubana's problems aren't due to this. They have all of Latin America, Canada and Europe to service and yet they only have a tiny market share. What % of tourists to Cuba arrive on Cubana.

Cuba's problems are self inflicted.

Super80Fan

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:58 pm

longhauler wrote:
leleko747 wrote:
just like the country.

You should quit and go work for Cubana then, seems like you'd enjoy it.

avgeekjohn

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:36 pm

This will certainly help Cubana, especially considering their situation with Antonovs, Ilyushins, etc

http://aeronauticsonline.com/cubana-is-in-danger/

usxguy

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:08 am

And the folks working at the airports and hotels are *tightly* screened by the government. They have scripted responses to everything and the worker (note I am not calling them employee!) & his/her family could be severely punished/imprisoned for deviating from what the government wants them to say/do/act.

chrisp390

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:23 am

I heard a rumour they were looking at the ARJ21. Maybe to curry favor with the Chinese government? We will see if anything comes of it.

Apprentice

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:38 am

guyanam wrote:
Apprentice wrote:
Rgds

QUOTTE / If the US carriers are struggling to fill their planes why will Cubana do better. I am willing to bet that sanctions mean that US residents will not be able to use them as it is a Cuban asset (regardless as to whether the operations are outsourced). There is limited travel from Cuba to the USA and it wouldn't surprise if many who do travel have their tickets paid for by their US based relatives./ UNQUOTTE
The last thing on the mind of the Cuban gov't is demanding that Cubana be allowed to fly to the USA. US carriers can better deliver what they want and that is more US visitors.

Good Morning:

Cubana & Cuba do not want to demand flight permits. Cuba try, as always, to go human way, talking, since now they both have Diplomatic Relationship. They are looking for a “no issue” dialog, and escalate litle by litle. Remembering always that flying to US is a normal reciprocating attitude.

By the way, any other case between 2 nations where one’splanes light and another’s are blocked? (Forget Safety) Cubana had not flown regulary to US, no Safety Records to follow.

They do not expect to struggle to fill planes of nationals..As mentioned, is flights will be allowed, they will performed on leased a/c. To avoid a/c inpound. (There were in a similar situation in the 1980 - 1990, when flew to YYZ & YVX, were made mainly in Cubana planes. Canadian inspectors (Transport Canada), checked flights frecuently. From Mx point of view, they asked tubes ro be placed below the seats to block luggage just in case. Also ask to replace, on the back of the sears, the holder for glasses and books......

Cubana flew this years to Canada with COLORS,!. Same way it flight to Great Britain, France, etc.

Rgds

Apprentice

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:07 am

chrisp390 wrote:
I heard a rumour they were looking at the ARJ21. Maybe to curry favor with the Chinese government? We will see if anything comes of it.

Chrisp, Good Mornning:

Do You have any info about this chineese planes. Dependability, Performance?

Just remenbering when the copied an An-24 and wanted to sell

Rgds

guyanam

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:01 pm

Apprentice wrote:
d Morning:

Cubana & Cuba do not want to demand flight permits. Cuba try, as always, to go human way, talking, since now they both have Diplomatic Relationship.Rgds

Its very easy. If Cuba is angry that the USA doesn't allow Cubana to fly there (and I don't know this to be a fact) then all they need to do is to ban US carriers. Given that few of these routes are profitable I don't think that any carrier will be hurt.

Evidence is that Cubana doesn't have capacity and the gov't of Cuba isnt fighting to get routes that they cannot service.

Apprentice

Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Guyanm, Good Morning: Just to move out of just worlds, I will like to know if You have numbers to back your positions, or there is just your opinion.
Cuba had openly welcome tourist, from any were.
Prohibition for US’s citizen and limitation for cuban born US’s citizen to do a free travel to Cuba and, strong limitation for Cuban’s citizen to visit their family in the States, is not imposed by Cuba Goverment.
In case I did not explain clearly. US:
,1. DO NOT ALLOW US’s CITIZEN TO GO TO CUBA.
2 LIMIT CUBAN BORN/US’s CITIZEN TRAVEL AND EXPEND MONEY TO CUBA
3 STRONGLY LIMIT CUBAN CITIZEN TO TRAVEL TO US.
4. CUBANA IS READY TO LEASE METALS (AIRBUS/BOEING )TO FLY CUBA-USA ROUTING,” calming russian planes temors”

Guyanm, may be You consider that CUBANA AND CUBA, have to offer free flight and hotels to show that they are not angry and that they want and need a clear operation Cuba-USA?.

Below I will quotte a message I wrote, concerning real fears of Cubana.

Rgds

PD: Guyanm, please remenber, try to show some numbers to Your posts, if You are able to find them, to back statements..

Apprentice

Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Guyanm: Good Morning. Again not agree with a postulate that “ USA is one of largest sources of imports...”. Do You have numbers? Last time I Checked they were: EC, Canada and Venezuela were first..
In my opinion, and I have noyhing to back that, Cubana want to flight to US.: short flight, with a good fee, it’s just a dream
The problem is not in the planes: russian planes are as good as any, when exploited and maintaned as a plane. But they intend to use leased metals, A or B., but the real problem is terrorist atacks in US soil.
Around 78-79, they opened flights for cubans to meet family. Again, no figures, but there were plenty of charter flights between Cuba and USA, but Cubana suffered several attacks, from phone messages that “a Bomb is o/b” to hit a Cubana plane, purpodsely, wirh a Catering truck. All this time, local (Miami) radio station receiving terrorist phone call about placed or will place a bomb inside the plane.
Cubana quit, as any normall company, specially because it had lost a plane a DC-8, Leased to another bomb, near Guyana in 1976. (By the way, people who planed and put bomb on the plane, are, almost anybody free in Miami and are treat not as a terrorist, but as heroes. (I supose because they use Hats instead of “Kufiyyas”)
So at the end Cubana stop direct flights to USA and Cuba also stop receiving American Planes. It is called, reciprocity.
I work with mechanics who work at that time in Cubana, and always been touched by how they live they home for a flight and their thinking...
This was a difficult times for cubana only and, I do not thing that will be easy to restore link.
Rgds

guyanam

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:49 pm

Your entire diatribe is riddled with politics and yet you scream that I shouldn't discuss politics.

1. Most Americans do NOT want to visit Cuba. And why should they when Jamaica, The Bahamas, and other islands offer a better quality vacation based on what their expectations are, with minimal hassles. Many don't even want to visit a police state, one hostile to the US at that.

2. Its Cuba who is begging for them to visit because since Venezuela no longer gives you all "free" oil so you need US$. No isnt it ironic that Cuba needs the "evil" US$? Yes Raul Castro BEGGED US carriers to fly to Cuba and made NO demand that Cubana be allowed into the USA.

3. If US carriers are barred from flying to Cuba they would actually be glad. As of now their operations there are only to position themselves in the event that travel restrictions are lifted and visits to that country by Americans increases. As we see many have cut routes or capacity as they struggle to fill their planes. And no there are NOT enough Cubans travelling to the USA to offset the paucity of non Cuban Americans travelling to that island.

4. If US carriers are barred from entry Cuban citizens will suffer most as many desperately need the panties and toilet paper that their Miami relatives bring for them when they visit.

Cuba is NOT the center of the world. I live in NYC and I can assure you that NO ONE chats about traveling to Cuba. This is why US carriers are LOSING $$$ on flights to Cuba, apart from those out of Florida!

Apprentice

Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:26 am

Guyanam: Good Evening, pls try to postulate himself for nex elections. Country is loosing an oustanding leader.
1. If American do not want to visit Cuba, why are we losing our time.
Last notice: they are charmily welcome when in Cuba.
2, Cuba do not want tourism, because system will be fall do to “bad example”
3. Cuba want to barred western planes and fly /receive only eastern.
4. W/o tourism, not even Toilet Paper will be available and people wil start a raise.

Cuba is of course not the center of Universe, My opinion, as Cuba is not important, when some one (no important too) try to use new ideas, he always use the same that had beeb using for 50 years..

Rgds

Apprentice

Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:41 am

Hi: as per news, planes will be B737-? Leased from Viet Nam
Rgds

ahj2000

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:14 am

Could they pick up some semi-modern Russian aircraft that aren’t that old? How about those Tu-214s of Red Wings? Did they ever find a home?

mark1484

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:45 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
Could they pick up some semi-modern Russian aircraft that aren’t that old? How about those Tu-214s of Red Wings? Did they ever find a home?

They can't keep their own TU-204s flying at the moment. Out of the four they have I don't think any are flying.

dcajet

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:03 am

ahj2000 wrote:

The issues seem to be lack of $$ resources (this would affect any aircraft they could get their hands on) and specifically to Russian planes, the perennial issue of spares availability.

Apprentice

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:10 am

In my opinion, issue is another, totally different.
When ever a “rogue” country want to fly o start to doit to usa and certain another countries, aviation authorities “find” safety issues on they..
The same hapen if iplane is a Boeing or Airbus.. Worst for russian made planes.
For those who.. I just want to explain that russian planes are no make in an “empiric” way,.
As in western countries, they have to comply since the very begining with all regulations and limitations established by a russian agency similar to DOT-FAA: the infamous «НЛГС»

Should Cubana or any other a/c use to fly to USA, FAA inspectors will always find something wrong, while fancy or not, if russian fly same planes to US, no discrepancies are noted.

I dont understand, may be it is not “politics”, but again, do not understand.

At the same time, OACCI, vwery well, thanks You for asking....

Rgds

guyanam

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:55 pm

The FAA have way too many things to do than to worry about a sad little airline which has most of its planes in the garbage heap. Cubana will never be a major competitor to US carriers. The issue will be the various US carriers competing against each other. The FAA don't have to convince the US public that Cubana has safety issues. They already know this.

Also explain why 80% of Aeroflot's fleet are either Boeing or Airbus. Why does a Russian airline prefer planes made in the West?

Apprentice

Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:08 pm

Guyanam, hi. I will not argue about “Sad little airline” , it is not a technical concept..
When You say that Cubana’s tinny third country airlines, will never be a mayor competitor of USA’s airlines, You are discovering “Cold Water Glass” -nothing..
May be FAA have many things to do, but, At least in Miami, it Do worry about all airlines that land here as they should and are commanded to do. Should FAA believe that any airline have safety issues, it is a must for it to Stop flights to US.

90 AÑOS Y CONTANDO
Rgds/ Apprentice

Apprentice

Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:44 pm

Guyanam, Good Afternoon.
Although theese kind of forum is for people with certain knowledge in aviation, today I have some time to spare and try to explain. (Since You decided not to post Your experience in CA, I will consider it “0”)

QUOTTE// Also explain why 80% of Aeroflot's fleet are either Boeing or Airbus. Why does a Russian airline prefer planes made in the West? // UNQUOTTE..

To buy planes is a complicate process. With includes technical, subjetive and financial problems.
Money is heavy and play a big role in final decision.. Contrary at your thinking, when, for instance, european countries had placed an “Only Airbus “ order, there are discussions because others understand it as an consecion.
For Russian airlines is not different. you better ask them while they prefer no-russian planes. I don’t know, but I can thing about: better parameters, economics, better financing terms, Planes availables и тот далее, и тому подобно.
You may add that Pilots or some pilots, will have difficulties with cockpit’s indication in english. (Not the case but there had been ever strikes when company had bought a plane that disliked crew

Rgds

Rgds

guyanam

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:02 pm

Apprentice wrote:
Guyanam, Good Afternoon.
Although theese kind of forum is for people with certain knowledge in aviation, today I have some time to spare and try to explain. (Since You decided not to post Your experience in CA, I will consider it “0”)

QUOTTE// Also explain why 80% of Aeroflot's fleet are either Boeing or Airbus. Why does a Russian airline prefer planes made in the West? // UNQUOTTE..

To buy planes is a complicate process. With includes technical, subjetive and financial problems.
Money is heavy and play a big role in final decision.. Contrary at your thinking, when, for instance, european countries had placed an “Only Airbus “ order, there are discussions because others understand it as an consecion.
For Russian airlines is not different. you better ask them while they prefer no-russian planes. I don’t know, but I can thing about: better parameters, economics, better financing terms, Planes availables и тот далее, и тому подобно.
You may add that Pilots or some pilots, will have difficulties with cockpit’s indication in english. (Not the case but there had been ever strikes when company had bought a plane that disliked crew

Rgds

Rgds

Not sure what point you are trying to make or how it strengthens your argument that Cubana isn't on the brink of collapse. Cubana is a sad little airline with a fleet which is falling in its ability to operates its planes declines. Now why you think it can be competitive with some of the world's most powerful airlines becomes interesting.

Cuba knows full well that Cubana cannot compete into the USA. It also knows that Cubana cannot even services its existing routes and that Cuba cannot underwrite the losses that a US run will entail. Maduro is no longer supplying "free" oil.

3rd world nations are moving away from the "national airlines" concept. Look at all of the nations in the Americas and ask how many of them still retain state owned national carriers?

Apprentice

Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:31 pm

Guyanm, Good Morning: You mentioned the point, but did not recognized it:
Cuba.
Cuba do not think as your typical Third World country. (BY THE WAY, WERE ARE YOU FROM.) and, would not ask advises to these Thirld World Airlines.
Last time I checked, it’s counselors we’re french and Italian, and it rise it’s occupancy to very well full rates in its flight from Europe.
Been located in an embargoed island, it know how important for It is to have a proper airline, no american, nor Russian dependent
Cubana perfectly know his market and his possibilities, but if You are so secured about Cubana’s US-operation will entail loses for Cubana, please, better ask for opening and allow Cubana flights to US. Please also ask for Cubana’s Airplanes to receive same treatment and be provided same safety level as Americans’ planes received in Cuba.
Should conditions will be equal, result will be clearly and if You are right, may even be Cubana will enter in bankruptcy. (Just do not bet to strong on this to hapen, similar situations already took place in others strong markets: Canada, Europe, and no so strong: Latin America)

Rgds

guyanam

Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:30 pm

Apprentice wrote:
Should conditions will be equal, result will be clearly and if You are right, may even be Cubana will enter in bankruptcy. (Just do not bet to strong on this to hapen, similar situations already took place in others strong markets: Canada, Europe, and no so strong: Latin America)

Rgds

Cuba is served mainly by foreign carriers, even where Cubana flies to. These markets are strong because foreign carriers and tour operators provide levels of capacity that Cubana cannot.

Cuba doesn't care whether Cubana has access to the USA. Maybe its important to you but it isn't to the gov't of Cuba.

Apprentice

Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:47 am

Guyanam: please without aggressions, I will not benefit nor I will be employed by Cubana, should It Flight Cuba-USA

Again You miss an important factor, in Europe and Cañada, among others, there is a Cuban Tour Operator: “Sol y Son”.
They are specialists in Cuba product and, beside Cubana, they sell capacity for Main European Airlines.

You are also wrong in last point:
Cuba had stated clearly her interest in having an airline with reciprocity to all markets... on an open skyes rally..
In my opinion, If You will posted so much about Cubana and Cuba, You should at list read a litle more what they said.

Rgds

guyanam

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:12 pm

Apprentice wrote:
Guyanam: please without aggressions, I will not benefit nor I will be employed by Cubana, should It Flight Cuba-USA

Again You miss an important factor, in Europe and Cañada, among others, there is a Cuban Tour Operator: “Sol y Son”.
They are specialists in Cuba product and, beside Cubana, they sell capacity for Main European Airlines.

You are also wrong in last point:
Cuba had stated clearly her interest in having an airline with reciprocity to all markets... on an open skyes rally..
In my opinion, If You will posted so much about Cubana and Cuba, You should at list read a litle more what they said.

Rgds

Can you show proof that the Cuban gov't applied to the Us DOT for permission for Cubana to fly to the USA?
Can you show proof that the USA is preventing Cubana from flying into their markets?

All of the negotiations for air access were done during the Obama administration and he was definitely interested in facilitating greater ties with Cuba.

mark1484

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:26 pm

Interesting that Flightradar24 is showing CU2651 to Camaguey as AN4 equipment.
I thought they had stopped operating the vulnerable AN24.

Apprentice

Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:26 am

Mark, Good Evening. I worked on AN-24 doing any possible job for a mechanic..
I hate to work on it because it was an turboprop. I prefer to work in moderns them IL-62M & TU-154 B/M.
But I never ever was able to call An-24 “vulnerable”
This plane, perfectly “mature” had been improved with it cargo/militar sibling: An-26/ An-32, Nowdays An-24 operates with more powerful, reliable engines. An auxiliary turbo-generators, able to aporte some extra power for TO. Etc etc.
May You give me please the data about “low reability “ or any other that allow to call Vulnerable?

Rgds

mark1484

Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:10 pm

Apprentice wrote:
Mark, Good Evening. I worked on AN-24 doing any possible job for a mechanic..
I hate to work on it because it was an turboprop. I prefer to work in moderns them IL-62M & TU-154 B/M.
But I never ever was able to call An-24 “vulnerable”
This plane, perfectly “mature” had been improved with it cargo/militar sibling: An-26/ An-32, Nowdays An-24 operates with more powerful, reliable engines. An auxiliary turbo-generators, able to aporte some extra power for TO. Etc etc.
May You give me please the data about “low reability “ or any other that allow to call Vulnerable?

Rgds

Vulnerable because it is an old design that needs more care and attention than a newer model of aircraft. A DC9 would be classed as vulnerable in this day and age, in fact any aircraft manufactured in the 60s, 70s and 80s.
I have not said anywhere that the AN24 is unreliable or has "low reliability".
I was merely stating that CU have a flight listed on Flightradar showing the equipment as AN24. I thought CU had retired the type and was hoping that somebody could confirm whether this was indeed the case or not.

Apprentice

Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:17 am

Well, at least in Spanish, old is not a synonym to vulnerable.
An-24 Is a very old and not at all VULNERABLE design, with plenty of flying hours below her wings.
Rgds

mark1484

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:03 pm

Apprentice wrote:
Well, at least in Spanish, old is not a synonym to vulnerable.
An-24 Is a very old and not at all VULNERABLE design, with plenty of flying hours below her wings.
Rgds

So do you know if Cubana is operating the AN24 or not?
Regards

Apprentice

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:41 am

Hi:
Cubana IS NOT operating An-24
Last time I check, Cubana WAS operating AN-24RV, which is a modernized variant, with more powerful Engines, capable of Hot/High operations, with a new RU-19 auxiliary power unit, able to assist with extra power during Take Off
Some updates for cockpit instruments
It has an oustanding dependability when compared with previous versions, and also, outstanding Hot/High performances, so needed in Cuba’s summers.
Rgds

Apprentice

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:54 am

FYI:
An-24 has a long history:

An-24
Original design and prototypes. Twin-engined 44-seat transport aircraft.[1] Was initial one

An-24V-I
The initial export version of the An-24B 50-seat airliner with the early narrow chord inner wings, double-slotted flaps, single ventral fin, powered by two 2,550 hp (1,902 kW) Ivchenko AI-24A turboprop engines
An-24V-II
Export late production 50-seat mixed passenger, cargo and freight aircraft with extended chord inner wing, single-slotted flaps, twin ventral fins and powered by AI-24T(SrsII) engines.

An-24RV (Reaktivnyy [Uskoritel'] V – boosted V)
Turbojet boosted export version, similar to the An-24V but fitted with a 1,985-lb (8830 N) thrust auxiliary turbojet engine in the starboard nacelle.[1]

(Data from Wikipedia)

Rgds

mark1484

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:35 pm

Apprentice wrote:
FYI:
An-24 has a long history:

An-24
Original design and prototypes. Twin-engined 44-seat transport aircraft.[1] Was initial one

An-24V-I
The initial export version of the An-24B 50-seat airliner with the early narrow chord inner wings, double-slotted flaps, single ventral fin, powered by two 2,550 hp (1,902 kW) Ivchenko AI-24A turboprop engines
An-24V-II
Export late production 50-seat mixed passenger, cargo and freight aircraft with extended chord inner wing, single-slotted flaps, twin ventral fins and powered by AI-24T(SrsII) engines.

An-24RV (Reaktivnyy [Uskoritel'] V – boosted V)
Turbojet boosted export version, similar to the An-24V but fitted with a 1,985-lb (8830 N) thrust auxiliary turbojet engine in the starboard nacelle.[1]

(Data from Wikipedia)

Rgds

So Cubana IS operating a version of the AN24? Do you have an idea on the registration or frame number?

Regards

WorldFlier

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:28 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
longhauler wrote:
leleko747 wrote:
just like the country.

You kidding right?

If I were poor and sick in any country other than Japan, Korea, Canada or Western Europe, I'd prefer to get sick in Cuba.

Nobody in their right mind should compare it to the United States, unless you happen to be poor in which case you're better off in Cuba.

guyanam

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:45 pm

WorldFlier wrote:
[If I were poor and sick in any country other than Japan, Korea, Canada or Western Europe, I'd prefer to get sick in Cuba.

Nobody in their right mind should compare it to the United States, unless you happen to be poor in which case you're better off in Cuba.

Except that poor Cubans don't agree with you as they flee, using any option available to them. Also the poor of Mexico, Jamaica, Haiti and the DR also don't see Cuba as an option, yet the USA is firmly in their focus.

Most people aren't sick so if one needs to be sick to benefit from living in Cuba it just doesn't seem to make sense.

Cubana the airline is like Cuba the country. Its a mess and this is not because of the embargo. They have tons of planes that they can select and tons of routes to fly that have nothing to do with the embargo. So what's their excuse?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos