Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Super80Fan

Re: WN 1380 LGA-DAL emergency landing at PHL

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:10 pm

RIP. Comparing it to the overrun at MDW the flight number will definitely be retired and if the plane isn't written off the tail number will be changed.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

toneale

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:12 pm

"We are single engine and... that's it," she says when ZNY asks for a bit more detail. I don't think I heard her say anything about possible decomp at that point but surely they knew at that stage.

I was perplexed by this as well. They never mentioned the decompression during any of the calls I heard.

fsnuffer

zakelwe wrote:
Tod wrote:
DfwRevolution wrote:

8.6 PSI pressure differential is a significant force when you do the math.

It's the equivalent of taking a deep sea submarine down to a depth of

about 20 feet.

True

That is accounting for the pressure spread out across the entire fuselage. I am not a math major but having thousands of cubic feet of air vent through a one foot window opening in a matter of seconds would tend to create significant air-stream velocity/vacuum.

MSPSXMFLIER

spacecadet wrote:
MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
[
Exaggerations like this from an overly emotional and hyper passenger do not help matters. Unless accurate information can be provided about an incident, stay off social media completely. I’ve seen this woman’s comment already picked up on a number of local news websites and rebroadcast as fact.

It's not any passenger's responsibility to stay off social media. She was on this plane; you weren't. You have more of a responsibility not to comment on what did or didn't happen than she does.

Well, I disagree with you, some people should stay off of social media. Inaccurate social media texts get picked up by media outlets and are passed along until something more concrete and fact backed is released and that could be hours, depending on the emergency. In the meantime, you have family members, etc... reading this bogus stuff and wondering just how horrible this situation is and if someone they know has been injured or has been killed.

SocalApproach

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:13 pm

I feel like I’ve seen Southwest engine explosions before. What’s going on over there at WN? The last time this happened only a dent in the fuselage. This time a window blown out. Yikes!

CarlosSi

Rest In Peace to the victim.

At least, although hoping these are very few, air safety will grow significantly safer each time this happens.

Super80Fan wrote:
RIP. Comparing it to the overrun at MDW the flight number will definitely be retired and if the plane isn't written off the tail number will be changed.

What’s the reasoning behind changing the registration number? Same as changing the flight number?
Last edited by CarlosSi on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Channex757

Re: WN emergency landing at PHL

Bald1983 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
With all of the bickering that occurs amongst fanboys here, it's nice to see the AA stair truck and buses out assisting. I'm certain WN would return the favor at BWI or DEN.

The "bickering" is among people who, for some reason decide their preferred carrier is the best and the rest are dog poo. When things happen, the important things come to the forefront. I recall in 1978, a Continental Airlines DC-10 blew a tire on takeoff, aborting the takeoff. A fire broke out. Assistance from other airlines vehicles were made for the crew and passengers. Not unusual.

There's a famous picture of a VS A340 that had an undercarriage malfunction at Heathrow. It landed on left main and bump wheel plus the outboard 3 and 4 engines.

It came back from the runway on BA low loaders supporting it, despite Branson and BA being at each others throat in court.

When there is an incident the foolishness stops and it's all hands to the pump. Airlines pay it forward that way.

hayzel777

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:16 pm

Makes you wonder if she was wearing her seatbelt.

MSPSXMFLIER

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:17 pm

D L X wrote:
MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
dmtroyer wrote:
"My SW flight from NYC to DAL just blew an engine and the window blew out mid flight. I just saw a human being fly out of a plane 40,000 feet above. I’ve never been more terrified in my life"

https://twitter.com/cassface321/status/ ... 9976086530

Exaggerations like this from an overly emotional and hyper passenger do not help matters. Unless accurate information can be provided about an incident, stay off social media completely. I’ve seen this woman’s comment already picked up on a number of local news websites and rebroadcast as fact.

Never mind that it looks like her account is pretty god damn accurate so far.

Really? “I just saw a human being fly out of a plane 40,000 feet above”? Hardly accurate.

dmtroyer

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:19 pm

toneale wrote:
"We are single engine and... that's it," she says when ZNY asks for a bit more detail. I don't think I heard her say anything about possible decomp at that point but surely they knew at that stage.

I was perplexed by this as well. They never mentioned the decompression during any of the calls I heard.

Also curious why this wasn't mentioned, although it was audible that the Pilot was breathing through a mask.

Super80Fan

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:20 pm

CarlosSi wrote:

At least, although hoping these are very few, air safety will grow significantly safer each time this happens.

Super80Fan wrote:

What’s the reasoning behind changing the registration number? Same as changing the flight number?

Yep, they don't want it associated with this accident. In the MDW case, they changed the tail number from N471WN to N286WN.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

WaywardMemphian

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:20 pm

Well, I windex where this plane had it's last check at, In house or contracted out. Expect this issue to get much more attention

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... ch-in.html

speedbored

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:23 pm

dmtroyer wrote:
toneale wrote:

Also curious why this wasn't mentioned, although it was audible that the Pilot was breathing through a mask.

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate.

Maybe they were just busy with the first two at that point. They definitely mentioned the damage and the passenger later on in the ATC that I listened to, asked for medical assistance to be provided, and told the controller that there was no fire.

george77300

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:24 pm

RogerMurdock wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
If the passenger has died the ends the run since 2009 of no passenger deaths on US 121 carriers.

9 and a half years. The safest stretch in the history of aviation? May there soon be a longer streak and beyond...

As a US stat then yes. Longest period without a fatality in US history.

rjsampson

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:28 pm

CarlosSi wrote:

:checkmark: :pray:

Indeed. From all reports I've read: We can't tell if the victim died upon decompression, or died of her injuries afterwards. The media suggests that she died of her injuries afterwards. None of us can point fingers at CFM, Boeing, WN, Maintenance... Until we understand why that engine suffered an massive Uncontained Failure.

But as CarlosSi said: This event, even in the saddest way, will improve aviation safety.
Last edited by rjsampson on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. Unfortunately, we're grounded :(

Super80Fan

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:30 pm

RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

LAX772LR

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:33 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
zrb2 wrote:
Holy cow, that is serious. Hoping the critical person can make a full recovery.

On another note, people think i'm a bit silly because i don't pick seats parallel to the engine. I'm either in the front or in the back, for this rare reason.

I have never thought about that on a jet aircraft. But I was on a dash 8 once right in line with the prop and couldn't help but think if that thing comes off I'm going first...I starred at the prop for most of the flight.

That's exactly what happened on DL1288 at PNS in 1996.

alasizon wrote:
Birds at FL320 is pretty much a non-starter.

That's not true at all.

Ruppell's Griffon vultures, Demoiselle cranes, Common cranes, Bar-headed geese, and probably plenty of other species that I don't know about-- have all been observed flying over 30,000ft.

Granted, none in this area... but still. :)
Last edited by LAX772LR on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

LAX772LR

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:35 pm

Aeroplasma wrote:
Wasn't there another Southwest 737 incident with an engine not long ago?

yes, August 2016

Aeroplasma

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:36 pm

Wasn't there another Southwest 737 incident with an engine not long ago? I understand that the other incident was nothing like this, where an engine experienced an uncontained failure. Also, kudos to the pilots for making a safe landing. Also sad to see that a passenger had passed away during the freak incident (RIP).

flyPIT

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:41 pm

george77300 wrote:
As a US stat then yes. Longest period without a fatality in US history.

Longest period without a passenger fatality.

Lets not forget about UPS 1354 in which both crew members died.
FLYi

Bald1983

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:42 pm

hayzel777 wrote:

Hard to say but the decompression would have been very violent.

LAX772LR

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:44 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

To this date I still don’t understand how the FAA can allow passengers on MD-80s to be seated right next to the engine like that. Uncontained engine failures are rare, but if one occurs with pax sitting in those last few rows, they are guaranteed to die. Blocking off the last few rows or moving the galley aft would easily safeguard against that, but here we are 22 years later and it’s still allowed.

I've always wondered the same as well.

LorenzoSchaaf

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:45 pm

http://aeronauticsonline.com/engine-exp ... st-flight/

A nice short article that sums everything up. Will be updated with any recent news

DarthLobster

LAX772LR wrote:

To this date I still don’t understand how the FAA can allow passengers on MD-80s to be seated right next to the engine like that. Uncontained engine failures are rare, but if one occurs with pax sitting in those last few rows, they are all but guaranteed to die. Blocking off the last few rows or moving the galley aft would easily safeguard against that, but here we are 22 years later and it’s still allowed.
Last edited by DarthLobster on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BoeingGuy

hayzel777 wrote:

It doesn't matter. The pressure differential at that point will likely suck someone right out of their seat belt.

If you recall the Airport movie, which was technically accurate. They are talking about this very thing. Joe Patroni relates how a window shattered on a MATS plane at 25,000 feet and sucked someone out. He also said the person sitting next to the window seat will also get sucked out.

It's very unfortunate this woman didn't survive. It is a stroke of luck that it wasn't far worse.

sgbroimp

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:47 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
Seems eerily similar to Southwest 3472, doesn't it?

Yes, if you look at photos of both events a tech may see differences but to most they are almost duplicates. So you have same airline, same aircraft type, almost same date of manufacture, likely near same vintage of engine (though not necessarily near same construction date). Could be a coincidence but all those "sames" demand very close attention and the NTSB are not big believers in coincidences, nor should they be....

tjcab

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:49 pm

dmtroyer wrote:
Elementalism wrote:
They test these engines for failure. But it seems like when they fail in real life they are uncontrolled more often than not. That was a detonation. Lucky there wasnt more structural damage to the wing and fuselage.

My anecdotal guess is that if it was contained it would be a non-event and we'd never hear about it.

One cannot expect to hear about every single incident. This is true about most news items.If it something is a non-event, then it would likely not make it to the news. I am trying to understand the point of your statement.

ual747den

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:51 pm

WN732 wrote:
WN732 wrote:
NTSB confirmed she died.

WN's website has changed to a broken heart.

southwest.com

I don't see anything like that on their website. Everything looks normal to me.
Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right

dampfnudel

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:

Super80Fan wrote:

Yep, they don't want it associated with this accident. In the MDW case, they changed the tail number from N471WN to N286WN.

I understand changing the flight number after a fatal crash as well as protecting the airline’s image by spray painting the name/logo of the crashed frame, but changing the reg. number of an aircraft after an incident like this sounds dumb to me or even sketchy like the airline has something to “hide” when a simple google search will inform anyone who wants to know.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

highflier92660

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:53 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
highflier92660 wrote:
The first officer, who I'm assuming is the non-flying pilot handling communications, is emotional but still quite calm as she relays part of the aircraft is missing, calls for medical equipment to meet the flight and that someone was possibly sucked-out. Riveting.

You would assume the communicator is the PNF, and that the captain would be flying, but in an emergency like this, it's not entirely-clear how the captain chose to divide up the duties. The other pilot sounds younger and a bit more tentative than the female, who is very authoritative and just sounds more experienced. At least on the audio that I have heard. You're probably right, though, and she did a good job.

In an emergency situation the CA will assign the flying duties to the FO. This is because the CA needs to make decisions, communicate and run checklists. This is exactly what happened here. The Female voice was the CA and the FO was flying.

You are correct. The Southwest captain was identified as 56-year-old Tammie Jo Shults: https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/tammie-j ... gine-hero/

usxguy

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:54 pm

whats interesting is they did not declare an emergency so far in... I'm up to 9:40 and the pilots have yet to call mayday.
xx

scbriml

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:55 pm

PolarRoute wrote:
Another uncontained engine failure from GE following AF066 and SW3472. I wonder if this is just coincidence?

None of those are "GE engines".

CFM are not GE, they are Safran as much as GE. EA are not GE, they are PW as much as GE.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

rjsampson

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:56 pm

boeing737max wrote:
richcam427 wrote:
KICT wrote:
Have we tried thoughts and prayers yet? It works for everything else.

So does being a dick, in your case at least.

I thank you for this response. Well deserved for such an obnoxious comment.

I thank you as well... I think I got hit by another poster suggesting that. I mentioned that "thoughts and prayers" are wholly appropriate. For all of us that don't work for NTSB Investigation Unit, sometimes that's the best things us armchair pilots/engineers/MROs, etc. can do.

Subsequently, the NTSB has been more than effective in ensuring conclusive identifying causes, issuing AD's, and continuing to make everyone safer, in the safest form of transportation on the planet.

Let's reserve judgement, and share what we know.
Last edited by rjsampson on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. Unfortunately, we're grounded :(

luv2cattlecall

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:57 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

To this date I still don’t understand how the FAA can allow passengers on MD-80s to be seated right next to the engine like that. Uncontained engine failures are rare, but if one occurs with pax sitting in those last few rows, they are all but guaranteed to die. Blocking off the last few rows or moving the galley aft would easily safeguard against that, but here we are 22 years later and it’s still allowed.

How many people have flown on those and the 717 in the past 22 years? And how many of them would have been in car accidents if they had driven instead due to higher fares? For all we know, Airtran may never have existed with such a rule - since losing 5 seats would have wiped out and hope of being profitable.

nine4nine

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:04 pm

A few observations I see just from the photos,

The main fan looks intact and most of the damage is forward of it. I’ve read on this site before in an engine failure like this that the air intake cowling is pressurized and that there has been instances of them being breached and blown apart like this? Is that true?

Also all of the cowling latches and fasteners are open, I’m guessing from the force of the explosion and or vibration from drag? Is that normal in a situation like this?
717, 727-100, 727-200, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 742, 748, 752, 753, 762, 763, 772, 77W, 787-10, DC9, MD80/88/90, DC10, 319, 220-300, 320, 321, 321n, 332, 333, CS100, CRJ200, Q400, E175, E190, ERJ145, EMB120

SteveXC500

Astronage wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:
Has anyone looked at FR24? Their decent appeared very controlled and not erratic, as some passengers/media seem to be stating.

You have to remember that most passenger have never experienced an decompression induced emergency descent. To them it might very well look like the plane is in a dive.

I agree with your statement 100%. AND, I have now seen some more accurate metrics where they did descend 3,000ft/min. A bit more than normal. But, I still feel this was likely a well-controlled incident by the crew/pilots. Hats off to them for sticking to their training. Unfortunately, the "media" will love to portray this as a disaster of epic proportions.

B747forever

That photo of the engine looks shocking. Could have ended much worse.
Work Hard, Fly Right

NYPECO

zrb2 wrote:

On another note, people think i'm a bit silly because i don't pick seats parallel to the engine. I'm either in the front or in the back, for this rare reason.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear the smashed window was parallel to the engine, rather several rows behind.

PDX88

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:06 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
To this date I still don’t understand how the FAA can allow passengers on MD-80s to be seated right next to the engine like that.

Come on... When exactly was the last time someone died sitting in that row? Should the seats adjacent to the props on Qs, ATRs, and Saabs be removed as well?

jco613

Re: WN emergency landing at PHL

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:07 pm

jco613 wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
Holy cow

Lot's of damage to the engine and some to the wing.

Nah, they can still fly!

"For those passengers continuing to Dallas this is your aircraft...stay in your seats so we can get an accurate thru count."

Want to apologize for this joke now that we know the severity of the incident and express my condolences to the family of the dead passenger.

DFWflightpath

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:07 pm

mikelive wrote:
I am so proud of my fellow Co-Hearts in their actions in getting that aircraft safely on the ground. Although I was scheduled to have today off, I am headed in to help support my friends and co-workers.

thank you for your work. I'm sure pax and employees appreciate it!

alasizon

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:08 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

alasizon wrote:
Birds at FL320 is pretty much a non-starter.

That's not true at all.

Ruppell's Griffon vultures, Demoiselle cranes, Common cranes, Bar-headed geese, and probably plenty of other species that I don't know about-- have all been observed flying over 30,000ft.

Granted, none in this area... but still. :)

As far as I know, every bird known to fly above FL250 lives across one ocean or the other from the US..

dampfnudel wrote:
I understand changing the flight number after a fatal crash as well as protecting the airline’s image by spray painting the name/logo of the crashed frame, but changing the reg. number of an aircraft after an incident like this sounds dumb to me or even sketchy like the airline has something to “hide” when a simple google search will inform anyone who wants to know.

Passengers doing a quick Google Search of their plane's registration after a casual flight would return the results from the incident. It takes more effort to go dig as opposed to accidentally finding it.

DarthLobster wrote:

And the number of uncontained engine failures on MD-80s resulting in passenger deaths outside of the incident at PNS is how many? Safety policies exist and develop because at some point, something happened that caused an injury or other negative impact. By that same logic, should we ban sitting next to the engine on a Dash 8 and ATRs?

Cubsrule wrote:
With all of the bickering that occurs amongst fanboys here, it's nice to see the AA stair truck and buses out assisting. I'm certain WN would return the favor at BWI or DEN.

No matter what happens, whenever there is an incident, it doesn't matter what company you work for or what station you are in, its all hands on deck.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

mikelive

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:09 pm

I am so proud of my fellow Co-Hearts in their actions in getting that aircraft safely on the ground. Although I was scheduled to have today off, I am headed in to help support my friends and co-workers.

DaveFly

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:13 pm

CNN just announced that ‘the 737 is a plane that actually has fuel tanks in the wings.’

Just wow!
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

NYPECO

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:13 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
Very sorry to hear this tragic news. Thoughts and prayers with the families, friends, and all who are close to this, including WN employees.

NYPECO wrote:
zrb2 wrote:

Unfortunately it doesn't appear the smashed window was parallel to the engine, rather several rows behind.

Too soon to debate this with what we know, but I would think it would make sense to be behind a bit. After all the wind is several hundred mph/kmh over the wing.

Yeah I agree that would make sense. The picture from Dailymail shows the broken window farther back.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/ ... 031372.jpg

RDUDDJI

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:14 pm

Very sorry to hear this tragic news. Thoughts and prayers with the families, friends, and all who are close to this, including WN employees.

NYPECO wrote:
zrb2 wrote:

Too soon to debate this with what we know, but I would think it would make sense to be behind a bit. After all the wind is several hundred mph/kmh over the wing.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

RDUDDJI

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:14 pm

ACCS300 wrote:
Pardon my ignorance but is this Southwest's first-ever fatality?

It's debatable, they had a person die a few years ago in a RWY overrun at MDW, but they were in a car that was hit by the aircraft. Don't know of any besides that.
Last edited by RDUDDJI on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

ACCS300

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:15 pm

Pardon my ignorance but is this Southwest's first-ever fatality? *edit, I know the 2005 Midway incident result in one death but it was not a passenger.
Last edited by ACCS300 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N415XJ

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:15 pm

ACCS300 wrote:

According to wikipedia there were 2 deaths related to a WN flight prior to this incident, one in 2000 and the other in 2005.

The one in 2000 was interesting- the person who died had attempted to gain entry to the cockpit and died as a result of injuries incurred from other passengers who tried to restrain him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest ... _incidents

EDIT: wording
Last edited by N415XJ on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

indcwby

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:17 pm

ACCS300 wrote:

First Passenger, yes. But there was a MDW incident where a/c skid off runway and hit a car. A child was killed.
A319, A320, A330, A340, B717, B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, CRJ7, DC10, MD88, MD11, E145, E175
"Always remember that you fly an airplane with your head, not your hands."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos