Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cedric13

Re: Middle East Airlines (MEA) decision next month: Airbus A330-900neo or Boeing 787-9

Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:18 am

ramzi wrote:
Cedric13 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
I see the A339 winning out, and possibly with more than just 4 (OD-MEE can be kept purely as a VIP plane). It seems as though 6 would be useful, and then A21Ns to replace the four San Marino-registered non-wingleted A320s. The additional plane could be used to launch YUL at 3x weekly (I'd be surprised if they return to JFK). A fleet size of about 25 would be close to ideal (7 A339s, 1 A332 for VIP, 16-17 A21Ns.) One could also be used to add a second daily to London, albeit to Gatwick.

I'm actually surprised that MEA doesn't serve AMS (in fact, there is no nonstop between the two markets at all, not even on KLM or Transavia). I'm also surprised that MEA didn't consider the A330-300 Regional before...they don't need the range, but they do need the seat capacity and cargo lift.

Mea isn’t retiring any a330, Amsterdam is going to be linked with Transavia starting November 1st and London is already served by a double daily...
They are looking into a comeback to the US(need gov approval)/Canada market...
Beirut airport is now serving nearly every European destination (hub and non hubs) so they are surely looking to expand where the biggest demand is and that is the Americas (south and north)

I highly doubt we will see approval for the US/Canada anytime soon. The CEO said there is not plan in the near future to serve any of those destinations. Keep in mind if they fly directly to places like JFK and YUL a big bulk of their traffic to Geneva, London, and Paris will be lost. Paris thrives on the AF partnership, and Geneva thrives on the Air Canada code share. The interesting question is with non stop service, will they slowly kill BA and LH, both of which carry many transatlantic fliers from Beirut.

I have read somewhere that the US and Canada are sending a delegation to Beirut to check out the airport security and we all know when the expansion is complete something is going to happen in terms of getting direct flights to the americas...
As for traffic on flights: only the 2am flight of mea to cdg connects to a handful of North American destinations as they tend to leave Paris early... Most of the connectors in Paris transit to New York, Atlanta, Miami and South America so direct flights to JFK or YUL won’t hurt the traffic very much because remember there is high demand on the Beirut-Paris route itself.

artofzen

Re: Middle East Airlines (MEA) decision next month: Airbus A330-900neo or Boeing 787-9

Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:46 am

artofzen wrote:
MEA used 720s as well.

Make that TMA 767F.

hisham

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:02 pm

Nonstop to NA? Keep dreaming.

ME720

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:58 am

hisham wrote:
Nonstop to NA? Keep dreaming.

Might never happen...
Might happen within a few months.
A stroke of pen, actually.. if a settlement is ever reached with Iran and its proxies. Nothing is impossible or far fetched in the Middle East.

hisham

Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:31 pm

Yeah Bill Gates giving you a billion dollars is also a stroke of a pen. But it’s not going to happen either.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos