Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ncflyer
Topic Author

Bathroom cleaning on long haul flights

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:02 pm

I just took my first flight US to Asia, on a US3 carrier, and by the time we landed I used a bathroom that was absolutely disgusting, would have easily been closed had the plane had a department of health. The garbage was overflowing with beer cans and other non bathroom related garbage, , the floor was soaking wet, there was more garbage in the wash basin. Figure 200 people in coach, 4 bathrooms, each bathroom is used at least 100 times, let alone diaper changes, or the inevitable sick passenger or two when you have that many people. It would be nice if people treated the bathroom respectfully, but people are people. . .

What are airline practices here?

Let it be-- as seemed to be the case on my flight? It will be cleaned at landing.
If flight attendants get to it, great, if not, so be it?
Flight attendants must clean bathroom as part of their job duties?
Cleaning attendant flies on plane for such long hauls?

rufusmi

Re: Bathroom cleaning on long haul flights

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Which airline was it?

When I flew Hainan they were extremely particular about the lav cleanliness, same with Qatar. Seemed like they were in there cleaning after almost every single person.

Jayafe

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:15 pm

ncflyer wrote:
I just took my first flight US to Asia, on a US3 carrier...

I would say that's the key part of the story.

dtw2hyd

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:21 pm

ncflyer wrote:
I just took my first flight US to Asia, on a US3 carrier, and by the time we landed I used a bathroom that was absolutely disgusting, would have easily been closed had the plane had a department of health. The garbage was overflowing with beer cans and other non bathroom related garbage, , the floor was soaking wet, there was more garbage in the wash basin. Figure 200 people in coach, 4 bathrooms, each bathroom is used at least 100 times, let alone diaper changes, or the inevitable sick passenger or two when you have that many people. It would be nice if people treated the bathroom respectfully, but people are people. . .

Let it be-- as seemed to be the case on my flight? It will be cleaned at landing.

Some <cultures/countries/individuals> don't have the concept of cleanliness. There is nothing you can do about it. Modern vacuum based aircraft toilets making the situation worse.

I read some airlines use lavs as dumping ground for garbage, used blankets/pillows .. while preparing the cabin for landing. May you were caught in the process.

Cleaning attendant is an excellent idea but doesn't work. For western carriers it would cost too much, for third world carriers, a low wage cleaning attendant is a flight risk.
All posts are just opinions.

asuflyer

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:48 pm

Cleaning the lavatories are not part of the responsibilities in the US3's FA contracts, as opposed to some airlines whose FA's regularly clean the lavatories. Different cultures have different bathroom habits and toilet styles, especially in Asia. Some first-time flyers are not accustomed to using an aircraft lavatory, think Hajj charter flights, for example.

I know some US3 crew who clean the lavs because they have an issue with cleanliness but they are generally in the minority. Other airlines such as KE and JL have a fair amount of cleaning products onboard for the FA's disposal. B6 requires their FA's to assist in light cleaning the A/C cabin after landing. From my experiences, the dirtiest lavs by far were on AI.

arcticcruiser

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:51 pm

ncflyer wrote:

And this is why you should never go to the lav wearing only socks or even worse bare feet...ugh

NozPerry

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:57 pm

It’s normally not in most CCM’s contracts, normally just to “refresh” the toilets, I.e. replenishing the toilet rolls and hand towels when they run out
I love the feel of a Go Around in the morning

GE90man

Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:26 pm

US3 carrier? Basically tells its own story.

FlyHappy

Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:41 pm

ncflyer wrote:

I'm not one to bash US3, as is so in fashion. They are unreasonably lampooned in virtually every way.

Having said that, its clearly the case that US3 F/A's do not typically clean lavs, and obviously it is not a mandated job duty. I've actually wondered if Delta F/A's (being that they are non-union), can or would be simply commanded by management to enact this practice, and if possibly they already do specifically in the forward lavs (premium) of their larger aircraft.
I've only flown Delta long haul a few times since the NW-DL merger, and never premium, so I have no clear recollection that the lav situation was any different from the others.

Which is all to say that yes...... possibly the worst aspect of US3 long haul is the too-often brutal lav state.
I don't know how things are with the EU carriers these days, its been decades since I've flown them, but I'd previously seen some bad situations there, as well.
The East Asian legacy carriers keep a pretty tidy house, definitely part of FA duty; don't know about PRC carriers or AirAsiaX, not that anxious to find out.

I am curious about Norwegian long haul, what their deal is......

I do wish passengers (globally) would be more fastidious and respectful of their fellow passengers.................

OA412

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:48 am

arcticcruiser wrote:
And this is why you should never go to the lav wearing only socks or even worse bare feet...ugh

I was just about to say the same thing. About 11 years ago I recall using the lav about 2/3 of the way through my JFK-ATH flight on DL. It was absolutely disgusting, and not unlike the situation OP described. Overflowing waste bins, wet floor, wet toilet area. The worst part is the guy ahead of me walked out of there in his socks. Ugh!!!
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

infinit

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:57 am

I have friends who are SQ flight attendants. They tell me that they are required to clean the lavatories every 30 minutes or so on all flights.

I have seen the crew walking in with cleaning equipment on my flights with them.

PPVLC

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:22 am

I used to keep lavs clean, if the mess was extreme we would block them but those were exceptions. once you tidy it up regularly it doesn't go out of control, no big deal. we had to check them from time to time during long haul flights for safety reasons anyway and FA's use the same lavs as passengers, i wouldn't use a dirty/messy lavatory...
Cabin crew L188 707 727 737 767 A300 DC10 MD11 777 747

AA737-823

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:30 am

Add this data point to our useless pool of internet statistics, but I flew Delta ICN-SEA last month and the F/A's DID indeed clean the lavs in economy.

FlyHappy

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:31 am

AA737-823 wrote:
Add this data point to our useless pool of internet statistics, but I flew Delta ICN-SEA last month and the F/A's DID indeed clean the lavs in economy.

This is nice to hear, and really not useless data at all!

MontaukMonster

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:35 am

Flew Cathay Pacific EWR to HKG last year in coach and the lavs were spotless.

smi0006

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:42 am

[twoid][/twoid]
infinit wrote:
I have friends who are SQ flight attendants. They tell me that they are required to clean the lavatories every 30 minutes or so on all flights.

I have seen the crew walking in with cleaning equipment on my flights with them.

Back when I flew at QANTAS was the same, water run every 30-45mins, and cycle through and clean the bathroom. Wipe down basins, replenish stock, air freshener. Hard at peak times, most crew did it as part of their job, few would avoid it. But as mentioned above keep on top of it and it’s fine. Leaving it messy just gives pax permission to treat it that way!

jmscsc

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:50 am

I flew Korean from Seattle - Seoul - Auckland and the flight attendants were regularly cleaning the bathrooms. They were spotless for both very long flights.

PanzerPowner

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:30 am

Its that feeling when your on a trans pacific flight and it's freaking cold and the ratty blanket they throw you and the haphazard food gives you diarrhea and you have to find the cleanest restroom before you liquidate their stocks if you get the joke.
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

RTW00

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:45 am

Can Lav cleaning be automated? I have seen automatic toilet seat cleaners in Germany (mainly at rest stops). Can similar things be done in-flight and others such as automatic trash compactor? There are still few things FA need to do.

I have done some of the long NS flights to China and India from the US and some airliners are worst than the others. Automation could be an answer.

tys777

Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:06 am

RTW00 wrote:
Can Lav cleaning be automated? I have seen automatic toilet seat cleaners in Germany (mainly at rest stops). Can similar things be done in-flight and others such as automatic trash compactor? There are still few things FA need to do.

I have done some of the long NS flights to China and India from the US and some airliners are worst than the others. Automation could be an answer.

You can't automate someone having better aim when they "go"

USAirKid

Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:08 am

RTW00 wrote:

Someone would still have to pickup the paper and similar trash, and I can't imagine a self cleaning lav or trash compactor are light items..

Although maybe they should just eject the lav every so often, and get a new foldout one from the cargo hold..

alasizon

Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:30 am

tys777 wrote:

That is the biggest portion, even on shorter flights, some people aim for the corner of the shroud instead of the bowl and from that point, it goes everywhere.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

YIMBY

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:01 am

Are there rules that forbid personnel dealing with food to clean toilets?
At least it is used as excuse.
In any case a trained cleaner could be counted as staff for evacuation rules.

P.S. Well-positioned urinals would solve many aiming issues.

cskok8

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:47 am

We aim to please, you aim too please

theasianguy

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:28 am

I've flown NH and BR across the pacific. FA's clean the lavs after every 5-7 visits in economy. They were immaculate, although trash was overflowing after a 16 hr IAH-TPE on BR.

Also flew UA SFO-PVG and back last December. The lavs were disgusting halfway through the flight. Granted, that may also have to do with cultural differences between the mainland Chinese and Japanese/Asian expats that make up the bulk of passengers on NH/BR.

directorguy

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:49 am

If I'm not mistaken EK have onboard cleaners on their A380s, particularly to refresh the F shower spas?

aviationaware

Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:55 am

This happens on Eurocarriers as well all the time. Frankly, from a lavatory perspective, flying coach is only acceptable now on Asian carriers. On western airlines, even in Business Class the lavs can become quite antagonizing towards the end of the flight.

Noshow

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:09 am

The best caring airline I know of is Singapore Airlines. Their flight attendants seem to be routinely bringing up the lavs to full standard during long flights. Great service, most appreciated.

joeytaffy93

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:14 am

I've flown Japan Airlines from London to Tokyo and they were spotless, the same can't be said for Air China from London to Beijing then Tokyo..

Ryga

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:28 am

As crew myself, you most certainly won’t see me cleaning the toilet if it got in that state midflight. Various health and safety issues involved with all of that too.
AA AM BA BM BY DP DY EK MH PG RJ TK U2 VS Y2 ZB Z2 5J 9W

738 752 762ER/3ER 77W 788/9
A319/20/21 A332/3
E190
ATR 72-600
Jetstream 32
CRJ200ER

Noshow

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:56 am

So your passengers will end up with a battle zone after a while?

Embajador3

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:27 am

Ryga wrote:
As crew myself, you most certainly won’t see me cleaning the toilet if it got in that state midflight. Various health and safety issues involved with all of that too.

Exactly!! I had flown plenty of longhaul flight with western airlines such as KL, DL, US, AA, IB... and the toilets were in a decent state. However, I must say that as a FA myself, I can confirm there are cultural differences among passengers, some of which are throwing rubbish on the ground, peeing on the floor, etc and thus leaving the toilet in a very sorry condition. I am afraid, it very much always the same people.
Flying Together

vhtje

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:34 am

How difficult is it, as a passenger, to leave the lavatory in the state in which you would like to find it? That was how I was brought up, so I assiduously clean up after myself and wipe down the sink and any spills I might have inadvertently made. A moment's consideration for others is all it takes, but sadly few seem capable of this simple act for whatever reason.

I have witnessed FAs cleaning lavatories on BA, QF, AY, SQ, and CX.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

Noshow

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:46 am

The issue is not well behaving passengers but the others. Real world experience is: not everybody keeps and leaves the restroom in a nice and tidy condition. Now add turbulences, people feeling sick, small children, first times flyers, very long flights and very old or very tired people and you get the picture.

PhoenixVIP

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:25 am

PRC carrier flight attendants are trained and required to clean the lavatory. This is depending on the stage of the flight. For example on a long haul flight (ie. 10 hours) after the first meal / refreshment there will be a large amount of traffic and they may clean during and/ or after this period. It will then be cleaned twice during the middle of the flight. After the second meal when the foot traffic increases again there may be one more clean during this period but only to replenish stock.

Domestic short hops (ie. PEK - SHA) may not see any cleaning done at all due to duration.
Inspire the truth.

dtw2hyd

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:51 am

tys777 wrote:
RTW00 wrote:

I think automation will be the final solution, one cannot expect a uniform result when humans are involved.

If not self-cleaning toilets, at least wet/dry vacuum which makes it easy for the crew to clean easily and safely ie., without health hazard.

Air India is unique.
Indians think it is their airline, so they s**t everywhere and flush everything including blankets. Same passengers behave well on other carriers.
Its crew is quasi-government employees, someone else cleans their s**t on the ground, for them to clean toilets in a no-no. It cannot hire in-flight cleaning crew because it will add to the illegal immigration issue.
Knowing habits of its own passengers, it is difficult to understand why AI didn't opt for washlets on 787s.

Once Indigo takes over it will be fixed pronto.
All posts are just opinions.

zeke

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:22 am

A lot of rubbish in this thread, pun intended.

It is the airlines responsibility to provide a clean and safe environment for everyone on the aircraft, crew and passengers.

Urine is not full of germs, it is cleaner than most door handles anyone ever encounters. Most of the water in the floor is not urine, it is from the sink.

It is very easy for an airline to provide disposable gloves and aprons.

Dealing with sick passengers, puke, food trays, rubbish, galleys, and toilets is part of the cabin crews job. The less glamours parts, but it is their role.
"Airbus has the NEO. Boeing has the knee jerk" Judson Rollins in "10 Minutes About the A321XLR and Why Boeing Can’t Compete"

beerockxs

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:55 am

zeke wrote:
Dealing with sick passengers, puke, food trays, rubbish, galleys, and toilets is part of the cabin crews job. The less glamours parts, but it is their role.

The toilet part is obviously dependent on the contract the cabin crews have.

cougar15

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:02 pm

zeke wrote:
A lot of rubbish in this thread, pun intended.

It is the airlines responsibility to provide a clean and safe environment for everyone on the aircraft, crew and passengers.

Urine is not full of germs, it is cleaner than most door handles anyone ever encounters. Most of the water in the floor is not urine, it is from the sink.

It is very easy for an airline to provide disposable gloves and aprons.

Zeke, point taken and for Asian & ME carriers, this is certainly a must and commendable . But I as a European must add that (even in J), Euro & US carriers seem to have a different opinion on this! Try EU-Westcoast on a EU3/US3 Airline and you will be most disappointed. And no,....... I don´t think that's just water on the floor!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

Flightsimboy

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:10 pm

The toilets have been immaculate on MH. In fact you will see an FA with gloves and cleaning supplies go in and clean. SQ washrooms are clean too. TK as well clean their washrooms. The same can't be said of the ME3. I've seen some messy washrooms and the FAs don't really clean them. The most they do is close the washroom. On a KU flight years ago to JFK the washroom was put of service while on the ground. Needless to say there was a whiff from time to time seated right near it at the back.
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

sgbroimp

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:34 pm

infinit wrote:

I fly them a lot (JFK-FRA) and this is correct. One of them told me it was every 20 minutes and that they must sign off having done so. The 7+ hour ride I have done for 20+ years now and I have never seen a filthy toilet on SQ. One reason I fly them as illness on a business trip is not worth the risk. In this and other regards, SQ leaves most of the others in the dust and is why they are always rated so highly I am sure.

CobaltScar

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:39 pm

The biggest factor in how clean/dirty a bathroom is , is the route! Some routes are notorious for trashing the plane. I think its ok for a FA to tidy up a little bit, but asking them to scrub toilets and pee/poop soaked floors is too much.

sgbroimp

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:45 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
The biggest factor in how clean/dirty a bathroom is , is the route! Some routes are notorious for trashing the plane. I think its ok for a FA to tidy up a little bit, but asking them to scrub toilets and pee/poop soaked floors is too much.

That has to be true at 99% of the airlines, but I would not recommend you apply for an FA position at SQ my friend!

jetmatt777

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:49 pm

CobaltScar wrote:

Can F/A’s have it both ways though? Recently they have placed emphasis (in the USA) that flight attendants are primarily there for your safety first, and comfort second. Would an unsanitary bathroom be a safety issue?

CobaltScar

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:57 pm

sgbroimp wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:

That has to be true at 99% of the airlines, but I would not recommend you apply for an FA position at SQ my friend!

Luckily I live in a 1st world western culture country, so I don't plan on it haha.

cosyr

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:00 pm

I personally try to clean the lav a little when I use it. I wipe down the counter and sink, and I will drop a couple of damp paper towels on the floor and wipe them around with my shoe. I don't really care if some people think it is gross (it drives me crazy that I have coworkers who say dirty dishes make them gag, they just ate the food off the plate that made it dirty) I get to wash my hands at the end, so who really cares?

I don't know whether or not it is in US3 flight attendant's duties to clean the bathroom, but I can speak from experience that many do. I have witnessed them cleaning, and even had to wait for a lav while I waited for one to do a quick refresh. I also have watched US flight attendants clean up vomit and other messes, which is certainly not a job I would want. They do a lot more than I am asked to do in my job.

Airontario

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:15 pm

I think some people would be surprised how few cleaning products are loaded onto the typical airplane (at least in North America). It's one thing to ask crew to clean a lavatory armed with a full supply of cleaning products. Quite different to ask them to do it with nothing more than some paper towels and some disinfecting wipes.

FlyHappy

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:33 pm

This has me reflecting on my personal history of travel and I conclude that this is a demonstration of a dichotomy of cultures, hemispheres and attitudes.

Some cultures are much, much, much more squeamish (individually) than others about bio waste/lavs and ironically, this means these shared spaces suffer; which is ironic as other cultures less squeamish than have better maintained shared facilities. Though this is really demonstrated on aircraft, I think this is also partially observed in the Airports, as well.

It is a challenge to deal with employee contracts, and I know that FA's have a hard job, are underpaid and such; I appreciate the FA responses in this thread.
One thing I really, really hate is the blocking of a lav because of a mess - this is the worse possible outcome, reducing the facilities available and accelerating the deterioration of the remaining lavs.

Though I know this will not happen, the one thing the western airlines have some control of are the size of the lavs - they've gotten too small, where the hygiene is negatively impacted. There simply needs to be be more maneuvering space - it would really help. I know - it isn't going to happen, but a guy can vent.

I do wish most western carriers would up their game in this area.

IFlyMGN

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:34 pm

I still find it amazing at just how inconsiderate some passengers can be. I've entered lavatories where it almost looks as if the previous user(s) have intentionally attempted to leave it in the most disgusting condition possible. Couple that with the area in and around certain passenger (walking around barefooted, trash and debris stuffed into the seat back pockets or just thrown on the floor, food crumbs and particles on the seats and floor, feet propped up on the bulkhead), it's like these people had absolutely no home training whatsoever. I've seen farm animals with better manners and behavior. While not necessarily attempting to sound elitist, there are some people who shouldn't be allowed at an airport much less on the plane itself.

NZ321

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:00 pm

I just flew MH business class return KUL-AKL. Lavs were immaculate on both flights throughout the flight, including 25 minutes before touch down.

Other flights I have taken recently on SQ, TG, MH, NH, NZ, LH have all had clean bathrooms when I have needed to use them, in economy or business.

I try to avoid using the toilet on US3 operated planes and some Low Cost airlines for reasons cited above.

Actually, in my understanding flight attendants are primarily there for passenger safety. Anything they do over and above that is up to the airline. But I would have thought that clean toilets is part of passenger safety. So I am miffed as to the multiple experiences of dirty and unusable toilets on these airlines.
Plane mad!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos