xwb777
Topic Author

Recent: Emirates eyes on Mexico

Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:46 pm

On the sidelines of a press conference held today at the Arabian Travel Market in Dubai, Thierry Antinori EVP & CCO at Emirates, has expressed that Emirates is currently setting its eyes on Mexico. According to Mr. Thierry, the airline is currently studying the different options to add flights to Mexico City.

Quote:
" Mexico is an interesting market. We are flying there with the freighters. It’s the only country in the world with a population of a 100 million where Emirates is not flying, so it’s a market we should go [to], and we will go one day,”"

His comments come just a few months after Emirates announced it plans to launch Santiago in Chile via Sao Paulo.

Source: http://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/e ... -1.2207949

Does this mean that an announcement will be made after Emirates has received the permission from the authorities?

EddieDude

Re: Recent: Emirates eyes on Mexico

Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:56 pm

What happened with the fifth freedom via BCN?
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

dcajet

Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:03 pm

I'd say AM stole their thunder, albeit temporarily!
Keep calm and wash your hands.

xwb777
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Emirates is having another thought about Panama City.

dodgers702

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:34 pm

i think EK has been eyeing MEX for years. Kinda like TK has stated MEX as one of their future destinations for years...lol. For all we know may r nothing will happen until either EK receives their 777x or until the new MEX airport is in operation. Lots of recent talk but nothing confirmed other than Spain granting EK fifth freedom rights.

Bluebird191

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:59 pm

Did EK forget their cargo/freight division, Skycargo?

MoKa777

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:04 pm

EddieDude wrote:

I believe that even if Spain/Barcelona has given their blessing, Mexico has to pass their own judgement on the route and that is the sticking point.

What makes things worse is that a nonstop flight will be even longer than DXB-AKL so EK really needs Mexico to allow them 5th freedom traffic rights to make it work. I believe the A380 is payload restricted on the AKL route so will be restricted here too. That is ignoring the fact that MEX-DXB will have elevation also working against it.

I'm not sure about a possible CUN stop and what is stopping EK from doing that. It is about as long as DXB-LAX. Maybe they will not be allowed to pick up more pax there and/or transport pax between MEX and CUN.
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

Pepper456

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:38 pm

And I'm here waiting the announcement of DXB-OPO and DXB-LIS with A380 kkkkkkkkkk

Mex87

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:46 pm

Could a DXB-Scandinavia/Moscow-MEX or DXB-LIS-MEX work?

Tailwinds13

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:48 pm

MEX is one of the last possible stations I can think of as being a hole in EK’s network. Obviously the elevation is a struggle, but they seem committed to try to make it work. Good for them!

dredgy

Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:00 pm

Bluebird191 wrote:
Did EK forget their cargo/freight division, Skycargo?

No, it was mentioned in the original post.

Arion640

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:12 pm

Tailwinds13 wrote:
MEX is one of the last possible stations I can think of as being a hole in EK’s network. Obviously the elevation is a struggle, but they seem committed to try to make it work. Good for them!

Canada is still a pretty big gap in the network. But that's not by choice....
1973-2020

Balloonchaser

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Mexico and then the Caribbean they come! ;)

EddieDude

Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:08 pm

MoKa777 wrote:
Mexico has to pass their own judgement on the route and that is the sticking point.

What makes things worse is that a nonstop flight will be even longer than DXB-AKL so EK really needs Mexico to allow them 5th freedom traffic rights to make it work.

That should not be an issue at all. Doesn't the Mexico-UAE bilateral provide for fifth freedom rights via European stopover airports? No need to apply for them if the treaty already grants them.
Upcoming flights:

MoKa777

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:31 pm

EddieDude wrote:
MoKa777 wrote:
Mexico has to pass their own judgement on the route and that is the sticking point.

What makes things worse is that a nonstop flight will be even longer than DXB-AKL so EK really needs Mexico to allow them 5th freedom traffic rights to make it work.

That should not be an issue at all. Doesn't the Mexico-UAE bilateral provide for fifth freedom rights via European stopover airports? No need to apply for them if the treaty already grants them.

Ok, no, wait. You may be correct. Haha I may be misremembering things.

EK needs to get on it pronto.

dodgers702

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:25 pm

EddieDude wrote:
MoKa777 wrote:

Thats what I thought so not sure why many people were saying that Mexico would not allow it. I think AM resumed service because of what EK had planned. Now that AM beat them to the punch so now maybe EK is revaulating its options now.

dodgers702

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:44 pm

Interesting article came out today from Cancun newspaper. Obviously we have heard many rumors of EK flying into MEX but that's just it at the moment. Here is another one to add :

https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/unite ... /2018.html

FA9295

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:16 pm

MoKa777 wrote:
EddieDude wrote:

I believe that even if Spain/Barcelona has given their blessing, Mexico has to pass their own judgement on the route and that is the sticking point.

What makes things worse is that a nonstop flight will be even longer than DXB-AKL so EK really needs Mexico to allow them 5th freedom traffic rights to make it work. I believe the A380 is payload restricted on the AKL route so will be restricted here too. That is ignoring the fact that MEX-DXB will have elevation also working against it.

I'm not sure about a possible CUN stop and what is stopping EK from doing that. It is about as long as DXB-LAX. Maybe they will not be allowed to pick up more pax there and/or transport pax between MEX and CUN.

Mexico allows China Southern's fifth freedom rights for CAN-YVR-MEX routing. Is there any implication that they're not going to allow Emirates to have fifth freedom rights for the BCN-MEX sector (via DXB)?

FA9295

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:17 pm

dodgers702 wrote:
Interesting article came out today from Cancun newspaper. Obviously we have heard many rumors of EK flying into MEX but that's just it at the moment. Here is another one to add :

https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/unite ... /2018.html

Interesting. I guess it's all up in the air right now for whether they'll choose CUN or MEX. Maybe even both as two separate routes.

MoKa777

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:12 pm

FA9295 wrote:
MoKa777 wrote:
EddieDude wrote:

Mexico allows China Southern's fifth freedom rights for CAN-YVR-MEX routing. Is there any implication that they're not going to allow Emirates to have fifth freedom rights for the BCN-MEX sector (via DXB)?

I believe I misremembered the situation with EK and Mexico. Please ignore my post. Sorry.

EddieDude

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:41 pm

FA9295 wrote:
Mexico allows China Southern's fifth freedom rights for CAN-YVR-MEX routing.

CZ does not have fifth freedom rights between YVR and MEX. CZ added the YVR-MEX-YVR tag to some of its flights CAN-YVR-CAN flights (three in total) but it lacks the ability to transport pax solely between MEX and YVR. All MEX pax have to go all the way to CAN.

FA9295 wrote:
Is there any implication that they're not going to allow Emirates to have fifth freedom rights for the BCN-MEX sector (via DXB)?

It is not about Mexico allowing EK or not to have fifth freedom rights. The Mexico-UAE bilateral already treaty provides for a list of European airports that can serve as intermediate stopovers and where fifth freedom rights have been granted.
Upcoming flights:

abrelosojos

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:37 am

EddieDude wrote:
Is there any implication that they're not going to allow Emirates to have fifth freedom rights for the BCN-MEX sector (via DXB)?

It is not about Mexico allowing EK or not to have fifth freedom rights. The Mexico-UAE bilateral already treaty provides for a list of European airports that can serve as intermediate stopovers and where fifth freedom rights have been granted.[/quote]

= Does anyone have a copy of the MEX - UAE bilateral? It would be good to see. And, I was impressed by AM and how it stole the thunder. As I said, they have a global and aggressive team in place, so not surprised.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos