Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

enilria
Topic Author

Aeroflot May End Flights to the U.S. in Escalating Dispute

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:27 pm

Despite the denials to the contrary, the continued expelling of diplomats by both sides is at the root of this. This escalation needs to stop.

The Russian Foreign Ministry says increasing delays by the United States in issuing visas could result in flagship airline Aeroflot ending flights to the U.S.
State-owned Aeroflot is the only airline with scheduled year-round U.S. flights.

A ministry statement Thursday complained that the waiting time for interviews for U.S. visa applicants has stretched to 250 days. "In other words, it's senseless to apply for a visa," it said.

Aeroflot "may be forced to stop (flights) because the crews are experiencing growing difficulty in obtaining American visas," the statement said.

https://www.wftv.com/news/russia-says-u ... /734747524

dcajet

Re: Aeroflot May End Flights to the U.S. in Escalating Dispute

Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:22 pm

Madness...
Keep calm and wash your hands.

LAXintl

Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:00 am

Its not just Aeroflot.

One of my client airlines noted that since last fall there has been a significant slow down in issuance of crew visas.

While issue might not be critical in the short run, longer term it can cause scheduling mess as growing number of crew members require renewals and new crew members require their initial visa’s particularly for cockpit crews as they move between fleet types.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

MARSHAL1

Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:09 am

Hmmm well Russia ordered the American consulate in St. Petersburg to be closed. Closing this consulate means longer waiting times for visas. So why is Russia crying?

BENAir01

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:10 am

Let’s not get off topic. This is an aviation, not politics, forum.
Where does SU currently fly? JFK, LAX, IAD? ORD? MIA?
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

Varsity1

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:11 am

Couldn't care less. Hopefully they end flights to the U.K. too.

alfa164

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:12 am

There will still be plenty of connections for travelers wanting to go to Moscow, or any other Russian city.

After the World Cup is over, US-Russian tourism will return to the slump that has plagued it for the past few years;other than VFR traffic, not many people on the US-end would miss having an SU nonstop to SVO. Russians traveling to Florida will probably feel it more.
Last edited by alfa164 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

MAH4546

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:16 am

BENAir01 wrote:
Let’s not get off topic. This is an aviation, not politics, forum.
Where does SU currently fly? JFK, LAX, IAD? ORD? MIA?

Triple daily to New York, up to daily to Los Angeles, up to 5w to Miami and once(!) a week to Dulles.
a.

ScottB

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:48 am

enilria wrote:
Despite the denials to the contrary, the continued expelling of diplomats by both sides is at the root of this. This escalation needs to stop.

Aeroflot "may be forced to stop (flights) because the crews are experiencing growing difficulty in obtaining American visas," the statement said.

I don't really see how SU ending its flights to the U.S. would induce the State Department to process visas more quickly, though. The expulsion of 60 U.S. diplomats from Russia likely didn't help matters. But it's really an empty threat since access to Russia would remain available through literally dozens of third countries. Slowing down visas for U.S. nationals would likely do little more than damage an already moribund tourist market.

winginit

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:56 am

As Aeroflot is the only carrier who flies routine scheduled nonstop commercial service between the US and Russia... who would this really impact besides just them, and that being the case... who cares?

Super80Fan

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:35 am

My "Aeroflot Soviet Airlines" shirt makes for good conversation here in the US, wonder if I wore it to Russia...
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

spongenotbob

Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:08 am

Interesting story but given the lousy yields they get on these flights, (check SVO-LAX one week out, for example) I'm sure it makes a handy excuse too.

I've flown SU a number of times. Very nice service in the air; absolutely miserable, inflexible, and marginally ethical on the ground.

Qfsaviation

Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:29 am

Yeah, I don't think Aeroflot would benefit from pulling out operations to the US. From what I know the flights are pretty full. But there is a problem with the visas taking forever. I had planned on traveling there in 2 weeks for the Victory parade but the Visas are coming in late now.
Photographer, Trip Reporter and Aviation YouTuber

timpdx

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:55 am

Meh, I just don't want trouble transiting SVO in a few weeks with a US passport.
Flown 2018: LAX, ARN, DXB, ALA, TAS, UCG, ASB, MYP, GYD, TBS, KUT, BER, TLS, SVO, CCF, DUB, LGW, MEX, BUR, PDX, ORD, SLC, SNA
Upcoming 2018: STL, MIA, BZE, IAH, BHM, LHR, DFW, PHX

atcsundevil

Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:09 am

Please keep the thread on topic. Political discussions unrelated to aviation belong in the Non Aviation Forum.

✈️ atcsundevil

NeBaNi

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:20 am

Will be sad not to see the striking 77W/ A330s at LAX if this is true. One of my favorite liveries to spot at LAX!

directorguy

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:46 am

In the event of reduced or cut SU service, who is most likely to benefit? KLM? TK? EK?

Pellegrine

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:50 am

ScottB wrote:
I don't really see how SU ending its flights to the U.S. would induce the State Department to process visas more quickly, though. The expulsion of 60 U.S. diplomats from Russia likely didn't help matters. But it's really an empty threat since access to Russia would remain available through literally dozens of third countries. Slowing down visas for U.S. nationals would likely do little more than damage an already moribund tourist market.

Reciprocity.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

cougar15

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:53 am

directorguy wrote:
In the event of reduced or cut SU service, who is most likely to benefit? KLM? TK? EK?

LH will surely be happy to pick up some of the slack, especially with Austrian as part of the group! On that note, I am surprised this thread is still in civ av. Propaganda is a 2 way street and a bit of open mindedness or objectivity from one or 2 poster above may have lead to a rational civil aviation discussion on an interesting subject!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

cedarjet

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:53 am

To be clear — they’re not talking about doing it as a punishment, they’re saying they may have no choice if their crews can’t get visas
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Pellegrine

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:57 am

cedarjet wrote:
To be clear — they’re not talking about doing it as a punishment, they’re saying they may have no choice if their crews can’t get visas

And, as a consequence, don't you think they might make it hard for American crews to get visas?
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

thevery

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:59 am

directorguy wrote:

Both AF/DL/KL JV and Star A++ JV for Europe flights and probably TK for TLV ans TSB flights.

panamair

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:12 am

Pellegrine wrote:
cedarjet wrote:

And, as a consequence, don't you think they might make it hard for American crews to get visas?

But as already mentioned above, no US carrier flies to Russia today so it's a non-issue for American crews....

thevery

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:19 am

spongenotbob wrote:
Interesting story but given the lousy yields they get on these flights, (check SVO-LAX one week out, for example) I'm sure it makes a handy excuse too.

There is no need for excuse to reduce flights, they can easily downgauge them first in the summer schedule from 77w to A333/A332. Fares in Y might be low for the direct flight, but on the other hand, both A++ and AF/KL/DL JV offers crazy Europe-US fares as low as 300 Euro for RT. SU J fares are not trash and they have lower base cost compared to EU legacies.

Pellegrine

Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:20 am

panamair wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
cedarjet wrote:

But as already mentioned above, no US carrier flies to Russia today so it's a non-issue for American crews....

My bad. I thought DL still had that flight. They could make it harder for pax in turn.

dmstorm22

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:27 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
panamair wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

My bad. I thought DL still had that flight. They could make it harder for pax in turn.

They dopped JFK-SVO. Aeroflot upped it to 3x daily.

BestWestern

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:33 pm

The delays in getting Russian visas have also affected corporate traffic. Three colleagues heading to Russia in 10 days have cancelled their trips - just too much hassle.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

yowza

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Before SU ditched YYZ most flights I saw boarding for Moscow seemed to have only a small percentage of Russian speakers. I doubt it's that skewed to transit traffic in the states but it would be interesting if anyone can muster the passenger figures for SU routes ex USA - specifically Russia-bound pax figures?

YOWza

hohd

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:51 pm

Considering what happened to some transit passengers flying from DEL to JFK recently - who cares. Aeroflot needs to improve its customer service especially during IRROPS.

evank516

Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:55 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:
panamair wrote:

Don't they do it seasonally though?

dmstorm22

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:31 pm

evank516 wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

It used to be seasonal. I believe DL now ended it completely.

dcajet

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:45 pm

evank516 wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
Pellegrine wrote:

Gone from the system. DL will route you via CDG or AMS on AF/KL.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

stlgph

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:48 pm

directorguy wrote:

Depends on how you look at it. There's the obvious need for premium traffic and all that jazz but in the past few years Aeroflot has been very competitive with Turkish Airlines on filing their economy sections with people looking for (often bargain) rates to eastern and yes, even western Europe. Pretty much think of it as Turkish north - fly to Moscow, turn around and head back to your destination.

LOT Polish may see a benefit on both fronts. Finnair may see a benefit with filling their coach section on discounted airfares connecting through Helsinki.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

jumbojet

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
My "Aeroflot Soviet Airlines" shirt makes for good conversation here in the US, wonder if I wore it to Russia...

you can buy them on amazon for 10 US dollars. Just bought me one. Thanks for the heads up

https://www.amazon.com/AEROFLOT-russian ... flot+shirt

workhorse

Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:06 pm

Super80Fan wrote:

No one would care. It would be like wearing a Pan Am shirt in the US.

directorguy

Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:42 am

What about EK specifically? A detour, but EK has planes to fill (12x weekly to Florida which I understand is popular with Russians). Plus Dubai is popular with Russians where they own property, have social and business ties, get visa free access making it a common stopover city.

HHScot

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:19 am

I think the issue here is not only about crews having difficulty getting visas, but also passengers. I can imagine quite a drop in passenger numbers for non-political reasons.

brian415

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:26 am

SU may want to negotiate a codeshare agreement with WestJet, at which time, they could resume flights to Canada (Toronto and Montreal) and add Vancouver. This way, they can collect premium passenger revenue for the majority of the flight. Passengers would continue their journey on WS to the US destination.

SU already has a codeshare with Icelandair (FI), but FI does not have enough capacity to handle the displaced SU passengers.

LOWS

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:32 am

Austrian will do well. Who else to fill a cheap flight to MIA?
Last edited by LOWS on Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

brian415

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:40 am

HHScot wrote:
I think the issue here is not only about crews having difficulty getting visas, but also passengers. I can imagine quite a drop in passenger numbers for non-political reasons.

Can't the US State Department simply target occupation ("pilot" and "flight crew") and slow down the application process for them? Isn't that what is happening?

workhorse

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:41 am

Varsity1 wrote:
Couldn't care less. Hopefully they end flights to the U.K. too.

I guess what would make you the most happy is if they stopped flying abroad completely. Am I right?

MalevTU134

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:54 am

brian415 wrote:
SU may want to negotiate a codeshare agreement with WestJet, at which time, they could resume flights to Canada (Toronto and Montreal) and add Vancouver. This way, they can collect premium passenger revenue for the majority of the flight. Passengers would continue their journey on WS to the US destination.

SU already has a codeshare with Icelandair (FI), but FI does not have enough capacity to handle the displaced SU passengers.

Excellent idea! With this "solution", Russians would not only need US visas, but Canadian visas as well.. . :banghead:

tu204

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:44 pm

brian415 wrote:
HHScot wrote:

Can't the US State Department simply target occupation ("pilot" and "flight crew") and slow down the application process for them? Isn't that what is happening?

I don't think there is any specific targeting on who to delay visas for.

Issue here is that in the last year the US declared over 200 Russian diplomats non grata. Russia did the same and expelled an equal ammount of US diplomats.

Pretty obvious that a big share of those officials on both sides were the guys and gals processing the visa application.

So I am not surpirsed that now it takes ages for Americans to get Russian visas and vice versa...
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

Faro

Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:46 pm

winginit wrote:
As Aeroflot is the only carrier who flies routine scheduled nonstop commercial service between the US and Russia... who would this really impact besides just them, and that being the case... who cares?

:checkmark:

Yes..in a nutshell...

Faro
The chalice not my son

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos