Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jumbojet
Topic Author

Ed Bastian named among ‘World’s Greatest Leaders’ by Fortune

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:27 pm

The list of honoree's is very distinguished. Congrats to Ed Bastian and Delta Air Lines. Ed is the first leader of ANY commercial airline to make the cut.

Bastian’s addition to the annual list of the “thinkers, speakers and doers who are stepping up to meet today’s challenges” is a first for the leader of any commercial airline. Previous honorees, dating back to 2014, include such luminaries as Pope Francis, Elon Musk and Warren Buffett.

https://news.delta.com/ed-bastian-named ... -157198705

Here is the Fortune complete list

http://fortune.com/longform/worlds-grea ... ders-2018/

and this link will take you directly to Bastian's post on Fortune or you can read it below, its been bolded for you.

Several companies changed their policies in reaction to the shootings at a high school in Parkland, Fla., in February; only Delta Air Lines saw almost immediate economic retaliation. Days after Delta rescinded a discount it had offered to National Rifle Association members, Georgia legislators scrapped a jet-fuel tax exemption that could have provided Delta, which is headquartered in Atlanta, with a $40 million annual tax break. Lawmakers accused the airline of attacking conservatives and even the Second Amendment itself.
In a letter to employees explaining the decision, CEO Ed Bastian argued that the airline wasn’t taking sides in the gun-control debate. It ended the discount, he made clear, to eliminate any implied endorsement of the NRA, a group whose public statements in the wake of the shootings had gone far outside the bounds of civil debate. “Our decision was not made for economic gain, and our values are not for sale,” Bastian wrote. “We are in the process of a review to end group discounts for any group of a politically divisive nature.” It wasn’t the kind of ringing statement that rallies a generation of activists—but it was a template for well-­reasoned business leadership in a fragmented world.

http://fortune.com/longform/worlds-grea ... s-2018/#ed
Last edited by jumbojet on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flyguy84

Re: Ed Bastian named among ‘World’s Greatest Leaders’ by Fortune

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:34 pm

Means nothing. Just more propaganda.
SFO

jumbojet
Topic Author

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:40 pm

flyguy84 wrote:

let me fix your post. It means nothing TO YOU

ual763

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:48 pm

I like Ed. But I liked Richard a whole lot more. But then again, I also loved Crandall.
From flying to the NOTAM office

N212R

Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:21 pm

A meaningless list of "insider" encomiums such as magazines love to invent. It's all of a back-slapping, public relations piece. Akin to Variety magazine naming one of the movie studio heads World's Greatest -------- .

winginit

Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:27 pm

BroadwayLimited wrote:
I imagine Richard Anderson was brought in for a purpose...and that was to orchestrate the DL/NW merger, and get it up and running. With that behind him, (and I have no way of knowing), I imagine, Richard felt he did all he could do to get the merger up and running, and then things got turned over to Ed. Both very good people for their times.

I've heard from more than one separate source that Anderson turned the wheel over to Ed to prepare for being selected as what would have been Clinton's Secretary of the DOT. That uhhh... well that didn't pan out now did it...

BroadwayLimited

Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:27 pm

I imagine Richard Anderson was brought in for a purpose...and that was to orchestrate the DL/NW merger, and get it up and running. With that behind him, (and I have no way of knowing), I imagine, Richard felt he did all he could do to get the merger up and running, and then things got turned over to Ed. Both very good people for their times.
Signed up for Delta and Eastern Frequent Flyer Programs August 30, 1981.

Swadian

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:23 pm

flyguy84 wrote:

Agreed. It is a politically-biased article at many twists and turns. Even if Ed was worth the spot, they could have done better than to point out the NRA. They could have mentioned Delta itself rather than the NRA.

klm617

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:28 pm

flyguy84 wrote:

Amen to that.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

global1

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:52 pm

Of course it's going to mean nothing to those who cringe every time Delta is mentioned positively.
And those mentions just keep coming.
Kudos to Mr. Bastion for his recognition and leadership.

kjeld0d

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:53 pm

The Last Bastian?

TedToToe

Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:15 pm

I can't help but think that the 'World's Greatest Leaders' should have some international recognition, or is this similar to the winner of the super bowl being crowned 'World Champions'?

Super80Fan

Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:19 am

Well Kirby and you know who Parker weren't going to win it now were they?

Ed is definitely one of the better corporate aviation bosses right now, although I'd argue Gary Kelly should've gotten this as well.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

klm617

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:03 pm

I am sure as a Delta employee you are very proud of your fearless leader but as a customer he has done nothing for us other than giving us less and charging us more and if that makes a great business leader than so be it but to me there is a lot more to being a world class business leader than what Mr. Bastian brings to the table.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Beatyair

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:46 am

This is what happens when you have been taught be the best. Having a great CEO that hands you the job, you had better been watching and listen. Generally this is the same team as that Richard had. Ed has done well.

IPFreely

Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:17 am

flyguy84 wrote:

It does mean something. To be specific, it means Delta has spent a lot of money on advertising:

https://www.fortunemediakit.com/wp-cont ... -Rates.pdf

michman

Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:53 am

If you look at the recipient list, it's pretty clear it's heavily politicized (just look at who came in number 1). Ed ended up 50 out of 50 and was most likely included solely due to his NRA stance. A bit ironic that Blackrock CEO came in at number 8 (given that number 1 is calling for a Blackrock boycott).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos