LAXintl
Topic Author

Rumor: 2nd Asian airline to ONT

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:38 pm

I am posting this as a rumor, but I understand the deal is nearly done and could be announced very soon.

ONT has been marketing itself with a multi-year incentive package including fee waiver/offset and marketing funds to airlines in China and Korea recently to follow up with success in landing link to Taiwan.

Looks like one of the mainland Chinese carriers (believed to be MU) has in principle accepted the offer and will seek to launch a service to ONT.

I also know from other sources that both Air China and one of the Korean carriers declined based on their own marketing analysis and desire to maintain connectivity with their alliance partner at LAX.

Lets see how this plays out long term....
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

continental004

Re: Rumor: 2nd Asian airline to ONT

Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:09 pm

I bet it’s HU to PEK, although MU to PVG would be very much welcome.

MAH4546

Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:10 pm

To replace China Airlines? I heard it's doing horribly and they are out in October.
a.

many321

Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:19 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
To replace China Airlines? I heard it's doing horribly and they are out in October.

Were are you hearing this from?

LAX772LR

Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:20 pm

I remember when KE was considered the daring risk-taker among major Asian airlines, when it came to launching new N.Am routes.

Crazy how much the Chinese (and even ultra-conservative JL) have gotten the edge on them in some new markets.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

BoeingGuy

Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:47 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
I remember when KE was considered the daring risk-taker among major Asian airlines, when it came to launching new N.Am routes.

Crazy how much the Chinese (and even ultra-conservative JL) have gotten the edge on them in some new markets.

Not sure what daring routes JL have added. SAN, BOS and SEA (rumored) seem like conservative choices. It wouldn’t shock me if NH or JL started PDX either.

HU and CA starting SJC was a little more daring. However, having lived in San Jose for many younger years, I know what a huge population and business base that is. I know people who go to SFO just because they don’t realize that SJC does have the international routes it does.

LAX772LR

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:05 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Not sure what daring routes JL have added. SAN, BOS and SEA (rumored) seem like conservative choices.

SAN was no conservative choice.

It couldn't even sustain (notice I didn't say "have") a Euro nonstop until 2011ish or so.

Combined with no significant alliance feed, no prior history of sustaining service to Asia, a smaller base population than most of the N.Am markets JL had maintained before, and a juggernaut intercon gateway that's only a 2hr drive north..... it was quite the risk for so historically conservative of an airline.

I mean, we're talking about a carrier that previously couldn't even make the two largest hubs (ATL and DFW) in the country work, despite being partners with the respective airlines at the time first attempted.

cynlb

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:39 pm

Interesting.
http://labusinessjournal.com/news/2018/ ... o-airport/

"...a number of announcements are expected in the coming weeks and months regarding additional air service destinations."

BoeingGuy

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:41 pm

ONT has gained and lost service over the years too. Off hand, I can think of ATL (EA, DL), JFK (B6, briefly AA), HNL (UA, HA), YYZ (AC), MX (AS).

I don't recall that ONT ever had YVR service.

Personally, I want to fly out of the local airport not drive in traffic to a farther off airport. If I live in ONT, I want to fly out of ONT. A.net posters often talk about how people drive to a farther bigger airport. I would think patrons would prefer to fly from their local airport.

sincx

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:44 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Looks like one of the mainland Chinese carriers (believed to be MU) has in principle accepted the offer and will seek to launch a service to ONT.

Where will China Eastern get the slots from? The bilateral slot allocation is fully maxed out on both sides, so MU will have to cut some other frequency to start a new route.

FX1816

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:54 pm

MAH4546 wrote:

Uh yeah, I'm going to call BS on this one.

MIflyer12

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:16 pm

LAXintl wrote:

When the incentive monies run out and flights need to be supported by average fare levels (RASM), do the flights stay at ONT, head back to LAX, or die? That's the market test.

many321

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:33 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

When the incentive monies run out and flights need to be supported by average fare levels (RASM), do the flights stay at ONT, head back to LAX, or die? That's the market test.

Living near ONT, I do hope the people who are being courted for these flights take the bait and fly from there, helping the airport suceded. In the long term, if successful, will help alleviate some pressure from LAX.

NickolayAv

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:34 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Not sure what daring routes JL have added. SAN, BOS and SEA (rumored) seem like conservative choices.

IMO BOS was a VERY daring route for JL. BOS didn't have any routes to Asia when they launched the route. The last time BOS had an Asian route was KE with a one-stop flight to ICN, it failed miserably and was gone very soon after it started. This was even more of a risk when the 787 had problems and they had to sub the plane with a 777 for the time on a relatively new route in a new market with a less fuel efficient and more passengers. Top all of that off with the fact that they did this coming out of bankruptcy. I do not see how that is not a daring move by JL.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson

WN732

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:22 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
ONT has gained and lost service over the years too. Off hand, I can think of ATL (EA, DL), JFK (B6, briefly AA), HNL (UA, HA), YYZ (AC), MX (AS).

I don't recall that ONT ever had YVR service.

Personally, I want to fly out of the local airport not drive in traffic to a farther off airport. If I live in ONT, I want to fly out of ONT. A.net posters often talk about how people drive to a farther bigger airport. I would think patrons would prefer to fly from their local airport.

If you think ONT is bad, you should try Fresno. Sadly a large majority of Fresnan's use the Bay Area.

c933103

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:24 pm

If it is to lure subsidies then Hainan could be interested in it?
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

c933103

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:28 pm

continental004 wrote:
I bet it’s HU to PEK, although MU to PVG would be very much welcome.

If it's to be a Chinese carrier then they probably need to cut other services in order to launch the route due to bilateral
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

bzcat

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Does MU have any spare PVG allocations to start this service?

thekorean

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:40 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

It wouldn’t really be new though. Same market as LAX, different airport.

hawaiian717

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:46 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:

Prefer, sure. But when LAX offers the one-two punch of lots of nonstop options and lots of low fares due to lots of competition, many people will make the trek out to LAX compared to a connecting or more expensive flight out of a closer airport.

tys777

Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:39 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:

Certainly prefer, but money talks. I now love in DLH and routinely drive to MSP. Even though there is a 2+ hour drive, the cost is usually worth it for a family of four.

Encountered the same thing when I lived in TYS, routinely flew out of BNA to save hundreds as a college student.

sincx

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:03 pm

bzcat wrote:

I think the bilateral is fully maxed out, except there might be 2 spare slots on the US side (none on the China side).

Here's MU's currently weekly flights to the US:
PVG-HNL 6x
PVG-ORD 5x
PVG-LAX 14x
PVG-JFK 14x
PVG-SFO 7x
NKG-LAX 3x
TAO-SFO 3x

If they wanted to try ONT, I supposed they can cut LAX to 11x weekly and fly ONT 3x weekly like their NKG and TAO routes.

winginit

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:46 pm

sincx wrote:
bzcat wrote:

I think the bilateral is fully maxed out, except there might be 2 spare slots on the US side (none on the China side).

PVG-HNL 6x
PVG-ORD 5x
PVG-LAX 14x
PVG-JFK 14x
PVG-SFO 7x
NKG-LAX 3x
TAO-SFO 3x

If they wanted to try ONT, I supposed they can cut LAX to 11x weekly and fly ONT 3x weekly like their NKG and TAO routes.

That TAOSFO service has been going since what late 2016 now? I'll bet those TAO subsidies are ripe for expiration and there's no way it makes financial sense to keep flying that without the subsidies. I imagine we could see those reallocated to ONTPVG if this rumor pans out. NKGLAX could be in the same boat as well.

LAX772LR

Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:52 pm

thekorean wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Except that it would.

It pulls from the same metro, but (taking the L.A. Basin into account) we're talking an expanse that's essentially 200mi and 18million people.

And of that area: service to ONT would be aimed almost entirely at the businesses/population of San Gabriel + San Bernardino + Riverside. Maybe DTLA, Pasadena, and the desert cities, as a stretch. But that's it.

Nobody from the likes of Beverly Hills, Calabasas, Ventura county, Malibu, MidCity, Hollywood, the Miracle Mile, The (San Fernando) Valley, O.C., Long Beach, etc would have any sustainable reason to use that.

BGS91762

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:35 am

LAX772LR wrote:
thekorean wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Except that it would.

It pulls from the same metro, but (taking the L.A. Basin into account) we're talking an expanse that's essentially 200mi and 18million people.

And of that area: service to ONT would be aimed almost entirely at the businesses/population of San Gabriel + San Bernardino + Riverside. Maybe DTLA, Pasadena, and the desert cities, as a stretch. But that's it.

Nobody from the likes of Beverly Hills, Calabasas, Ventura county, Malibu, MidCity, Hollywood, the Miracle Mile, The (San Fernando) Valley, O.C., Long Beach, etc would have any sustainable reason to use that.

North OC is a part of the area that would find ONT much more convenient than LAX. People from the other areas would come if the price and schedule beat LAX. Just like thousands of IE residents use LAX all the time.

eamondzhang

Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:42 am

sincx wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Where will China Eastern get the slots from? The bilateral slot allocation is fully maxed out on both sides, so MU will have to cut some other frequency to start a new route.

They can always go via a secondary port (i.e. not PEK/PVG/CAN).

Michael

eamondzhang

Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:45 am

winginit wrote:
sincx wrote:
bzcat wrote:

PVG-HNL 6x
PVG-ORD 5x
PVG-LAX 14x
PVG-JFK 14x
PVG-SFO 7x
NKG-LAX 3x
TAO-SFO 3x

That TAOSFO service has been going since what late 2016 now? I'll bet those TAO subsidies are ripe for expiration and there's no way it makes financial sense to keep flying that without the subsidies. I imagine we could see those reallocated to ONTPVG if this rumor pans out. NKGLAX could be in the same boat as well.

It won't expire anytime soon (3 year at least and they can always negotiate). Plus TAO's subsidies amount given are huge and I bet they don't want this to lose to another carrier.

I would rather bet that they wanted MU2855/6 (NKG-LAX) moved over if they ever decided to serve ONT.

Michael

LAX772LR

Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:34 am

BGS91762 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

People from the other areas would come if the price and schedule beat LAX.

....and **that** is exactly why the word "sustainable" appears in my statement: because airlines generally don't duplicate service to a core market, just to undercut what's already being charged at their preexisting gateway.

WPvsMW

Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:43 am

HU is more likely than MU, IMO. HU to the US from PEK: BOS, LAS, ORD, SEA, SJC. In the EU, HU is adding DUB and EDI in June 2018, so HU continues trying to buy market share. HU even serves TIJ (Tijuana MX) from PEK ... ??!! but not SoCal. HU might use its LCC, JD (Beijing Capital Airlines). JD now serves CPH and LIS from PEK. Curious to see if the ex-CN service will be from a Tier 2 airport.

sincx

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:35 am

WPvsMW wrote:
HU is more likely than MU, IMO. HU to the US from PEK: BOS, LAS, ORD, SEA, SJC. In the EU, HU is adding DUB and EDI in June 2018, so HU continues trying to buy market share. HU even serves TIJ (Tijuana MX) from PEK ... ??!! but not SoCal. HU might use its LCC, JD (Beijing Capital Airlines). JD now serves CPH and LIS from PEK. Curious to see if the ex-CN service will be from a Tier 2 airport.

HU has fewer frequencies to play around with, and less feed on the China side since it doesn't have a fortress hub in any of the China Zone 1 cities.

LAX772LR

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:43 am

WPvsMW wrote:
HU even serves TIJ (Tijuana MX) from PEK ... ??!!

That flight is purposed to serve MEX and SAN. TIJ is just a stop.

WPvsMW wrote:
but not SoCal.

It's not from lack of desire: there's no available rights with which to serve PEK-Socal, and only two realistic gateways from them to access even if there were; which one which they already access, as mentioned above, via TIJ.

klm617

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:23 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

It couldn't even sustain (notice I didn't say "have") a Euro nonstop until 2011ish or so.

Combined with no significant alliance feed, no prior history of sustaining service to Asia, a smaller base population than most of the N.Am markets JL had maintained before, and a juggernaut intercon gateway that's only a 2hr drive north..... it was quite the risk for so historically conservative of an airline.

I mean, we're talking about a carrier that previously couldn't even make the two largest hubs (ATL and DFW) in the country work, despite being partners with the respective airlines at the time first attempted.

First of all ATL is way different than the west coast as far as China goes. There was a time when Delta couldn't even make ATL work.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

OA940

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:51 pm

Honestly I doubt it's MU or any of the ''Big 3'' of China. Xiamen or Hainan seems more likely to me. Also does anyone know how the CI flight is doing in terms of load factors and yields? Is it better than LAX? Similar?
A350/CSeries = bae

wnflyguy

Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:08 pm

In addition ONT is rumored to be back in negotiations again with Norwegian offerings up huge incentives about making ONT it's premier gate way to Europe.
Service from ONT is being estimated to save Norwegian 37% on cost vs LAX.

The LAX makeover is coming with huge increases in landing and rental fees.
This will finally make ONT a good cheaper low cost alternative.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

MIflyer12

Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:46 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
In addition ONT is rumored to be back in negotiations again with Norwegian offerings up huge incentives about making ONT it's premier gate way to Europe.
Service from ONT is being estimated to save Norwegian 37% on cost vs LAX.

Flyguy

A critical mind would look at how expenses flow from long-haul flights.

After:
wages & salaries
fuel
aircraft depreciation, amortization & maintenance
mandated per-passenger fees and taxes from international travel

A 37% reduction of a relatively small number doesn't mean much, if it's even that.

LAX772LR

Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:57 pm

klm617 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

First of all ATL is way different than the west coast as far as China goes. There was a time when Delta couldn't even make ATL work.

What does Atlanta to China have to do with anything I just said?

LAXintl
Topic Author

Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:05 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

Dont know where you get that info, but per latest financial projections issued December 2017, the 3 year forecast has cost escalation at mere 8 percent, which based on economic forecast is almost exactly what CPI is forecast in the US.

LAX cost in many ways can remain quite stable as traffic volumes have increased some 20% over last couple of years which spreads capital project and debt cost over ever larger passengers enplanement base.

Longer term ONT will also face cost escalation as it itself will have capital project cost to cover (new international arrival facility for example) and soon be fully responsible for cost of services which LAWA still provides under the transition agreement. Also ONT will soon be required to pay for support contract services from San Bernardino County which themselves rise faster than CPI every year as many other contract cities experience.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

afcjets

Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:06 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

It's not all that surprising since California has more capacity to Asia than Europe, but in some ways it is because you don't see many Asians in SD like you do in LA and SF.

EDIT: Actually I forgot about Mira Mesa.

LAX772LR

Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:17 pm

afcjets wrote:
It's not all that surprising since California has more capacity to Asia than Europe

Not by the margin that people often assume.

Though the influx of secondary Chinese carriers has tipped the scale over the last few years, LAX for example is (and has long been) fairly balanced between TPAC traffic and TATL traffic.

Not really that hard to do though, when essentially every airline who's any airline, flies here.
That, and quite a few non-European airlines offer TATL service here as well.

nmk829

Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:25 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:

IAH (UA)

flyfresno

Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:18 pm

nmk829 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

IAH (UA)

ONT had service to Toronto? Wow...

BGS91762

Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:22 pm

flyfresno wrote:
nmk829 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

IAH (UA)

Yes I remember taking that flights few times in the early 2000s. Flight was always full or oversold. Guess the yields must not have been great.

many321

Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:28 pm

OA940 wrote:
Honestly I doubt it's MU or any of the ''Big 3'' of China. Xiamen or Hainan seems more likely to me. Also does anyone know how the CI flight is doing in terms of load factors and yields? Is it better than LAX? Similar?

That's what I suspect also.

With Loads I've done dummy bookings from now to mid May though I don't know if we could trust that to tell if they're doing well or not.

raylee67

Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:29 pm

flyfresno wrote:
nmk829 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

IAH (UA)

From Ontario... to Ontario.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos