User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 3271
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:53 pm

WNflyer1523 wrote:
I know it’s a bit of a stretch, but maybe MCO-Tokyo? Both cities have evolving businesses, and it would be the first Asia-Florida nonstop.
GOAA has been heavily emphasizing on an Asian route. It would be neat to see DL put the A350 on it, but that seems like a pipedream. ANA is probably the most likely candidate.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...
 
klakzky123
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:05 am

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:20 pm

WNflyer1523 wrote:
I know it’s a bit of a stretch, but maybe MCO-Tokyo? Both cities have evolving businesses, and it would be the first Asia-Florida nonstop.


With DL closing the NRT hub, I don't think they'd bother with any new Tokyo flights. Seoul is the new option for Asia-Pac flights but I think DL and KE probably need some time to get their feet wet with the JV.
 
klm617
Posts: 4439
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:25 pm

FNT needs to be reconnected with MCO with a morning flight into MCO and a late evening departure back to Flint.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1770
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:49 pm

WNflyer1523 wrote:
I know it’s a bit of a stretch, but maybe MCO-Tokyo? Both cities have evolving businesses, and it would be the first Asia-Florida nonstop.

Delta doesn't have the connections in NRT to make the flight work, hence, why they're probably going to shut down that hub in a few years time, and they're also certainly not going to use up one of their HND slots on the route. The only aircraft that Delta has that could make this route work would be the Airbus A350-900 and the Boeing 777-200ER/LR, and I don't think that the demand is there to support such a large aircraft/capacity on the route. Also, ATL already has a nonstop to NRT, and the close(ish) proximity of ATL and MCO to each other doesn't help either...
 
deltalaw
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:02 pm

FA9295 wrote:
WNflyer1523 wrote:
I know it’s a bit of a stretch, but maybe MCO-Tokyo? Both cities have evolving businesses, and it would be the first Asia-Florida nonstop.

Delta doesn't have the connections in NRT to make the flight work, hence, why they're probably going to shut down that hub in a few years time, and they're also certainly not going to use up one of their HND slots on the route. The only aircraft that Delta has that could make this route work would be the Airbus A350-900 and the Boeing 777-200ER/LR, and I don't think that the demand is there to support such a large aircraft/capacity on the route. Also, ATL already has a nonstop to NRT, and the close(ish) proximity of ATL and MCO to each other doesn't help either...


Any regular MCO flyer will see plenty of Japanese passengers connecting through ATL and DTW back home. The fair point raised above is whether there would be enough Japanese passengers willing to pay a premium for nonstop service to fill a 777 when you consider the massive amount of one-stop opportunities.
 
davescj
Posts: 1275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:46 am

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:13 pm

deltalaw wrote:
Any regular MCO flyer will see plenty of Japanese passengers connecting through ATL and DTW back home. The fair point raised above is whether there would be enough Japanese passengers willing to pay a premium for nonstop service to fill a 777 when you consider the massive amount of one-stop opportunities.


If there were enough traffic to support the route, surely ANA or JAL would have started it by now? I would suggest that there simply isn't the demand for a non-stop. And surely, if demand to FL were going to get a non stop, would it not be MIA? That would be just under 7500 per great circle, and within the range of a 777. JAL could then connect to cities in FL (to compliment connections out of ORD or DFW) as well as Latin America/Caribbean.

I wonder if DL won't add some smaller midwest cities to MCO - MKE, or something similar.
Can I have a mojito on this flight?
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 3271
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:35 pm

davescj wrote:
deltalaw wrote:
I wonder if DL won't add some smaller midwest cities to MCO - MKE, or something similar.
They already do, Saturday seasonal. However, I think MKE nad GRR could be year round and daily.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...
 
User avatar
neomax
Posts: 945
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:26 am

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:40 pm

flymco753 wrote:
WNflyer1523 wrote:
I know it’s a bit of a stretch, but maybe MCO-Tokyo? Both cities have evolving businesses, and it would be the first Asia-Florida nonstop.
GOAA has been heavily emphasizing on an Asian route. It would be neat to see DL put the A350 on it, but that seems like a pipedream. ANA is probably the most likely candidate.


If AMS is any indication, DL’s Int’l growth from MCO is going to be driven by SkyTeam. For TPAC, that probably means ICN, although MSP would get it before MCO does. The more likely outcome is going to be CDG, at least until MSP gets ICN.
 
afcjets
Posts: 2895
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:05 am

LAX772LR wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
First, BA also flies FLL-LGW, with comparatively low fares at that.

Second, DL recently flew MFW-LON, and pulled out the instant they were able to do so without losing the slot rights. No way that they're going to jump on that again this recently since.


Delta has never even flown to MFW (Magaruque, Mozambique) let alone MFW-LON. Not sure where you're getting that info or that they dropped the route there and maintained slots to LHR from it.

Get a grip dude.

MFW was an unofficial designator for South Florida Metro, originating from the amalgamation of Miami + Ft. Lauderdale + (West) Palm Beach; but no longer used by the IATA.

Even after Mozambique got the designation, most software would differentiate the two based on the hemisphere of origin. Even GCM did so until recently.

That, and context. :roll:


LAX772LR wrote:
I, and others, have used that here for years with no problem in other posters understanding to whom it referred.


I had never heard MFW for MIA/FLL/PBI either. I also had to look it up and was reminded a loud bar/restaurant on PCH in Laguna is actually named after a country in Africa (because it's just an average (at best) steakhouse with spicy steak sauce and live bands lol). I thought maybe you made a typo but then since DL flies to some weird places in Africa I thought ok, perhaps they did fly there one-stop via LON for a brief period and I wasn't paying attention.

Since I was really curious why I had never heard it before, I actually searched for MFW on the forums and it's not as widely used and known as you say. In fact, in the past 5+ years it has been used here (6 pages on a search!), 100% of the time it has been used by you, someone quoting you or someone asking or arguing with you about it. Going back further, 2travel2know (whoever that is) used it once in 2011 or 2012, then after that 2 guys, who are also from Louisiana (ConcordeBoy and MAH4546) used it often. One of them wrote in a tone very similar to yours (MAH4546 I believe) and the only other poster I can tell who they are by what they type without reading their name is Jplatts (with him 100% accuracy, you not so much). Interestingly both of them joined 17 years ago (maybe that's when a.net started though) but they quoted each other often so I doubt they are the same person. Going back 12+ years there were a couple of other users who used it too. Someone else used it but it was a typo for MFE (McAllen, TX) and several people used MFW as acronyms for "my face when" and "max fuel weight". Almost every time someone used it as a city code, someone asked what it was for.

Also, why didn't you just state what airport DL flew from in South Florida to London from recently? I would love to know. Was it more than one?
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12491
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:58 am

afcjets wrote:
Also, why didn't you just state what airport DL flew from in South Florida to London from recently? I would love to know. Was it more than one?

Same reason I don't always differentiate between any given gateway in a metro with multiple airports, especially if I'm referring to the entire market as a whole.

Though if you're asking to actually know, as opposed to out of rhetoric:
DL flew nonstop MIA-LHR from March 2011 to April 2012.

https://news.delta.com/delta-boosts-int ... ights-2011
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
afcjets
Posts: 2895
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:42 am

LAX772LR wrote:
afcjets wrote:
Also, why didn't you just state what airport DL flew from in South Florida to London from recently? I would love to know. Was it more than one?

Same reason I don't always differentiate between any given gateway in a metro with multiple airports, especially if I'm referring to the entire market as a whole.

Though if you're asking to actually know, as opposed to out of rhetoric:
DL flew nonstop MIA-LHR from March 2011 to April 2012.

https://news.delta.com/delta-boosts-int ... ights-2011


Yes, I did actually want to know. Thanks.
 
DeSpringbokke
Posts: 371
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:27 am

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:56 am

I agree with earlier posters that any Delta International expansion from MCO will be driven by JVs. If Delta can get the slots, MCO-LHR sounds like a safe bet as all Central Florida-LON flying is to Gatwick. In fact, the only airport in Florida that has LHR service is MIA. If MCO-AMS works out, and it sounds like it will as Delta will operate it through the winter albeit with reduced frequency, MCO-CDG shouldn't be too far off. As for ICN flying, this is a route made for KE's 787-9s as it is Y heavy. Any further MCO-Brazil flying on Delta will depend on what happens with GOL and a much improved Brazilian economy. Unless JAL or ANA fly MCO-NRT with a Dreamliner, its very unlikely you'll ever see a MCO-TYO flight.
 
afcjets
Posts: 2895
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:16 am

I am actually surprised no one flies TYS-MCO. The metro area has a population of almost 1 million and it seems like at least DL Connection could try it.

The first Delta L1011 I ever flew on was MCO-ATL and it continued onto TYS. IIRC at the time every DL flight ATL-TYS was an L10. This was back in 1982 however when TYS was the site of the World's Fair and the only reason TYS saw the L10.
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 2883
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:37 am

Looking at the destinations already served from MCO, why doesn't DL do what it has done with RDU and make it formally a focus city? I would think maybe CDG is next within that huge TATL JV. I get why AMS was chosen over CDG before, as AMS is a better connecting airport.

For those mentioning B6, I see FLL as the better jumping-off point for their LatAm network rather than MCO.
 
KMCOFlyer
Topic Author
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:32 am

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:41 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Looking at the destinations already served from MCO, why doesn't DL do what it has done with RDU and make it formally a focus city? I would think maybe CDG is next within that huge TATL JV. I get why AMS was chosen over CDG before, as AMS is a better connecting airport.

For those mentioning B6, I see FLL as the better jumping-off point for their LatAm network rather than MCO.


I would love to see a RDU size operation but I doubt it will happen. I’ll take some modest gains with a few more daily Domestic adds.
 
User avatar
neomax
Posts: 945
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:26 am

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:10 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Looking at the destinations already served from MCO, why doesn't DL do what it has done with RDU and make it formally a focus city? I would think maybe CDG is next within that huge TATL JV. I get why AMS was chosen over CDG before, as AMS is a better connecting airport.

For those mentioning B6, I see FLL as the better jumping-off point for their LatAm network rather than MCO.


In a kind of backwards way, DL has the advantage of not triggering competitors guard against others who might not actively be thinking about DL setting up a hub. This allows DL to creep in and slowly build up their presence until people eventually realize that it is a hub in every way but name. If I was DL, why would I tip off B6 about my future plans if I didn't have to? I would honestly say that if DL reaches a point where it flies to LHR, CDG, AMS, and GRU, it would definitely be a hub at that point, even if it officially isn't by name. They're already halfway there so that point may not be as far as we think.
 
ual763
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:24 am

[photoid][/photoid]
WNflyer1523 wrote:
I know it’s a bit of a stretch, but maybe MCO-Tokyo? Both cities have evolving businesses, and it would be the first Asia-Florida nonstop.


I think the Asian market would be more suited to a Miami flight, rather than Orlando. There’s a reason why you typically never see large groups of Asian people at Disney World. Reason being, the Japanese have a DisneyLand in Tokyo, the Chinese have one in Hong Kong and Shanghai. That would also be one incredibly long flight. Why fly 15+ hours to Florida to see a mouse, when they can visit the Disneyland in their own neck-of-the-woods?
From flying to the NOTAM office
 
User avatar
neomax
Posts: 945
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:26 am

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:39 am

ual763 wrote:
WNflyer1523 wrote:
I know it’s a bit of a stretch, but maybe MCO-Tokyo? Both cities have evolving businesses, and it would be the first Asia-Florida nonstop.


I think the Asian market would be more suited to a Miami flight, rather than Orlando. There’s a reason why you typically never see large groups of Asian people at Disney World. Reason being, the Japanese have a DisneyLand in Tokyo, the Chinese have one in Hong Kong and Shanghai. That would also be one incredibly long flight. Why fly 15+ hours to Florida to see a mouse, when they can visit the Disneyland in their own neck-of-the-woods?


There is stuff besides Disney in CFL...
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 3271
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:50 am

neomax wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
Looking at the destinations already served from MCO, why doesn't DL do what it has done with RDU and make it formally a focus city? I would think maybe CDG is next within that huge TATL JV. I get why AMS was chosen over CDG before, as AMS is a better connecting airport.

For those mentioning B6, I see FLL as the better jumping-off point for their LatAm network rather than MCO.


In a kind of backwards way, DL has the advantage of not triggering competitors guard against others who might not actively be thinking about DL setting up a hub. This allows DL to creep in and slowly build up their presence until people eventually realize that it is a hub in every way but name. If I was DL, why would I tip off B6 about my future plans if I didn't have to? I would honestly say that if DL reaches a point where it flies to LHR, CDG, AMS, and GRU, it would definitely be a hub at that point, even if it officially isn't by name. They're already halfway there so that point may not be as far as we think.
As Ed would say, MCO is at the “cusp” of a hub.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 3271
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:51 am

afcjets wrote:
I am actually surprised no one flies TYS-MCO. The metro area has a population of almost 1 million and it seems like at least DL Connection could try it.

The first Delta L1011 I ever flew on was MCO-ATL and it continued onto TYS. IIRC at the time every DL flight ATL-TYS was an L10. This was back in 1982 however when TYS was the site of the World's Fair and the only reason TYS saw the L10.
F9 does but only less than daily.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...
 
ual763
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:57 am

neomax wrote:
ual763 wrote:
WNflyer1523 wrote:
I know it’s a bit of a stretch, but maybe MCO-Tokyo? Both cities have evolving businesses, and it would be the first Asia-Florida nonstop.


I think the Asian market would be more suited to a Miami flight, rather than Orlando. There’s a reason why you typically never see large groups of Asian people at Disney World. Reason being, the Japanese have a DisneyLand in Tokyo, the Chinese have one in Hong Kong and Shanghai. That would also be one incredibly long flight. Why fly 15+ hours to Florida to see a mouse, when they can visit the Disneyland in their own neck-of-the-woods?


There is stuff besides Disney in CFL...


I know, I know. But, Disney has always been the main draw. As for beach holidays, the Asian market tends to sway heavily towards Hawaii & Guam vs. Florida. Would be cool though! I could see Miami happening though for sure, perhaps a Cathay/American codeshare.
From flying to the NOTAM office
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12491
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Rumor: New DL flights from MCO

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:51 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Looking at the destinations already served from MCO, why doesn't DL do what it has done with RDU and make it formally a focus city?

DL has done that several times over, then retrenched, then rebuilt, and repeated the process.

They did the same with LAX too, before finally going all-in with the current hub effort.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos