Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

xwb777
Topic Author

Flydubai won't locate to DWC. more destinations in Africa, Asia and Europe

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:25 pm

Flydubai, Dubai first LCC, has announced that it is not moving its operation to Dubai World Central in Dubai South. The airline is planning to grow and expand from both airports. Airline CEO, Mr. Ghaith AlGhaith, has expressed that the carrier is looking at destinations in Africa, Asia and Europe. Destinations in Europe will have a 'similar DNA' to Helsinki. The airline has so far announced 3 destinations in 2018, Catania, Thessaloniki, and Helsinki.

Talking about Flydubai and Emirates partnership, Mr. Ghaith has stated that over 400,000 passenger took advantage of the partnership. More destinations will be added soon.
eth
The carrier is expected to receive 8 aircraft in 2018, distributed on both B737MAX8 and MAX9. The carrier has 225 B737MAX on order worth $27b.

Sources: https://m.gulfnews.com/business/aviatio ... -1.2210540

and

https://www.thenational.ae/business/avi ... s-1.724162

TedToToe

Re: Flydubai won't locate to DWC. more destinations in Africa, Asia and Europe

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Maybe not "moving its operation" but the reality is, expansion can only really come about at DWC. Of course, there is a lot of scope for shuffling things around.
Last edited by TedToToe on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lightsaber

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:38 pm

Not a surprise. FluDubai needs connections to fill far too many seats.

DWC is competing with IST, DOH, AUH, DXB, and Air Arabia's hub. Not to mention Kuwait, Indian hubs, and Saudi. Being #6+ is hopeless.

Dubai will hurt until they finance the ten+ billion needed to build out DWC. The new IST hurts that business case. Rising interest rates alter the terms.

I've posted before that EK/FluDubai will cease being the aviation boggyman as they need connections and DWC isn't ready for prime time.

Lightsaber

SumChristianus

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:48 pm

Where are they going to fit everything? With the runway shutdown this summer things will be pretty tight at DXB. DWC can't come fast enough. With FlyDubai more aligned with Emirates I get that they need to be more co-located, but not sure how they will handle growth for a few more years. Unless, is growth slowing? Maybe its less of a problem....but then that questions the need of DWC if the Gulf Carriers are losing steam...

xwb777
Topic Author

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:52 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
Where are they going to fit everything? With the runway shutdown this summer things will be pretty tight at DXB. DWC can't come fast enough. With FlyDubai more aligned with Emirates I get that they need to be more co-located, but not sure how they will handle growth for a few more years. Unless, is growth slowing? Maybe its less of a problem....but then that questions the need of DWC if the Gulf Carriers are losing steam...

Actually the runway closure will be next year from April 16 to May 30 (45days)

ikolkyo

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:19 pm

So FZ is in fact getting the MAX 9, interesting

artofzen

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:19 pm

The airline has so far announced 3 destinations in 2018, Catania, Thessaloniki, and Helsinki.

Dubrovnik and Krakow began in April, so five.

lightsaber

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:34 pm

How many flights does FluDubai currently fly out of DWC? I found links for the original 70 per week in 2015, but nothing since.

Have the number of flights shrunk? I believe so. Mostly as if they had broken a hundred, we would have heard about it.

Dubai aviation is in a squeeze. How to garner the money to move EK to DWC? I never expected such a drop in yeild, so we are in unknown territory.

Oil is too cheap for the regional government budgets...

[email protected]

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:23 pm

In April 2018, FZ has 3,675 flights at DXB across 89 routes. If divided into 4 for simplicity, that'd 919 a week. On a daily basis, it's about 123. Source: Flightglobal Pro.

FZ serves KWI with 248 flights in April, i.e. around 9 daily. This is its most-served city. BAH is #2 with 180 monthly, or about 6 daily. Source: Flightglobal Pro.

MoKa777

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:01 pm

[email protected] wrote:
In April 2018, FZ has 3,675 flights at DXB across 89 routes. If divided into 4 for simplicity, that'd 919 a week. On a daily basis, it's about 123. Source: Flightglobal Pro.

FZ serves KWI with 248 flights in April, i.e. around 9 daily. This is its most-served city. BAH is #2 with 180 monthly, or about 6 daily. Source: Flightglobal Pro.

Awesome! Thanks for this info. It helps with looking at the big picture.

CaliguyNYC

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:07 pm

So DXB supposedly is full and can’t give good slots to Indian airlines so that the current bilaterals can be filled. But Flydubai is banking on growth at DXB and not moving to the other airport...hmmm makes total sense. No wonder the Indian govt has been calling dubai out and refusing to expand the bilateral. I think Flydubai proves what the Indian airlines have been saying all along that DXB is just withholding slots from them.

Clipper101

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:48 pm

xwb777 wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

Actually the runway closure will be next year from April 16 to May 30 (45days)

It appears to me they could be laying the ground for a new runway at DWC (http://www.satelliteworldmap.com/#?l=24 ... 0,0,1,1,13), can somebody confirm !

Pepper456

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:59 pm

And I'm waiting, paciently, of FZ or EK DXB-OPO, There are a lot of demand about this route, and I preview that it would be a very profitable route.

xwb777
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:04 am

SCQ83

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:34 am

I think Spain could have potential for FlyDubai, given that EK flies only to MAD and BCN.

Destinations like AGP, VLC, BIO or IBZ might work.

Jayafe

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:37 am

SCQ83 wrote:
Destinations like ... IBZ might work.

Absolutely won’t.

Kikko19

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:40 am

without EK connections they won't work, how many people want to go just to dubai? I guess fares to DWC will be trash

FlyRow

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:51 am

I would love to see RTM or EIN in the list. Dont no how realistic, but would be nice!

SCQ83

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:52 am

Qatar flies to Mykonos so I can’t see why Ibiza wouldn’t work for FlyDubai. IBZ is way bigger.

FZ also increasingly serves niche holiday destinations like Tivat or Dubrovnik.

oldannyboy

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:44 pm

Jayafe wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Absolutely won’t.

Absolutely would.
Maybe you are simply not aware of the amount of upper-higher-end tourism that rotates not only around Ibiza, but the Balearic Island at large.
Don't be fooled by cheap&cheerful "week in Mallorca" kind of thing, those islands have a TON of incredible villas, properties, and hotels in stunning places that cater for the very rich, as well restaurants and night clubs to match. Same for places like Santorini, Mykonos, Sardinia, Dubrovnik.....

hz747300

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:01 pm

Jayafe wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Absolutely won’t.

Just curious as you posted this three times, why don't you think it would work? I would think that there may be enough transfer traffic through DXB from Russian, Australian, Kiwi, and other parts of Asia destinations on FZ and EK to make 4x weekly to IBZ work.

lightsaber wrote:
Dubai will hurt until they finance the ten+ billion needed to build out DWC.

I was wondering why the delay with such a glaring need.

Kikko19

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:23 pm

hz747300 wrote:
Jayafe wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Absolutely won’t.

Just curious as you posted this three times, why don't you think it would work? I would think that there may be enough transfer traffic through DXB from Russian, Australian, Kiwi, and other parts of Asia destinations on FZ and EK to make 4x weekly to IBZ work.

lightsaber wrote:
Dubai will hurt until they finance the ten+ billion needed to build out DWC.

I was wondering why the delay with such a glaring need.

Odd isn't it? they should be loaded with money. I might understand the government of Portugal that has little or no money for a new airport, but with EK and FZ expanding exponentially it's very odd.

Galwayman

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:27 pm

IBZ would definitely work , Dubai expats would pay top dollar for it during the season

Galwayman

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:29 pm

Even Gran Canaria wound work if there are connections to EK and if the max has the range ...

Kikko19

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:36 pm

i'd see a myriad of airports in central and eastern Europer/russia connecting/feeding EK to australasia/N/C/SAmerica and Africa. when and if DWC will be ready it will be interesting. QR and TK will have to respond somehow...

raylee67

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:44 pm

DWC is going to be the largest (almost) unused airport in the world, after YMX.

Kikko19

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:54 pm

raylee67 wrote:
DWC is going to be the largest (almost) unused airport in the world, after YMX.

They started with, how many 10 runways project? How many are now active? 1? Megalomaniacs got smarter when they had to count the dollars...

[email protected]

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Kikko19 wrote:
without EK connections they won't work, how many people want to go just to dubai? I guess fares to DWC will be trash

15.8 million people from across the world visited Dubai in 2017.

HELyes

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:15 pm

xwb777 wrote:
Destinations in Europe will have a 'similar DNA' to Helsinki.

I wonder what Flydubai means by the similar DNA to Helsinki. HEL is kind of an oddball in Europe, a middle sized hub relying heavily on Asia.

[email protected]

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:19 pm

HELyes wrote:
xwb777 wrote:

I wonder what Flydubai means by the similar DNA to Helsinki. HEL is kind of an oddball in Europe, a middle sized hub relying heavily on Asia.

Suspect they mean:

Unserved by EK or FZ from DXB
    Mid-sized

HELyes

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:48 pm

[email protected] wrote:
HELyes wrote:
xwb777 wrote:

Suspect they mean:

Mid-sized

Are there any left in the same size category (around 20M), TXL? ;) Good news anyways, better late than never.

[email protected]

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:51 pm

HELyes wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
HELyes wrote:

Suspect they mean:

Mid-sized

Are there any left in the same size category (around 20M), TXL? ;) Good news anyways, better late than never.

Meant mid-sized more in terms of metro city around a city.

parapente

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:05 pm

Is hyperloop going to connect the two airports?

RyanairGuru

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:34 pm

HELyes wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
HELyes wrote:

Suspect they mean:

Mid-sized

FlyDubai is a UAE registered company so therefore cannot fly to TXL, or indeed anywhere in Germany other than the four cities EK already fly to. Emirates not flying to Berlin has nothing to do with the size of the market, they would have been flying there years ago if they could.

HEATHROWHUNTER

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:14 pm

FZ are no longer flying into Bangkok I believe ??? Although this route is served by EK several times a day on the A380 and TG on the A350, I would of still thought demand was high enough to fill 2 daily 737’s, especially if the price is right ?
In addition I wonder if the FZ will explore the UK market ? Obviously not LHR or LGW but perhaps STN ?

FWAERJ

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:28 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
HELyes wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Suspect they mean:

Mid-sized

FlyDubai is a UAE registered company so therefore cannot fly to TXL, or indeed anywhere in Germany other than the four cities EK already fly to. Emirates not flying to Berlin has nothing to do with the size of the market, they would have been flying there years ago if they could.

Wouldn't FZ be subject to its own set of four German airports, like how EK and EY operate from their own sets of four different airports (the latter largely because of the AB era)? If so, FZ could be Dubai's Trojan horse into more German cities - even if only four more for EK + FZ.

RyanairGuru

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:06 pm

FWAERJ wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
HELyes wrote:

Wouldn't FZ be subject to its own set of four German airports, like how EK and EY operate from their own sets of four different airports (the latter largely because of the AB era)? If so, FZ could be Dubai's Trojan horse into more German cities - even if only four more for EK + FZ.

No, the UAE gets four airports period. Etihad had to make do with where Emirates already flew to, which is why AUH-TXL (and some oddballs like AUH-STR) were on AB metal.

hongkongflyer

Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:01 am

Kikko19 wrote:

As many routes have more then a daily flights, they could actually fly out of both DXB (timing for connection with EK's bank) and DWC.
O&D for flights out of DXB will have a premium in the price to attract O&D traffic to go for the DWC flights to free up some valuable slots for further growth for either FZ and EK.

xwb777
Topic Author

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:19 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
So FZ is in fact getting the MAX 9, interesting

Delivery is expected during the second half of the year.

xwb777
Topic Author

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:20 pm

Flydubai also have 50 B737 MAX 10 on order

xwb777
Topic Author

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:23 pm

HEATHROWHUNTER wrote:
FZ are no longer flying into Bangkok I believe ??? Although this route is served by EK several times a day on the A380 and TG on the A350, I would of still thought demand was high enough to fill 2 daily 737’s, especially if the price is right ?
In addition I wonder if the FZ will explore the UK market ? Obviously not LHR or LGW but perhaps STN ?

Yes. FZ has dropped its 2 daily flights to BKK. EK will start daily flights to STN from June 8.

PatrickZ80

Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:21 pm

Some possible destinations for them:

Bergen
Billund
Eindhoven
Goteborg
Innsbruck
Marseille
Milan Bergamo
Palma de Mallorca

PerfectGriffin

Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:17 am

I still don't understand how they can keep a fleet of 200+ aircraft....

behramjee

Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:20 am

Question...FZ have suspended this year BKK, CMB, MLE, DAC, AJF, YNB, HOF and soon CGP (15Jun onwards). They have added SKG, FIH, Aqaba and HEL. The additions don't seem to cover up the amount of flying time the suspended routes encompass so have they increased frequencies on current online destinations in Summer 2018? If so which ones?

Arion640

Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:51 am

HEATHROWHUNTER wrote:

No need for duplication of routes if EK have it well covered. There's 2 slots then at DXB that can the be used elsewhere.

worldranger

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:57 am

PerfectGriffin wrote:
I still don't understand how they can keep a fleet of 200+ aircraft....

2/3 of worlds population lives within 8 hours of Dubai. Bangladesh and Pakistan combined have roughly the same pop of US.

There are cities that people barely know of that have 1m plus population. Airline pax growth is doubling every 15 years.

All those aircraft are not arriving next Monday.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos