FlyPNS1
Topic Author

WN leases slots from AS at LGA/DCA

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:32 pm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... yptr=yahoo

Not a real surprise as I'm sure AS wasn't getting great value from them anyway.

davescj

Re: WN leases slots from AS at LGA/DCA

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:40 pm

Good choice by WN. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I must admit, I'm surprised by AS being willing to rent the slots, as with the VX merger, this would provide a natural growth opportunity. Of course, with putting their name (AS) on the JFK terminal, we see where the energy is.
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

tphuang

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:44 pm

The only question I have is how come there are so many slots? I thought they only had 4 pairs for LGA-DAL and 3 pairs for DCA-DAL

jumbojet

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:46 pm

are these slot leases contestable by other airlines that use LGA/DCA?

HeeseokKoo

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:48 pm

tphuang wrote:
The only question I have is how come there are so many slots? I thought they only had 4 pairs for LGA-DAL and 3 pairs for DCA-DAL

VX successfully purchased 6 at LGA, 4 at DCA when AA-DL swapped LGA-DCA slots back in 2014.

A bigger news is, AS plans to shut down DAL-East Coast flights from this fall.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:51 pm

jumbojet wrote:

Well the deal has been approved by regulators and takes effect in October. I’m guessing if they aren’t Alaska’s to lease out, they probably wouldn’t have gone through the approval process.

We should know pretty much right away though.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

FlyPNS1
Topic Author

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:53 pm

jumbojet wrote:

That's a good question. The DOJ has supposedley signed off on the deal already, so that might limit appeals.

Really, there aren't many carriers that could complain.

DL/AA have a lot of slots at both airports, so they can't complain. UA doesn't really have great use for anymore in-perimeter slots at either.
I don't think G4 really cares about slots at these airports.
That really only leaves F9/NK/B6 as candidates that might complain.

Sightseer

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:56 pm

jumbojet wrote:

Per the article, the DOJ has already signed off on the deal.

KMCOFlyer

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:57 pm

I really don’t expect AS to remain at DAL for much longer or it will reduce it schedule there. AS flies to SEA and PDX already from DFW and what good does it do for AS to operate at two airports that are 10 miles apart for a West Coast airline like AS. AS may also not shrink to try and squat on the gates as if they get too low in daily departures, WN may complain that AS should be forced to share gates with DL.

msycajun

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:02 pm

I wonder if MSY-LGA will be in the cards. WN has operated the route a few Saturdays during the holidays and it seemed to do well. They already operate 2 daily MSY-DCA and it holds its own.

WkndWanderer

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:04 pm

KMCOFlyer wrote:
I really don’t expect AS to remain at DAL for much longer or it will reduce it schedule there. AS flies to SEA and PDX already from DFW and what good does it do for AS to operate at two airports that are 10 miles apart for a West Coast airline like AS. AS may also not shrink to try and squat on the gates as if they get too low in daily departures, WN may complain that AS should be forced to share gates with DL.

Alaska is adding additional PDX and SJC flights from DAL, and exclusively serves SFO and LAX from there in addition to SEA. Unless Alaska reestablishes some meaningful reciprocal FF agreement with AA again or joins OneWorld, I doubt they're going to want to give up what they have at Love for DFW.

jmw99ttu

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:06 pm

As someone who lives close to Love Field and who likes an assigned seat, this makes me a little sad. I'm not at all surprised though. I've taken the DAL-DCA flight many times and I don't think it's ever been even 2/3 full.

My two questions are, where is WN going to get the gate space at DAL to operate these additional flights? Will other cities lose some frequencies or service? Second, is AS going add new West Coast destinations, or just up the frequency on existing destinations? I would assume upping frequency on existing service.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:09 pm

jmw99ttu wrote:
As someone who lives close to Love Field and who likes an assigned seat, this makes me a little sad. I'm not at all surprised though. I've taken the DAL-DCA flight many times and I don't think it's ever been even 2/3 full.

My two questions are, where is WN going to get the gate space at DAL to operate these additional flights? Will other cities lose some frequencies or service? Second, is AS going add new West Coast destinations, or just up the frequency on existing destinations? I would assume upping frequency on existing service.

WN has not said anything about where they’ll fly to using the slots. They don’t need to be used only to DAL.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

jmw99ttu

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:19 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
jmw99ttu wrote:

WN has not said anything about where they’ll fly to using the slots. They don’t need to be used only to DAL.

Good point. I read the article too quickly the first time through.

stlgph

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:26 pm

Southwest flying to Cincinnati from LaGuardia would be a lot of fun :)
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

KMCOFlyer

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:28 pm

WkndWanderer wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:

Alaska is adding additional PDX and SJC flights from DAL, and exclusively serves SFO and LAX from there in addition to SEA. Unless Alaska reestablishes some meaningful reciprocal FF agreement with AA again or joins OneWorld, I doubt they're going to want to give up what they have at Love for DFW.

Even if they don’t leave completely, I still expect them to shrink a little. If I were WN and this happens, i’d argue that AS should have room to share with DL. Things could be getting ugly at DAL again soon. I bet the DOJ is regretting the decision now to give the gates to VX instead of DL.

WWads

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:33 pm

So this basically confirms that AS bought VX to kill it. To prevent B6 from making the acquisition and actually using the merger to improve its network.

Nice one regulators.

WWads

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:38 pm

stlgph wrote:

Eh I'm not so sure. AA is close to dropping that route (down from 3x E175s to 2x ERJ140s), and F9 seems to be filling the need for a LCC on that route quite well.

scoping2008

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:45 pm

WWads wrote:
So this basically confirms that AS bought VX to kill it and prevent B6 from making the acquisition and actually using the merger to improve its network.

Nice one regulators.

Did you overlook the entire State of California? Alaska became the #2 carrier at SFO, a relevant presence at LAX, and added several additional California routes when it acquired VX. So, Alaska has greatly improved its network. Dropping two routes from DAL to the East Coast makes sense when your business model is centered around creating a dominant West Coast carrier.

airliner371

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:48 pm

MSY is an obvious add for WN at LGA, probably IND and CMH too, perhaps OMA or BWI.

At DCA, increased frequencies, perhaps IND. ISP would be a cool add, though I know it's crazy. Would solidify WN's presence at ISP and show their commitment to the NYC area.

I think we could see some adjusting at EWR too. More west coast. SMF, SJC, LAX (area), LAS, SAT, SJU, CUN and PDX all seem like reasonable possibilities for WN EVENTUALLY out of EWR, considering they have a strong within-perimeter network at LGA. These west coast flights would be focused at getting west coast passengers to NYC, less so the other way around...

Midwestindy

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:52 pm

airliner371 wrote:
MSY is an obvious add for WN at LGA, probably IND and CMH too, perhaps OMA or BWI.

At DCA, increased frequencies, perhaps IND. ISP would be a cool add, though I know it's crazy. Would solidify WN's presence at ISP and show their commitment to the NYC area.

Nada, WN just cut IND-DCA last November, I doubt they bring it back so soon.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Sooner787

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:53 pm

How long until DL makes an offer to AS for their 2 KDAL gates?

Doesn't make sense for AS to operate from both DFW and Love Field,
especially with such a small presence in the Dallas market

jfklganyc

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:59 pm

I see bluejet was caught napping again in their hometown.

How is that ongoing “fleet review” going guys?

DarthLobster

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:16 pm

WWads wrote:
So this basically confirms that AS bought VX to kill it. To prevent B6 from making the acquisition and actually using the merger to improve its network.

Nice one regulators.

Yup, it was all to shut down one or two transcons. Had nothing to do with growing on the west coast, just killing a handful of routes which never would have really helped B6 in the first place. Your business acumen exceeds those who disgorged billions for this deal!

FSDan

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:20 pm

Hopefully WN will start DCA-OKC with one of the 4 DCA slots.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

fastmover

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:21 pm

WWads wrote:

Nice one regulators.

Shocking right.

WWads

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:43 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
WWads wrote:

Nice one regulators.

Yup, it was all to shut down one or two transcons. Had nothing to do with growing on the west coast, just killing a handful of routes which never would have really helped B6 in the first place. Your business acumen exceeds those who disgorged billions for this deal!

Oh the acquisition was good business, but allowing it to happen was terrible public policy.

tphuang

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:50 pm

Also, I have to say pretty embarrassing on JetBlue part to not outbid southwest on this. Or if they didn’t try to bid, that would be even worse.

USAirKid

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:54 pm

WWads wrote:

Nice one regulators.

Were the DAL-LGA and DAL DCA routes ever really a core VX route? It seems to me like AS tried to save this route and make it work by downgaging it to the E175, which is a nice airplane, as nice, if not nicer than the A320 series.

VX was already running their DAL operation on their smallest plane, the a A319, so its not like routes out of DAL were printing money..

USAirKid

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:56 pm

tphuang wrote:
Also, I have to say pretty embarrassing on JetBlue part to not outbid southwest on this. Or if they didn’t try to bid, that would be even worse.

I'm curious if AS went right to WN to attempt to curry some favor with WN, given that AS still wants to be at DAL and not forced to accommodate DL.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:58 pm

WWads wrote:

Nice one regulators.

How does DAL-LGA/DCA improve Alaska's network? In this same thread we have people asking why AS is even in DAL? VX was trying to make a go of it in DAL and, given time, may have been able to seen some success. We'll never know because they threw in the towel on the whole shabang. However, arguing that DAL-LGA/DCA has strong intrinsic value to the national air network - let alone Alaska Airlines' network - is laughable. I doubt it will even register as a blip on anyone's radar.

KMCOFlyer wrote:
Even if they don’t leave completely, I still expect them to shrink a little. If I were WN and this happens, i’d argue that AS should have room to share with DL. Things could be getting ugly at DAL again soon. I bet the DOJ is regretting the decision now to give the gates to VX instead of DL.

There's already a court proceeding scheduled for February 2019 on the gate issues at DAL. WN has already argued that DAL should share with AS so that bridge has already been crossed.

I doubt the DOJ really gives a rip. A gate issue at DAL is pretty small potatoes in the national air system. If the gates are that important to AS, they'll keep enough service going. If not, they'll let it all ride.

Sooner787 wrote:
How long until DL makes an offer to AS for their 2 KDAL gates?

Doesn't make sense for AS to operate from both DFW and Love Field,
especially with such a small presence in the Dallas market

Time will tell. They might continue to add destinations out of DAL. They might just be waiting for an offer from someone. They might scale back. Who knows? What we DO know is that the gates are some of the hardest-to-get in the US and they are in a massive metro area. AS probably wants to at least give it a shot and see how it works. If they still had the codeshare with AA over DFW as an option, I'd think differently.

jfklganyc wrote:
I see bluejet was caught napping again in their hometown.

How is that ongoing “fleet review” going guys?

Well, WN has deeper pockets and as competitive as they are with AS, it's probably more palatable to sell them to WN than to B6 at this stage.
-Dave

cvgComair

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:01 pm

WWads wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Eh I'm not so sure. AA is close to dropping that route (down from 3x E175s to 2x ERJ140s), and F9 seems to be filling the need for a LCC on that route quite well.

It certainly would be great to see, but WN mentioned that the next routes from CVG will be the West Coast/Southeast/Boston. F9 is getting 90%+ loads on their daily route and CVG-LGA has grown 31% YOY, so perhaps it isn't that unreasonable, but CMH probably has a better shot.

airliner371

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:01 pm

FSDan wrote:

It's funny, I thought about that too. I think it would warm the hearts of a lot of people in the company if they add that route, considering a lot of them signed a petition to get that slot for Southwest, ultimately losing-out to AA. Southwest has grown a lot at DCA since then, but OKC understandably hasn't been a priority. I wonder, with the strict perimeter rule, when Southwest reaches the point where it will add a city like OKC to the DCA map. I suspect frequency increases are in the works but I would love to be surprised with maybe another northeast city or something more out-there.

WWads

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:15 pm

airliner371 wrote:
FSDan wrote:

It's funny, I thought about that too. I think it would warm the hearts of a lot of people in the company if they add that route, considering a lot of them signed a petition to get that slot for Southwest, ultimately losing-out to AA. Southwest has grown a lot at DCA since then, but OKC understandably hasn't been a priority. I wonder, with the strict perimeter rule, when Southwest reaches the point where it will add a city like OKC to the DCA map. I suspect frequency increases are in the works but I would love to be surprised with maybe another northeast city or something more out-there.

I have to wonder about the gate situation at A. Slots aside, that terminal is overflowing as is.

CHI2DFW

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:15 pm

HeeseokKoo wrote:
tphuang wrote:

VX successfully purchased 6 at LGA, 4 at DCA when AA-DL swapped LGA-DCA slots back in 2014.

AS has no interest in DAL. This is just the beginning of the consolidation at DFW. Now what they do with the gates?

airliner371

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:23 pm

WWads wrote:
airliner371 wrote:
FSDan wrote:

I have to wonder about the gate situation at A. Slots aside, that terminal is overflowing as is.

I could see AC moving into VX's gate at DCA, giving Southwest the additional gate, and providing A some relief. AC and UA customers can't connect post security anyway, so mine as well move AC closer.

SANFan

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:25 pm

WkndWanderer wrote:

You forgot the other west coast, CA city that is also served by AS from DAL - San Diego...

Interestingly enough, SAN, along with PDX, were shown in the schedules for months to receive a 2nd DAL flight on June 3. Then, without warning, on the April 8 sked load, less than 2 months in advance, the 2nd SAN flight was shifted to SJC, and PDX's 2nd flight was delayed until July. I don't know why the last minute changes -- PDX's delay could very well be due to an EMJ delivery delay -- but I do have theories. It looks like both of those 2nd DAL flights are remaining at least thru the end of the year.

AS may be messing around with who and when the DAL flights happen but they don't seem to me to be giving up on the airport.

bb

KMCOFlyer

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:36 pm

WWads wrote:
airliner371 wrote:

I could see AC moving into VX's gate at DCA, giving Southwest the additional gate, and providing A some relief. AC and UA customers can't connect post security anyway, so mine as well move AC closer.

I doubt AS wants to give up a gate at DCA. They currently have 1 1/2 gates (They share 18 with DL) and would be cutting it close operated flights to 4 destinations out of 1/2 a gate. A is definitely not capped on gates. Ever since SY left DCA back in January, Gate 1 has been vacant which WN could easily expand into if it needs to but the gate remains vacant.

phluser

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:36 pm

airliner371 wrote:

I think we could see some adjusting at EWR too. More west coast. SMF, SJC, LAX (area), LAS, SAT, SJU, CUN and PDX all seem like reasonable possibilities for WN EVENTUALLY out of EWR, considering they have a strong within-perimeter network at LGA. These west coast flights would be focused at getting west coast passengers to NYC, less so the other way around...

I agree about LGA/EWR adjustments. Most likely, IND-EWR shifts to IND-LGA. I'm not sure what it will do at DCA though.

For EWR additions, I'm not sure WN will go heavy on long distance flights: I'm guessing it might be intro of DAL and ATL. Never understood why EWR-ATL was bypassed at so many times when other EWR routes were added and then deleted. Long time ago, WN announced plans for DAL which included EWR. But when VX announced DAL-LGA, WN forego EWR to just beef up DAL-LGA. Given that Northern/Central NJ and Atlanta metro and even Dallas have a large minority VFR populations (Black, Indian American, etc.), WN should do well with these large markets.
Last edited by phluser on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NWADTWE16

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:41 pm

I echo the "great job regulators line" (shakes head) . This is sad. Our country is all about the corporations, not the people, and admins, that's not a political comment, that's a TRUE statement.
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

EA CO AS

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:47 pm

CHI2DFW wrote:
AS has no interest in DAL.

Ugh, not this again. DAL isn't going anywhere, and AS will simply serve DAL from other west coast cities instead of LGA/DCA.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

phluser

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:49 pm

CHI2DFW wrote:
HeeseokKoo wrote:
tphuang wrote:

AS has no interest in DAL. This is just the beginning of the consolidation at DFW. Now what they do with the gates?

But AS could consolidate it's DFW operation into DAL.

I'm not saying it will but, here are a couple of DAL benefits:
a. DAL operating costs are lower.
b. For it's customers coming in from SEA or other core AS markets, the car rental experience is a lot easier at DAL than DFW.
c. closer to downtown

Of course there are points to be made for consolidating at DFW over DAL too.

phluser

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:12 am

USAirKid wrote:
tphuang wrote:

I'm curious if AS went right to WN to attempt to curry some favor with WN, given that AS still wants to be at DAL and not forced to accommodate DL.

I doubt it needs to curry favor from WN, but there is a strategic benefit of WN ending up taking the slot pairs. WN ends up allocating planes on intra-East travel (ex DCA/LGA) that might have otherwise been used on intra-West routes that AS has more interest.

jfklganyc

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:22 am

Also, just searching back...

AS was using 4 slots at LGA

B6 was using 2 of the 6 slots

If that still holds true, B6 not only lost out on bidding for slots, but will actually have to cut 2 roundtrips to LGA.

gmcc

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:24 am

There was also a little tidbit in the conference call from Brad Tilden, I think. It was something along the lines of, if a couple of the inside perimeter slots were to become outside the perimeter slots they would revert to AS. Seem like a creative way to get revenue for an asset, possible more that flying, and being able to get it back if conditions change.

fastmover

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:32 am

jfklganyc wrote:

If that still holds true, B6 not only lost out on bidding for slots, but will actually have to cut 2 roundtrips to LGA.

Were they being leased to jetblue?

OKCDCA

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:33 am

airliner371 wrote:
FSDan wrote:

It sure would be nice to see WN add OKC-DCA. They promised it to the city a few years ago and it never came to fruition. Also it'd be nice to see them try a new city from DCA and not just add capacity to an existing destination from DCA.

DeltaRules

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:43 am

airliner371 wrote:

WN last summer said they'd consider LGA-CMH if they had the slots: http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170602/s ... years-here

With how big they are there, I can't see why not.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

tphuang

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:01 am

fastmover wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Were they being leased to jetblue?

Will find out soon enough. If that's the case, this is huge epic misstep. I'm still shaking my head of how bad they blew this one.

iyerhari

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:15 am

Wouldn't DL benefit to buy back some of the DCA slots? They would need to come back with the DL shuttle from BOS-DCA? Wasn't that part of the DL and LUS slot deal?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos