Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airliner371

Re: WN leases slots from AS at LGA/DCA

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:56 pm

tphuang wrote:
airliner371 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
B6 is actually doing pretty well in dca. Even if they weren’t interested in dca slots, they could have still bid higher for lga slots.

Wn is still irrelevant in nyc with more lga slots. B6 actually had a lot to gain here, which is why this is baffling to me.

Perhaps WN is irrelevant in NYC. Or they're the largest small player NYC has...

STT757 wrote:
My guess: MSY 1, MCO 2, FLL 2, TPA 1

They already do TPA 2x daily.

Thinking MSY, CMH, IND, OMA, FLL & MCO all have good chances at LGA service. The DCA slots are interesting... looking forward to see what they do there.

They are definitely irrelevant. So they would need to launch routes to places where they have strong point of sale.

their yields on ewr fll and mco are disastrous.

I added to this... At the end of the day, WN is focused on getting people across their network TO NYC, not too focused on NYC based travel. But they do it with about 58 flights a day, not including ISP, not too shabby considering only a decade ago did they serve NYC but solely through ISP.

SANFan

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:30 pm

I have a question about gate usage at DAL. According to my figures, this summer AS will have 20 departures from Love Field; 2 gates means 10 daily departures per gate. In October, 7 of those departures (DCA and LGA) will end and result in AS having 13 daily departures from DAL.

Does AS have to have a minimum number of departures to 'keep' those 2 gates? Or is it a matter of having enough flights so no one else has access to either of those gates? Can AS just run about, say, 14 daily flights from DAL and continue to have complete usage of those 2 gates?

As I said in an earlier post up-thread, I really don't think AS would have any trouble replacing those 7 east coast departures with 7 new departures to the west coast. I could see a 2nd r/t to SAN, a new r/t to SNA, a new r/t to SMF, 1 new r/t to OAK, BUR and STS, and another r/t to one of the major w/c cities already served. But I'd like to know if they HAVE to add 7 new departures to replace the 7 axed ones, or can they add fewer?

bb

bluefltspecial

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:59 pm

WWads wrote:
stlgph wrote:
Southwest flying to Cincinnati from LaGuardia would be a lot of fun :)

Eh I'm not so sure. AA is close to dropping that route (down from 3x E175s to 2x ERJ140s), and F9 seems to be filling the need for a LCC on that route quite well.

... and there's always DL with their x6 a day CR9s
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

gmcc

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:16 pm

SANFan wrote:
As I said in an earlier post up-thread, I really don't think AS would have any trouble replacing those 7 east coast departures with 7 new departures to the west coast. I could see a 2nd r/t to SAN, a new r/t to SNA, a new r/t to SMF, 1 new r/t to OAK, BUR and STS, and another r/t to one of the major w/c cities already served. But I'd like to know if they HAVE to add 7 new departures to replace the 7 axed ones, or can they add fewer?

I think it might also depend on the type of aircraft AS decides to use at DAL. From the experience of watching AS work at SNA, it looks to me like they block the same time to turn a 737-800 as an E175 so even if the E175 comes in past the boarding time on the app it still gets out on time. Could AS maybe get more that 10 departs a day by trimming the turn times for the E175s?

OzarkD9S

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:20 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:

I would like to see WN add 2x FLL at a minimum

After reading this thread for a while, I would be MOST surprised if most of these slots DIDN'T end up at FLL, with the international gateway they want to build there.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

tphuang

Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:17 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:

After reading this thread for a while, I would be MOST surprised if most of these slots DIDN'T end up at FLL, with the international gateway they want to build there.

Have you seen their yield at EWR-ELL. Terrible. If they run a business of purely loosing money, go ahead. And who in NYC is going to fly to Caribbean with WN via FLL?

unmlobo

Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:11 am

SANFan wrote:
I have a question about gate usage at DAL. According to my figures, this summer AS will have 20 departures from Love Field; 2 gates means 10 daily departures per gate. In October, 7 of those departures (DCA and LGA) will end and result in AS having 13 daily departures from DAL.

Does AS have to have a minimum number of departures to 'keep' those 2 gates? Or is it a matter of having enough flights so no one else has access to either of those gates? Can AS just run about, say, 14 daily flights from DAL and continue to have complete usage of those 2 gates?

bb

It appears according to schedules and flights for sale on alaskaair.com that the additional PDX and SJC departures from DAL no longer begin in July but are pushed back to the end of October when the end of the LGA and DCA flights occur, so AS will only have 18 departures during the summer from DAL.

As to how many departures they need to "keep" those gates, that will be a question for the courts to decide when they take back up the case in 2019 I would think.
Went to school in ABQ, former airline employee. Now living in Dallas

dc10lover

Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:25 am

Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

EA CO AS

Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:05 am

unmlobo wrote:
AS will only have 18 departures during the summer from DAL.

AS tries for 9-10 turns per day, per gate, so it's consistent with the systemwide top-end.

unmlobo wrote:
As to how many departures they need to "keep" those gates, that will be a question for the courts to decide.

Or not.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

yellowtail

Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:13 am

tphuang wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:

Have you seen their yield at EWR-ELL. Terrible. If they run a business of purely loosing money, go ahead. And who in NYC is going to fly to Caribbean with WN via FLL?

Same folks that currently fly it via MIA with AA or ATL. With DL. VFR that want two free bags and most of those folks live in queens and Brooklyn that prefer LGA
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

WN732

Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:26 am

yellowtail wrote:
tphuang wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

Same folks that currently fly it via MIA with AA or ATL. With DL. VFR that want two free bags and most of those folks live in queens and Brooklyn that prefer LGA

It would seem that some posters forget that some people just like WN. As you stated, they get two free bags, and if they need to make changes to their trip, no added fees. Yes NYC has bigger players, but there's still some that will go on WN. NYC is still rather new for them anyways. New Yorkers like what they like and are sometimes slow to try other things. They've been there for less than 1/4 of the airline's existence (same thing goes for ATL). You can't grow in a market if you don't broaden your options.

SANFan

Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:52 am

unmlobo wrote:
[It appears according to schedules and flights for sale on alaskaair.com that the additional PDX and SJC departures from DAL no longer begin in July but are pushed back to the end of October when the end of the LGA and DCA flights occur, so AS will only have 18 departures during the summer from DAL.

As to how many departures they need to "keep" those gates, that will be a question for the courts to decide when they take back up the case in 2019 I would think.

Oh for crying out loud, this whole DAL-thing is changing every other week. I give up -- wake me up on August 15 and I'll start paying attention!

It appears that AS maybe decided that 10 flts/gate/day was a bit much, in DAL anyway; they can fit, but too many wx and mx issues and the delays really screwed things up?

bb

FA9295

Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:25 am

dc10lover wrote:

Why the heck does that article even mention Anchorage (ANC)...?!

tphuang

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:53 am

WN732 wrote:
yellowtail wrote:
tphuang wrote:

It would seem that some posters forget that some people just like WN. As you stated, they get two free bags, and if they need to make changes to their trip, no added fees. Yes NYC has bigger players, but there's still some that will go on WN. NYC is still rather new for them anyways. New Yorkers like what they like and are sometimes slow to try other things. They've been there for less than 1/4 of the airline's existence (same thing goes for ATL). You can't grow in a market if you don't broaden your options.

They can do whatever they want, but using all the slots on fll is a pretty bad idea imo. I don’t think people here have seen the numbers on ewr fll to see what a financial disaster it is. It seems to me there are many places in middle of America where wn is strong that they would do well out of lga.

jfklganyc

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:06 am

A second (better timed) MCI has to be on table before jumping into LGA-Florida I would think.

Yields and loads are better.

Can never get on that flight

Balloonchaser

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:32 am

Anyone else seeing that KDCA-KISP Route that they are totally gonna do?

evank516

Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:30 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
A second (better timed) MCI has to be on table before jumping into LGA-Florida I would think.

Yields and loads are better.

Can never get on that flight

I'm with you on this one. The amount of times I've flown WN's LGA-MCI flight is beyond my count and the flight is horribly timed with the exception of last spring. That afternoon departure causes hefty delays too. Always packed, always.

vadodara

Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:45 pm

SANFan wrote:
unmlobo wrote:
[It appears according to schedules and flights for sale on alaskaair.com that the additional PDX and SJC departures from DAL no longer begin in July but are pushed back to the end of October when the end of the LGA and DCA flights occur, so AS will only have 18 departures during the summer from DAL.

Oh for crying out loud, this whole DAL-thing is changing every other week. I give up -- wake me up on August 15 and I'll start paying attention!

It appears that AS maybe decided that 10 flts/gate/day was a bit much, in DAL anyway; they can fit, but too many wx and mx issues and the delays really screwed things up?

bb

The LGA/DCA thing may have been too much of a distraction for AS. With that out of the way, DAL may be a great spoke for all the W. Coast focus cities that are being developed. Besides SFO/LAS/SEA, likes of PDX/SJC/SAN can handle multi flights per day.

Not to mention seasonal/weekend Alaska/Hawaii perhaps with a A321 or 737 MAX.

enilria

Sun May 06, 2018 2:04 pm

phxsanslcpdx wrote:
enilria wrote:
...It may be a little disingenuous of AS to say this was approved by regulators. Here's why. The structure of a 10 year lease is peculiar. I can only really think of one reason to do it, DOT/FAA have not reviewed slot leases. If you look back they have never required any kind of offering to smaller carriers as a result of a slot lease. That tells me that the deal is structured to avoid regulator oversight.

It's also interesting they leased to WN. I doubt they would be high bidder. Much more likely AA or B6 would be and since it is a lease there's really no reason AA couldnt have bid without regulatory fear.

The settlement in US v AAG & Virgin America Inc requires DOJ review, even of leases, and prohibits Alaska from letting AA get their hands on these slots. "Defendants shall not directly or indirectly sell, trade, lease, or sub-lease any of the US/AA Divestiture Assets without the prior written consent of the United States. Defendants shall not directly or indirectly transfer any interest in the US/AA Divestiture Assets to American or permit American to use the US/AA Divestiture Assets" (https://www.justice.gov/atr/case-docume ... 1/download). And the US/AA Divestiture Assets are defined as the DCA & LGA slots, and the DAL gates.

So no, AA couldn't have gotten these. And Alaska's statement that this was approved by regulators presumably means that they got the required "prior written consent."

OK, good catch, but B6 could have escaped review and I would think the slots are valuable to them than WN.

usxguy

Sun May 06, 2018 3:26 pm

WWads wrote:
So this basically confirms that AS bought VX to kill it. To prevent B6 from making the acquisition and actually using the merger to improve its network.

Nice one regulators.

Lest you forget how much VX has lost in the past couple of years, tied in with the "quiet" admissions by VXers who said the DAL flights were always light.

AS then reduced losses by moving some flights to cheaper E175 equipment while experimenting with increaaing yields, which didn't happen.

Alaska is *NOT* like Allegiant or Frontier who will drop a market tomorrow if it doesn't work.
xx

N383SW

Sun May 06, 2018 4:29 pm

usxguy wrote:
WWads wrote:
So this basically confirms that AS bought VX to kill it. To prevent B6 from making the acquisition and actually using the merger to improve its network.

Nice one regulators.

Lest you forget how much VX has lost in the past couple of years, tied in with the "quiet" admissions by VXers who said the DAL flights were always light.

AS then reduced losses by moving some flights to cheaper E175 equipment while experimenting with increaaing yields, which didn't happen.

Alaska is *NOT* like Allegiant or Frontier who will drop a market tomorrow if it doesn't work.

So after they cut LGA and DCA, how many daily flights will they have at DAL? I’ve tried but lost count. Will it be enough to have 2 gates especially with most of the flights being the E75?

orangeguy

Sun May 06, 2018 5:04 pm

So will AS lose a gate at DCA? I'd imagine WN will need the additional gate in order to utilize the additional slots.

WWads

Sun May 06, 2018 11:55 pm

orangeguy wrote:
So will AS lose a gate at DCA? I'd imagine WN will need the additional gate in order to utilize the additional slots.

DCA isn't as much about gates, it's about slots. Terminal A actually has some extra gate space, and WN won't want to split its ops between two different terminals.

I will say that it would make sense for AC to move to Terminal B, if AS decides to move to the other B tier. Consolidating with UA would probably be a good idea for IRROPS and might cut down on staffing needs.

orangeguy

Mon May 07, 2018 1:57 am

WWads wrote:
orangeguy wrote:

DCA isn't as much about gates, it's about slots. Terminal A actually has some extra gate space, and WN won't want to split its ops between two different terminals.

I will say that it would make sense for AC to move to Terminal B, if AS decides to move to the other B tier. Consolidating with UA would probably be a good idea for IRROPS and might cut down on staffing needs.

The gate area of Terminal A feels very crowded, so I could imagine AC wanting to move to move over to B, but I'm not sure there is enough space. It seems more likely that Frontier would move.

KMCOFlyer

Mon May 07, 2018 3:03 am

orangeguy wrote:
WWads wrote:
orangeguy wrote:

The gate area of Terminal A feels very crowded, so I could imagine AC wanting to move to move over to B, but I'm not sure there is enough space. It seems more likely that Frontier would move.

Terminal A in general is a crappy terminal and it’s 1960’s design will always make it feel crowded. As far as gates, for WNs expansion, no one needs to move from A as I believe Gate 1 is empty from SYs exit. I’m not sure how many flights AC has from DCA but AS is only giving up 4 flights a day and probably still needs access to 2 gates. AC currently has a gate all to themselves and I doubt they want to move to share with AS and UA. I also don’t see any reason F9 wants to move over to Terminal B either as they also have a gate to themselves with only 3 daily flights.

Noreastshuttle

Mon May 07, 2018 3:53 pm

airliner371 wrote:
MSY is an obvious add for WN at LGA, probably IND and CMH too, perhaps OMA or BWI.

At DCA, increased frequencies, perhaps IND. ISP would be a cool add, though I know it's crazy. Would solidify WN's presence at ISP and show their commitment to the NYC area.

I think we could see some adjusting at EWR too. More west coast. SMF, SJC, LAX (area), LAS, SAT, SJU, CUN and PDX all seem like reasonable possibilities for WN EVENTUALLY out of EWR, considering they have a strong within-perimeter network at LGA. These west coast flights would be focused at getting west coast passengers to NYC, less so the other way around...

I really hope they bring back LGA-BWI. Even just 2 or 1 for personal reason LOL. AA does 1 BWI - JFK purely for connection to their network out of JFK, Maybe WN can do the same out of LGA for their BWI network, which is their 2nd Largest operation is the system. I believe they are only approx 30 flights away from taking the top spot from Chicago.
BOS-WASH Megalopolis

wnflyguy

Mon May 07, 2018 4:44 pm

The 4 DCA Slot times are spread out quite a bit. So WN current gate situation has enough openings throughout the day to add these flights. As for LGA sounds like AA will swap it's only gate on the WN concourse for the VX gate.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

ScottB

Mon May 07, 2018 5:10 pm

KMCOFlyer wrote:
AC currently has a gate all to themselves and I doubt they want to move to share with AS and UA.

One small advantage to a move would be lounge access for Plus members. B is also a heck of a lot nicer and far more convenient to the Metro station.

KMCOFlyer wrote:
AS is only giving up 4 flights a day and probably still needs access to 2 gates.

Two gates for a grand total of five daily flights seems excessive at an airport where gate space is not exactly plentiful.

avi8

Mon May 07, 2018 5:21 pm

What if WN decided to launch 6 daily BOS-LGA, just like B6 did? Now that would be interesting. Probably not happening and it would be suicidal but still.
avi8

SANFan

Mon May 07, 2018 9:15 pm

usxguy wrote:

Unfortunately, I can't agree with your last statement, and neither would Andrew Harrison, a VP at AAG. He has said on more than 1 occasion that if a route doesn't perform, "it's gone." .

There have been a few instances lately to support his statement, such as SAN/SFO-MEX and SFO-MSP: SAN-MEX started on 11-1-17, with the last flight on the route on the 19th of this month - barely 6 months. SFO-MEX started 8-8-17 and will also end on 5-19-18 -- lasted ~10 months! SFO-MSP started on 7-18-17 and will end on May 19 as well -- lasted 10 months. (I'm only mentioning the true AS flights, none of the inherited VX routés that have been ended.) These flights were obviously not xld the next day but less than a year is pretty quick.

And I'm not saying there's necessarily anything wrong with this but I would argue that AAG does sometimes have a pretty quick trigger finger!

bb

airliner371

Mon May 07, 2018 9:43 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
The 4 DCA Slot times are spread out quite a bit. So WN current gate situation has enough openings throughout the day to add these flights. As for LGA sounds like AA will swap it's only gate on the WN concourse for the VX gate.

Flyguy

Except for the fact that the VX gate is now an AS gate in LaGuardia's Terminal A, that would have made sense. No change in gate status for WN at LGA, and B6 gets Terminal A all to itself.

INFINITI329

Mon May 07, 2018 10:00 pm

avi8 wrote:
What if WN decided to launch 6 daily BOS-LGA, just like B6 did? Now that would be interesting. Probably not happening and it would be suicidal but still.

Hell would have to freeze over...twice. 100 seat (b6) vs 143 seat (Wn) 6x a day not a chance

WWads

Tue May 08, 2018 12:47 am

Yeah I don't think WN is looking to get into fights with established NE carriers. I'd imagine that the LGA slots will be used on Midwestern cities, and maybe some further down the coast.

YellowJ

Tue May 08, 2018 2:44 am

usxguy wrote:
WWads wrote:

Nice one regulators.

I paid $41 for a one way fare on VX LGA-DAL 5 days in advance in late 2015. The plane was 50% empty. Pretty obvious they were bleeding money. AS tried to stem the flow by downgrading to E75's so kudos to them for attempting to make it work before throwing in the towel.

Block

Tue May 08, 2018 5:31 am

Maybe a BWI flight for connections

WNflyer1523

Wed May 09, 2018 9:54 pm

airliner371 wrote:

At DCA, increased frequencies, perhaps IND. ISP would be a cool add, though I know it's crazy. Would solidify WN's presence at ISP and show their commitment to the NYC area.

As nice as this would be, I don't think it will happen. I think that SW is done growing at ISP, and they're pretty content the way they are there. But, I'd love to be proved wrong!

airliner371

Wed May 09, 2018 10:35 pm

WNflyer1523 wrote:
airliner371 wrote:

As nice as this would be, I don't think it will happen. I think that SW is done growing at ISP, and they're pretty content the way they are there. But, I'd love to be proved wrong!

Indeed, that was more of an outside-the-box, fun idea.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos