Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

AirT85
Topic Author

TWA And The A-318

Wed Aug 25, 1999 1:13 am

I have heard from various sources that TWA was going to launch the A-318 in the USA for use out of STL. Does anybody have info on this? I think its a fatal decision. the plane is such a costly one and has no perfomance history. Also TWA is still in the red and doesnt need a problem plane on their hand. No one knows how well the A-318 will operate. I think that the 737 would be a good choice for TWA. Southwest has alot of luck flying the airplane out of STL and i think TWA should fly some to replace older DC-9s.
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

stlbham

RE: TWA And The A-318

Wed Aug 25, 1999 3:56 am

Probably the quickest solution to the aging DC-9s are they 50 or so 717s they have on order and are going to be delivered starting next year. I think they also have an option for more if the planes if they are a sucess. Yes they also have the airbuses on order but i think the 717s will be what makes or brakes the airline.

Regards

Brian

SQ1

Wed Aug 25, 1999 5:12 am

I agree that taking on the untested A318 in TWA's current shape may be dangerous. I'm guessing they probably got an unbeatable offer from Airbus that is too hard to resist.

In any case, I think TWA is betting on both sides to solve the headache of replacing the vast fleet of DC9's and MD80's. Like Stlbham pointed out, they have the 717's to tie them over for the short term. There is a risk there too as it is still possible that Boeing will cut the program.

On the other hand, I think they are really aiming for a common Airbus fleet since they have ordered 10 A330's earlier. So if things work out with the A318 and A330, I bet they will switch over to Airbus big time.

If they survive, that is!

P.S: make no mistake, I'm a fan of TWA and I truly wish this storied airline will reach vee-1 soon.

twa747100

NOP...NOPE...NOPE

Wed Aug 25, 1999 8:22 am

OK first off
the a318 dose not get here till 2003 and by then the airline will either be huge or dead. If you have read my other topic. Twa is making a live or die move. Compton is doin a very difficult thing here, if his little plane dosnt work bye bye twa! if it dose HELLO TWA. And the 717s are commin soon!
Matt

Ciro

Thu Aug 26, 1999 1:59 am

TWA has a history of deadly moves. I will stick with the probabilities and say that the A-318 is not the most ideal plane, because the airline may be dead by 2003.

Tchau
The fastest way to become a millionaire in the airline business is to start as a billionaire.

ducker

Thu Aug 26, 1999 4:18 am

The 318 is a good move in my opinion, for the following:
1) The price was exceptional on the 38 they ordered (the other 12 will ge on lease from ILFC), and the flexibility to go long or short range as demands dictate. Boeing apparently didn't offer generous enough terms for TWA to order 717's and 737's.
2) The plane with the PW6000's (far fewer part count)will be very economical to operate on short or long stages.
3) It is a statement to the travelling public and industry that TWA is making a commitment to the future. Finally, TWA is saying that you need to spend money to make money, and the 318/319/320 will be money makers for TWA.
Ralph

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos