BravoOne

Re: Flying 2000 miles over open water in twins powered by CFM56-7

Tue May 15, 2018 10:01 am

ETOPS applies for Part 121 operators anytime you are operating over a route that contains a point farther than 60 minutes flying time from an adequate airport under standard conditions in still air. The FAA defines an adequate airport in Part 121 & 121.7. So yes be it land o water the rules apply regardless.

Worth noting that this does not apply to Tris, Quads or Freighters.

c933103

Tue May 15, 2018 10:10 am

BravoOne wrote:
ETOPS applies for Part 121 operators anytime you are operating over a route that contains a point farther than 60 minutes flying time from an adequate airport under standard conditions in still air. The FAA defines an adequate airport in Part 121 & 121.7. So yes be it land o water the rules apply regardless.

I thought they now applies to tri/quad when they are 180 mins away from adequate airport under singl engine out situation
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

BravoOne

Tue May 15, 2018 10:30 am

c933103 wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

I thought they now applies to tri/quad when they are 180 mins away from adequate airport under singl engine out situation

You are correct but 180+ is an whole new ballgame and the 737, 757, 767 are not players. I should have been more explicit.:) The most common ETOPS extension is a 207 minute rule for Asia to the US West coast.

mjoelnir

Tue May 15, 2018 12:23 pm

IMO actually the only current problem with flying an aircraft powered by CFM56-7 2000 miles over open water is, when the CFM56-7 are rather old and do not have had a recent fan blade inspection. I am rather astonished that those problems have not lead to ETOPS restrictions for those engines.

BravoOne

Tue May 15, 2018 12:29 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
IMO actually the only current problem with flying an aircraft powered by CFM56-7 2000 miles over open water is, when the CFM56-7 are rather old and do not have had a recent fan blade inspection. I am rather astonished that those problems have not lead to ETOPS restrictions for those engines.

How do you know what has, or hasn't been done regarding these issues??

mjoelnir

Tue May 15, 2018 2:23 pm

BravoOne wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

There have been two uncontained engine failure due to failing fan blades of high cycle/hours CFM56-7. After the first failure the airlines were protesting a fast inspection of those fan blades. SW for example would not accept a 18 month target for those inspections. After the second failure, their seem to be now an accelerated inspection regime in place. I have neither read about when those inspections should be finished, nor about an ETOPS restriction by the FAA on frames having one or two of those engines.

If you have better information, please tell me, in the absence of some information I would regard flying ETOPS on a frame having CFM56-7 as not confidence inspiring.

BravoOne

Tue May 15, 2018 3:21 pm

Based on your answer ..you don't know other than what you find on the Net? hanks for sharing:)

flyingclrs727

Tue May 15, 2018 3:21 pm

BravoOne wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

The only ETOPS rated 737's WN has are 737-800's which are much newer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos