Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

AirT85
Topic Author

Caledonian Back?

Wed Aug 25, 1999 1:18 am

Hi. i have seen pictures of Caledonian DC-10s and L-1011s. Is Caledonian back in the scheduled market or just flying charters? I know they dont have "British" infront of Caledonian but is that who they are?
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

Panman

RE: Caledonian Back?

Wed Aug 25, 1999 4:37 am

Ever since BA bought BCal it's been doing charter only operations. So in reply to your question yes it is basically the same airline but they only do charter (well scheduled charter).

cedarjet

Wed Aug 25, 1999 7:00 am

Actually the entire British Caledonian fleet and operation (all of which was scheduled services since BCal sold THEIR charter division to The Rank Organisation which renamed it Novair) was incorporated into British Airways, and BA took advantage of the chance to deflect blame for it's own appalling British Airtours, which became Caledonian. As I have said before, not only did it mean that BA could pretend to have nothing to do with it's charter subsidiary, but it could also trash another fine airline's reputation. I'm sure ex-BCal staff felt like weeping every time they saw the "Caledonian" TriStars carrying the lion logo, filled with late and pissed-off holidaymakers cursing what was once their pride and joy. As for now, Robert Ayling finally flogged it to tour operator and biggest customer Inspirations, who will probably (if not already) rebrand the airline to fit their own corporate image.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Granite

Wed Aug 25, 1999 6:13 pm

Hi Cedarjet

I think they were re-named CalAir before Novair.

I have a few shots at Glasgow of CalAir DC10's, the livery being the red sash over the body.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Gary Watt

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

cedarjet

Thu Aug 26, 1999 3:04 am

You're right, Granite. All Rank did when they changed the name to Novair was keep the livery exactly as in your photo and put Novair in the same typeface where the Calair name was, and replace the lion with a stupid star thing. I flew on Novair as a kiddie and they were still selling Wooster models onbaord in Calair colours (I still have it).
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Thu Aug 26, 1999 3:24 pm

Thank's Cedarjet!! As a member of the British Caledonian family that is EXACTLY how it felt!! Your reply was the best description of what happened i have ever read!!  

Cheers and long live B.Cal!!

"Let's Go British Caledonian - We Never Forget You Have a Choice"

Fri Aug 27, 1999 2:46 pm

In May 88 when BCal was bought out by British Airways....British Airtours, BA's holiday air carrier was renamed Caledonian. It is not hte original British Caledonian. BCal's assets were transfered to BA which is how BA got DC-10's. And the L1011's you see in Caledonian colors used to fly under British Airtours colors

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos