Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirKevin

Re: N772SW on way to WA

Tue May 01, 2018 5:33 pm

jeffrey0032j wrote:
trnswrld wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
What are you talking about? The DL MD-88 "wasn't worth fixing"? They repaired it and put it back into service in 1996, as it was only 8 years old at the time.

What are YOU talking about? The Delta jet that we’re all talking about was pretty mangled up there in LGA.

I was the one who first brought up the DL MD 88 in this thread, and I wasn't referring to the LGA one. I was referring to N927DA, which had an uncontained engine failure that killed 2 back in 1996. This plane is still flying around as N927DA.

The original question was:
727LOVER wrote:
By the way, can someone explain this:
Plane crashes through wall, hits car, gets put back in service. Meanwhile, didn't the LGA plane just have a gear collapse...and it was a write-off?

Though I guess to me, it wasn't clear whether the question was about the Delta MD-88 or the Southwest 737-700 at LaGuardia.
Captain Kevin

gzm

Tue May 01, 2018 5:37 pm

Brick wrote:
twaconnie wrote:
Lost one life in 47 years is quite an impressive record. Are there any other airlines that can even come close to that? and fly as many flights and carry as many pax.

The last passenger fatality on Qantas occurred 66 years ago in 1952.

It is very very nice to know that but what does it really mean? Some Qantas passengers may lose their lives a short while before traveling or some time after they have reached (safely) their destination. They just don't die on those airplanes... However reassuring it might be to know about their safety record, what does it really mean?

catiii

Tue May 01, 2018 5:38 pm

727LOVER wrote:
catiii wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

I'm assuming this plane will be re-registered.

Would you guys fly on this plane?. Would you sit in the same seat?

If someone died of a heart attack in that seat, would you sit in it?

I would.

Show me a news story that would tell you what seat the heart attack victim would be in. How would you know? Is the F/A going to say "I'll bring you a free martini, the last guy in that seat croaked."

By the way,
If someone died of a heart attack in that seat, would you sit in it? I would.

What is the relevance of that post? Heart-attack (could happen anywhere) and getting sucked out of an airplane are quite different.

The relevance is that regardless of how the person died, the fact that they died in that seat or on that plane, wouldn't give me a seconds worth of pause.

What specifically would you find objectionable about sitting in that seat or flying on that plane? That someone died in it? Or the manner in which they died?

flybynight

Tue May 01, 2018 5:41 pm

Wasn't there some damage to the wing as well? I thought I saw pictures of a couple of punctures, but I could be wrong. Seems like going to the Seattle-area would be about the furthest away option for proper repairs (within the US that is).

I think it is best to re-register the plane. It is out respect to the person who died on the plane as well as making future passengers feel a little more at ease. Sure 98% of future passengers would never know. But then there are people like me who look up the registration of the planes I fly on (primarily to see when they were built) Of course looking up the new registration would most likely link it back to the old registration.
As for repairing the plane -it is just like a car in that sense. If the cost of repair exceeds x-value of the plane it would be on its way to Victorville! If not, repair and put it back. Now, SWA could of course sell the repaired plane if they wanted to be disassociated with the frame.

Interesting that repairs are done in Everett over Renton, where the 737 was assembled. I guess there is no room for a "repair shop" in Renton. It is very thight on room down there.
Heia Norge!

jeffrey0032j

Tue May 01, 2018 5:45 pm

AirKevin wrote:
jeffrey0032j wrote:
trnswrld wrote:

What are YOU talking about? The Delta jet that we’re all talking about was pretty mangled up there in LGA.

I was the one who first brought up the DL MD 88 in this thread, and I wasn't referring to the LGA one. I was referring to N927DA, which had an uncontained engine failure that killed 2 back in 1996. This plane is still flying around as N927DA.

The original question was:
727LOVER wrote:
By the way, can someone explain this:
Plane crashes through wall, hits car, gets put back in service. Meanwhile, didn't the LGA plane just have a gear collapse...and it was a write-off?

Though I guess to me, it wasn't clear whether the question was about the Delta MD-88 or the Southwest 737-700 at LaGuardia.

That post came after my original post.

jeffrey0032j

Tue May 01, 2018 5:48 pm

flybynight wrote:
Wasn't there some damage to the wing as well? I thought I saw pictures of a couple of punctures, but I could be wrong. Seems like going to the Seattle-area would be about the furthest away option for proper repairs (within the US that is).

I think it is best to re-register the plane. It is out respect to the person who died on the plane as well as making future passengers feel a little more at ease. Sure 98% of future passengers would never know. But then there are people like me who look up the registration of the planes I fly on (primarily to see when they were built) Of course looking up the new registration would most likely link it back to the old registration.
As for repairing the plane -it is just like a car in that sense. If the cost of repair exceeds x-value of the plane it would be on its way to Victorville! If not, repair and put it back. Now, SWA could of course sell the repaired plane if they wanted to be disassociated with the frame.

Interesting that repairs are done in Everett over Renton, where the 737 was assembled. I guess there is no room for a "repair shop" in Renton. It is very thight on room down there.

It is done in PAE because the MRO doing the repairs (ATS) is based in PAE. Boeing doesn't usually handle repairs.

Southwest is no stranger to PAE, heck, even Jetblue sends their brand new Airbuses to PAE prior to EIS.

justplanesmart

Wed May 02, 2018 3:20 am

No "Pending Number Change" shown at this time on the FAA registry for this aircraft.
"So many planes; so little time..."

gunsontheroof

Wed May 02, 2018 7:11 am

flybynight wrote:

Boeing isn't doing the work. WN has tons of heavy maintenance done by Aviation Technical Services at PAE with enough planes on the ground there at a given time that I kind of wonder if ATS actually has any non-WN business. There definitely isn't room at RNT for that kind of op.

On another note, the talk in this thread about the "would you fly on this aircraft?" is absurd. We have battlefields in this country (and elsewhere) where tens of thousands died that people pay money to visit every day. Cut it out with the sanctimonious nonesense.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

skipness1E

Wed May 02, 2018 10:36 am

Delta don't re-register aircraft as a matter of policy, Southwest did re-register a 737 as it was involved in an accident.
In reality the only people who they would try to fool by doing this (us) are the people who would be able to check and know in under 10 secs. Joe Public would never know, not ever.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos