lhrsfosyd
Topic Author

Viability of LHR-KIX route

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:08 pm

It always baffles me that Osaka isn't connected to London with a direct service. Osaka currently has non stop flights to Paris, Amsterdam, Helsinki and Frankfurt which makes lack of London flights even more bizarre, especially in the era of new generation fuel efficient aircraft.

Why do you think it isn't served yet?

EvanWSFO

Re: Viability of LHR-KIX route

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:25 pm

It seems to be a destination where many airlines go to die. From North America, there have been so many starts and stops to KIX it's hard to count.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

mercure1

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:32 pm

Well both BA and JL have flown the route.

Like so many others, longhaul service from non Tokyo Japan airports is a tough thing to sustain for airlines.
mercure f-wtcc

zakuivcustom

Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:06 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sankei ... 001-a.html

Article was 2 years old (Japanese only, sorry), but it more or less described problem of KIX long haul - they can certainly fill the back of the plane, but premium demand is just not quite there, mainly due to the somewhat depressed economy of the greater Kansai area. On the flip side, London flight is definitely way up on the wish list for KIX.

Doesn't help that the most likely carrier that would restart the route, JL, is just very conservative in terms of growth.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

yeogeo

Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:32 pm

Kansai airport is a bit like a secondary French airport: dominated by the two airports in Paris. Tokyo's airports overshadow all others for long-distance flights... and there is the great train service in both countries that can take you from the capital to nearly everywhere within the country rapidly comfortably.

jfk777

Tue May 01, 2018 1:04 am

The issue with Osaka to London is probably the lack of LHR slots. Osaka to London sounds like a great opportunity for Norwegian with its 787. Route probably not viable for the premium heavy BA or JAL 787 fleets. Japan has flights by Air Asia X and Scoot but they are still regional Asian flights, no LCC to the USA or Europe. A Viking to Osaka seems like the solution.

zakuivcustom

Tue May 01, 2018 1:27 am

yeogeo wrote:
Kansai airport is a bit like a secondary French airport: dominated by the two airports in Paris. Tokyo's airports overshadow all others for long-distance flights... and there is the great train service in both countries that can take you from the capital to nearly everywhere within the country rapidly comfortably.

KIX vs. HND/NRT actually resembled more MAN vs. LON IMO (If you combine ITM and KIX together, that is...). French airports resembled more of the situation in S. Korea, where ICN/GMP dominates like CDG/ORY, with the "secondary" cities having very minimal long-haul flights (if any).

One other problem for LHR-KIX is that LHR slots are just VERY hard to come by. Either an airline has to pay TONS of money, or they'll have to shift current slots from somewhere else. NH currently only has 1x/day LHR slots (to HND), so that pretty much rules them out. JL currently operate 2x daily HND-LHR, and it would be an awful business decision to shift, let say, 1 of those 2 flights to KIX, when it involved slots and two heavily slot restricted airport. This leaves BA, who currently operate (to Japan) 1x HND-LHR and 1x NRT-LHR. Between NRT and KIX, I would say NRT is still more profitable.

a19901213

Tue May 01, 2018 3:30 am

People in Kansai region are renowned for not paying premium for supeior products and this applies on air travel as well.

In the meantime Itami provides great connectivity to lots of destination around the world via HND (better time, cheaper ticket)

If a slot in LHR comes handy then I see the feasibility of this route unfortunately this is not the case.

aemoreira1981

Tue May 01, 2018 3:42 am

While not LHR, how does Finnair make routes to Osaka, Fukuoka (seasonal), and Nagoya work? KIX and NGO are daily, while FUK is 3x weekly seasonally. KIX and NGO typically see the higher-J A330s (with KIX seeing the A359 starting in a week). That said, I see the major issue being no slots at LHR; otherwise, a BA B788 could work.

flyingclrs727

Tue May 01, 2018 4:29 am

LHR needed a third runway 40 years ago.

VFRonTop

Tue May 01, 2018 5:49 am

It is precisely the fact that there is already service from KIX to AMS, FRA, CDG and HEL that a flight to LHR isn't feasible. To be clear, BA has plenty of slot capacity at LHR, what they lack is longhaul aircraft which they choose to operate other more profitable routes. As people have mentioned this is not a premium heavy route so BA is happy to route less profitable leisure/VFR passengers through HEL and Finnair.

Finnair have created a nice operation at HEL, they fly to more destination in Asia than any of the EU3 thanks to the beneficial location and short connection times at HEL airport.

c933103

Tue May 01, 2018 5:55 am

Maybe when AirAsiaX Japan become up and running which give Japan a low(er) cost long haul carrier then NGO and KIX could get more long haul flights
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

LAX772LR

Tue May 01, 2018 6:55 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
LHR needed a third runway 40 years ago.

Ironically, it had one.

...just not one that was of any help. :(
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

DobboDobbo

Tue May 01, 2018 7:28 am

VFRonTop wrote:
BA has plenty of slot capacity at LHR

Agreed. I'm pretty sure JAL used one of those formerly spare BA slots to operate a second daily NRT-LHR...

Ryanair01

Tue May 01, 2018 8:33 am

I think the problem for London is that by quirk of geography you can easily transfer through all the hubs you mention.

I flew ANA LHR-KIX on a 742 non stop, all be it 18 years ago now. I seem to remember JAL flew MD11s. Beyond Panasonic, there aren't many Osaka businesses trading in the UK and vica versa. KIX was always a good option for very very cheap connections to Australia, which suggests to me they struggled to fill their seats. I seem to recall ANA/JAL both pulled the route during the H5N1 outbreak in 2003. Since then I've always connected at NRT and flown into ITM. I have family who fly via ICN or occasionally AMS.

I think lack of business links, lack of feed (CDG, AMS etc all have feed for eastbound flights) and a host of connecting options means LON-OSA is unlikely. I'd like to see it though :D

PatrickZ80

Tue May 01, 2018 8:52 am

jfk777 wrote:
Japan has flights by Air Asia X and Scoot but they are still regional Asian flights, no LCC to the USA or Europe.

That's not entirely true, AirAsia X flies Osaka - Honolulu and I believe Scoot is also on that route or at least has plans for it.

Osaka is a place where LCCs perform better than legacy airlines due to the lack of premium demand. Norwegian could make it work from Gatwick, but their problem is the lack of Russian overflight rights. I believe AirAsia X and Scoot don't have them either.

skipness1E

Tue May 01, 2018 9:13 am

It's worth noting that we went from :

BA LHR-NRT
BA LHR-HND
JL LHR-HND
NH LHR-HND

......to another LHR-HND with JL on the 788.
LHR-OSA was dropped by both BA and latterly JAL a while back.

TC957

Tue May 01, 2018 9:26 am

There's a load of easy one-change options for LHR-KIX but a direct service should do well for cargo.

c933103

Tue May 01, 2018 10:43 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
jfk777 wrote:
Japan has flights by Air Asia X and Scoot but they are still regional Asian flights, no LCC to the USA or Europe.

That's not entirely true, AirAsia X flies Osaka - Honolulu and I believe Scoot is also on that route or at least has plans for it.

Osaka is a place where LCCs perform better than legacy airlines due to the lack of premium demand. Norwegian could make it work from Gatwick, but their problem is the lack of Russian overflight rights. I believe AirAsia X and Scoot don't have them either.

Unlike European countries, there are little reason for Russia to deny overfly right from carriers of Asian countries
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

zakuivcustom

Tue May 01, 2018 11:16 am

c933103 wrote:
Maybe when AirAsiaX Japan become up and running which give Japan a low(er) cost long haul carrier then NGO and KIX could get more long haul flights

More long-haul, yes, but I am doubtful they will go Europe first. HNL, SE Asia (SIN or Indonesia, since both are somewhat on the edge of narrowbody range), and West Coast US/Canada would comefirst way before Europe is even mention anyway.

It is more likely that Jetstar Japan will get some 787s first anyway :scratchchin:

Kikko19

Tue May 01, 2018 12:12 pm

VFRonTop wrote:
It is precisely the fact that there is already service from KIX to AMS, FRA, CDG and HEL that a flight to LHR isn't feasible. To be clear, BA has plenty of slot capacity at LHR, what they lack is longhaul aircraft which they choose to operate other more profitable routes. As people have mentioned this is not a premium heavy route so BA is happy to route less profitable leisure/VFR passengers through HEL and Finnair.

Finnair have created a nice operation at HEL, they fly to more destination in Asia than any of the EU3 thanks to the beneficial location and short connection times at HEL airport.

Watching this map you wonder why on earth Wow bosses even think about connecting flights to Asia... Sorry the OT

LX138

Tue May 01, 2018 3:36 pm

VFRonTop wrote:

Do LH not fly to more Asian destinations than that?
StarWorld Team - The ultimate airline alliance

Nami

Tue May 01, 2018 5:27 pm

LX138 wrote:
VFRonTop wrote:

Not sure, but what I can say is that the map is old; it’s missing Fukuoka, Guangzhou, Goa and Nanjing (which will start next week). AY is the biggest European carrier in Japan with 31 weekly flights this summer season.

zakuivcustom

Tue May 01, 2018 6:12 pm

LX138 wrote:
VFRonTop wrote:

LH has way more Indian destination (AY only fly to DEL; LH fly to DEL, BOM, MAA, BLR, and PNQ. They used to fly to CCU and HYD as well.), but is otherwise somewhat similar in terms of East Asia destinations. AY has that seasonal flight to FUK alongside NGO, KIX and TYO (LH fly to HND only, AY to NRT only). Then you got ICN, HKG, PVG, PEK, BKK, and SIN that both LH and AY fly to. AY fly to XIY and CKG (and a seasonal flight to CAN) while LH fly to NKG and TAO for their "secondary" China destination. LH also fly to ALA (Almaty) and ASB (Ashgabat, via GYD/Baku) along with TSE (Astana, AY is seasonal only) along with all those Middle East destinations that AY doesn't touch (i.e. the aforementioned GYD, EBL, DMM, RUH, etc.), while AY has seasonal Thailand sun destination like KBV and HKT or GOI in India.

LupineChemist

Tue May 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Also worth remembering that AY serves Japan as part of the AY/BA/IB/JL JV. So BA and JL already make money serving KIX

zakuivcustom

Fri May 04, 2018 1:57 pm

Bumping this thread up a little bit...

Although this was only noting the busiest international routes in the world, some of the connecting traffic flow are interesting:
https://www.oag.com/hubfs/Free_Reports/ ... 018-A4.pdf

Specifically, for LHR-AMS, KIX was #3 (behind ACC and LOS) in terms of connecting pax. To add along, on KIX-ICN, LHR connection is also a fair part of the traffic from ICN (Along with places like FCO and IST).

It's also funny how it match up with this (The ICN & AMS part):
Ryanair01 wrote:
I think the problem for London is that by quirk of geography you can easily transfer through all the hubs you mention.

I flew ANA LHR-KIX on a 742 non stop, all be it 18 years ago now. I seem to remember JAL flew MD11s. Beyond Panasonic, there aren't many Osaka businesses trading in the UK and vica versa. KIX was always a good option for very very cheap connections to Australia, which suggests to me they struggled to fill their seats. I seem to recall ANA/JAL both pulled the route during the H5N1 outbreak in 2003. Since then I've always connected at NRT and flown into ITM. I have family who fly via ICN or occasionally AMS.

I think lack of business links, lack of feed (CDG, AMS etc all have feed for eastbound flights) and a host of connecting options means LON-OSA is unlikely. I'd like to see it though :D

At the end, the demand is definitely there. Yield and slot, of course, is a whole different question.

c933103

Fri May 04, 2018 3:48 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:

Although this was only noting the busiest international routes in the world, some of the connecting traffic flow are interesting:

Specifically, for LHR-AMS, KIX was #3 (behind ACC and LOS) in terms of connecting pax. To add along, on KIX-ICN, LHR connection is also a fair part of the traffic from ICN (Along with places like FCO and IST).

Ryanair01 wrote:

At the end, the demand is definitely there. Yield and slot, of course, is a whole different question.

Given the potential yield, LGW would probably be a better option? But then how about aircraft?

zakuivcustom

Fri May 04, 2018 5:08 pm

c933103 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

Ryanair01 wrote:

Given the potential yield, LGW would probably be a better option? But then how about aircraft?

LHR is of course the preferred option :rotfl:

But as PatrickZ80 already mentioned, Norwegian UK LGW-KIX would work the best, assuming that they can get Russia overflight rights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos