Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dash9
Topic Author

Major growth planned at YUL

Tue May 01, 2018 8:05 pm

https://www.admtl.com/en/future

2.5B project to create a new terminal (so they'll demolish the small 'aeroquai' and runway 10/28', enhanced taxiways, new light rail station to downtown, new parking with green roof (looks like a park), and glass canopy to protect drop-off area.

YUL as seen important and sustained growth over the last few years. Many new destinations deeper in Europe, un the USA, 3 destinations added in Asia. Really becoming a nice hub. AC is milking the 6th freedom by funneling US travelers thru YUL.

Skywatcher

Re: Major growth planned at YUL

Tue May 01, 2018 8:19 pm

The LRT train to downtown should help a lot. It should have been built a decade ago. I hope there's a stop near the AC base and other hangars. The traffic poring out of that area at rush hour is awful.

Dash9
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2018 8:31 pm

unfortunately no other stop planned on the airport site beside the terminal. The next stop is just north on the airport
https://rem.info/en/rem.

The new combined terminal will be huge and I wonder how long it will take from the terminal entrance to the farthest gates. I feasible would it be to use the light-rail system as an airside people mover to the new terminal? Could they use dedicated trains? Or at least share the tunnel to be built under the tarmac in 2019?

SpaceshipDC10

Tue May 01, 2018 8:32 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
The LRT train to downtown should help a lot. It should have been built a decade ago. I hope there's a stop near the AC base and other hangars. The traffic poring out of that area at rush hour is awful.

Since the airport will be the end of a branch, from there, heading downtown, the next station planned is Technoparc, north of runway 24R/6L.

Click on the network map: https://rem.info/en/home

picarus

Tue May 01, 2018 11:02 pm

I'll be happy to see anything that improves the awful queues in the international arrivals hall between 4-6p. It's a terrible experience.

kavok

Tue May 01, 2018 11:10 pm

I thought for a long time that West Jet should build up a strong Montreal presence as their Eastern Canada Hub. It would be a good compliment to YYC, and good collection point for the pax in the Canadian Eastern and Atlantic time zones.

Factor in WS partnership with Delta and to a lesser extent Air France, and YUL could fit nicely into the SkyTeam network.

Thenoflyzone

Wed May 02, 2018 12:15 am

kavok wrote:
I thought for a long time that West Jet should build up a strong Montreal presence as their Eastern Canada Hub. It would be a good compliment to YYC, and good collection point for the pax in the Canadian Eastern and Atlantic time zones.

Factor in WS partnership with Delta and to a lesser extent Air France, and YUL could fit nicely into the SkyTeam network.

WS doesn't seem to agree with you. They are canceling YUL-BOS and reducing frequency on YUL-YQB. It's always 1 step forward, 2 steps back with WS in Quebec.

picarus wrote:
I'll be happy to see anything that improves the awful queues in the international arrivals hall between 4-6p. It's a terrible experience.

WIth the new PIK (primary inspection kiosks), as well as the temporary connection center that opened up, its no longer as bad as it was. It should be even smoother next year, when the new connection center opens up. 20% of YUL's traffic is connecting, so getting those guys out of the way will free up a lot of room at customs.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

tphuang

Wed May 02, 2018 12:23 am

kavok wrote:

I can't think of too many Albertan companies doing well in Quebec. Besides, there are already Air Transat and Air Canada there dominating the action. WestJet's eastern Canada hub is YYZ.

Dominion301

Wed May 02, 2018 12:44 am

kavok wrote:

Good luck with that given WS struggles to even offer French on flights to cities in Canada with large or majority francophone populations.

caribb

Wed May 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Was there any hint of a monorail set up to transfer passengers around between concourses? Anyone going from the furthest end of the new piers to the furthest end of the US pier will have a long tedious walk otherwise. I hear complaints now about a lack of electric carts and moving walkways and it’s less than half the distance those new gates will be to the current terminal.

Skywatcher

Wed May 02, 2018 2:35 pm

I would suggest that they prioritize the new parking lot (it pays for itself and the old one looks awful) and the new road access area/glass cover. The landside area is way too congested right now.

mats01776

Wed May 02, 2018 3:26 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
Since the airport will be the end of a branch, from there, heading downtown, the next station planned is Technoparc, north of runway 24R/6L.

I didn't realize the proposed rail connection was not to use the straightforward route using the main-line rail (mere 1Km away) form Dorval to Gare Lucien-L'Allier.
Rather, it appears to detour way up North to join the current Deux-Montagnes commuter line, adding significant time and distance to the travel to Downtown.

A head-scratching plan for this non-resident/frequent visitor to Montreal.

flyPIT

Wed May 02, 2018 3:56 pm

Kind of a useless thread without a pic.

FLYi

drgmobile

Wed May 02, 2018 4:12 pm

mats01776 wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:

I didn't realize the proposed rail connection was not to use the straightforward route using the main-line rail (mere 1Km away) form Dorval to Gare Lucien-L'Allier.
Rather, it appears to detour way up North to join the current Deux-Montagnes commuter line, adding significant time and distance to the travel to Downtown.

The existing rail lines are shared by passenger rail but are primarily freight. There has been years of work and discussion on the proposed route for a train downtown across three layers of government and with existing rail operators. It's not like nobody thought of this.

Skywatcher

Wed May 02, 2018 5:21 pm

The existing rail line just a bit south is simply too crowded already. It is part of the original CP Rail trans-Canada right of way that was expanded to include CN way back when. I take the commuter train along there all the time. There are commuter trains/VIA rail inter-city trains and above all freight trains using the 4 tracks all the time. No room for LRT trains every 20 minutes especially since CP already makes life difficult for the existing commuter trains that use their tracks. I've seen 200 car freight trains use the tracks at rush hour frequently. Of course the commuter trains have to wait while these mega freight trains take precedence at 20km/hr coming out of the St-Luc yards. It's brutal. Any LRT trains would simply allow CP to milk them/delay them also. New, owned tracks are the only way to go.

SuperTwin

Wed May 02, 2018 6:56 pm

flyPIT wrote:

Thank you! Finally, a visual.

Couldn’t even find a picture of this in any of the news articles I was looking through or google images for that matter.
SuperTwin

Dominion301

Wed May 02, 2018 8:00 pm

This announcement just goes to show that back in the 1970s, there was plenty of room to expand YUL without the need to ever build YMX. While a crosswind runway 45 years ago was much more important back then, surely 10/28 could have been relocated elsewhere at YUL.

1900Driver

Wed May 02, 2018 11:00 pm

flyPIT wrote:

Don’t like the horseshoe/ leg design. Not efficient & vulnerable to delay pushing back! Couldn’t they just create an infield terminal like Zurich where 10-28 is?

I have a hard time seeming how that is going to work. Aircraft in the trans order side departing 06R will have a long & complicated taxi route.

SpaceshipDC10

Wed May 02, 2018 11:27 pm

mats01776 wrote:

The main-line passing at Dorval is really crowded with both CN and CP freight trains, AMT commuters and VIA Rail, both stopping there. Although the LRT will make that detour, will it really take that much more time than if it had been added to rail-line you mentioned? Also isn't it conceived that way to better serve Montreal and its local population and not only the tourists?

brianK73

Wed May 02, 2018 11:47 pm

The new Y-shaped terminal concourse looks like a great improvement.
There may be a bottle-neck trying to get to the East side runway from the West side gate, and vice versa.
It should not be a problem provided they have a de-icing station on each side of the airport.

mats01776

Thu May 03, 2018 12:21 am

drgmobile wrote:
The existing rail lines are shared by passenger rail but are primarily freight. There has been years of work and discussion on the proposed route for a train downtown across three layers of government and with existing rail operators. It's not like nobody thought of this.

Skywatcher wrote:
The existing rail line just a bit south is simply too crowded already. It is part of the original CP Rail trans-Canada right of way that was expanded to include CN way back when. I take the commuter train along there all the time. There are commuter trains/VIA rail inter-city trains and above all freight trains using the 4 tracks all the time. No room for LRT trains every 20 minutes especially since CP already makes life difficult for the existing commuter trains that use their tracks. I've seen 200 car freight trains use the tracks at rush hour frequently. Of course the commuter trains have to wait while these mega freight trains take precedence at 20km/hr coming out of the St-Luc yards. It's brutal. Any LRT trains would simply allow CP to milk them/delay them also. New, owned tracks are the only way to go.

Thanks!
Makes perfect sense to avoid the over-subscribed main line for a new high-frequency service.
Now that you pointed out many potential problems with the main-line, I realized that an LRT EMU may not be allowed to share the tracks with heavy mainline trains for safety reasons. Come to think of it, the non electrified main-line is probably incompatible with the underground airport terminal as well.

YULspotter

Thu May 03, 2018 1:01 am

Check out the planned eco friendly parking garage complete with a green roof, a walkway and a seating area. Looks like it could be an ideal spotting location. ;)

YULspotter

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos