tonyban
Topic Author
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:55 am

British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 2:51 pm

I noted British Airways cancelled their daily BA279 service to San Jose,CA this past Monday, April 30th and today's service on Wednesday, May 2nd was also cancelled.
I hope this is not a indication that BA is doing poorly on this route, which is now in its second year.
I had posted in a previous thread that flights were coming and going with less then 50% load some on days. Is this route in jeopardy of being axed ?

Anyone know what's going on ?
 
SonaSounds
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 3:30 pm

Loads have been averaging in the low ~70% which is better than LH has been doing by about ~10%. They seem to be performing best out of all the long haul international carriers at SJC (along with ANA) so I would be surprised if they were at risk.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4123
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Have you looked at the current issues with the 787 fleet? BA has at least one 787 parked at LHR, u/s. That could well be your answer.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"
 
george77300
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 3:57 pm

dcajet wrote:
Have you looked at the current issues with the 787 fleet? BA has at least one 787 parked at LHR (London (Heathrow) - England), u/s. That could well be your answer.


They have two parked at LHR currently either without engines or with two broken ones. They have been swapping engines to keep maximium flying but two are stuck at LHR.
 
tonyban
Topic Author
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:55 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 4:15 pm

SonaSounds wrote:
Loads have been averaging in the low ~70% which is better than LH has been doing by about ~10%. They seem to be performing best out of all the long haul international carriers at SJC (along with ANA) so I would be surprised if they were at risk.


The Lufthansa flights are only averaging 10% load ? That is terrible. How can a route survive with loads like this ?
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6314
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 4:17 pm

tonyban wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:
Loads have been averaging in the low ~70% which is better than LH has been doing by about ~10%. They seem to be performing best out of all the long haul international carriers at SJC (along with ANA) so I would be surprised if they were at risk.


The Lufthansa flights are only averaging 10% load ? That is terrible. How can a route survive with loads like this ?


I think he meant that BA is doing better than LH by about 10%. That would put LH around 60%.

How are NH and HU doing at SJC?
 
believeinflight
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:34 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 4:18 pm

tonyban wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:
Loads have been averaging in the low ~70% which is better than LH has been doing by about ~10%. They seem to be performing best out of all the long haul international carriers at SJC (along with ANA) so I would be surprised if they were at risk.


The Lufthansa flights are only averaging 10% load ? That is terrible. How can a route survive with loads like this ?


No LH has average load 10% less than BA, or about 60%
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 5:16 pm

believeinflight wrote:
tonyban wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:
Loads have been averaging in the low ~70% which is better than LH has been doing by about ~10%. They seem to be performing best out of all the long haul international carriers at SJC (along with ANA) so I would be surprised if they were at risk.


The Lufthansa flights are only averaging 10% load ? That is terrible. How can a route survive with loads like this ?


No LH has average load 10% less than BA, or about 60%


LH could have dropped SJC-FRA after the winter suspension, or brought it back with lower frequency. They not only restored it, but with the same frequency. I’m sure the subsidy has run out, so I’d assume LH is happy with the route’s performance.

As for BA, I’d bet on the engine issues being the reason.
 
aviationjunky
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:27 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 5:22 pm

Could the low loads be because they have almost identical service with two airports within 50+/- miles of each other? Both SJC and SFO serve LHR year round, and SFO has better connectivity options, as far as more airline options for passengers to continue their travel with. SFO and SJC are pretty close to eachother, so to me, it seems to make sense to make one LHR and the other LGW. With OAK having seasonal LGW service, that adds another airport with service to the UK within 50 miles of each other. I personally think it's just an overkill situation, especially because UA and VS also offer service from SFO to LHR.
LAS is Life
 
lhrsfosyd
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 6:41 pm

SJC isn't what BA was hoping it to be and loads aren't great. BA is forced reduce 787 flying programme so the choice of SJC indicates that it is the poorest performing 787 route. Also, GDS doesn't display SJC as an alternative for San Francisco just like it does display Baltimore for Washington DC.
 
sw733
Posts: 5859
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:19 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 6:44 pm

tonyban wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:
Loads have been averaging in the low ~70% which is better than LH has been doing by about ~10%. They seem to be performing best out of all the long haul international carriers at SJC (along with ANA) so I would be surprised if they were at risk.


The Lufthansa flights are only averaging 10% load ? That is terrible. How can a route survive with loads like this ?


If LH had a 10% load, I would fly half way across the country to SJC to catch that flight. Think of the room to stretch out!
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6314
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 6:46 pm

aviationjunky wrote:
Could the low loads be because they have almost identical service with two airports within 50+/- miles of each other? Both SJC and SFO serve LHR year round, and SFO has better connectivity options, as far as more airline options for passengers to continue their travel with. SFO and SJC are pretty close to eachother, so to me, it seems to make sense to make one LHR and the other LGW. With OAK having seasonal LGW service, that adds another airport with service to the UK within 50 miles of each other. I personally think it's just an overkill situation, especially because UA and VS also offer service from SFO to LHR.


Actually they are more like 35 miles apart or slightly less. SJC is itself in the middle of a large affluent population base with numerous high tech businesses.

My guess is that a lot of people THINK they still need to go to SFO to fly internationally. People haven’t yet caught on to the fact that SJC itself has key international flights.
 
2Holer4Longhaul
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:03 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 6:47 pm

lhrsfosyd wrote:
SJC isn't what BA was hoping it to be and loads aren't great. BA is forced reduce 787 flying programme so the choice of SJC indicates that it is the poorest performing 787 route. Also, GDS doesn't display SJC as an alternative for San Francisco just like it does display Baltimore for Washington DC.

That's because, unlike OAK, SJC isn't supposed to be an airport for the city of SF. It's meant to cater to Silicon Valley pax who would otherwise drive to SFO. Hence, San Jose/Silicon Valley would trump San Jose/San Francisco.
That said, it's also got too much service from both the demand and facilities standpoint. A little healthy culling of flights would be good.
"You know, if you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything, wouldn't you, at any time? And you would achieve nothing!" - Margaret Thatcher
 
steex
Posts: 1428
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:45 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 8:15 pm

lhrsfosyd wrote:
SJC isn't what BA was hoping it to be and loads aren't great. BA is forced reduce 787 flying programme so the choice of SJC indicates that it is the poorest performing 787 route. Also, GDS doesn't display SJC as an alternative for San Francisco just like it does display Baltimore for Washington DC.


It's tough to say that because while it could mean SJC is the poorest performer, it's also true that SJC has the most readily available alternate route for displaced passengers. Even if a couple other 787 routes are performing similarly or a bit worse, a cancellation on LHR-MSY means pax connecting to MSY while a cancellation on LHR-SJC can mean pax (especially of higher value) are accommodated on nonstop LHR-SFO.
 
metaldirtnskin
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:42 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 8:33 pm

Was this *just* cancelled, or did it drop off the schedule some time ago? I'm curious because I have a ticket on LGW-OAK in about a month from now; I don't remember even seeing LHR-SJC as an option when I was booking it. (Maybe I should check the OAG thread again.)

Shame, too, because SJC has direct service to my home airport and OAK does not.
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 9:19 pm

aviationjunky wrote:
Could the low loads be because they have almost identical service with two airports within 50+/- miles of each other? Both SJC and SFO serve LHR year round, and SFO has better connectivity options, as far as more airline options for passengers to continue their travel with. SFO and SJC are pretty close to eachother, so to me, it seems to make sense to make one LHR and the other LGW. With OAK having seasonal LGW service, that adds another airport with service to the UK within 50 miles of each other. I personally think it's just an overkill situation, especially because UA and VS also offer service from SFO to LHR.


Do you live in the Bay Area? Have you ever driven on highway 101 from the South Bay to SFO to catch a flight? Try that before we decide to shut down SJC.
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 9:21 pm

metaldirtnskin wrote:
Was this *just* cancelled, or did it drop off the schedule some time ago? I'm curious because I have a ticket on LGW-OAK in about a month from now; I don't remember even seeing LHR-SJC as an option when I was booking it. (Maybe I should check the OAG thread again.)

Shame, too, because SJC has direct service to my home airport and OAK does not.


The route has not been suspended since it started. I don’t believe the frequency has changed, either.
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 9:22 pm

lhrsfosyd wrote:
SJC isn't what BA was hoping it to be and loads aren't great. BA is forced reduce 787 flying programme so the choice of SJC indicates that it is the poorest performing 787 route. Also, GDS doesn't display SJC as an alternative for San Francisco just like it does display Baltimore for Washington DC.


As for LF, someone reported it is in the 70% range.
 
aviationjunky
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:27 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 10:22 pm

AirFiero wrote:

Do you live in the Bay Area? Have you ever driven on highway 101 from the South Bay to SFO to catch a flight? Try that before we decide to shut down SJC.


Actually I don't live in the Bay Area, but I have driven on the 101 in the Bay Area many times. No where did I say to shut down SJC, I'm just saying it's LHR overkill. That could very much be the reason for such low yields from an identical flight from SJC or SFO.
LAS is Life
 
metaldirtnskin
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:42 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Wed May 02, 2018 11:18 pm

AirFiero wrote:
metaldirtnskin wrote:
Was this *just* cancelled, or did it drop off the schedule some time ago? I'm curious because I have a ticket on LGW-OAK in about a month from now; I don't remember even seeing LHR-SJC as an option when I was booking it. (Maybe I should check the OAG thread again.)

Shame, too, because SJC has direct service to my home airport and OAK does not.


The route has not been suspended since it started. I don’t believe the frequency has changed, either.


In that case my money is on the engine issue... I can't speak for anyone else but had it been available, I would have jumped at the SJC connection option.
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Thu May 03, 2018 12:25 am

aviationjunky wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

Do you live in the Bay Area? Have you ever driven on highway 101 from the South Bay to SFO to catch a flight? Try that before we decide to shut down SJC.


Actually I don't live in the Bay Area, but I have driven on the 101 in the Bay Area many times. No where did I say to shut down SJC, I'm just saying it's LHR overkill. That could very much be the reason for such low yields from an identical flight from SJC or SFO.


The traffic can be hell, and I’d really prefer not to literally drive past SJC to get to SFO through an hour or more of traffic. So as a resident of the Bay Area and someone who lives south of SJC, I’m really hoping for more choices at SJC.

If a region has more than one airport, there is probably a good reason.
 
tonyban
Topic Author
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:55 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Thu May 03, 2018 2:37 pm

sw733 wrote:
tonyban wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:
Loads have been averaging in the low ~70% which is better than LH has been doing by about ~10%. They seem to be performing best out of all the long haul international carriers at SJC (along with ANA) so I would be surprised if they were at risk.


The Lufthansa flights are only averaging 10% load ? That is terrible. How can a route survive with loads like this ?


If LH had a 10% load, I would fly half way across the country to SJC to catch that flight. Think of the room to stretch out!


DOH ! My bad !
 
tonyban
Topic Author
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:55 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Thu May 03, 2018 2:44 pm

AirFiero wrote:
aviationjunky wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

Do you live in the Bay Area? Have you ever driven on highway 101 from the South Bay to SFO to catch a flight? Try that before we decide to shut down SJC.


Actually I don't live in the Bay Area, but I have driven on the 101 in the Bay Area many times. No where did I say to shut down SJC, I'm just saying it's LHR overkill. That could very much be the reason for such low yields from an identical flight from SJC or SFO.


The traffic can be hell, and I’d really prefer not to literally drive past SJC to get to SFO through an hour or more of traffic. So as a resident of the Bay Area and someone who lives south of SJC, I’m really hoping for more choices at SJC.

If a region has more than one airport, there is probably a good reason.


I live in the Evergreen area of San Jose. There was a time that a drive to SFO would take 45 minutes and about 60+ minutes back. Now, its easily over an hour to get there and a minimum of 90 minutes to get home. Its absolute misery driving on 101 in either direction.
I'm not a business traveler but being an ex-pat Brit, I cross my fingers that BA keeps this SJC route for a long-term.

Thank you everyone for replying.
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Thu May 03, 2018 3:05 pm

AirFiero wrote:
aviationjunky wrote:
Could the low loads be because they have almost identical service with two airports within 50+/- miles of each other? Both SJC and SFO serve LHR year round, and SFO has better connectivity options, as far as more airline options for passengers to continue their travel with. SFO and SJC are pretty close to eachother, so to me, it seems to make sense to make one LHR and the other LGW. With OAK having seasonal LGW service, that adds another airport with service to the UK within 50 miles of each other. I personally think it's just an overkill situation, especially because UA and VS also offer service from SFO to LHR.


Do you live in the Bay Area? Have you ever driven on highway 101 from the South Bay to SFO to catch a flight? Try that before we decide to shut down SJC.


I've driven it, and yes it's bad. However I doubt airlines make decisions om frequency or route cuts based on traffic to the airport. It they did, I can name off a lot of cities where getting to the airport is a hassle.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
subramak1
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:21 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Thu May 03, 2018 3:18 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
aviationjunky wrote:
Could the low loads be because they have almost identical service with two airports within 50+/- miles of each other? Both SJC and SFO serve LHR year round, and SFO has better connectivity options, as far as more airline options for passengers to continue their travel with. SFO and SJC are pretty close to eachother, so to me, it seems to make sense to make one LHR and the other LGW. With OAK having seasonal LGW service, that adds another airport with service to the UK within 50 miles of each other. I personally think it's just an overkill situation, especially because UA and VS also offer service from SFO to LHR.


Do you live in the Bay Area? Have you ever driven on highway 101 from the South Bay to SFO to catch a flight? Try that before we decide to shut down SJC.


I've driven it, and yes it's bad. However I doubt airlines make decisions om frequency or route cuts based on traffic to the airport. It they did, I can name off a lot of cities where getting to the airport is a hassle.


I think the Airfiero is stating that people in Southern end of Bay area and some parts of east bay would rather prefer SJC than SFO. I agree totally. It is a pain getting to SFO from east Bay and it has gotten progressively worse

Subu
 
DAL763ER
Posts: 521
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Thu May 03, 2018 3:24 pm

I'm not sure where the 70% reported load is coming from. I fly this route once every few weeks and it's always been full. SJC is quicker and easier to get out of than SFO and right down where most tech companies are, so avoids a 30-40 mile drive down. Sure, there might be days when loads are less than full, but I don't see BA closing SJC any time soon. Just unlucky that the 787s have been having issues.

Also worth looking at BA281/280 to LAX and seeing that's also very often cancelled these days.
 
SonaSounds
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Thu May 03, 2018 3:35 pm

DAL763ER wrote:
I'm not sure where the 70% reported load is coming from. I fly this route once every few weeks and it's always been full. SJC is quicker and easier to get out of than SFO and right down where most tech companies are, so avoids a 30-40 mile drive down. Sure, there might be days when loads are less than full, but I don't see BA closing SJC any time soon. Just unlucky that the 787s have been having issues.

Also worth looking at BA281/280 to LAX and seeing that's also very often cancelled these days.


The 73.3% load is from the US Bureau of Transportation Statistics. Loads are between ~75% to ~90% between April-October but drop into the 50s% between November-February. Has a little more seasonality than some routes but nothing out of the ordinary.
 
User avatar
janders
Moderator
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Thu May 03, 2018 3:50 pm

With rising fuel cost, I think we will see airlines finally take a closer look at marginal flying and much of the froth that has built up in last few years.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle
 
LH707330
Posts: 2214
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Thu May 03, 2018 4:11 pm

I think the big issue with the SJC traffic is that your average south bay resident has no idea that they can now get to Asia and Europe from there. Not sure how much marketing they do, but I'd wager that they've got a ways to go in promoting the service.
 
SRT75
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:42 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Thu May 03, 2018 4:24 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
aviationjunky wrote:


My guess is that a lot of people THINK they still need to go to SFO to fly internationally. People haven’t yet caught on to the fact that SJC itself has key international flights.


Well, it must be a really SLOW learning curve. AA had Japan flights in the 90s, and there have been international flights out of SJC for a while.

It's an O&D only market and highly dependent on the tech sector. (You know, the people who believe in video conferences in their casual wear rather than flying half-way across the globe for an in-person meeting in a suit.)
 
CaliguyNYC
Posts: 1094
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Thu May 03, 2018 4:32 pm

While I am not doubting that BA's SJC loads aren't great (although I would imagine J did well from SJC but maybe not see below), I would think they stopped SJC during their 787 issues because pax could get rerouted to SFO. While a pain for some, I would imagine many won't complain and those that really do will probably be happy with a $100/200 voucher. As an aside, I wonder if the issue with SJC is that the upper management at tech firms live to the north of San Jose proper. For those people SFO might not be that bad. If you lose the J class pax, then what are you left with. San Jose proper is just 800K.
 
tonyban
Topic Author
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:55 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Thu May 03, 2018 5:00 pm

LH707330 wrote:
I think the big issue with the SJC traffic is that your average south bay resident has no idea that they can now get to Asia and Europe from there. Not sure how much marketing they do, but I'd wager that they've got a ways to go in promoting the service.


Many people I know of Indian origin have no idea that they can fly to India with flights originating from San Jose. They have a belief that SFO is the only port in the western United States that'll get you to India. A typical response might be 'Oh ! There are no jumbos that fly to San Jose'
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6314
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Thu May 03, 2018 5:26 pm

SRT75 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
aviationjunky wrote:


My guess is that a lot of people THINK they still need to go to SFO to fly internationally. People haven’t yet caught on to the fact that SJC itself has key international flights.


Well, it must be a really SLOW learning curve. AA had Japan flights in the 90s, and there have been international flights out of SJC for a while.

It's an O&D only market and highly dependent on the tech sector. (You know, the people who believe in video conferences in their casual wear rather than flying half-way across the globe for an in-person meeting in a suit.)


AA dropped NRT in 2006. The next overseas flight was about 2013 when NH started. And remember that was delayed awhile due to the grounding.

I’m from SJC so of course I root for the airport to do well.
 
User avatar
ronitkadam777
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Thu May 03, 2018 5:46 pm

BA's SJC flight does not connect well with their flights to BOM / DEL (layover of 6-8 hours each way, and this has always been an expensive flight compared to other options).
Where as LH's SJC flight times well with their India connections from FRA. (ideal layover of ~2 hours each way).

So yeah, if a person wants to fly to India (with not more than one stop and not choose UA / LH) then probably its worth driving up 101 and getting a plethora of more flight options!


tonyban wrote:
LH707330 wrote:
I think the big issue with the SJC traffic is that your average south bay resident has no idea that they can now get to Asia and Europe from there. Not sure how much marketing they do, but I'd wager that they've got a ways to go in promoting the service.


Many people I know of Indian origin have no idea that they can fly to India with flights originating from San Jose. They have a belief that SFO is the only port in the western United States that'll get you to India. A typical response might be 'Oh ! There are no jumbos that fly to San Jose'
 
mham001
Posts: 5616
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:52 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Thu May 03, 2018 5:56 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
As an aside, I wonder if the issue with SJC is that the upper management at tech firms live to the north of San Jose proper. For those people SFO might not be that bad. If you lose the J class pax, then what are you left with. San Jose proper is just 800K.


That is if you ignore the south bay tech executive enclaves of Los Gatos, Saratoga, Cupertino, Los Altos, etc.

SJ 'proper' is 1.02 million, just over half of the surrounding county.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6314
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Thu May 03, 2018 7:37 pm

mham001 wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:
As an aside, I wonder if the issue with SJC is that the upper management at tech firms live to the north of San Jose proper. For those people SFO might not be that bad. If you lose the J class pax, then what are you left with. San Jose proper is just 800K.


That is if you ignore the south bay tech executive enclaves of Los Gatos, Saratoga, Cupertino, Los Altos, etc.

SJ 'proper' is 1.02 million, just over half of the surrounding county.


Don’t forget Palo Alto, Fremont, Milpitas and maybe even Pleasanton, all of which are as close or closer to SJC than SFO. SJC is also easier to get into.
 
wowlookplanes
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:59 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Thu May 03, 2018 11:47 pm

When HSR opens up to San Jose, I'd imagine that will also drive outsized growth at SJC vs. SFO....though to be fair that's far enough out (~10 yrs) so as to be pure conjecture at this point....
 
steex
Posts: 1428
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:45 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Fri May 04, 2018 1:26 am

wowlookplanes wrote:
When HSR opens up to San Jose, I'd imagine that will also drive outsized growth at SJC vs. SFO....though to be fair that's far enough out (~10 yrs) so as to be pure conjecture at this point....


I wouldn't bet on that. Most versions of the HSR plans envision a consolidated train station with direct airport access to SFO (as opposed to the existing Millbrae/San Bruno shuffle to get from Caltrain to BART to airport today), while HSR in San Jose will stop at Diridon Station and its still relatively poor connections to SJC.
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Fri May 04, 2018 6:09 am

CaliguyNYC wrote:
While I am not doubting that BA's SJC loads aren't great (although I would imagine J did well from SJC but maybe not see below), I would think they stopped SJC during their 787 issues because pax could get rerouted to SFO. While a pain for some, I would imagine many won't complain and those that really do will probably be happy with a $100/200 voucher. As an aside, I wonder if the issue with SJC is that the upper management at tech firms live to the north of San Jose proper. For those people SFO might not be that bad. If you lose the J class pax, then what are you left with. San Jose proper is just 800K.


If by San Jose proper you mean population, it’s 1,015,785. Santa Clara county is 1,938,153 (2017 estimate).
 
chiawei
Posts: 984
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2000 9:07 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Fri May 04, 2018 7:51 am

AirFiero wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:
While I am not doubting that BA's SJC loads aren't great (although I would imagine J did well from SJC but maybe not see below), I would think they stopped SJC during their 787 issues because pax could get rerouted to SFO. While a pain for some, I would imagine many won't complain and those that really do will probably be happy with a $100/200 voucher. As an aside, I wonder if the issue with SJC is that the upper management at tech firms live to the north of San Jose proper. For those people SFO might not be that bad. If you lose the J class pax, then what are you left with. San Jose proper is just 800K.


If by San Jose proper you mean population, it’s 1,015,785. Santa Clara county is 1,938,153 (2017 estimate).


I personally do wish for more choices from SJC.

Flying out next week to Chicago. I would rather make it a one stop flight instead of dealing with traffic on 101,880, 92, 84
 
Ph1l1p
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:20 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Fri May 04, 2018 9:33 am

The SJC cancellations have just been because of the 787 engine issues, some flights have been cancelled, some have been on the 787-8 and I believe a 747 was sent one day too. Yesterday 3rd of May, BA had cancelled the 787 flights to LAX, SJC and LAD. The LAX, and SJC have easy dispersal options, LAD flights aren’t particularly busy as it’s niche and only twice a week from Heathrow. But, BA will be alternating destinations been cancelled as they still have the 80/20 slot rule to contend with.
 
User avatar
KLMatSJC
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:16 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Fri May 04, 2018 9:54 am

Ph1l1p wrote:
some have been on the 787-8 and I believe a 747 was sent one day too


We have gotten a few 788s, but never a 747. Well in our dreams we have :)
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood
 
tonyban
Topic Author
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:55 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Fri May 04, 2018 2:43 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
Ph1l1p wrote:
some have been on the 787-8 and I believe a 747 was sent one day too


We have gotten a few 788s, but never a 747. Well in our dreams we have :)


I do believe a JAL 747 came to SJC a few years back. A Delta 747 charter was here when the 49ers flew to New Orleans for the Superbowl back in 2013. I also think a Frys Electronics 747SP has been here too.

Sorry for being off topic mods !
 
Richie72
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:02 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Fri May 04, 2018 3:51 pm

Do we know long their two aircraft will be out of service and how far in advance BA are canceling the SJC flight? I’m am booked on this flight in 2,5 weeks and looking at the availability and seat map it is pretty empty! Might consider rebooking to the SFO flight.
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Fri May 04, 2018 5:01 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
Ph1l1p wrote:
some have been on the 787-8 and I believe a 747 was sent one day too


We have gotten a few 788s, but never a 747. Well in our dreams we have :)


Could a 747 use any of the gates at the international arrivals area, or that wide body gate at the end of old terminal A (would be a challenge so far from the FIS facility)? Or would they have to remote it, south west of terminal B and use busses?
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Fri May 04, 2018 5:07 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
aviationjunky wrote:
Could the low loads be because they have almost identical service with two airports within 50+/- miles of each other? Both SJC and SFO serve LHR year round, and SFO has better connectivity options, as far as more airline options for passengers to continue their travel with. SFO and SJC are pretty close to eachother, so to me, it seems to make sense to make one LHR and the other LGW. With OAK having seasonal LGW service, that adds another airport with service to the UK within 50 miles of each other. I personally think it's just an overkill situation, especially because UA and VS also offer service from SFO to LHR.


Do you live in the Bay Area? Have you ever driven on highway 101 from the South Bay to SFO to catch a flight? Try that before we decide to shut down SJC.


I've driven it, and yes it's bad. However I doubt airlines make decisions om frequency or route cuts based on traffic to the airport. It they did, I can name off a lot of cities where getting to the airport is a hassle.


I’d bet that airlines make route descisions based on many things. Traffic might be one, and might not as you say. But passengers do. Offer a flight more convenient to passengers, and you might be successful. From some of the posts in this thread, it sounds like SJC needs more marketing.
 
User avatar
KLMatSJC
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:16 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Fri May 04, 2018 5:25 pm

tonyban wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:
Ph1l1p wrote:
some have been on the 787-8 and I believe a 747 was sent one day too


We have gotten a few 788s, but never a 747. Well in our dreams we have :)


I do believe a JAL 747 came to SJC a few years back. A Delta 747 charter was here when the 49ers flew to New Orleans for the Superbowl back in 2013. I also think a Frys Electronics 747SP has been here too.

Sorry for being off topic mods !


Yes, but no BA scheduled one. SJC has actually gotten a few more 747s. In 1970 (maybe -71), a -100 came on a promo tour for the 747. We have gotten many NW/DL 744 charters in the last 10 years, mainly for troop movements. We have also gotten a lot of Atlas 744s recently for troop charters, and a few soccer teams. We had the United Charter 744 come in when that plane was still around for troop charters, in addition to some regular UA 744s as diversions from SFO. We are had a few 748s come in back in 2011 for proving flights.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood
 
User avatar
KLMatSJC
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:16 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Fri May 04, 2018 5:26 pm

AirFiero wrote:
SFOA380 wrote:
Off topic a bit but just to illustrate that loads are only half the story... LH is taking SJC off Cityline and putting a premium-heavy A340 on SJC-FRA.


I read something about that. Do know when? Will that be in LH colors, instead of the generic looking Star Alliance paint?


That was just "announced", but has been on the schedule for a few months now. October 28 is the switchover date.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood
 
User avatar
SFOA380
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:35 am

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Fri May 04, 2018 5:27 pm

Off topic a bit but just to illustrate that loads are only half the story... LH is taking SJC off Cityline and putting a premium-heavy A340 on SJC-FRA.
 
AirFiero
Posts: 1358
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: British Airways LHR-SJC cancelled flights !

Fri May 04, 2018 5:27 pm

SFOA380 wrote:
Off topic a bit but just to illustrate that loads are only half the story... LH is taking SJC off Cityline and putting a premium-heavy A340 on SJC-FRA.


I read something about that. Do know when? Will that be in LH colors, instead of the generic looking Star Alliance paint?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos