cirrusdragoon
Topic Author

WestJet and the 787

Thu May 03, 2018 6:50 am

According to this source , Westjet’s international product will aim to have a legacy carrier feel. Interesting to note , it is revealed they will have 24 premium economy seats , also worth noting they have rebranded “plus”to “premium
economy”it appears.

http://atwonline.com/blog/westjet-ceo-not-norwegian

neomax

Re: WestJet and the 787

Thu May 03, 2018 7:19 am

Very interesting choice of words.

Trying to be like the legacies is probably a negative thing because Norwegian's product blows the doors off anything the legacies can offer so that sets a very low bar. Ouch.

zkncj

Thu May 03, 2018 7:29 am

But that is not actually the case. New CEO Ed Sims, whose background includes running Air New Zealand’s long-haul operations, views WestJet’s coming long-haul offering as more akin to Air New Zealand’s—and Air Canada’s—long-haul offering than Norwegian’s.

With Ed Sims now in the mix at WestJet - there is an chance we could see WestJet try YVR-AKL/SYD?

Ed Sims will know allot of insight on the cross pacific market and will know how well NZ does on YVR-AKL for this NW coming NZ will increase YVR to 10x weekly with an 77E. Its really an route that is in desperate need of someone else to join the party.

worldranger

Thu May 03, 2018 8:07 am

YVR-DXB with EK code share onwards would be ineteresting

drgmobile

Thu May 03, 2018 10:56 am

cirrusdragoon wrote:
According to this source , Westjet’s international product will aim to have a legacy carrier feel. Interesting to note , it is revealed they will have 24 premium economy seats , also worth noting they have rebranded “plus”to “premium
economy”it appears.

I think you're over interpreting the discussion around WestJet's premium product. I don't see anything in there indicating the company is rebranding WestJet Plus. It would be an odd rebranding since Plus is bilingual and Premium isn't. I think he's just using the term "premium economy" in a generic way. This is already how the company describes WestJet Plus -- as a premium economy product:

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-in ... plus/index

That being said, given that the business class cabin on the 787 will have lie flat seats, I would expect it will have a separate brand announced for that cabin, and possibly another new one for the "international premium economy" cabin that also will be installed on the aircraft if they wish to differentiate it from WestJet Plus.

whywhyzee

Thu May 03, 2018 2:35 pm

How is this news...this has been known for literally years. I personally have seen multiple company presentations that were publicially available saying exactly this.

On a side note, we won’t have to wait long for the reveal of the cabins and new livery. Event is next Tuesday. Employees and media.

whywhyzee

Thu May 03, 2018 2:37 pm

zkncj wrote:
But that is not actually the case. New CEO Ed Sims, whose background includes running Air New Zealand’s long-haul operations, views WestJet’s coming long-haul offering as more akin to Air New Zealand’s—and Air Canada’s—long-haul offering than Norwegian’s.

With Ed Sims now in the mix at WestJet - there is an chance we could see WestJet try YVR-AKL/SYD?

Ed Sims will know allot of insight on the cross pacific market and will know how well NZ does on YVR-AKL for this NW coming NZ will increase YVR to 10x weekly with an 77E. Its really an route that is in desperate need of someone else to join the party.

From what I have heard, the focus will be Toronto, and initial routes will be to Asia (countries were India, China and Japan). I’m sure Vancouver will see some action, but to what extent I do not have the answer.

Also, where are you seeing ANZ going to 10x weekly, max I see is daily during peak seasons, less than daily other times.

cirrusdragoon
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2018 2:43 pm

neomax wrote:

Trying to be like the legacies is probably a negative thing because Norwegian's product blows the doors off anything the legacies can offer so that sets a very low bar. Ouch.

I feel a legacy carrier such as air canada or lufthansa offer a superior product to what norwegian offers.

reffado

Thu May 03, 2018 3:00 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:
neomax wrote:

I feel a legacy carrier such as air canada or lufthansa offer a superior product to what norwegian offers.

While you're not wrong, I suspect he meant that Norwegian's product beats legacies on a "cost-benefit" ratio aspect. Sure, it's not as refined as LH's offerings for example, but it also does cost considerably less. The value per dollar ends up being better.

cirrusdragoon
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2018 3:06 pm

reffado wrote:
cirrusdragoon wrote:
neomax wrote:

While you're not wrong, I suspect he meant that Norwegian's product beats legacies on a "cost-benefit" ratio aspect. Sure, it's not as refined as LH's offerings for example, but it also does cost considerably less. The value per dollar ends up being better.

Yes absolutely. :) I agree with this.

49Paralell

Thu May 03, 2018 3:39 pm

A mistake in my opinion but it sure explains the start of "Swoop Airlines" as WJ is it's parent company. It will be interesting to see what services will they offer on board and how they will diversify their service from Air Canada. Will their flight attendants be all serious now and drop the awesome sense of humor that they have? WJ has been successful in its "point-to-point" business model a copy cat of Southwest, I fail to see how a "hub and spoke" saturated model will be successful.

In thinking that, perhaps they see a market in China and some European and middle eastern destinations. time will tell.

1900Driver

Thu May 03, 2018 3:40 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
zkncj wrote:

From what I have heard, the focus will be Toronto, and initial routes will be to Asia (countries were India, China and Japan). I’m sure Vancouver will see some action, but to what extent I do not have the answer.

Also, where are you seeing ANZ going to 10x weekly, max I see is daily during peak seasons, less than daily other times.

They want to go to Asia? Geez, good luck. Yields to China & HK are very difficult these days. They may have a decent cost base, but going up against Chinese carriers is near suicide, unless they can convince premium passengers to switch from AC (doubtful).

cirrusdragoon
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2018 4:56 pm

drgmobile wrote:
cirrusdragoon wrote:
economy”it appears.

I think you're over interpreting the discussion around WestJet's premium product. I don't see anything in there indicating the company is rebranding WestJet Plus. It would be an odd rebranding since Plus is bilingual and Premium isn't. I think he's just using the term "premium economy" in a generic way. This is already how the company describes WestJet Plus -- as a premium economy product:

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-in ... plus/index

That being said, given that the business class cabin on the 787 will have lie flat seats, I would expect it will have a separate brand announced for that cabin, and possibly another new one for the "international premium economy" cabin that also will be installed on the aircraft if they wish to differentiate it from WestJet Plus.

I will agree that neither of us are correct until this supposed reveal as mentioned by the obvious insider informant. The term plus on its own seems very amatuer in my opinion. It would be nice to see this airline mature a bit more and use a more refined approach to their wording.
I disagree that it would be “an odd rebrand” , for a name does not need to be bilingual for every thing. Air Canada uses Premium Economy and in the French documenation “ Cabine Économique Privilège ". The term
premium economy is already being softly launched on WJ 737 menus as per my recent flight back to europe. Image

In addition, just because something is status quo today does not mean it will not be something else another day. Products and their names evolve over time. When aligning premium economy with partner airlines , there is some degree of collaboration amongst them. Lufthansa calls their premium economy as Air Canada calls theirs. Delta, soon to be in a joint venture partnership with WJ, has two
names for their Premium Economy depending on aircraft type/ route, Comfort + and Premium Select. Cathay Pacific , another of WJ codesharing partners, refers to theirs as Premium Economy. It Is less confusing for the consumer to use an industry normal term.

I did speak with one of the WJ cabin attendants onboard my flight back to europe , and was hinted at a new 2 by 2 seat coming to their 737 fleet, quite possibly an introduction of business class on the 737 fleet. It remains to be seen. I would analyze this and go further to say one would be trying to create a consistent product offering across the whole fleet. A traveller seated in business class fare on the 787 who makes a connection onto the 737 aircraft, would then continue in a business class seat.

Alas , it would be the opportune time to transform and name their “plus” to premium economy. Had Ed Sim mentioned anywhere in the article the term “Plus” , I would put it completely out of my mind that the term would change , but that is not the case. Time will tell. The writing appears to be on the wall based on all these factors.

Jayce

Thu May 03, 2018 5:07 pm

whywhyzee wrote:

Interesting, I’ve heard 3/4 YYZ and 1/4 YVR, at least initially. From their investor day route map, Delhi looks like it will be served from YVR while DXB will be from YYZ.
https://www.westjet.com/assets/wj-web/documents/en/investorMedia/171206-presentation-investor-day.pdf
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

cumulushumilis

Sat May 05, 2018 5:00 am

3 Aircraft Scheduled for Q1, 2019.. Not a lot of lift for the lofty aspirations of Anet. I would love to know how folks know where the aircraft are going and who’ve they’ve heard it from. I don’t think the folks who plan their network know yet where they are going just yet.

1900Driver

Sat May 05, 2018 3:21 pm

Jayce wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:

Interesting, I’ve heard 3/4 YYZ and 1/4 YVR, at least initially. From their investor day route map, Delhi looks like it will be served from YVR while DXB will be from YYZ.
https://www.westjet.com/assets/wj-web/documents/en/investorMedia/171206-presentation-investor-day.pdf

DEL/DXB is just a dream. Get investors onboard to pump the stock.

strfyr51

Sat May 05, 2018 4:28 pm

1900Driver wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
zkncj wrote:

They want to go to Asia? Geez, good luck. Yields to China & HK are very difficult these days. They may have a decent cost base, but going up against Chinese carriers is near suicide, unless they can convince premium passengers to switch from AC (doubtful).

There are a LOT of Asians living in Western Canada so SIN,DEL,BOM,HKG and maybe PEK are not out of the question for revenue. and YVR could be an excellent place to gain Revenue. (YVR is one of my favorite "Good Eats" places in Canada)

Goose

Sat May 05, 2018 4:43 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
There are a LOT of Asians living in Western Canada so SIN,DEL,BOM,HKG and maybe PEK are not out of the question for revenue. and YVR could be an excellent place to gain Revenue. (YVR is one of my favorite "Good Eats" places in Canada)

YVR is a natural place to set up a Pacific gateway\fortress hub. CP did the same in the 1990s.

And what, nobody bets on MNL these days? You could make a mint on YWG-MNL, I swear. ;)
"Talk to me, Goose..."

boeing767300

Sat May 05, 2018 5:11 pm

There is no doubt in my mind that they will fall flat on their face with the overseas routes. Air Canada and the other legacies will essentially "eat their lunch" on any routes that they decide to dabble in. I had hoped that Sims would return the airline to some sort of reality and bring it back to its roots. Dropping Swoop and making peace with the pilots would have been a good start. From there he could have reached a Rouge type of agreement with the pilots so as to achieve low cost competiveness. Negotiating with Boeing to replace the 787s with MAX 737s would have been a logical next step. As per Southwest they would have fleet standardization and would only fly where the 737 could take them. Having been around western Canada for forty years and I have seen a lot of carriers come and go. That said it was a great time when Westjet came into being and became a successful 737 airline as per Southwest. Now it is a toxic place to work and under the leadership of a total outsider who has no clue about how to run an airline from western Canada. The toxicity will intensify on May 8th as ALPA has organized a picket at the AGM and all picketers have been told to wear their uniforms. The backdrop to all of this is the ongoing strike vote that is happening and the $2,000.000.00 strike fund that ALPA has transferred to the WS ALPA committee. Very sad indeed and a long ways from the little airline that could.

1900Driver

Sat May 05, 2018 8:26 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
1900Driver wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:

Demand is not the question, but rather supply. Asian markets to Canada are very challenged from a margin perspective. Especially HKG & PEK to a lesser extent (due to the capacity controls from China).

DEL is covered by AC, & will be vigorously defended. As well, margins from Canada to India aren’t great as well. Can ws make it work with limited feed options?

Don’t forget, ws cost advantages are dimishing. If they resolve their dispute with the pilots, the outcome will certainly not favour the company!

ACDC8

Sun May 06, 2018 12:31 am

WestJet has expanded as much as they can using the old business model - its time to move ahead and frankly, as a very frequent WS passenger, I'm excited in the direction they're heading. Most of my flights are in Plus, its an OK product, but it needs to be better - too many times I've been tempted to switch over to AC for that very reason, and I know I'm not alone. WS could be a very effective competitor in the premium market.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

wave46

Sun May 06, 2018 1:04 am

cumulushumilis wrote:
3 Aircraft Scheduled for Q1, 2019.. Not a lot of lift for the lofty aspirations of Anet. I would love to know how folks know where the aircraft are going and who’ve they’ve heard it from. I don’t think the folks who plan their network know yet where they are going just yet.

I suspect they might be used for LGW - at least from Toronto and Calgary. The 767s they have are between 24-28 years old, so I'm not sure how much life they have left in them under daily use.

Those 767s might be rotated into less demanding roles (e.g. YWG-LGW).

Getting past the tweener size in the international market will be hard for Westjet. They had it pretty easy in Canada with only one competitor (and one who was going through troubles of its own to boot) when building a domestic (and to a lesser extent, North American) network.

International business travelers tend to favor airlines in an alliance or with a broad network of destinations. Leisure travelers tend to be low-yield. The competition is fierce on both those markets. There are no huge obvious gaps in service or niches to fill (or if there are, those are protected for various reasons), so they'll have to grind it out and build a competitive product with brand awareness in multiple countries. That's going to cost time and money. Lots of it.

I'd say their best opportunity would be to leverage Delta's experience and resources if they are serious about this.

robsaw

Sun May 06, 2018 4:40 am

boeing767300 wrote:
There is no doubt in my mind that they will fall flat on their face with the overseas routes. Air Canada and the other legacies will essentially "eat their lunch" on any routes that they decide to dabble in. I had hoped that Sims would return the airline to some sort of reality and bring it back to its roots. Dropping Swoop and making peace with the pilots would have been a good start. From there he could have reached a Rouge type of agreement with the pilots so as to achieve low cost competiveness. Negotiating with Boeing to replace the 787s with MAX 737s would have been a logical next step. As per Southwest they would have fleet standardization and would only fly where the 737 could take them. Having been around western Canada for forty years and I have seen a lot of carriers come and go. That said it was a great time when Westjet came into being and became a successful 737 airline as per Southwest. Now it is a toxic place to work and under the leadership of a total outsider who has no clue about how to run an airline from western Canada. The toxicity will intensify on May 8th as ALPA has organized a picket at the AGM and all picketers have been told to wear their uniforms. The backdrop to all of this is the ongoing strike vote that is happening and the $2,000.000.00 strike fund that ALPA has transferred to the WS ALPA committee. Very sad indeed and a long ways from the little airline that could.

The problem is that their roots are exhausted. The Southwest model only goes so far in Canada and Westjet has already extended it about as far as it could go. Heading back to the "roots" provides no reasonable possibility for sustained growth. So, take a risk or status quo?

LAXintl

Tue May 08, 2018 6:22 pm

Onboard product revealed.

https://787.westjet.com/
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

awschucks77

Westjet’s New livery on 787

Tue May 08, 2018 6:27 pm

Hello all

A friend who works for Westjet just sent me pics that were revealed today. However I have no idea how to upload them...

janders

Tue May 08, 2018 6:29 pm

Seems like too much product in my opinion as LCC. Will the routes they operate really need such a top end product?

Also dont care for new livery.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

ACDC8

Tue May 08, 2018 6:33 pm

Fantastic job WestJet!

The new livery is wonderful, its still identifiable as WS yet new, updated and fresh - fantastic job!

The new product looks awesome, and its truly exiting to watch WS head into a new direction.

Also loving the "Spirit of Canada" on the fuselage.

UPlog

Tue May 08, 2018 6:36 pm

Paint is underwhelming.

Product looks fantastic, but wonder indeed if its not over the top. They will certainly need top end premium/biz markets to generate the revenue to cover its space cost making utility of airplane less for more leisure markets as currently flown.

airzona11

Tue May 08, 2018 6:37 pm

Wow, great job WestJet. Looks amazing. Kind of reminds me of the old Air Canada inside, but the cabin looks amazing.

obelau24

Tue May 08, 2018 6:42 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Onboard product revealed.

https://787.westjet.com/

Holy smokes!!! I have never been so excited about anything before in my life! The product in all classes looks absolutely amazing. It’ll be interesting how the inflight service will be trained out - no offense but WS crew are great but not exactly business-class polished. The training program needs to be a major focus for this to be a success. God I wish I still worked for them - this is so exciting.

Polot

Tue May 08, 2018 6:51 pm

Is Qantas buying a stake in Westjet? “Spirit of Canada,” similar sweep of the livery on the rear fuselage.

(And calm down people, I am not actually serious)
Last edited by Polot on Tue May 08, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bricktop

Looks awesome. Those PE seats look especially nice.

LAXintl

To me the million dollar questions is will WS be able to earn the revenue premium(matching AC and legacy carriers) to cover the cost in space of such upgraded product offering. Could be a bloody battle.

Also yes the network utility of the 787 frame will be limited with such a configuration. WS will indeed need to chase after more premium heavy/biz markets than potentially more secondary or leisure focused markets. It will be quite a strategy change.

On the paint, yes I am also underwhelmed, but I have always been underwhelmed by WS livery and color palate.

yhu

Re: Westjet’s New livery on 787

Tue May 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Acey

Tue May 08, 2018 7:07 pm

"Qantas North"
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

YYZatcboy

Tue May 08, 2018 7:08 pm

https://787.westjet.com

There is the launch site and videos/promo material.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

Noise

Tue May 08, 2018 7:10 pm

It's stunning...but I wanted to see more "Maple Leaf" in it.

CBBW

Tue May 08, 2018 7:10 pm

Really like what they’ve done. Clean, contemporary and premium looking.
Interesting they’re using the same seat model that AC uses in business and the same design firm that AC used for their Dreamliner interiors.
Very nice job, Westjet. :bigthumbsup:

mercure1

Tue May 08, 2018 7:17 pm

Dont care for the new paint. Its dull like current one.

Is WestJet becoming a full fare, full service carrier?
mercure f-wtcc

TWA772LR

I think I'm in the minority, I don't dig it. The titles look too cheap and is kind of a Qantas rip off. Hopefully it looks better I real life than the rendering.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

CBBW

ACDC8 wrote:
Noise wrote:

I got a fever, and the only cure is more Maple Leaf!
:rotfl:

:lol:
“They gotta a dynamite look...”

ACDC8

Tue May 08, 2018 7:18 pm

Noise wrote:

I got a fever, and the only cure is more Maple Leaf!
:rotfl:

airliner371

Tue May 08, 2018 7:19 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Is WestJet becoming a full fare, full service carrier?

Yes, that is their public plan.

LAXintl

Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 pm

And if ALPA has their way - a full cost airline also....

From today

OA940

Tue May 08, 2018 8:07 pm

At this point people would claim everything that has a straight line near the tail a Qantas ripoff lmao

Idk how much it'll work out for them, but the interiors are spectacular! The livery is amazing too. FINALLY SOMEONE KNOWS HOW TO REBRAND!!!
A350/CSeries = bae

ikolkyo

Tue May 08, 2018 8:12 pm

Really liking that new livery!

Acey

Tue May 08, 2018 8:16 pm

OA940 wrote:
At this point people would claim everything that has a straight line near the tail a Qantas ripoff lmao

You miss the SPIRIT OF CANADA or you're just gonna pretend that's not what we're talking about? Their "thing" has always been "Proudly Canadian" until "Spirit of Canada" mysteriously appears at the same time as the rest of the Qantas livery.
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

cirrusdragoon
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2018 8:30 pm

From Geneva and sending love , for the new Westjet ! Brilliant!

Dominion301

Tue May 08, 2018 8:45 pm

OA940 wrote:

Idk how much it'll work out for them, but the interiors are spectacular! The livery is amazing too. FINALLY SOMEONE KNOWS HOW TO REBRAND!!!

It's a cool tail with the same old WestJet Eurowhite fuselage. Medicore rebrand at best.

Also "L'esprit du Canada" will appear on the starboard side of the aircraft.

The interiors do look impressive though.

WS are currently live on FB, but the audio is barely audible: https://www.facebook.com/westjet/videos ... 517403552/

Hard to believe that after all of this hype that WS could be grounded in a few weeks with a pilots' strike at the height of the summer season.

Noise

Tue May 08, 2018 8:49 pm

Will this new livery be featured on the rest of the fleet as well?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos