Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Speedalive

Re: WestJet and the 787

Thu May 10, 2018 7:29 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
Qantas is hardly the first carrier to use "Spirit of ..." .

Whilst this is true, I think it's more just the way that it's presented on the fuselage that's causing people to be bothered by it, myself included. It looks identical. I agree that the the average person won't bat an eye though.

sixtyseven

Thu May 10, 2018 8:38 pm

caribb wrote:
sixtyseven wrote:
The whole French thing is nonsense too. They branded themselves western, outgrew what the west could provide. And are now chasing the Francophone dollar. Some French on the airplane and taped French announcements aren’t fooling anyone.

Well let’s not forget in outgrowing the “Western” focus they are now chasing the UK market and have suggested they’re going after the Chinese market so why should French Canada be any more foreign that they can’t get a grasp on it? It’s telling and sad they can’t succeed in Canada second largest city because the competion (AC) is too engrained or they don’t grasp the subtleties of the Quebec market or language...so it strikes me they are really just de facto English Canada’s Airline no matter how much French they put in their planes, if anything it would probably benefit them more if they added Manadrin and/or Cantonese on the 789 instead so they could strengthen their Vancouver base and future Asian routes.

You don’t live in Canada. And I can’t explain it on here.
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

longhauler

Thu May 10, 2018 11:07 pm

caribb wrote:
longhauler wrote:
tonystan wrote:
What I most curious about, is how Westjet will handle the bilingual translation. I understand that "L'Esprit du Canada" will adorn the starboard side of the aircraft. But, will that be the same on every aircraft?

In all honesty they could just stick to painting the French line on their 737s and Q400’s if it’s not something that’s mandated by law. The 789 will never fly to YUL since it is a non hub city in their network and one they just can’t seem to grow in for whatever reason.

I am not necessarily thinking about breaking French language laws as a rule, but more the PR of a western airline putting French on "the bad side of the aircraft".

I am old enough to remember when CP did this ... they made sure that the first aircraft painted had French on the left side of the aircraft, perceived to be the "better" side, so that they would always outnumber or equal those with English on the left side. Silly maybe, but CP recognized that Quebec was a huge market. And ironically enough, if I recall, CP Limited's headquarters were in Montreal!!

Shoot, think about the bad PR Air Canada received when an individual was not able to order 7Up in both official languages on a Jazz Dash-8 flying between YOW and YUL, and .... "7Up" in French is "7Up" !!

It's a funny market. Combine that with today's social media speading the word like wildfire, it wouldn't take much.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

kimimm19

Fri May 11, 2018 8:03 am

The new marketing video is now out on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSQn4QK8QDY

Notice how they spent all but 10 seconds on economy before quickly getting back to Premium Eco and Business...

SpaceshipDC10

Fri May 11, 2018 11:04 am

kimimm19 wrote:
Notice how they spent all but 10 seconds on economy before quickly getting back to Premium Eco and Business...

Does it surprises you? Not only there's nothing special to talk about economy, but since they are entering the premium market they better advertise it.

kimimm19

Fri May 11, 2018 12:47 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
kimimm19 wrote:

Does it surprises you? Not only there's nothing special to talk about economy, but since they are entering the premium market they better advertise it.

It does surprise me actually of how blatant it is... At least other airlines have tried to indicate that even economy is a step up from the norm with lower cabin pressure, new seats, etc.... but all WestJet could manage is powerplugs...

yycdel

Fri May 11, 2018 3:53 pm

Interestingly, I can't find any mention of complimentary meals in economy.

longhauler

Fri May 11, 2018 4:38 pm

yycdel wrote:
Interestingly, I can't find any mention of complimentary meals in economy.

I believe that was the same as Westjet's Atlantic operation on the 767. Food was only available for purchase. It is the same on Icelandair and WOW, but complimentary meals are provided on Rouge's 767 Atlantic operations.

As it looks like at Westjet, initially the 787s are replacing the 767s, then I can't imagine that changing.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

ACDC8

Fri May 11, 2018 7:03 pm

kimimm19 wrote:
It does surprise me actually of how blatant it is... At least other airlines have tried to indicate that even economy is a step up from the norm with lower cabin pressure, new seats, etc.... but all WestJet could manage is powerplugs...

Pretty sure that the high majority of people didn't notice this. The main reason for the reveal was not to emphasize the 787 itself but more the new direction that WS is heading and the big part of that is the new premium economy and business classes. They want to show everyone that they're growing up and will be offering a lot more than the model they've used for the last two decades. No sense in wasting valuable advertising time by telling people what they are already familiar with.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

YVRing

Sun May 13, 2018 9:15 am

Once the 787s come on board how long does WS plan in keeping the 767s? Are they immediately gonna replace them one for one or go for expansion and keep the 767s flying to Europe?

NWADTWE16

Sun May 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Absolutely love this move all around. Hope they settle the pilots straight away for obvious reasons and also so that this wonderful Canadian carrier can really spread its wings as it clearly intends to.

The livery is beautiful, the interior is stunning, and makes me want to consider them way more than I do now. They are clearly aligning with Delta and Skyteam more and more, which is great for their future and Canadians. I don't understand all the Qantas Malarkey, but hey, always whining in here, so that's what you all came up with, rock on.

This move will help WestJet secure more contracts and bring in more revenue while taking the WESTJET name to the global stage, where btw, there is no reason, and it would be suicide to change.

Fly on WestJet!
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos