LPSHobby
Topic Author

Wizz Air launches UK flights

Thu May 03, 2018 9:28 am

Central and Eastern European LCC Wizz Air has secured its UK air operator’s certificate (AOC) and operating licence, paving the way for Wizz Air UK to launch flights on May 3.

http://atwonline.com/airlines/wizz-air- ... es-flights

BHXLOVER

Re: Wizz Air launches UK flights

Thu May 03, 2018 10:01 am

Their UK registered aircraft have been doing LTN-BHX-LTN training flights for some time now.

albertocsc

Thu May 03, 2018 10:35 am

Also they have been operating scheduled flights already.
Last month I had one from LTN to BTS.

pdp

Thu May 03, 2018 10:55 am

Nice to see a good airline like Wizz expanding their UK operations!

I do have a feeling they’ll need a second base soon as Luton is cramped, and I mean REALLY cramped at peak time. For example, there’s a line of 6-8 Wizz flights that land around 07h30 to 08h00 every day and with the sheer amount of Wizz, Blue, Ryanair and easyJet flights at that time I can’t see Luton expanding too much more. Partially through ramp space, partially the runway (heavily-loaded aircraft have to backtrack to takeoff), and partially because at peak time the terminal resembles the Northern Line at rush hour.

hohd

Thu May 03, 2018 1:52 pm

Wish they would operate Liverpool to London area. No one operates that route.

SCQ83

Thu May 03, 2018 2:36 pm

pdp wrote:
I do have a feeling they’ll need a second base soon as Luton is cramped, and I mean REALLY cramped at peak time. For example, there’s a line of 6-8 Wizz flights that land around 07h30 to 08h00 every day and with the sheer amount of Wizz, Blue, Ryanair and easyJet flights at that time I can’t see Luton expanding too much more. Partially through ramp space, partially the runway (heavily-loaded aircraft have to backtrack to takeoff), and partially because at peak time the terminal resembles the Northern Line at rush hour.

Wizzair flies from London Gatwick to Bucharest. Maybe they could start some other key capitals like WAW, SOF, BUD or IEV from LGW.

sassiciai

Thu May 03, 2018 2:53 pm

Wizzair has been flying UK flights for ages, so the thread title "Wizzair launches UK flights" is a bit misleading. Maybe "Wizzair secures its UK air operator’s certificate (AOC) & operating licence" would be a better one

PatrickZ80

Thu May 03, 2018 2:55 pm

Gatwick is just as cramped as Luton, maybe even more. There's little space left at Stansted (where Wizzair currently doesn't fly). The only real option is Southend as it's the only London airport that isn't slot controlled.

However it doesn't have to be London, the AOC is valid in the whole UK. They could base aircraft in Doncaster, Prestwick, etc.

pdp

Thu May 03, 2018 4:11 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Gatwick is just as cramped as Luton, maybe even more. There's little space left at Stansted (where Wizzair currently doesn't fly). The only real option is Southend as it's the only London airport that isn't slot controlled.

However it doesn't have to be London, the AOC is valid in the whole UK. They could base aircraft in Doncaster, Prestwick, etc.

Perhaps East Midlands or Birmingham (bit cramped itself)? Derby and Coventry have high Eastern European populations and a bit of competition for Ryanair never hurt!

[email protected]

Thu May 03, 2018 5:20 pm

Luton is Wizz's most-served airport with 1,602 this month (May), up from 1,354 in May 2017. #2 is Budapest with 1,181.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Armodeen

Thu May 03, 2018 7:51 pm

hohd wrote:
Wish they would operate Liverpool to London area. No one operates that route.

I would imagine a LPL base is on the horizon.

PlymSpotter

Thu May 03, 2018 9:06 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:

The problems are different. LTN has runway capacity but is beginning to lack parking stands, whilst Gatwick is lacking runway capacity and has adequate parking. At the times its likely that WizzAir would be interested in serving LGW there is adequate capacity to launch some flights, I should think the issue is competing against easyJet.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

pdp

Thu May 03, 2018 9:09 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

The problems are different. LTN has runway capacity but is beginning to lack parking stands, whilst Gatwick is lacking runway capacity and has adequate parking. At the times its likely that WizzAir would be interested in serving LGW there is adequate capacity to launch some flights, I should think the issue is competing against easyJet.

They already compete with easyJet in home territory at Luton, so that shouldn't be an issue. With the runway, about 07h00 until 08h00 on a morning there's a queue of aircraft landing and taking-off, however there's no room to realistically extend the taxi routes or runway (which is hilariously short).

CrawleyBen

Fri May 04, 2018 8:41 am

SCQ83 wrote:
pdp wrote:

Wizzair flies from London Gatwick to Bucharest. Maybe they could start some other key capitals like WAW, SOF, BUD or IEV from LGW.

I've often wondered why Wizz operates only 1 route from Gatwick, yet the bulk of their UK ops are based out of Luton. Anyone have any idea why at all? I'm just curious more than anything else.

Cheers

Ben

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos