klm617

Re: OAG Changes 5/6/2018:DL Drops CVG-XNA; 3M Drops MCO-FPO

Mon May 07, 2018 2:07 am

RetiredNWA wrote:
The armchair airline CEO’s on this website have absolutely no idea what they’re talking about when it comes down to right-sizing an operation to maximize profitability - that’s the end game of every airline - period. The airline industry is and always will be, inherently fluid based upon a multitude of factors. Those of us with real experience and knowledge are always beat-up in posts because we don’t agree that Pan Am isn’t flying a 747-300SP with radial engines from Frankfurt to Brisbane via Little Rock because it makes sense on flight simulator due to fuel burn or simulated winds, or because we offer a real-world explanation as to why Delta doesn’t fly the Concorde five times daily between XNA and JFK.

I challenge any of these armchair CEO’s to call up Revenue Management, Fleet Planning, Schedule Planning or any other department with knowledge and know-how and ask them the same insane questions they’ve posted regarding XNA. They’d say: “Oh, you’re calling from airliners dot net? You have NO idea what goes on here!”

Enilria’s posts are always informative.

The quality of this site has gone tremendously downhill since the inception of free membership and lack of moderation.

And what many airlines types on here fail to realize is the customer's perspective. There is such a thing as customer service in the service industry. Why if I'm flying from Anchorage to Detroit should I be force through Atlanta when SEA, MSP and to a lessor extent SLC adding several hours to my trip. While I get that airlines are in the business of making money that doesn't give them the right to inflict what ever suits their specific business needs no matter how much it inconveniences the end user. Right sizing for customer needs and corporate needs are two completely different things.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

jetbluefan1

Mon May 07, 2018 11:52 am

Thanks enilria!

SANFan wrote:
enilria wrote:
This seems like a significant cutback. Probably creating spares to fix operational problems.
B6 BOS-BWI JUL 6>5 AUG 6>5
B6 BOS-SAN JUL 3>2 AUG 3>2

I don't know if your comment refers to the second route listed or only the first but I have a different thought about BOS-SAN's cut.

I think Blue was expecting a move by AS this summer to double up on their SAN-BOS service -- by going daily-double -- or perhaps for DL to enter the market, but neither happened so Blue backed off. For them to cut a flight right in the middle of summer's peak season seems extremely odd. For whatever reason it was done, I'm sorry to see the cut.

By the way, Enilria, I haven't said it for a while but I do very much appreciate your effort with these weekly threads and always look forward to reading thru them every Sunday morning! Thank you.

bb

It seems B6 is adding 1 or 2 spares for each fleet type (E190/A320/A321//MINT) for the peak summer season. While I'm surprised to see the close-in cut, BOS-SAN's third flight makes the most sense to be sacrificed. Other Mint markets are either more profitable or would be noncompetitive if sacrificed (i.e. BOS-SEA at 3x is arguably more important than BOS-SAN given the competition), and as you pointed out there really isn't much competition in this market.

JFK-SAN also appears to be extremely profitable - it's higher yielding than JFK-SFO - so I wouldn't be surprised to see a third flight added at some point as new aircraft enter the fleet. JFK/BOS-SAN should all do well at 3x and I could even see them try FLL-SAN in a Mint configuration.

enilria
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2018 1:29 pm

jetbluefan1 wrote:
Thanks enilria!

:)
TYSflyer wrote:
Btw, thanks as always for the Sunday morning updates. I was just wondering the other day how long have you been doing these? I have been following them it seems like for years.

I believe May 21, 2013. So, actually, you have revealed we are coming up on the 5 year anniversary. :)

tphuang

Mon May 07, 2018 1:35 pm

jetbluefan1 wrote:
Thanks enilria!

SANFan wrote:
enilria wrote:
This seems like a significant cutback. Probably creating spares to fix operational problems.

I don't know if your comment refers to the second route listed or only the first but I have a different thought about BOS-SAN's cut.

I think Blue was expecting a move by AS this summer to double up on their SAN-BOS service -- by going daily-double -- or perhaps for DL to enter the market, but neither happened so Blue backed off. For them to cut a flight right in the middle of summer's peak season seems extremely odd. For whatever reason it was done, I'm sorry to see the cut.

By the way, Enilria, I haven't said it for a while but I do very much appreciate your effort with these weekly threads and always look forward to reading thru them every Sunday morning! Thank you.

bb

It seems B6 is adding 1 or 2 spares for each fleet type (E190/A320/A321//MINT) for the peak summer season. While I'm surprised to see the close-in cut, BOS-SAN's third flight makes the most sense to be sacrificed. Other Mint markets are either more profitable or would be noncompetitive if sacrificed (i.e. BOS-SEA at 3x is arguably more important than BOS-SAN given the competition), and as you pointed out there really isn't much competition in this market.

JFK-SAN also appears to be extremely profitable - it's higher yielding than JFK-SFO - so I wouldn't be surprised to see a third flight added at some point as new aircraft enter the fleet. JFK/BOS-SAN should all do well at 3x and I could even see them try FLL-SAN in a Mint configuration.

This also happened last summer, which is never great when it’s supposed to be the most profitable part of the year. I hope they have this figured out for next year. Interesting that Santo Domingo got another flight even as this is happening. They must be raking it in on that route.

jetmatt777

Mon May 07, 2018 1:59 pm

enilria wrote:
jetbluefan1 wrote:
Thanks enilria!

TYSflyer wrote:
Btw, thanks as always for the Sunday morning updates. I was just wondering the other day how long have you been doing these? I have been following them it seems like for years.

I believe May 21, 2013. So, actually, you have revealed we are coming up on the 5 year anniversary. :)

Are you sure? I remember seeing these updates much earlier than 2013. But perhaps my memory is failing me. It seems that they used to be on Tuesdays.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

jetbluefan1

Mon May 07, 2018 9:43 pm

tphuang wrote:
jetbluefan1 wrote:
Thanks enilria!

SANFan wrote:

bb

This also happened last summer, which is never great when it’s supposed to be the most profitable part of the year. I hope they have this figured out for next year. Interesting that Santo Domingo got another flight even as this is happening. They must be raking it in on that route.

Agreed, although I don't recall it happening to any Mint routes last year (granted there are a bunch more this year, so they probably feel they need a spare given the bigger schedule). I'm just surprised that they were even selling the flights for the summer and pulled them so late. I wonder what the thought process was there.

And yeah, I'm sure B6 is killing it to SDQ (and the DR in general). With 7x from JFK and 1x from EWR, this is probably the most capacity B6 has had from NYC to SDQ during any summer. Quite impressive how they have dominated this market.

TYSflyer

Tue May 08, 2018 1:20 am

enilria wrote:
jetbluefan1 wrote:
Thanks enilria!

TYSflyer wrote:

Wow that is quite impressive! Looking forward to the next 5 years. Thanks again!

XNA2ASG

Thu May 10, 2018 1:08 am

enilria wrote:
RetiredNWA wrote:
The quality of this site has gone tremendously downhill since the inception of free membership and lack of moderation.

That's true, but there were always a lot of "kids" who didn't know what they were doing on here, although that's fine as long as they don't think at 16 years old they know how an airline works beyond the superficial. A.net is a great place to learn a lot. There's probably a lot more to learn on here than there is in an aviation degree, but separating the wheat from the chaff is impossible for a youngster and there's a lot of both on a.net.
RetiredNWA wrote:
Enilria’s posts are always informative.

Cubsrule wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

I travel for work almost weekly and I can say there is definitely a mix of both, I have a lot of trips leaving at 5am/6am and returning at 5pm-8pm in the evening. I sometimes have to fly out the evening before for an early morning meeting so it just depends. Although, it I have noticed on this forum that a lot of people think the bulk of biz travelers are doing day trips (which is not the case).

Same here. It largely depends on timing of my business and geography. But I have plenty of 1:00 meetings, and if those are in places like Chicago, New York, or Dallas that aren't that far and have many flights, I may well go the morning of. Day trips that involve distances over about 1,000 miles and/or require a connection are tough and I try to avoid those.

cvgComair wrote:
This is actually a perfect example of Delta pushing connections through ATL and not using other hubs effectively. Sure CVG isn't connected to many smaller airports in the NE, but the demand from those to XNA is pretty much 0. Also, CVG has gained seats to the northeast since 2015, so there is no reason that connections should be decreasing on the route unless DL is purposely routing pax through ATL instead.

Because the gauge is so much bigger, and CASM is thus lower, at ATL, using ATL may actually be more cost-effective despite the more circuitous routings.

I thought this would be a slow weak, but XNA is apparently near and dear to a lot of people's hearts.

We do have quite the fanbase to XNA. In fact I started a group on Instagram and found lots of people in a year and a half that are aviation enthusiasts in NW Arkansas and at XNA.

pezzy669

Thu May 10, 2018 2:20 am

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
How many of you actually travel for business? This notion of same day trips of the much lauded “business traveler” is so overplayed and overhyped on a.net especially in markets where is doesn’t really exist.

I travel fairly extensively for work, and know or observe the executives that travel and they don’t do same day travel.

Outside of a handful of the biggest cities where hotel prices can be obscene or you are talking about top level executives you don’t see that behavior much. Even for a single day of business most people will travel in the day prior.

XNA is not a day trip type of market. And guess what, some of the biggest drivers of business travel in and out of XNA are actually many of the consultancies and technology implementation firms that are doing a lot of M-TH or M-F weekly commutes to and from their home offices.

just because you don't travel that pattern and the individuals you interact with on a plane don't do a same day turnaround doesn't mean that's not the way many others of us do. Same day flights in and out for a meeting for business or not limited to " a handful of cities."

plenty of people in business have to fly into places for a meeting or presentation and they're done after a couple of hours. while there are some who will love XNA and the surrounding area many others are preferring to get back to their sophistication and comfort of Home same day. or really any biz trip, but I know from my historical trips there the less time spent in XNA the better

^ This.

80% of my trips are same day turnarounds because I would rather be at home than sleeping in another hotel room. It does make for long days but to me its worth it to be home at night.

enilria
Topic Author

Thu May 10, 2018 1:30 pm

XNA2ASG wrote:

We do have quite the fanbase to XNA. In fact I started a group on Instagram and found lots of people in a year and a half that are aviation enthusiasts in NW Arkansas and at XNA.

Appears they are also on a.net!

cvgComair

Sat May 12, 2018 1:20 pm

Delta reloaded CVG-XNA effective April 2, 2019 with 1x/day CRJ. It looks like it was just a seasonal suspension.

enilria
Topic Author

Sat May 12, 2018 2:43 pm

cvgComair wrote:
Delta reloaded CVG-XNA effective April 2, 2019 with 1x/day CRJ. It looks like it was just a seasonal suspension.

Two thoughts on this...

1) They are dropping it in early August, so the season for CVG-XNA is April-July? Makes no sense.
2) It's all business, there is no seasonality of consequence.

I suspect this is some sort of negotiation between P&G and DL. DL probably said "we'll give it another try next year, but only if P&G..."

Abeam79

Sat May 12, 2018 3:43 pm

B6 FLL-EWR JUL 4>3 AUG 4>3
B6 JFK-BOS JUL 7>6 AUG 6>5
B6 JFK-IAD JUL 3>1.9 AUG 3>1.9
B6 JFK-POS JUL 2>1.0 AUG 2>1.0 SEP 1.1>1.0
B6 JFK-RDU JUL 3>1.9 AUG 3>1.9
B6 JFK-SDQ JUL 6>7 AUG 6>7
B6 MCO-EWR JUL 7>6 AUG 7>6
B6 MCO-PVD JUL 2>1.0 AUG 2>1.0
B6 MCO-RIC JUL 2>1.0 AUG 2>1.0
B6 MCO-SJU JUL 6>5 AUG 6>5

From what I understand it’s to expedite the delayed cabin restyling they are about to ramp up.
Using the time in the lull period to get it going more expeditiously

jb1087xna

Sat May 12, 2018 3:44 pm

Still that odd schedule and on a CRJ as mentioned.

enilria wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

Two thoughts on this...

1) They are dropping it in early August, so the season for CVG-XNA is April-July? Makes no sense.

I suspect this is some sort of negotiation between P&G and DL. DL probably said "we'll give it another try next year, but only if P&G..."

April to July does seem a little tight. I could see them avoiding it in November and December (in fact they've normally trimmed it back during nearly any holiday week in any month), but not for two thirds of the year.

Midwestindy

Sat May 12, 2018 3:52 pm

jb1087xna wrote:

enilria wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

Two thoughts on this...

April to July does seem a little tight. I could see them avoiding it in November and December (in fact they've normally trimmed it back during nearly any holiday week in any month), but not for two thirds of the year.

Q4(October, November, and December) is when the route has the most PDEW
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

ADrum23

Sat May 12, 2018 3:57 pm

jb1087xna wrote:

enilria wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

Two thoughts on this...

So what will happen when DL gets rid of the remaining CRJ's? Will they cut it for good since this route can't seem to handle anything bigger?

jb1087xna

Sat May 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
jb1087xna wrote:

enilria wrote:
Two thoughts on this...

Q4(October, November, and December) is when the route has the most PDEW

I'm shocked by that. Basically three to four weeks during that timeframe could be chalked up to holiday schedules.

michman

Sat May 12, 2018 5:19 pm

ADrum23 wrote:

So what will happen when DL gets rid of the remaining CRJ's? Will they cut it for good since this route can't seem to handle anything bigger?

DL has never said they are getting rid of all their CRJ's. The just said they are reducing the count to 125 (they had 343 50-seaters back in 2012). They had 128 as of the most recent quarterly report.

kann123air

Sat May 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Huge XNA fan and sophomore at the University of Arkansas here. I'm thrilled at the amount of attention our little airport gets on this forum. :)

My analytical chemistry professor is from the CVG area and was a regular on the route. Maybe I should wait until final grades are posted before I give her this news. :)

klm617 wrote:
Hopefully with XNA-CVG being dropped they will add back XNA-DTW

I thought the same. Unfortunately, that's probably unlikely.

jb1087xna wrote:
Daily traffic between XNA and CVG purely based on P&G/WM can't have been much. If it was much, then the local office is doing something wrong.

Agreed. I was suprised to see this route survive as long as it did, honestly.

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
now Southwest can start that new XNA Southwest hub a few people are waiting for...with international service and Hawaii flights

They're welcome to do so, anytime. :)

enilria wrote:
I thought this would be a slow weak, but XNA is apparently near and dear to a lot of people's hearts.

Most definitely!

XNA2ASG wrote:

And quite a group it is! We're a pretty tight-knit squad and we meet up often to spot, especially during football season when opposing teams fly in A321s and 757s. The rampers at the FBO are pretty awesome and they often let us walk around those aircraft when they stay overnight.

Not to stray too far from the topic at hand, but we XNA nerds are stoked at the fact that AA is reinstating mainline service starting in July with A319s to DFW. Certainly exciting news for our little airport.

Amrit
Going for great

WaywardMemphian

Sat May 12, 2018 6:32 pm

kann123air wrote:
Huge XNA fan and sophomore at the University of Arkansas here. I'm thrilled at the amount of attention our little airport gets on this forum. :)

My analytical chemistry professor is from the CVG area and was a regular on the route. Maybe I should wait until final grades are posted before I give her this news. :)

klm617 wrote:

jb1087xna wrote:
Daily traffic between XNA and CVG purely based on P&G/WM can't have been much. If it was much, then the local office is doing something wrong.

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
now Southwest can start that new XNA Southwest hub a few people are waiting for...with international service and Hawaii flights

enilria wrote:

Most definitely!

XNA2ASG wrote:

And quite a group it is! We're a pretty tight-knit squad and we meet up often to spot, especially during football season when opposing teams fly in A321s and 757s. The rampers at the FBO are pretty awesome and they often let us walk around those aircraft when they stay overnight.

Not to stray too far from the topic at hand, but we XNA nerds are stoked at the fact that AA is reinstating mainline service starting in July with A319s to DFW. Certainly exciting news for our little airport.

Amrit

As an U of A student, I'm sure you know about the Texas kids coming here and why WN doing DAL with it's further Texas connections and DEN wouldn't be such a stretch. I take it that you may be from the Metroplex considering your excitement of the AA 319 service.

(Timer set for Prunes to flame)

kann123air

Sat May 12, 2018 9:15 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
kann123air wrote:

klm617 wrote:

jb1087xna wrote:

LovePrunesAnet wrote:

enilria wrote:

Most definitely!

XNA2ASG wrote:

Amrit

As an U of A student, I'm sure you know about the Texas kids coming here and why WN doing DAL with it's further Texas connections and DEN wouldn't be such a stretch. I take it that you may be from the Metroplex considering your excitement of the AA 319 service.

(Timer set for Prunes to flame)

Yes, indeed. DAL-XNA would print money.

I'm not from the metroplex but I'm a huge AA and DFW fanboy. :)
Going for great

jb1087xna

Sat May 12, 2018 10:14 pm

kann123air wrote:

I didn't realize that A319 was happening. Good for XNA. Seems odd for it only to be one flight a day and not one of the morning ones. I guess I'm used to DL's strategy of having the first flight of the morning to ATL on mainline in a lot of southern outstations, even when that may be the only mainline flight.

XNA2ASG

Sun May 20, 2018 7:19 pm

jb1087xna wrote:
kann123air wrote:

I didn't realize that A319 was happening. Good for XNA. Seems odd for it only to be one flight a day and not one of the morning ones. I guess I'm used to DL's strategy of having the first flight of the morning to ATL on mainline in a lot of southern outstations, even when that may be the only mainline flight.

Yep, July fifth through August twentieth. 1x daily in the afternoon 3-4PM I think.

dfwjim1

Sun May 20, 2018 7:38 pm

Thanks for posting this every Sunday. Changing the topic a bit I could not help but notice that DFW- ASE is going to 4 per day in January, 2019.

SumChristianus

Sun May 20, 2018 11:44 pm

XNA2ASG wrote:
jb1087xna wrote:
kann123air wrote:

Yep, July fifth through August twentieth. 1x daily in the afternoon 3-4PM I think.

I'm going to start a topic on that, the difference between DL and others on scheduling. Delta seems, when it runs mainline (outside of MSP at least which has the heavier banks in the midday) to a station, to start with a late evening arrival early morning outbound from the outstation. UA, when it has mainline service, isn't always the same, it can be a "RON", but often its a middday turn that is the only mainline flight offfered. AA is similiar, as CLT-IND sees one mainline flight per day a B737-800 in the afternoon.

Wonder why?
UA DL LH NW AA --- Next IND-ATL-DEN: WN 73G/738
"Born in Wonder, Brought to Wisdom"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos