727LOVER
Topic Author

Walt Disney World had an airport?

Sun May 06, 2018 8:13 pm

Y E S !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiXEsWMXh7U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzyYKVmm3Jo

Left one in original colors. Notice anything about that tail? :bouncy:
Last edited by atcsundevil on Sun May 06, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title for clarity
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

enilria

Re: Walt Disney World had an airport with airline service?

Sun May 06, 2018 8:21 pm

Didn't know there was air service. The airfield is near the Transportation and Ticket Center. It's still there. They use it for bus training.

I think the EPCOT monorail line obstructed the approach.

slcdeltarumd11

Sun May 06, 2018 8:27 pm

Airline service? I see now they wanted an airport and have land but it was mostly for their corporate planes. McCoy grew at this time from nothing to something.

DTWorld

Sun May 06, 2018 8:32 pm

I vaguely recall that plane with the blue stripe the last time I was at MGM Studios (aka Hollywood Studios). I haven't been there in years though, and likely wouldn't be back anytime soon as I've had more than my fill of the place.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Sun May 06, 2018 8:38 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Airline service? I see now they wanted an airport and have land but it was mostly for their corporate planes. McCoy grew at this time from nothing to something.

If you watched the videos, it was Shawnee Airlines with a shuttle service from MCO. That would count, wouldn't it?

EDIT: Executive Airlines as well
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

MO11

Sun May 06, 2018 8:44 pm

enilria

Re: Walt Disney World had an airport?

Sun May 06, 2018 9:18 pm

727LOVER wrote:

Y E S !

Airport location
28.4002Lat -87.5714Lon
The runway has a lot of equipment parked on it. The ramp I think is where they usually do bus training. It's just East of the MK parking lot.

AVLAirlineFreq

Sun May 06, 2018 9:35 pm

There's a great story about this on the Atlas Obscura website: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/sin ... ld-airport.

sunking737

Mon May 07, 2018 2:03 am

As a former WDW cast member, it (the strip) was going to be used by Mr. Disney, when he visited from CA. but he passed away before WDW would open. His Gulfstream 1 was located at Hollywood Studios, on the back lot tour, behind the stunt show stadium. That whole area is now being turned into Star Wars Land. I don't know the location of the plane currently. I worked at the Studios from 2007 until 2012.
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"
Retired MSP Ramper

Super80Fan

Mon May 07, 2018 2:31 am

Yep STOL port runway is still there, deactivated though and used for parking/storage. Was briefly served by Shawnee Airlines DHC-6 Twin Otter's. Contrary to popular opinion as well Walt's Gulfstream did not land at this air strip, it landed on the highway beside Hollywood Studios.

Also interesting to note there was also an ultralight airport called Epcot Center Ultralight Flightpark that featured a circular runway. It closed for use in 1992 when the air shows stopped at Epcot, and is now the site of the Art of Animation Resort.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

klm617

Mon May 07, 2018 10:33 am

727LOVER wrote:

Y E S !

The old Eastern bird the original official airline of Wald Disney World
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

bevan7

Mon May 07, 2018 11:39 am

https://goo.gl/maps/owoy62VwbvA2 Here's a map of the location

jfklganyc

Mon May 07, 2018 11:39 am

Disney brought everything else in house, wouldnt surprise me if they one day did this.

You now, disgustingly, have to go thru metal detectors to get into a park, so they have the instrusive security part down!

cloudboy

Mon May 07, 2018 12:39 pm

You used to be able to drive on it for a while. They had tested out this idea using rumble strips that would supposedly play the tune of "when you wish upon a star", but it didn't really work. The airfield was not well placed, and I think they realized some kind of aviation incident would be really bad for them.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

flymco753

Mon May 07, 2018 1:56 pm

Good old Epcot Center airport! I know exactly where that was, only about 5 minutes from my place.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

727LOVER
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2018 3:12 pm

klm617 wrote:
The old Eastern bird the original official airline of Wald Disney World

In that 1st clip, you see part of a commercial.

Here's the full clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdTi-rsjLE0

LOL....don't forget this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dREnFrwhy8g

Just for fun...in Spanish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKgf11yX6lY

flymco753

Mon May 07, 2018 3:19 pm

Eastern Airlines sponsored a ride at the Magic Kingdom called "If you had wings". Afterwards, Delta became the official sponsor and called it "Delta dreamflight". However, I barely remember it because I was only 2 when Dreamflight closed, but remember only that it was one of my early interests in aviation.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

vfw614

Mon May 07, 2018 3:26 pm

smokeybandit

Mon May 07, 2018 3:26 pm

Well they already have an ATC center there, "Epcot Center"

OK, bad joke, I know

enilria

Mon May 07, 2018 3:32 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Eastern Airlines sponsored a ride at the Magic Kingdom called "If you had wings". Afterwards, Delta became the official sponsor and called it "Delta dreamflight". However, I barely remember it because I was only 2 when Dreamflight closed, but remember only that it was one of my early interests in aviation.

If You Had Wings was great. The Three Caballeros ride in the Mexico pavilion is more or less an homage to it. Very similar except on water. Hopefully they won't shoehorn Coco theming into that ride.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2018 3:34 pm

---------------------------------------------
Last edited by 727LOVER on Mon May 07, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flymco753

Mon May 07, 2018 3:37 pm

enilria wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

If You Had Wings was great. The Three Caballeros ride in the Mexico pavilion is more or less an homage to it. Very similar except on water. Hopefully they won't shoehorn Coco theming into that ride.
Unfortunately it's already planned. Similar to the way they destroyed Maelstrom with the new frozen ride.

enilria

Mon May 07, 2018 3:39 pm

cloudboy wrote:
You used to be able to drive on it for a while. They had tested out this idea using rumble strips that would supposedly play the tune of "when you wish upon a star", but it didn't really work. The airfield was not well placed, and I think they realized some kind of aviation incident would be really bad for them.

Again as I posted above, it closed when they decided to install the EPCOT monorail line. As you can see from this...
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@28.40148 ... a=!3m1!1e3
...the elevated monorail track is only about 50 feet from the runway on the South end. The monorail line to EPCOT was not in the original plan for the park. That's why the station setup at Transportation and Ticket Center is pretty poorly laid out.

N766UA

Mon May 07, 2018 5:33 pm

flymco753 wrote:
enilria wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Unfortunately it's already planned. Similar to the way they destroyed Maelstrom with the new frozen ride.

The Maelstrom is gone?!

flymco753

Mon May 07, 2018 5:55 pm

N766UA wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
enilria wrote:

The Maelstrom is gone?!
Yes it is, it has been replaced by a Frozen boat ride. It still uses the Maelstrom track though, you still go backwards and go down the hill afterwards. It's obnoxious for adults, basically the opposite of what Malestrom was.

Conniston

Mon May 07, 2018 8:04 pm

enilria wrote:
cloudboy wrote:

Again as I posted above, it closed when they decided to install the EPCOT monorail line. As you can see from this...
...the elevated monorail track is only about 50 feet from the runway on the South end. The monorail line to EPCOT was not in the original plan for the park. That's why the station setup at Transportation and Ticket Center is pretty poorly laid out.

I don't know where you get that from, using Google Earth I'm measuring about 400ft from the monorail to the extended runway centerline. I'd have no qualms landing a Twin Otter there.

Shawnee Airlines ceased operations before EPCOT center even existed, the monorail was not the cause of the eventual airport closure.

enilria

Tue May 08, 2018 1:14 pm

Conniston wrote:
enilria wrote:
cloudboy wrote:

I don't know where you get that from, using Google Earth I'm measuring about 400ft from the monorail to the extended runway centerline. I'd have no qualms landing a Twin Otter there.

Shawnee Airlines ceased operations before EPCOT center even existed, the monorail was not the cause of the eventual airport closure.

You know they had to build EPCOT. It didn't just appear one day. It took many years to build and plan. They shut the airport when the plans for the EPCOT monorail line were approved.
In the late 1970s the elevated monorail was extended near the end of the runway, making landing a plane there much too dangerous.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/sin ... ld-airport

Fine 400'. Still too close.
Last edited by enilria on Tue May 08, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cloudboy

Tue May 08, 2018 1:15 pm

The airport never really caught on. Epcot was always in the plans, but the plans themselves were very fluid at the time. While never really talked about, I think the big fear with the STOL port was that there would be too much risk of an incident which would cause lots of bad publicity. While it took a while to formally close it was rarely used. MCO was fairly close to property, so it was just as easy for their corporate aircraft to land there and just drive, rather than having to switch to a smaller aircraft. Even when they tried Ultralights, they ended up having to use a different field.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

tjh8402

Tue May 08, 2018 3:11 pm

It’s funny how few people know about the STOL ports history. People are always surprised when we’re out on there and I tell them it’s a runway.

Conniston

Tue May 08, 2018 3:23 pm

enilria wrote:
Conniston wrote:
enilria wrote:

You know they had to build EPCOT. It didn't just appear one day. It took many years to build and plan. They shut the airport when the plans for the EPCOT monorail line were approved.
In the late 1970s the elevated monorail was extended near the end of the runway, making landing a plane there much too dangerous.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/sin ... ld-airport

Fine 400'. Still too close.

Too close? Based on what? The "much too dangerous" comment sounds like personal opinion of the journalist wrote that Atlas Obscura article. Some of the tree tops in the area are taller than the monorail.

Read cloudboy's post for the more likely reason for the airport closure. There's a reason Shawnee stopped flying there long before the airport closed.

enilria

Tue May 08, 2018 7:46 pm

Conniston wrote:
Too close? Based on what? The "much too dangerous" comment sounds like personal opinion of the journalist wrote that Atlas Obscura article. Some of the tree tops in the area are taller than the monorail.

Read cloudboy's post for the more likely reason for the airport closure. There's a reason Shawnee stopped flying there long before the airport closed.

You realize a tree probably doesn't have 300 people riding in it?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos