Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Narfish641
Topic Author

Alaska And The Virgin America A320 Family: Any Cabin Retrofits After The Merger?

Mon May 07, 2018 4:46 am

Good evening! So alot of you guys are aware about the merger between Virgin America and Alaska. In a very recent thread, it was mentioned that it will be bit of a process before the 63+ A320 family aircraft are in the full Alaska livery, so at least we still have the livery for quite sometime. However, now that the merger has been completed, I was wondering now that Alaska has the ex-Virgin America A320 family aircraft in their fleet, have they done any cabin refreshment to some of the aircrafts (New seats for example)?

Here is an extra question I also had in mind (Probably stupid yet curious at the same time), since majority of the airframes flying around still has the original VX cabin, I wanted to know if anything like the IFE seatback screens were still operational and if there were any changes besides staff in the cabin? As always, thank you for answers and have a great week!
Last edited by Narfish641 on Mon May 07, 2018 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flew on:
SWA 737 738

hiflyeras

Re: Alaska And The Virgin America A320 Family: Any Cabin Retrofits After The Merger?

Mon May 07, 2018 4:50 am

Retrofitof interiors and livery will be starting this fall, after the busy summer schedule allows for aircraft to be pulled from service. Whole project completed early 2020 I believe.

usxguy

Re: Alaska And The Virgin America A320 Family: Any Cabin Retrofits After The Merger?

Mon May 07, 2018 4:52 am

RED is going to be active until October, when the VX FA group will have the Alaska handhelds and aircraft provisioned for the Alaska personal video players (handheld). The safety video, well, is still going.

1st plane goes in for retrofit in October as well - 3 rows of F, 3 Premium. They will have the "new" Alaska F seat, which is a step below the Copa "long" F/J seat... will have foot rests, good recline, and headrests.
xx

EA CO AS

Mon May 07, 2018 8:16 am

ALL AS aircraft - the entire Boeing fleet and all 70 former VX Airbus planes - are getting the interiors redone.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

wedgetail737

Mon May 07, 2018 12:22 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
ALL AS aircraft - the entire Boeing fleet and all 70 former VX Airbus planes - are getting the interiors redone.

Including the -700's? Those airplanes need to be upgraded badly, especially with electrical outlets.

hiflyeras

Mon May 07, 2018 12:31 pm

Yes, -700's are getting the refit as well. :)

USAavdork

Mon May 07, 2018 2:06 pm

Hi Everyone! Hope everyone had a good weekend. I fly AS all the time and I've flown VX a few times recently. I'm excited to see the new cabins and hope there's some fun surprises. I know in pictures we've seen blue mood lighting but I hope they also throw in other colors- like the green on the tails- or some pop of color. Everyone is doing blue these days.
One thing I love about AS is there BOB food. The hot food and Chesse plate are amazing. VX food on the other hand is blah. Do we know if VX has switched to AS catering? If I recall VX planes didn't have ovens in coach so I was wondering how that all was going to work???

MIflyer12

Mon May 07, 2018 2:13 pm

Are posters EA CO AS or hiflyeras in a position to describe, in some detail, the features of retrofits by type?

ricport

Mon May 07, 2018 3:06 pm

USAavdork wrote:
Hi Everyone! Hope everyone had a good weekend. I fly AS all the time and I've flown VX a few times recently. I'm excited to see the new cabins and hope there's some fun surprises. I know in pictures we've seen blue mood lighting but I hope they also throw in other colors- like the green on the tails- or some pop of color. Everyone is doing blue these days.
One thing I love about AS is there BOB food. The hot food and Chesse plate are amazing. VX food on the other hand is blah. Do we know if VX has switched to AS catering? If I recall VX planes didn't have ovens in coach so I was wondering how that all was going to work???

Glad they got rid of the dreadful Seattle-brewed liquors and replaced them with global brands (except for that God-awful Tito's), as well.

FlightLevel360

Mon May 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Not happy they are getting rid of seatback IFE. I'm fine without it on flights less than 3 hours (which is pretty much all west coast flights), but it's downright unacceptable for a flight the length of SFO/LAX - East Coast.
To me, it will always be:
- Bombardier CSeries
- Airbus A321neoLR and A321neoXLR
- EMBRACER ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, and ERJ-195
- MITSUBUSHI MRJ

Anti narrowbody-long range-twinjet gang. Long live the A380 and 747!

FA9295

Mon May 07, 2018 3:44 pm

Does anyone know what's happening to N625VA? It's been at GSO since March 30th.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N625VA

EA CO AS

Mon May 07, 2018 4:26 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Are posters EA CO AS or hiflyeras in a position to describe, in some detail, the features of retrofits by type?

http://investor.alaskaair.com/static-fi ... 7a1ee1b1de

Scroll to slides 40 through 43 in the deck to get an idea of what all Boeing and Airbus cabins will look like once the retrofits are complete. In short:

o New bulkheads
o New carpet
o Updated interior lighting
o New FC seats with footrests and integrated power
o Updated Y seats with tablet holders and drink holders along with integrated power
o Gogo 2Ku high speed satellite wifi and free streaming IFE (can also stream users' own Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, or other platforms)
o 41" pitch in FC
o 35" pitch in PC

This will be across all 737/A319/A320/A321 aircraft.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

PlanesNTrains

Mon May 07, 2018 5:25 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

http://investor.alaskaair.com/static-fi ... 7a1ee1b1de

Scroll to slides 40 through 43 in the deck to get an idea of what all Boeing and Airbus cabins will look like once the retrofits are complete. In short:

o New bulkheads
o New carpet
o Updated interior lighting
o New FC seats with footrests and integrated power
o Updated Y seats with tablet holders and drink holders along with integrated power
o Gogo 2Ku high speed satellite wifi and free streaming IFE (can also stream users' own Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, or other platforms)
o 41" pitch in FC
o 35" pitch in PC

This will be across all 737/A319/A320/A321 aircraft.

Thanks for the link. Interesting read.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

username21

Mon May 07, 2018 6:21 pm

Q400 cabin restyling is to begin soon as well, as far as I know. It seems like the promise of keeping the maroon interior that was made when Horizon got AS-branded might be ending. Any updates?

username21

Mon May 07, 2018 6:24 pm

USAavdork wrote:

Hot food in coach on AS is going away any minute now, unfortunately. One of the great thing that pushed AS service over the likes of AA/DL/UA (and WN, obviously). Sad to see it go. Cheese plate is here to stay.

https://www.sfgate.com/chris-mcginnis/a ... 857341.php

WkndWanderer

Mon May 07, 2018 6:36 pm

USAavdork wrote:

Unfortunately, Virgin's Airbus equipment was not equipped with ovens in economy galleys, so eventually everything will be standardized to cold menu items in economy. I will definitely miss the Tom Douglas coconut chicken and the breakfast fritatta.

EA CO AS

Mon May 07, 2018 7:38 pm

FA9295 wrote:
Does anyone know what's happening to N625VA? It's been at GSO since March 30th.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N625VA

D2 check and swapping out the #1 engine.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos