Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Kadish
Topic Author

Iberia year round to LAX and BOS.

Mon May 07, 2018 4:29 pm

Hi there,

Ive just found this article (in spanish only) saying that they will opérate the route the whole year, moreover its laso said that SFO is a huge success.
Can u confirm this?

The article:
http://noticiaslogisticaytransporte.com ... 20046.html

Cheers

LAXintl

Re: Iberia year round to LAX and BOS.

Mon May 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Yes was posted in the OAG threads couple weeks back.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

WingsOfLove

Mon May 07, 2018 5:48 pm

Kadish wrote:
they will opérate the route the whole year

IAG / AA increasing MAD TATL capacity to fight Norwegian?

Kadish
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2018 6:40 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Yes was posted in the OAG threads couple weeks back.

Do you know the frequencies ?
Thanks

Jayafe

Mon May 07, 2018 7:04 pm

WingsOfLove wrote:
Kadish wrote:

That fight is happening in BCN. DY opening in MAD is something that hasn't happened yet (but threatened of). I just see IB doing something to make money, which is unusual enough...

LupineChemist

Mon May 07, 2018 9:21 pm

This is great for me. So I guess still no plans to retire the 340s and they'll just be using the 350s for this growth. (maybe not directly but by reassigning from other routes that will get it)

airbazar

Mon May 07, 2018 9:24 pm

WingsOfLove wrote:
Kadish wrote:

Nah. Spain (and Portugal) are really hot items for American tourists right now. I think it's just IB/IAG seeing a clear opportunity to capitalize on that.

tobsw

Mon May 07, 2018 9:51 pm

Three weekly flights for BOS and LAX.

LAX is taking a break though, between mid-january to the end of frebruary there are no non-strop flights.

I think it´s still to early to say whether SFO is a success or not.

Also, it looks like the A340 will stay around for a while, allowing some expansion together with the A320 recently received (2 ex-Monarch A320, and an additional 2 A320-neo). On a related note, Iberia has opened a new round to recruit pilots.

r2rho

Tue May 15, 2018 11:56 am

Also, it looks like the A340 will stay around for a while, allowing some expansion together with the A320 recently received (2 ex-Monarch A320, and an additional 2 A320-neo). On a related note, Iberia has opened a new round to recruit pilots.

Those A346's will have to stay around, otherwise the numbers don't add up. There is a lot of route consolidation going on at IB right now: LAX & BOS year-round, frequency increases to EZE and SCL, less-than-daily routes like NRT gradually moving closer to daily.... except for BOS, all of them very long routes. This will more than occupy the newly incoming A350's, as IB currently doesn't exactly have idle aircraft sitting around.

I do wonder if IB shouldn't have kept around the fully paid for A343's a little bit longer, in a less premium configuration with lower utilization, like LH is doing with Jump & EW, flying them to leisure destinations.

airbazar

Tue May 15, 2018 12:49 pm

r2rho wrote:

Those A346's will have to stay around, otherwise the numbers don't add up. There is a lot of route consolidation going on at IB right now: LAX & BOS year-round, frequency increases to EZE and SCL, less-than-daily routes like NRT gradually moving closer to daily.... except for BOS, all of them very long routes. This will more than occupy the newly incoming A350's, as IB currently doesn't exactly have idle aircraft sitting around.

When is the first A350 scheduled to arrive and how many will they get in 2018?

a350lover

Sun May 27, 2018 8:20 am

r2rho wrote:
frequency increases to EZE and SCL,

This was 100% confirmed by Iberia CEO in press releases both in Buenos Aires and Bogotá. However, the aimed 10x weekly to BOG and the 17x weekly to EZE are definitely not on sale yet, and they were announced nearly a year ago. On the other hand, from one day to the other, SCL became 10x weekly. Anyone knows what happened to the EZE and BOG increases?

Maybe are they getting a bit more conservative with their expected growth due to the oil price increase?

asuflyer05

Sun May 27, 2018 2:07 pm

I look forward to them returning to IAD at some point in the future. Selfishly, it will make travel to the Canaries easier from the DC area.

dcajet

Sun May 27, 2018 3:19 pm

a350lover wrote:
r2rho wrote:
frequency increases to EZE and SCL,

This was 100% confirmed by Iberia CEO in press releases both in Buenos Aires and Bogotá. However, the aimed 10x weekly to BOG and the 17x weekly to EZE are definitely not on sale yet, and they were announced nearly a year ago. On the other hand, from one day to the other, SCL became 10x weekly. Anyone knows what happened to the EZE and BOG increases?

Maybe are they getting a bit more conservative with their expected growth due to the oil price increase?

The 3 additional weekly flights to EZE are scheduled to begin in November; A350 was scheduled also for the daily evening departure out of MAD from Apr 19, but then withdrawn back to the A346. AR adds another 3x w flights to Madrid Jun 2nd, afternoon departures out of EZE,
Keep calm and wash your hands.

a350lover

Sun May 27, 2018 3:37 pm

dcajet wrote:

The 3 additional weekly flights to EZE are scheduled to begin in November;

However, they are not selling tickets for them, so haven't been added to the network.
Neither did the 3x weekly increase to BOG.

dcajet

Sun May 27, 2018 11:38 pm

a350lover wrote:
dcajet wrote:

The 3 additional weekly flights to EZE are scheduled to begin in November;

However, they are not selling tickets for them, so haven't been added to the network.
Neither did the 3x weekly increase to BOG.

Interesting - it is still ~6 mos away. Will ask around...

LupineChemist

Mon May 28, 2018 6:53 am

airbazar wrote:
r2rho wrote:

When is the first A350 scheduled to arrive and how many will they get in 2018?

First one should be arriving in June (first flight should be this week) and they are scheduled to start training flights in July and start a JFK rotation in August.

Looks like they'll definitely be getting 2 with the third close to the end of the year. They may have been expecting it a bit sooner which would explain the EZE rotation as that requires 2 aircraft.

a350lover

Mon May 28, 2018 8:44 am

dcajet wrote:
a350lover wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Interesting - it is still ~6 mos away. Will ask around...

Curious how quickly they announced and started selling the extra 3x to SCL. Maybe they just swapped around the intentions. Interestingly, both Argentina and Colombia are, for different reasons, experiencing some changes around politics and that affects as well the economics. We'll see what happens.

Iberia's CEO also talked recently the forecasted 8% increased per year may be affected by the rising oil prices, and they tend to be very very conservative when it comes to grow.

dcajet

Mon May 28, 2018 3:05 pm

a350lover wrote:
dcajet wrote:
a350lover wrote:

Curious how quickly they announced and started selling the extra 3x to SCL. Maybe they just swapped around the intentions. Interestingly, both Argentina and Colombia are, for different reasons, experiencing some changes around politics and that affects as well the economics. We'll see what happens.

Iberia's CEO also talked recently the forecasted 8% increased per year may be affected by the rising oil prices, and they tend to be very very conservative when it comes to grow.

Well, both AR & UX are increasing capacity on the Argentina-Spain routes, so this seems to be more of an IB issue if indeed they have changed their minds, about which I have heard or read nothing. While Colombia is indeed changing their government, Argentina is on a different track, with a 10% devaluation of the currency against the Euro/US dollar. It should not affect air travel as it makes the country more attractive for the foreign traveler.

If I find anything out, will let you know.

a350lover

Mon May 28, 2018 3:42 pm

As far as I know, they have had some issues securing crews for the expansion ongoing on their long-haul operation mainly, which ended up in a last-minute agreement with their unions. Basically, airline wanted to hire personnel on temporary contracts, something which had never happened before in Iberia's history. Finally they signed an agreement, thus they found the crews they needed for the summer operation. Maybe they are still trying to figure out whether they should keep that 8% which they aimed for or not.

Even with the oil price rising, the new aicrafts should give them some "oxygen" regarding efficiency on that.

Not sure either what's the future for the current 17s A340s they have still active on fleet.

Kadish
Topic Author

Mon May 28, 2018 6:54 pm

a350lover wrote:
As far as I know, they have had some issues securing crews for the expansion ongoing on their long-haul operation mainly, which ended up in a last-minute agreement with their unions. Basically, airline wanted to hire personnel on temporary contracts, something which had never happened before in Iberia's history. Finally they signed an agreement, thus they found the crews they needed for the summer operation. Maybe they are still trying to figure out whether they should keep that 8% which they aimed for or not.

Even with the oil price rising, the new aicrafts should give them some "oxygen" regarding efficiency on that.

Not sure either what's the future for the current 17s A340s they have still active on fleet.

The 340 have been refurbished “ yesterday” so they will be around for a long time...the oldest is 15 and the newest just 8 year old. So at least 10 years more.

a350lover

Mon May 28, 2018 7:26 pm

Kadish wrote:

The 340 have been refurbished “ yesterday” so they will be around for a long time...the oldest is 15 and the newest just 8 year old. So at least 10 years more.

That scenario would be ideal cos that'll mean a true opportunity for IBE to increase its network. They plan to receive 16 A350 through the next 3 years, so that will mean a lot of increase on long-haul fleet. I have the feeling Iberia doesn't like competitors on the markets they enter (they recently added NRT, SFO, as the only operator), so being that conservative, we'll see what new routes/increases this renovated fleet will mean.

Some of the A330s could always go to Level for sure...

dcajet

Wed May 30, 2018 2:43 pm

dcajet wrote:
a350lover wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Well, both AR & UX are increasing capacity on the Argentina-Spain routes, so this seems to be more of an IB issue if indeed they have changed their minds, about which I have heard or read nothing. While Colombia is indeed changing their government, Argentina is on a different track, with a 10% devaluation of the currency against the Euro/US dollar. It should not affect air travel as it makes the country more attractive for the foreign traveler.

If I find anything out, will let you know.

Heard from Iberia; in the case of EZE & BOG it appears to be a matter of still waiting for government approval for the additional flights:

https://twitter.com/Iberia/status/1001829619933302785

a350lover

Thu May 31, 2018 6:54 am

dcajet wrote:

Heard from Iberia; in the case of EZE & BOG it appears to be a matter of still waiting for government approval for the additional flights:

Good to hear this! Hopefully they sort it out soon and they can start commercializing in a few weeks. They were due to be started in November.

Do you expect any other increase on IBE's network? I can't stop thinking of LIM, GRU and JNB mainly. I belive they three could be flown some more frequencies.

dcajet

Thu May 31, 2018 2:35 pm

a350lover wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Good to hear this! Hopefully they sort it out soon and they can start commercializing in a few weeks. They were due to be started in November.

Do you expect any other increase on IBE's network? I can't stop thinking of LIM, GRU and JNB mainly. I belive they three could be flown some more frequencies.

LIM could be; it seems that except for BA, European airlines do well there. Brazil's comeback seems to have stalled a bit. Not sure about South Africa. We need to how SFO does too, to see if it comes back again next summer (2019).

a350lover

Thu May 31, 2018 2:40 pm

dcajet wrote:

LIM could be; it seems that except for BA, European airlines do well there. Brazil's comeback seems to have stalled a bit. Not sure about South Africa. We need to how SFO does too, to see if it comes back again next summer (2019).

SFO, NRT or BOS are destinations which I guess Iberia like because they see no competence. However, they might not see tones of business traffics. What other routes new/or to increase could you guess @dcajet?

a350lover

Thu May 31, 2018 2:43 pm

a350lover wrote:
dcajet wrote:

SFO, NRT or BOS are destinations which I guess Iberia like because they see no competence. However, they might not see tones of business traffics. What other routes new/or to increase could you guess @dcajet?

If they want to remain conservative, they could still do some more to some other "secondary" port of South America, like they do with MDE.

dcajet

Thu May 31, 2018 5:05 pm

a350lover wrote:
dcajet wrote:

NRT will remain and is getting more frequencies - should almost daily soon; BOS and LAX are year round now, except for a quick break in the dead of winter (January and half of February). SFO I'd wait until the coming fall to see if it is a repeat for next summer. It is hard not to sell SFO in the summer (even though the city itself sees no summer, weather-wise). IAD perhaps? They already operated there like a decade ago.

Air Europa seems to have done an excellent job of picking the crop of secondary cities in South America (VVI, ASU, COR, IGR) so I am not sure what is left for Iberia with its higher costs. Maybe some in MEX like GDL and Monterrey? I reckon though that with the uncertainty surounding Mexico's elections we won't see anything until 2020. Maybe ROS in Argentina for UX?

a350lover

Thu May 31, 2018 6:45 pm

dcajet wrote:

Air Europa seems to have done an excellent job of picking the crop of secondary cities in South America (VVI, ASU, COR, IGR) so I am not sure what is left for Iberia with its higher costs.

Very good point.

Although maybe this has been possible due to the efficiency of a renovated fleet which UX has done, and which is due to happen also for Iberia with the acquisition of the A350 and the brand-new A330s. IB served Cordoba and Cali in the past. It looks like they don't like very much "triangle" routes, since they also stopped Guayaquil.

Hopefully they can speed up some more so that they truly become a leader in South America, while they deploy presence in other regions.

NRT daily? Interesting...

Kadish
Topic Author

Thu May 31, 2018 8:38 pm

a350lover wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Prove me wrong but I think UX will start BOS at least in summertime

a350lover

Thu May 31, 2018 8:45 pm

Last year they flew a limited number of frequencies during the peak of the summer season.

Iberia wins in the USA market, sure.

dcajet

Thu May 31, 2018 10:28 pm

a350lover wrote:
Hopefully they can speed up some more so that they truly become a leader in South America, while they deploy presence in other regions.

Well, while they may not be the market leader in 1 or 2 specific markets (e.g. Chile), IB is the market leader to Spain & Europe pretty much everywhere else. And if you add BA, i.e. IAG, they are streets ahead of the rest in key markets such as Argentina (Iberia/Level/British Airways). Lets not forget IB moves a big deal of the Argentina-Israel traffic too.

a350lover

Thu May 31, 2018 11:06 pm

dcajet wrote:
Well, while they may not be the market leader in 1 or 2 specific markets (e.g. Chile), IB is the market leader to Spain & Europe pretty much everywhere else. And if you add BA, i.e. IAG, they are streets ahead of the rest in key markets such as Argentina (Iberia/Level/British Airways). Lets not forget IB moves a big deal of the Argentina-Israel traffic too.

For sure!

When they withdrew some of the routes in South America (i.e Montevideo, Havana, etc.) they probably did that of course because of the big loses the airline was making, but also to really focus and work hard for a good improvement at the core of Iberia's business, and there perfect example is Buenos Aires. They are now back with a whole new product which includes: new airplanes, decent cabins, a great range of frequencies, etc.

Iberia is a leader in South America and I guess its strategy is to make the most of it, but without depending only on that

dcajet

Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:00 am

a350lover wrote:
dcajet wrote:

For sure!

When they withdrew some of the routes in South America (i.e Montevideo, Havana, etc.) they probably did that of course because of the big loses the airline was making, but also to really focus and work hard for a good improvement at the core of Iberia's business, and there perfect example is Buenos Aires. They are now back with a whole new product which includes: new airplanes, decent cabins, a great range of frequencies, etc.

Iberia is a leader in South America and I guess its strategy is to make the most of it, but without depending only on that

A quick snapshot of how the Spain-Argentina market will look like by end of this year:

Iberia + Level

17 weekly frequencies to Madrid from EZE
6 weekly frequencies to Barcelona from EZE

Aerolineas Argentinas + Air Europa (code share + Skyteam)

17 weekly frequencies to Madrid from EZE (10 on AR, 7 on UX)
7 weekly frequencies to Madrid from COR (on UX)

a350lover

Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:04 am

Do you believe COR could support a double-wide-body offer to MAD if ever IB returned there?

dcajet

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:58 pm

a350lover wrote:
Do you believe COR could support a double-wide-body offer to MAD if ever IB returned there?

I don't think so. UX (and its cost structure) are just perfect for a city like COR. Lets see how AA does with its nonstops to MIA from COR.

a350lover

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:53 pm

[quote="dcajet"]

I don't think so. UX (and its cost structure) are just perfect for a city like COR. Lets see how AA does with its nonstops to MIA from COR.[/

Do you think that the cost structure of UX is that different to iberia’s? Norwegian planned also some openings to Europe from COR, namely Barcelona

dcajet

Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:48 pm

a350lover wrote:
dcajet wrote:

I don't think so. UX (and its cost structure) are just perfect for a city like COR. Lets see how AA does with its nonstops to MIA from COR.

Do you think that the cost structure of UX is that different to iberia’s? Norwegian planned also some openings to Europe from COR, namely Barcelona

Absolutely. May be not by a big % but it has got to be lower.

I'd not count on Norwegian Argentina operating any time soon. They have sent their one plane back to Europe for the summer and have been completely radio silent about if and when they expect to start ops. Last I heard it was October. With their financial crisis and a potential buy out by IAG in the horizon, I think Norwegian has bigger fish to fry for the time being.

a350lover

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:24 am

dcajet wrote:

Just curious, what makes you think so?

aemoreira1981

Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:59 pm

With LEVEL being moved onto a different AOC (the former L’Avion),might it be wise to shift less premium routes to that with lower operatIng costs from MAD? Also, are the owned 343s available for reactivation for LEVEL? (A few were sold and leased back.)

upperdeckfan

Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:39 pm

Is there any chance to see IB at IAH any time soon?

I fly LH to/from IAH very often and there is always connecting traffic from Spain's LH network (BCN,VLC,BIO, etc)

Would be pure O/D traffic on the IAH end but keep in mind Houston is the 4th largest US metro area
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

a350lover

Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:59 pm

I reckon way before than IAH, Iberia should get back to IAD where they already operated in the past.

You never know what your eyes may end up seeing in this aviation world... but Level despite getting its own AOC isn't planned to serve MAD.

Kadish
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:30 pm

IAD with the new 321lr should be a reality. And before IAH i guess they would start somewhre in Canada

dcajet

Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:40 pm

a350lover wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Just curious, what makes you think so?

Different business models. Iberia is a legacy carrier. former Spain's flag carrier, ex-state owned, blah, blah while UX is relatively new comer, mostly if not entirely focused on the leisure traveler, and part of a larger leisure conglomerate, Globalia.

Now, mind you that I am referring to Iberia mainline. Iberia Express may have similar or lower costs than UX.

What sparks your curiosity?

a350lover

Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:43 pm

True.

Although I guess entering a new country (Canada) with no partners may be more tricky than just adding a new city to USA.

Canada-Madrid these days we just have:

Toronto-Madrid 5x weekly Air Canada
Montreal-Madrid 1x weekly Air Transat.

Interestingly Canada- Barcelona market is larger I guess mainly because leisure traffics sort of both ways.

Kadish
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:31 pm

a350lover wrote:
True.

Although I guess entering a new country (Canada) with no partners may be more tricky than just adding a new city to USA.

Canada-Madrid these days we just have:

Toronto-Madrid 5x weekly Air Canada
Montreal-Madrid 1x weekly Air Transat.

Interestingly Canada- Barcelona market is larger I guess mainly because leisure traffics sort of both ways.

Thats true.
Maybe AA could work as a feeder in Toronto...dunno the frequencies or destinations AA operate ti/from Toronto...so maybe its a stupid idea.

Jayafe

Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:46 pm

dcajet wrote:
Different business models. Iberia is a legacy carrier. former Spain's flag carrier, ex-state owned, blah, blah while UX is relatively new comer, mostly if not entirely focused on the leisure traveler, and part of a larger leisure conglomerate, Globalia.

Now, mind you that I am referring to Iberia mainline. Iberia Express may have similar or lower costs than UX.

Incorrect. UX (which has been flying for 32 years now) is a legacy-structured carrier, actually the "flying arm" of Globalia, with no incentive for efficiency or competition as was filling most of their planes with all-included vocational packages, and that was this way for many years.

Lately, in order to diversify and make the most of their new fleet, they tried to jump into the general market, finding that they were stuck with the same problems than any other legacy in feeding their LH birds, hence the creation of its own Express (same as IB did) to cut costs/salaries and try to stay viable (which has been in doubt for long, and still is, even when the announced Chineses buyers ran away from the deal). This subsidiary has been struggling to survive, and that's one of the reasons why UX pursued the deal with FR to use them as Spanish/European feeder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Europa_Express

upperdeckfan

Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:20 pm

Kadish wrote:
IAD with the new 321lr should be a reality. And before IAH i guess they would start somewhre in Canada

Do IB have 321LR in order?

If so, when will be delivered?
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

Kadish
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:58 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
Kadish wrote:

Do IB have 321LR in order?

If so, when will be delivered?

As far as I know I heard they ordered 2....dunno when .

a350lover

Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:21 pm

Kadish wrote:
As far as I know I heard they ordered 2....dunno when .

They might want them to rebuild some capacity back in all the routes they dropped in Africa. For that range of distance the A321LR can be perfect. Probably they could use them even for their only route to South Africa, JNB.

dcajet

Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:54 pm

Jayafe wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Incorrect. UX (which has been flying for 32 years now) is a legacy-structured carrier, actually the "flying arm" of Globalia, with no incentive for efficiency or competition as was filling most of their planes with all-included vocational packages, and that was this way for many years.

Lately, in order to diversify and make the most of their new fleet, they tried to jump into the general market, finding that they were stuck with the same problems than any other legacy in feeding their LH birds, hence the creation of its own Express (same as IB did) to cut costs/salaries and try to stay viable (which has been in doubt for long, and still is, even when the announced Chineses buyers ran away from the deal). This subsidiary has been struggling to survive, and that's one of the reasons why UX pursued the deal with FR to use them as Spanish/European feeder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Europa_Express

I am still not sure what is incorrect in what I had mentioned earlier. Are you saying then that IN mainline and UX are equal when it comes to costs?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos