master14225
Topic Author

YVR (Vancouver I'ntl) Airport Expansion 2037 Plan

Mon May 07, 2018 5:36 pm

With passenger numbers increasing faster than expected at YVR where this year will be over capacity for the current terminal, how long will it take for the whole master plan terminal expansion projects to be completed?

The master plan says that YVR will reach 35 million passengers in 2037 but with the rate it's going at, YVR will reach 32 million by 2021 or 2022 so terminal expansion projects need to be finished sooner than what the master plan says.

After 35 million passengers, there needs to be a new terminal elsewhere at Sea Island but with limited land for expansion, where will the new terminal go?

BENAir01

Re: YVR (Vancouver I'ntl) Airport Expansion 2037 Plan

Mon May 07, 2018 7:38 pm

Its possible they could demolish 13-31 and build a new terminal or satellites there, to the west of the current terminals, or if they are okay with doing reclamation in the sea to the west, thats another option. Alternatively, they could try something north of 8L-26R.
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

nname

Mon May 07, 2018 7:52 pm

From the presentation earlier this year, seems like YVR now favour remote stand operation. The plan is to build 10 remote stands in the east apron for US and international departures, and this is not part of the master plan. This summer there will be 4 remote gates for international and 1 for US departures.

I guess this will push the maximum a bit higher than 35 millions, as originally there was no remote stand operation planned.

Jayce

Mon May 07, 2018 9:41 pm

They’re currently working on extending the D pier to the west and after will extend the E pier to the east as well as adding an F pier where gates 90-96 are. They’re also expanding the A and B piers so this should hopefully keep up with growth for the near future.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

r2rho

Tue May 15, 2018 12:38 pm

Can anybody post a link to this master plan and/or a relevant presentation? Otherwise it's more difficult to follow the discussion.

Leslieville

Tue May 15, 2018 9:23 pm

r2rho wrote:
Can anybody post a link to this master plan and/or a relevant presentation? Otherwise it's more difficult to follow the discussion.

https://www.yvr2037.ca/

YYZLGA

Wed May 16, 2018 7:19 am

For the longer term, YVR has always had plans for a large terminal extension to the east, more-or-less doubling the US/International pier. There is already provision for a Canada Line station there to accommodate it. Right now, they seem to be focusing on cheaper extensions of existing piers.

jmchevallier

Wed May 16, 2018 8:22 am

A new foreshore runway would severely disrupt environment of the Fraser river mouth and possibly have unforeseen consequences regarding river alluvions deposit.

Addition of a close parallel runway on the southern side is certainly a safer and cheaper solution, although it would change the noise contours East of the airport. But this new runway would accomodate essentially arrivals. Moreover, new guidance technics should permit better noise mitigation.

r2rho

Wed May 23, 2018 3:19 pm

Overall, I am underwhelmed, given that 2037 is 20 years out I was expecting something more ambitious.

Runways:

- That foreshore runway, apart from the high cost and enviromental impact, would likely not even add the capacity of a full runway due to its dependency on the others.
- I see the south close parallel as a better choice.
- What about the land to the north of the airport? There would seem to be space for a north close parallel too.
- And the current southern runway should get a full-length taxiway ith high-speed exits - I don't see any of that.
- the Master Plan also mentions "Explore use of North Runway for departures, delaying need for new runway". What are the limitations on the north runway? Noise I assume?

The north-south taxiway is a must to enable better taxi operatios (specially if the current piers are to be extended, making it longer to taxi around them), a more efficient split of operations between runways, and serve as enabler for a future eastern terminal extension.

Terminals:
Right now, they seem to be focusing on cheaper extensions of existing piers.

If the current terminals are handling 22 million pax, and designed to take 25 million pax, I do wonder how some relatively minor extensions will push that to 35 million pax, as the Master Plan claims...

It seems the Master Plan prefers a Western satellite terminal once the 35 million figure is hit, versus an astern terminal.
If so, that satellite would take out the cross wind runway. How much is it used?

YYZLGA

Wed May 23, 2018 4:09 pm

r2rho wrote:
If the current terminals are handling 22 million pax, and designed to take 25 million pax, I do wonder how some relatively minor extensions will push that to 35 million pax, as the Master Plan claims...

If they are assuming that a lot of the growth will come from overseas flying, it will require considerably fewer gates than comparable passenger growth on the domestic side. Some may also come from upgauging of existing routes. You are likely right though that if growth continues at the current pace, this plan won't last anywhere near as long as 2037.

Regardless of its actual environmental impact, the perception of the environmental impact of the foreshore runway option is going to be very severe. A rendering of a giant runway sticking straight out into the ocean is going to be a very difficult sell in Vancouver.

r2rho

Fri May 25, 2018 1:24 pm

overseas flying, it will require considerably fewer gates than comparable passenger growth on the domestic side. Some may also come from upgauging of existing routes

OK, but gates are not the only limiting factor in airport growth. Terminal facilities such as baggage belts, security checkpoints, check in areas, etc are as well. It looks likely that the eastern extension might add a bit of that, but not for a whole 10 million pax extra.

Regardless of its actual environmental impact, the perception of the environmental impact of the foreshore runway option is going to be very severe. A rendering of a giant runway sticking straight out into the ocean is going to be a very difficult sell in Vancouver.

So why chase that route (which is likely also very costly), when the Master Plan makes clear that a south close parallel can be built, and when there is space for a north close parallel as well (though ignored in the master plan).
Also, what is the reason for no departures from the north runway? noise?

YYZLGA

Fri May 25, 2018 2:59 pm

r2rho wrote:
OK, but gates are not the only limiting factor in airport growth. Terminal facilities such as baggage belts, security checkpoints, check in areas, etc are as well. It looks likely that the eastern extension might add a bit of that, but not for a whole 10 million pax extra.

That's a good point. I'm not sure either, but I think the idea is that the eastern extension will accommodate most of the needed landside capacity. I do know from YYZ that airports have experienced and are anticipating less need for landside facilities per passenger, given the increasing prevalence of online check-in and the decline in checked bags due to fees. New security procedures are also supposed to move more people through the same footprint.

So why chase that route (which is likely also very costly), when the Master Plan makes clear that a south close parallel can be built, and when there is space for a north close parallel as well (though ignored in the master plan).

Good question. I don't know. Partly it's that it will have a higher capacity, since the spacing would allow at least partly independent operation, but I agree that close parallels are more realistic.

r2rho

Fri May 25, 2018 3:05 pm

I'm not sure either, but I think the idea is that the eastern extension will accommodate most of the needed landside capacity.

That's my take as well.
it will have a higher capacity, since the spacing would allow at least partly independent operation, but I agree that close parallels are more realistic.

To be picky, it's the staggering, not the spacing, that provides the capacity. But yes, that is correct. You could handle three more or less independent flows, if all runways can be used for all types of ops. To achieve equivalent capacity to the foreshore runway you would have to build both close parallels, north and south.

YYZLGA

Fri May 25, 2018 5:03 pm

r2rho wrote:
To be picky, it's the staggering, not the spacing, that provides the capacity. But yes, that is correct. You could handle three more or less independent flows, if all runways can be used for all types of ops. To achieve equivalent capacity to the foreshore runway you would have to build both close parallels, north and south.

You're absolutely right, that was the wrong word.

That's an interesting point that you could get roughly equivalent capacity with north and south runways to the foreshore. I just remembered the other big advantage of the foreshore runway is that it moves almost all of the noise to either the Strait or over the airfield itself. That might be a big selling point. I suppose it will become a question of local environmental impact (noise) vs broader environmental impact (marine environment). On the other hand, I'm somewhat skeptical that YVR will need the runway capacity of CDG or PEK anytime soon. It's not a tightly banked hub. Even YYZ has been happy to keep its three runway arrangement for the foreseeable future (one dependent parallel pair and one independent). There are no plans to build the north dependent parallel in the new draft master plan.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos