Zoedyn
Topic Author

CZ applies to launch WUH-LON, CAN-SYX-LON service

Tue May 08, 2018 3:47 am

Per CAAC's latest public notice today 关于南方航空股份有限公司申请开通武汉-伦敦、广州-三亚-伦敦往返客运航线的公示CZ's application for service on WUH-LON, CAN-SYX-LON, China Southern has applied to open the following service:

• 3x weekly WUH-LON flights, using 787/B77W/A332/A330, starting from May 2018
• 2x weekly CAN-SYX-LON flights, using B787/B77W/A332/A330, starting from June 2018

Chinese airlines seem to be riding a new wave of opening service to London out of China's tier 2/tier 3 cities. Yesterday just saw Tianjin Airlines' inaugural Tianjin-Xi'an-LHR flight

At this rate, China-UK routes are soon to follow the footsteps of China-US market with overcapacity misgivings?

SCQ83

Re: CZ applies to launch WUH-LON, CAN-SYX-LON service

Tue May 08, 2018 6:56 am

Sanya-London is an odd one.

Do they plan to attract drunk British tourists to the Chinese beaches? :D

CrawleyBen

Tue May 08, 2018 7:33 am

Is that likely to be London Heathrow as opposed to Gatwick? Seeing as China Southern already operate to/from Heathrow, I guess they will want to keep it that way instead of operate from both airports? (I could of course be wrong I know)

Cheers

Ben

TC957

Tue May 08, 2018 10:33 am

The UK travel market is always looking for new destinations, so Sanya might do well, although I recall Airtours trying Sanya a good few years ago and pulling out before their merger with Thomas Cook.
But surely to launch this month still or in June now is far too short a lead-in time to properly market such new routes.

TheFlyingRaven

Tue May 08, 2018 11:05 am

Why on earth would anyone go to Sanya when you have the Philippines, Thailand and Indonesia around it?! Some of the dirtiest, most overcrowded beaches that I've ever seen.

jfk777

Tue May 08, 2018 11:52 am

CrawleyBen wrote:
Is that likely to be London Heathrow as opposed to Gatwick? Seeing as China Southern already operate to/from Heathrow, I guess they will want to keep it that way instead of operate from both airports? (I could of course be wrong I know)

Cheers

Ben

Does China Southern have lots of Heathrow slots or are they being offered slots by their new shareholder American Airlines ?

GCT64

Tue May 08, 2018 1:41 pm

And still no London-SZX service? :shock: :banghead:

A Shenzhen route must have lots more potential than most/all of these new additions.
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

WPvsMW

Tue May 08, 2018 1:49 pm

Re: LON/SZX. Could not agree more... must be a CAAC problem. I suspect the CAN/SYX tag is to satisfy CAAC rather than an economic choice.

zakuivcustom

Tue May 08, 2018 1:53 pm

GCT64 wrote:
And still no London-SZX service? :shock: :banghead:

A Shenzhen route must have lots more potential than most/all of these new additions.

HKG is still the big dog next door. And not sure how much long-haul CAAC would allow at SZX, with the central gov't pushing for the whole "Yuegongao (Guangdong-HK-Macau) Greater Bay Area" concept.

TheFlyingRaven wrote:
Why on earth would anyone go to Sanya when you have the Philippines, Thailand and Indonesia around it?! Some of the dirtiest, most overcrowded beaches that I've ever seen.

Maybe they want the drunk Brits to trash it even more. Either that or they want to attract the Brits that were going the "shithole" call Boracay into another one that's only slightly better :stirthepot:

On the other hand, I'm looking at SYX's flight and seems like there is a fair amount of Russian charters going there now. I guess Sanya is becoming the new Nha Trang? :scratchchin:
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

azz767

Tue May 08, 2018 2:00 pm

I would think the new Atlantis hotel in Sanya will help demand there. The Bahamas and Dubai Atlantis hotels are very popular with British people

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2018 2:49 pm

This recent ChinaDaily report China to make Hainan Island pilot intl free trade zone , as well as Hainan to offer 30-day visa-free period for visitors from 59 countries, should give a key clue to why Hainan’s air connectivity will be gaining momentum most assuredly in months/years ahead. One simply can’t afford to be politically insensitive when doing big business in Chinese context

President Xi Jinping unveiled China's plan to build Hainan Island into a pilot international free trade zone
Xi urged the province to give priority to opening up, implement a more proactive opening-up strategy, speed up the establishment of a new system for open economy, and promote the formation of a new pattern of opening up in an all-round way

Of course, Hainan-headquartered HNA Group must be mentioned as this Chinese report discloses 海航集团拟5年内新开40余条海南始发国际航线HNA plans to launch >40 Hainan-originating international services within 5 years

tphuang

Tue May 08, 2018 4:45 pm

The sanya part looks really strange. Not sure who they are picking up along the way. Some real odd ball routes these days.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos