ikramerica

Re: United Airlines makes big adjustments in onboard food and beverage

Wed May 09, 2018 12:14 pm

Pbb152 wrote:
United Airline wrote:
Most of my American friends don't seem to care. Asians and Europeans do.Why?

Because most of us are OK with not drinking on flights or, alternatively, paying for a drink or two. And we don't have to stuff our faces with two sandwiches and three alcoholic drinks on a 1.5 hour flight from Stockholm to Amsterdam.

Also because most Americans now use pills and therapy turtles to calm down rather than a cocktail...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

michman

Wed May 09, 2018 12:19 pm

ryanov wrote:
I've had trouble figuring out what Delta's real rule is about serving meals in F. They claim it's by distance, I've heard also it depends on the time of the day... but I've definitely been on flights where everyone was surprised there's no food.

And yeah, I'm someone who is likely to fly EWR-ATL-HNL or some other middle connection point to avoid United.

DL F food policy is published here. For medium distance flights between 900 - 1,399 miles, there's a gap for departures between 1:30 - 4:00PM where they don't provide meal service.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US ... class.html

"Find savory and healthy snacks on flights under 900 miles."

"On flights ranging from 900-1,399 miles, enjoy a full chef-curated meal service. Find breakfast and lunch items on flights departing from 5 AM to 1:30 PM, dinner for departures from 4 PM to 8 PM and a hearty selection of snacks at most times in between."

Flights over 1400 miles (site says 1500 for some reason) you should always get a meal except on red-eye's. Although the D1 red-eye's usually have something i believe (they had a burger option on an SFO-BOS flight I took recently).

United Airline
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2018 12:41 pm

If I remember correctly food and alcohol are free on eurostar right?

ual763

Wed May 09, 2018 1:28 pm

kordcj wrote:
AirAfreak wrote:
I am most certain these changes are the result of managing excessive provisioning/waste due to passenger behavior and preferences.

I am happy to keep the Stroopwaffle and lose the Tomato Juice, for example. The Bloody Mary mix will always be there for my morning tomato juice cravings.

I don’t think I’ve been on a flight with a Stroopwaffle in a good 4-6 months. I’m certain it disappeared when the pretzels showed up. They don’t even offer stroopwaffles in the snack basket line up. I asked about it a few surveys ago, but never heard anything.

Have to depart before 9am. I still got one last week IAD-ORD.
From flying to the NOTAM office

Pbb152

Wed May 09, 2018 1:30 pm

ikramerica wrote:
Pbb152 wrote:
United Airline wrote:

Because most of us are OK with not drinking on flights or, alternatively, paying for a drink or two. And we don't have to stuff our faces with two sandwiches and three alcoholic drinks on a 1.5 hour flight from Stockholm to Amsterdam.

Also because most Americans now use pills and therapy turtles to calm down rather than a cocktail...

You sir win the internet today. That is funny stuff.

ckfred

Wed May 09, 2018 1:39 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
United Airline wrote:
These are small items and yet they want to cut.

I am flying DL and AA a lot more lately. Also European/Asian airlines which offer a lot more for the same if not less price.

Bob Lutz, who has worked at a number of automakers, including Ford and GM, detests finance people, i.e., bean counters, who keep looking to save a dollar here or a few pennies there, in the name of profits.

WorldFlier

Wed May 09, 2018 1:52 pm

globetrotter94 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
hohd wrote:
The most glaring example of no free meal is on the flights to Hawaii, EWR to HNL is about 11 hours and still no free meals. They often run out of certain paid food items on this flight. Meals should be complimentary on flights to Hawaii, like DL and AA.

That is an example people point to often. IIRC, UA is #1 to Hawaii and Delta #5. Passengers don't seem to be voting with rumbling stomachs.

Was on UA's HNL-ORD overnight flight recently. Most people just brought food with them. TBH, if I had been hungry I would have done the same--would have preferred a packed poke dinner over anything that UA could cater (even for free).

A big *THIS* - airline food sucks and I packed a Poke Bowl on my HNL-EWR flight. Even International Business Class food is pathetic (for the most part) considering you're paying over a week's worth of nights at a Ritz Carlton or 20 nice dinners at a Michelin Star Restaurant.

Booze costs nothing. Each of those nips, wholesale, is probably less than $0.50. Hell, you can buy 25 of them for $19 on etsy right now, retail.

jetero

Wed May 09, 2018 1:54 pm

739er wrote:
Noise wrote:
From a service perspective, I'm seeing fewer and fewer reasons to fly UA. Still, my choice of airline mainly depends on the price of the ticket.

Winner, Winner, Chicken dinner.

But now the chicken will be cold!

Pbb152 wrote:
United Airline wrote:

Yeah, and we also don't like options. None of those, please! You know the old saying, "If one of us thinks that most Americans don't like something, it's OK to screw everyone else over." :sarcastic:

(The idea of an American lecturing Europeans on an intrinsic desire to stuff their faces is really rich.)

United Airline wrote:
From what I heard from a UA flight attendant, when UA took away free alcohol completely in Y as well as hot meal onboard certain international flights, it was mainly Australians who complained a lot about this. Many Asians and Europeans too. Then free wine and beer came back.

Um, how many years later? 10?

Pbb152

Wed May 09, 2018 2:13 pm

[quote="jetero”]Yeah, and we also don't like options. None of those, please! You know the old saying, "If one of us thinks that most Americans don't like something, it's OK to screw everyone else over." :sarcastic:

(The idea of an American lecturing Europeans on an intrinsic desire to stuff their faces is really rich.)[/quote]

Yes, and you thinking you are speaking for most Americans is different, right?

And I will have you know that I wasn’t speaking in stereotypes, but rather addressing a specific instance where a poster talked of having two sandwiches and three drinks on a 1.5 hour flight. But I wouldn’t want to push you off your high horse.

BC77008

Wed May 09, 2018 2:31 pm

There is really no shortage of YouTube videos that show what happens when Americans have had too much to drink on an airplane. The diversions, police reports, collection of crew and witness statements, customer reaccommodations, etc. are also costs that an airline must consider and want to avoid. By charging $8 a pop for the “good stuff” you mitigate people over-imbibing and creating a costly disturbance.

I can also imagine that a “free booze for everyone” policy would only encourage crew and/or catering to help themselves as well, since there would be no system of accounting for the mini’s.
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

jetero

Wed May 09, 2018 2:42 pm

Pbb152 wrote:
Yes, and you thinking you are speaking for most Americans is different, right?

And I will have you know that I wasn’t speaking in stereotypes, but rather addressing a specific instance where a poster talked of having two sandwiches and three drinks on a 1.5 hour flight. But I wouldn’t want to push you off your high horse.

Hey Mr "High Horse," buddy, why don't you scroll up for an example as to how I think.

jetero wrote:
Bizarre change for F meals. I personally rarely eat them, but I know I'm in the minority, and the majority will have something new to (rightfully) complain about.

There's a difference between saying that "It's perfectly OK for these changes to be made because most of us don't care" and "well, maybe they should keep the options for the people who do care" or, at the very least, "I can understand why some people may not like the changes."

But, you probably already know this, being such an obviously well-grounded "man of the people." (Do you ride a pony?)

(Also I looked for said "specific instance" but did not find anyone referring to "stuffing his face" on the thread. Maybe you weren't quoting so innocently?)

9w748capt

Wed May 09, 2018 2:46 pm

Wow, some of the pics on FT of these new "meals" are just appalling. Half a wrap and 3 grapes constitutes lunch? Is that some kind of joke? Hard to believe AA is so much better these days - they even offer special meals on all mainline flights now - and they're not half bad! How much is UA even saving with these cuts? A dollar per meal, tops? Pathetic. So happy Kirby left AA!

ual763

Wed May 09, 2018 3:21 pm

Just a thought, as nobody has brought it up to my knowledge... Does anyone think that these changes may be linked to the combative catering employees trying to unionize? Surely, that would increase catering costs by quite a lot, resulting in changes like this.
Last edited by ual763 on Wed May 09, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From flying to the NOTAM office

codc10

Wed May 09, 2018 3:23 pm

ual763 wrote:
Just a thought, as nobody has brought it up to my knowledge... Does anyone 5ink that these changes may be linked to the combative catering employees trying to unionize? Surely, that would increase catering costs by quite a lot, resulting in changes like this.

United would probably be better off divesting Chelsea in such a case.

PA110

Wed May 09, 2018 5:41 pm

UA's food service between mainland USA and Hawaii is appalling.
I flew to Hawaii in Y+ and had buy on board: Choice between dried out chicken wrap and an absolutely disgusting cheeseburger.
I few back to the mainland in F, and was shocked at what passed for a dinner service. They no longer set a table. Instead you get a half-sized tray with crackers, processed cheese, a hot main entree (sad ravioli) and a low-grade chocolate bar for dessert.
The problem is those of us of a certain age keep comparing today's service to days gone by (PanAm 747s with caviar).
The reality of today is you're buying transport. If you're flying first class, you're renting a slightly larger seat with minimally more legroom. Nothing more.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

ua900

Wed May 09, 2018 6:34 pm

ryanov wrote:
I'm someone who is likely to fly EWR-ATL-HNL or some other middle connection point to avoid United.

AirAfreak wrote:
Yes, we are approximately three worlds apart in terms of airline catering thanks to the 11-hour EWR-HNL flight being the world’s longest domestic flight without a complimentary meal.

AirAfreak wrote:
I had no idea EWR-HNL does not offer a complimentary meal to Economy Passengers. This must be the longest flight in the world without complimentary meal service.

hohd wrote:
The most glaring example of no free meal is on the flights to Hawaii, EWR to HNL is about 11 hours and still no free meals.

PA110 wrote:

SonomaFlyer wrote:
I sense a riot in the UA first class cabins! Seriously though, this kind of cheap skate stuff won't sit well with the folks who pay $$ or for frequent fliers who could obtain status on a competing carrier and enjoy better service on the route.

I didn't realize EWR-HNL had no meal service. Its a long as a TATL flight from the West Coast for pity's sake.

This 1K isn't going to riot, none of my friends are about to either.

If y'all want to make an example out of NYC-HNL not having meals, why not just fly HA? Their prices are on par with UA most days and it's a coveted non-stop. Their menu seems quite decent. We still have competition in this country.

http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/our-ser ... w-york-jfk

United Airline wrote:
Does DL serve hot meals onboard transcon flights? AA?

Alcohol is not free in DL economy class within North America I guess?

Just like AA and UA, DL does free alcohol on select coast-to-coast routes. Historically for the US 3 that was SFO/LAX-NYC, but now it's expanding to places like SEA and BOS as well, depending on what each carrier considers a premium transcon route. They will stay competitive and at par for the most part, but there will always be competitive exceptions in order to gain market share, like the DL West Coast shuttle.

As a 1K at UA, my impression is that all the US 3 take pretty good care of their respective elites. I (and most other elites I know) don't base their purchasing decisions on free liquor vs. beer or wine. We get comped meals / fresh wraps / snackboxes and comped liquor anyway, regardless of length of flight and regardless of cabin of service. On the occasions when I've taken DL West Coast shuttle over UA, it would be more based on schedule vs. comped liquor. I get the DL club comped anyway if I'm ever that thirsty.

The liquor / F meal debate is around customers who:

1) don't get comped BoB items or are too cheap to buy
2) don't get comped liquor or are too cheap to buy
3) don't get comped Y+ and therefore no free meal
4) don't hold a club membership or even priority pass, paid or comped
5) are too cheap to cough up $10 at the airport for a food item that meets their expectations
6) are too cheap to cough up $20 for a bottle of wine / spirits once they are airside
7) don't want to carry up two minis through TSA (could be like $1.99 a bottle) and then consume it before boarding
8) don't want to buy up / use miles / use instruments to go to F
2018: AMS | ARN | CDG | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUM | HAM | HKG | HNL | IAH | LAX | MIA | MUC | ORD | RSW | SAL | SFO | SIN | TLV | TXL | VIE | ZRH

TEY1330

Wed May 09, 2018 6:50 pm

The apologists are out in force. UA, in this case, loves your non-discerning and likely low yield business.

Chasensfo

Wed May 09, 2018 6:50 pm

AirAfreak wrote:
This we “don’t seem to care” perception is due to the low expectations we as American Consumers expect within the aviation marketplace. Additionally, I think Americans are grateful to have even two weeks of paid annual leave so the reduction of a service item is low on the list of battles to choose from, overall.

Agreed.

"Stuffing" one's face usually makes them happy. Liquor, assuming one does drink alcohol, also usually makes people happy. And both pass time. Time is the enemy of all but the most militant aviation nerds when stuck to a seat in a tube surrounded by anonymous strangers for hours and hours. I can tell you when I travel in First/Business Class, the meal is usually what I'm looking forward to the most. It is nice to be excited about in-flight service rather than just be dreading the flight.

When I worked for an airline, among other carriers, I flew US Airways for free in coach and first class was a $20 or $25USD upgrade. The first time my standby upgrade went thru was on an A321 flying from PHX-MSP at 1PM. I was excited for lunch, then underwhelmed to realize that "First Class" on US Airways for a 4 hour lunch time flight was staring at a seat back with no IFE, only 3 drink services(the flight attendant seemed so annoyed when I asked for a 3rd cocktail over 3 hours in that I didn't dare ask for another), and 2 quick trips down the aisle with a snack basket full of assorted vending machine food. I never bought a $25 upgrade coupon again, I can't imagine flying them full fare and thinking "Wow, this is great. This is my airline of choice from now on".

First Class is all about the experience. When the service becomes more akin to coach, those seeking service will go elsewhere.

For all the hype UA has been cramming down our throats about Polaris and their new product, color me thoroughly unimpressed. Delta is looking better and better each day.

ua900

Wed May 09, 2018 7:06 pm

TEY1330 wrote:
The apologists are out in force. UA, in this case, loves your non-discerning and likely low yield business.

Huh? Five folks bitching about "UA's so bad" vs one person pointing out that Hawaiian has better menus if the meals are very important for them, not even mentioning that EWR dining has become a lot healthier and better quality that it used to be. Nah, full force is on the other side :-)

Chasensfo wrote:
AirAfreak wrote:
This we “don’t seem to care” perception is due to the low expectations we as American Consumers expect within the aviation marketplace. Additionally, I think Americans are grateful to have even two weeks of paid annual leave so the reduction of a service item is low on the list of battles to choose from, overall.

Agreed.

"Stuffing" one's face usually makes them happy. Liquor, assuming one does drink alcohol, also usually makes people happy. And both pass time. Time is the enemy of all but the most militant aviation nerds when stuck to a seat in a tube surrounded by anonymous strangers for hours and hours. I can tell you when I travel in First/Business Class, the meal is usually what I'm looking forward to the most. It is nice to be excited about in-flight service rather than just be dreading the flight.

When I worked for an airline, among other carriers, I flew US Airways for free in coach and first class was a $20 or $25USD upgrade. The first time my standby upgrade went thru was on an A321 flying from PHX-MSP at 1PM. I was excited for lunch, then underwhelmed to realize that "First Class" on US Airways for a 4 hour lunch time flight was staring at a seat back with no IFE, only 3 drink services(the flight attendant seemed so annoyed when I asked for a 3rd cocktail over 3 hours in that I didn't dare ask for another), and 2 quick trips down the aisle with a snack basket full of assorted vending machine food. I never bought a $25 upgrade coupon again, I can't imagine flying them full fare and thinking "Wow, this is great. This is my airline of choice from now on".

First Class is all about the experience. When the service becomes more akin to coach, those seeking service will go elsewhere.

For all the hype UA has been cramming down our throats about Polaris and their new product, color me thoroughly unimpressed. Delta is looking better and better each day.

Plenty of ways to stuff your face or get wasted at the airport, or just before you leave your house. Comped meals had this rep of being godawful when they were commonplace, now it's awful that they aren't there. Go figure.

As for US, now you know why UA didn't want to merge with them when they were still in *A and right after DL/NW kicked off merger mania. And even today $19 F upgrades are possible. Obviously not on NYC-HNL. You say that F is all about the experience, agreed. UA domestic F NYC-HNL will get you a 100% flatbed guarantee with an entertainment console that has enough contents for me and the kids. It's a far cry from the UA/AA/DL barcaloungers from the 1980s or slimline seats and slimline bathrooms in coach.

If someone balks at you for 3 drinks in 3 hours, it's the ex-cons. Don't worry about it, just head back past the drawn curtains, politely ask for one more round and listen to the assorted union banter for ten mins if the regular IFE isn't exciting enough. That might remind you of US a bit, but hey, DL was already gone for UA as a potential merging partner and CO was marginally nicer than US.
2018: AMS | ARN | CDG | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUM | HAM | HKG | HNL | IAH | LAX | MIA | MUC | ORD | RSW | SAL | SFO | SIN | TLV | TXL | VIE | ZRH

dmstorm22

Wed May 09, 2018 8:05 pm

ua900 wrote:

5) are too cheap to cough up $10 at the airport for a food item that meets their expectations
6) are too cheap to cough up $20 for a bottle of wine / spirits once they are airside
7) don't want to carry up two minis through TSA (could be like $1.99 a bottle) and then consume it before boarding

Well put. 1K UA myself, but putting a more standard traveler cap on for a minute (granted, standard traveler me won't be effected by small cuts to F/J food service anyway, but let's move on), I would always just buy some food/snacks from the airport, no matter the price, rather than eat what ANY of the US3 serve domestically.

It was nice the first few times I flew PS in Y+ and still got food, only to realize the omellette is hot garbage (seriously, disgusting), and the food on return legs can vary wildly from sad ravioli as someone else mentioned to actually nice chicken tikka (I'm 2nd generation Indian, btw) on one SFO-EWR flight.

I'm more than happy to pay $10-15 to get something actually with decent quality control from the airport than $5-10 of something far worse from UA (or DL or AA).

Also, for the people that are bringing up KL and the likes, I've been on quite a few intra-EU flights where the service is none better than their US3 counterparts. You're welcome for that push on the 'race to the bottom'. Glad you found some unicorn route that gives you hot food and multiple drinks on a 1.5hr service, but I've done multiple BA and LH routes and gotten bupkis.

United Airline
Topic Author

Thu May 10, 2018 9:52 am

How much does it cost for the beer, wine and spirit for DL/AA domestic flights? Doubt they are free on transcon or Hawaiian flights either.

Does any US airline serve hot meal onboard flights within North America? Hawaiian?

ricport

Thu May 10, 2018 11:10 am

If UA wants to make cuts, how about getting rid of that God-awful Tito’s? I’d sooner drink turpentine.

ua900

Thu May 10, 2018 2:25 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
Also, for the people that are bringing up KL and the likes, I've been on quite a few intra-EU flights where the service is none better than their US3 counterparts. You're welcome for that push on the 'race to the bottom'. Glad you found some unicorn route that gives you hot food and multiple drinks on a 1.5hr service, but I've done multiple BA and LH routes and gotten bupkis.

That's a great point as well. Sure, the Euro food is somewhat better if you consider hot meal served on china during 1.5 hour flight, but you'll be stuck at a 30-32 inch pitch seat with that little table in the middle. I'd rather have a wider seat with a much larger pitch as in the standard US domestic first setup. What's more, the US 3 now routinely fly flat bed wide bodies between hubs. Unless it's a premium transcon hub route, the upgrades can easily be complimentary. I had a UA flight from SFO-LAX two weeks ago on a 752 with flat beds. I can't picture LH (or AF, BA, KL) comping that or even running these between say AMS-CDG on a regular basis.

United Airline wrote:
How much does it cost for the beer, wine and spirit for DL/AA domestic flights? Doubt they are free on transcon or Hawaiian flights either.

Does any US airline serve hot meal onboard flights within North America? Hawaiian?

United Airline wrote:

Here are AA's free alcohol / free meal routes: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/expe ... n-food.jsp
DL offers free beer, wine and spirits in Comfort+ on all flights over 350 miles
DL offers free beer, wine and spirits in regular economy on Shuttle flights: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/ ... uttle.html
DL offers free meals in 12 domestic economy markets: http://news.delta.com/delta-debuts-free ... 12-markets

For all other domestic routes, here's how much it costs for DL and AA in regular economy:

Delta alcohol prices: https://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta ... PR-min.pdf
AA alcohol prices: http://alcademics.typepad.com/.a/6a00e553b3da20883401b7c87947d9970b-pi

You can compare that with UA: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content ... ining.aspx

But again, bear in mind that US 3 elites often get comped food and alcohol on their home carrier, so the routes moot point for us:

United: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content ... nefit.aspx
Delta: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/ ... tatus.html
American: http://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-progr ... nefits.jsp

ricport wrote:
If UA wants to make cuts, how about getting rid of that God-awful Tito’s? I’d sooner drink turpentine.

UA used to pay more attention to selecting beverages that were either big global brands OR connected to a hub. Brands like H2O come to mind, women owned business, UA hub based, no parabens, got canned. Then came Murad, based right next to LAX, got canned as well. As for the liquor, I enjoyed Grand Marnier, that's gone, and now Courvoisier VSOP and a couple others got canned as well. Seems like they want the regular Barcadi standard. When compared to say Avianca with their 7 year aged Flor de Cana rum it looks like an easy improvement given the marginal difference in cost. Their Strategic Sourcing Department should take a closer look.

MIflyer12

Thu May 10, 2018 2:44 pm

United Airline wrote:

You don't know your competition well. Here are Delta's North American routes with free -- coach -- meals. It's a bit more than the East/Midwest-Hawaii flights and the JFK-LAX/SFO transcons.

Domestic routes include:

New York (JFK) to/from Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO), San Diego (SAN), Seattle (SEA), Portland (PDX)
Washington D.C. (DCA) to/from Los Angeles (LAX)
Seattle (SEA) to/from Boston (BOS), Raleigh-Durham (RDU), Orlando (MCO), Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
Boston (BOS) to/from San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX)
Atlanta (ATL) to/from Honolulu (HNL)
New York (JFK) to/from Honolulu (HNL)
Minneapolis (MSP) to/from Honolulu (HNL)

This is a service Delta announced fifteen months ago. That's plenty of time for United to evaluate and match it, if they wanted. Maybe Delta is wasting money on free food. Maybe they recognize that customers value (good) FA contact and service, instead of hiding behind the curtain.

Free beer/wine/spirits on the ATL/MSP-HNL flights.

Enjoy complimentary meals, beer, wine and spirits on our non-stop flights between Atlanta and Honolulu and Minneapolis and Honolulu in Comfort+ and Main Cabin.

TWA1985

Thu May 10, 2018 2:45 pm

ricport wrote:

I know American does. I’m flying ORD-DFW-RSW tomorrow in first and was able to preorder hot meals on both lunch flights. Enchiladas and lasagna respectively. And interestingly, the second flight is still served a meal despite leaving at 2:45 pm.
Be Young. Be Wild. Be Free.

9w748capt

Thu May 10, 2018 5:54 pm

ua900 wrote:
ryanov wrote:
I'm someone who is likely to fly EWR-ATL-HNL or some other middle connection point to avoid United.

AirAfreak wrote:
Yes, we are approximately three worlds apart in terms of airline catering thanks to the 11-hour EWR-HNL flight being the world’s longest domestic flight without a complimentary meal.

AirAfreak wrote:
I had no idea EWR-HNL does not offer a complimentary meal to Economy Passengers. This must be the longest flight in the world without complimentary meal service.

hohd wrote:
The most glaring example of no free meal is on the flights to Hawaii, EWR to HNL is about 11 hours and still no free meals.

PA110 wrote:

SonomaFlyer wrote:
I sense a riot in the UA first class cabins! Seriously though, this kind of cheap skate stuff won't sit well with the folks who pay $$ or for frequent fliers who could obtain status on a competing carrier and enjoy better service on the route.

I didn't realize EWR-HNL had no meal service. Its a long as a TATL flight from the West Coast for pity's sake.

This 1K isn't going to riot, none of my friends are about to either.

If y'all want to make an example out of NYC-HNL not having meals, why not just fly HA? Their prices are on par with UA most days and it's a coveted non-stop. Their menu seems quite decent. We still have competition in this country.

http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/our-ser ... w-york-jfk

United Airline wrote:
Does DL serve hot meals onboard transcon flights? AA?

Alcohol is not free in DL economy class within North America I guess?

Just like AA and UA, DL does free alcohol on select coast-to-coast routes. Historically for the US 3 that was SFO/LAX-NYC, but now it's expanding to places like SEA and BOS as well, depending on what each carrier considers a premium transcon route. They will stay competitive and at par for the most part, but there will always be competitive exceptions in order to gain market share, like the DL West Coast shuttle.

As a 1K at UA, my impression is that all the US 3 take pretty good care of their respective elites. I (and most other elites I know) don't base their purchasing decisions on free liquor vs. beer or wine. We get comped meals / fresh wraps / snackboxes and comped liquor anyway, regardless of length of flight and regardless of cabin of service. On the occasions when I've taken DL West Coast shuttle over UA, it would be more based on schedule vs. comped liquor. I get the DL club comped anyway if I'm ever that thirsty.

What an unbelievable obnoxious post. Let me guess - you and your 1K "friends" are all corporate types right? You guys aren't paying to earn 1K status out of your own pockets, right? Your corporate travel desk is? And yet you're taking UA's side in this? Seriously? You don't think that those of us who actually pay for an F flight during a mealtime should get an edible meal? Wow.

UA's recent meal cuts are pathetic, plain and simple. Far below DL and AA's standards. Your attempt to rationalize UA's poor treatment of you and your friends is comically out of touch. You are aware that there is a significant amount of paid F? And many of those who pay for F do so because they can afford it and want a better experience, not because they're the over-entitled corporate types. And yet paid F doesn't even include lounge access except on premium transcons!

I'm sure upgrade rates on UA will improve as they're certainly not incentivizing anyone to pay for F with such a horrible product. But on AA at least, there are very few (if any) upgrades available on most flights.

twicearound

Thu May 10, 2018 6:05 pm

Chasensfo wrote:
AirAfreak wrote:

Agreed.

4 hour flight from phx-msp....were you making a stop somewhere?

Chasensfo

Thu May 10, 2018 6:15 pm

ua900 wrote:
Plenty of ways to stuff your face or get wasted at the airport, or just before you leave your house. Comped meals had this rep of being godawful when they were commonplace, now it's awful that they aren't there. Go figure.

As for US, now you know why UA didn't want to merge with them when they were still in *A and right after DL/NW kicked off merger mania. And even today $19 F upgrades are possible. Obviously not on NYC-HNL. You say that F is all about the experience, agreed. UA domestic F NYC-HNL will get you a 100% flatbed guarantee with an entertainment console that has enough contents for me and the kids. It's a far cry from the UA/AA/DL barcaloungers from the 1980s or slimline seats and slimline bathrooms in coach.

If someone balks at you for 3 drinks in 3 hours, it's the ex-cons. Don't worry about it, just head back past the drawn curtains, politely ask for one more round and listen to the assorted union banter for ten mins if the regular IFE isn't exciting enough. That might remind you of US a bit, but hey, DL was already gone for UA as a potential merging partner and CO was marginally nicer than US.

I agree with much of your post, but I think food is a bigger deal to premium passengers than you think. I don't want to buy overpriced airport food, or pack a sandwich for first class. That's ridiculous, in my opinion. Food in premium cabins on flights over 2 hours or so is something most premium pax have become accustomed to. When I pay for upgrades on a 4 hour flight around mealtime, I expect a fulfilling meal to pass the time and satisfy me as part of the added ticket cost and standard first/biz class fair. As I stated, looking forward to the "surprise" of what nice meal I'll have to dine to a movie and wine or a cocktail in cruise is something that more people look forward to than some of you on these boards seem to think. Premium pax pump enough money into the airlines in these days of massive record profits for the airline to feed us.

As far as liquor goes, drinking on the plane is much more appealing and relaxing than just taking shots before boarding...very, very different way of drinking...

This notion of an airline making more and more money, but ramping up outsourcing, forcing employees to part time to shed benefits, and taking away services and amenities is the true race to the bottom for the carriers participating. United possibly at the forefront, especially with their decades of passenger abuse(I wore a UA uniform at SFO for 4 years) and non-stop negative media attention these days.

twicearound wrote:
4 hour flight from phx-msp....were you making a stop somewhere?

Block to block was just under 4 hours, and scheduled as such. Either 2010 or 2011, planned runway construction was padded into the schedules.

tphuang

Thu May 10, 2018 6:57 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
United Airline wrote:

You don't know your competition well. Here are Delta's North American routes with free -- coach -- meals. It's a bit more than the East/Midwest-Hawaii flights and the JFK-LAX/SFO transcons.

Domestic routes include:

New York (JFK) to/from Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO), San Diego (SAN), Seattle (SEA), Portland (PDX)
Seattle (SEA) to/from Boston (BOS), Raleigh-Durham (RDU), Orlando (MCO), Fort Lauderdale (FLL)

This is a service Delta announced fifteen months ago. That's plenty of time for United to evaluate and match it, if they wanted. Maybe Delta is wasting money on free food. Maybe they recognize that customers value (good) FA contact and service, instead of hiding behind the curtain.

Enjoy complimentary meals, beer, wine and spirits on our non-stop flights between Atlanta and Honolulu and Minneapolis and Honolulu in Comfort+ and Main Cabin.

Unfortunately, the reality is DL is wasting money on the free food. It still has revenue advantage on the markets that it should have it and disadvantage in the markets that others should dominate. There were multiple thread on DL ft forum about cut backs to Delta one service and also Delta having the cheapest wine served in the air. If higher catering = higher revenue was actually a real thing, AA/UA would've added to it too. Unfortunately, the only market that seems to be competitive enough to warrant that is NYC-LAX/SFO.

And I'm speaking this as someone who thinks UA provides terrible service and don't fly with them.

9w748capt

Thu May 10, 2018 7:37 pm

TWA1985 wrote:
ricport wrote:

I know American does. I’m flying ORD-DFW-RSW tomorrow in first and was able to preorder hot meals on both lunch flights. Enchiladas and lasagna respectively. And interestingly, the second flight is still served a meal despite leaving at 2:45 pm.

Not just that but AA now offers special meals on most mainline flights too. Had a Hindu meal ex-PHL and it wasn't bad at all. Hell, I even got 2 desserts out of it. Compare that to UA these days. But oh wait, we can just get drunk and eat before our flight, so who cares LOL.

berari

Thu May 10, 2018 8:04 pm

Flew trans-Pacific round trip on UA in the last few weeks. I have had better and plentiful food on Ethiopian.

9w748capt

Thu May 10, 2018 8:12 pm

berari wrote:
Flew trans-Pacific round trip on UA in the last few weeks. I have had better and plentiful food on Ethiopian.

What's that supposed to mean? ET is an excellent airline, and Ethiopian food is amazingly delicious. I'll never forget the Doro Wot at the Cloud 9 lounge in ADD - the best lounge meal I've had in a long time!

LAXintl

Thu May 10, 2018 8:19 pm

Tomato juice is back

United reinstates tomato juice
https://www.sfgate.com/chris-mcginnis/a ... 904623.php

=

United statement:
"We want our customers to know that we value and appreciate them and that we're listening. Our customers told us that they were not happy about the removal of tomato juice so we're bringing it back onboard as part of our complimentary beverage offering."
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

TEY1330

Thu May 10, 2018 8:39 pm

Information is our friend.

One thing I think everyone can agree is because of forums like these, blogs, and main stream sources the traveler today has access to knowledge about what their buying dollar will get from each carrier on a given route and in each cabin class.

Service and product cutbacks AND enhancements become public knowledge before they even happen.

Which is a good thing.

ITMercure

Thu May 10, 2018 8:40 pm

Tomato juice happens to be the #1 drink of choice in the airline business: a Survey showed that and scientists if memory serves me well, demonstrated that it was mostly due to the taste keeping strong at cabin altitude compared to other beverages. So what was UA management thinking about when getting rid of the most apreciated beverage on board?

VC10er

Fri May 11, 2018 11:10 am

I’ve been on the United EWR/HNL 764, but in first. It was a really long flight but made Hawaii seem much closer than the old days with a connection. But, I must say I am flabbergasted if this is true: while I was up front on that flight, there was ZERO food in Economy for the folks behind the curtain? Even if United has a virtual lock on this non-stop that is a horrible thing to do to passengers on an 9 to 11 hour flight...doesn’t matter if it’s technically domestic.
I’m not a big drinker, so usually I give all my free drink vouchers to folks lined up for Economy. When I give them out the look on their faces is like I gave them a crisp $100 bill!!!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

ua900

Fri May 11, 2018 1:22 pm

9w748capt wrote:
What an unbelievable obnoxious post. Let me guess - you and your 1K "friends" are all corporate types right? You guys aren't paying to earn 1K status out of your own pockets, right? Your corporate travel desk is? And yet you're taking UA's side in this? Seriously? You don't think that those of us who actually pay for an F flight during a mealtime should get an edible meal? Wow.

UA's recent meal cuts are pathetic, plain and simple. Far below DL and AA's standards. Your attempt to rationalize UA's poor treatment of you and your friends is comically out of touch. You are aware that there is a significant amount of paid F? And many of those who pay for F do so because they can afford it and want a better experience, not because they're the over-entitled corporate types. And yet paid F doesn't even include lounge access except on premium transcons!

I'm sure upgrade rates on UA will improve as they're certainly not incentivizing anyone to pay for F with such a horrible product. But on AA at least, there are very few (if any) upgrades available on most flights.

That's extremely rude of you and none of your "guesses" are true. I don't work for a corporation, 100% of my trips are paid out of my own pockets. I don't have a corporate travel desk. I don't work for UA, nor do any of my relatives, nor do I travel on a buddy pass, nor do I work for any other airline or anywhere near that industry. Get out of the business of guessing, you're not good at it.

The omelettes they used to serve are disgusting, as were a couple other things. No loss to me. If you feel different, write UA and complain, it's your right as a paid flyer. My impression is that UA won't ever match what *A clubs and Centurion have to offer to us on the ground and 90% of the time when I fly I've already completed my meal and if I feel like drinking something, that's available in much better quality on the ground as well. The lounge access you covet and don't get in your post is a UA club, you didn't miss a thing, unless you highly value Minestrone with a dash of hot sauce. Go to Centurion instead.

What you will get with UA is better seats, often even a bed on domestic hub to hub flights if you can tell the difference between a 737-900 and a 777-200 and thus book yourself on flatbed flights with your hard earned dollars. The other thing you'll get is awesome exception handling. In addition you get to take lots of luggage when you come back from shopping in Europe, and at the very least economy plus for me and my family. Based on your user name you should be a flying professional, somewhat international, though likely not a 748 capt on Jet Airways. If so, enjoy your ID90 or whatever you get in rebates and study seat maps a bit. Provided you have that choice of plane while traveling on your ID90, pick a 777, 767 or 757 with flat beds instead of a 737. You'll see the difference the second you step aboard. And try the bloody mary mix instead of the super bland tomato juice.

Chasensfo wrote:
I agree with much of your post, but I think food is a bigger deal to premium passengers than you think. I don't want to buy overpriced airport food, or pack a sandwich for first class. That's ridiculous, in my opinion. Food in premium cabins on flights over 2 hours or so is something most premium pax have become accustomed to. When I pay for upgrades on a 4 hour flight around mealtime, I expect a fulfilling meal to pass the time and satisfy me as part of the added ticket cost and standard first/biz class fair. As I stated, looking forward to the "surprise" of what nice meal I'll have to dine to a movie and wine or a cocktail in cruise is something that more people look forward to than some of you on these boards seem to think. Premium pax pump enough money into the airlines in these days of massive record profits for the airline to feed us.

As far as liquor goes, drinking on the plane is much more appealing and relaxing than just taking shots before boarding...very, very different way of drinking...

This notion of an airline making more and more money, but ramping up outsourcing, forcing employees to part time to shed benefits, and taking away services and amenities is the true race to the bottom for the carriers participating. United possibly at the forefront, especially with their decades of passenger abuse(I wore a UA uniform at SFO for 4 years) and non-stop negative media attention these days.

It is a big deal, and you'll see good food on region 2 flights. Region 1 is rather stale / utilitarian. No US 3 has pulled out all the stops there. The closest you can get is a premium transcon, which will have better service than a flight to say BOG.

On the liquor front, my favorite is aged Havana Club, but I don't expect any US 3 carrier to serve even aged Flor de Cana, let alone fancy cocktails. UA has the Moscow Mule, and that's about as good as it gets for domestic / region 1 cocktails, unless you prefer the pre-mixed mai-tais or cranapple vodka or something. The F/As seem to try as much as they can :roll: with the resources they are given, but the fact that they have "too little" at their disposal isn't new. If I'm seated in Y+, there isn't much of an experience to induce excessive drinking anyway. My group was happy to see the mimosas and the bloody marys pop up when Polaris was rolled out, but that episode also illustrated quite nicely the constrains UA seems to face when expending beyond that.

I and my 1K friends aren't in favor of outsourcing any work btw, every time we see a true UA uniform we feel like "welcome home" because over the years there have been countless decades where actual UA staff (not some contractor) made a difference in our travel experience. We don't see any passenger abuse first hand because we aren't first in line to get offloaded or last to board. On the few occasions where someone is stuck in a club at the bar for too long the plane is either gone or the F/A puts our carry on in the F closet. But that's all part of long-term loyalty and year after year of sinking one's money into the same airline / hotel chain / rental car company / other supplier of goods and services.

VC10er

Fri May 11, 2018 2:32 pm

I am 1k and always pay for First on United. I have my own company and my company is paying- but it’s my business and I have decided after more than 3 million actual miles and my age I am often tired, so it’s the one treat I allow myself. I am not a snob, I just love the fact (as ua900 points out) that I can almost always get a bed seat on United on domestic trips, and if not they have a great new F seat on many (not all) narrow bodies. Although I much prefer Zacapa over Flor de Cana.
United is treated unfairly judged very often, I think after 3 million paid miles in 25 years and plenty of comparison with other airlines that United does a fine job and is getting much better than it has been. I’m betting on the success of United by 2020 and have even bought some stock- especially after Oracle of Omaha’s advice!

boilerla

Fri May 11, 2018 3:21 pm

The food on any airlines is not only disgusting, but also downright unhealthy. If you fly often enough to care about the food, then you shouldn't eat it. Since your tastebuds are seriously disadvantaged at 35,000 ft they often put enough salt and fat in airline food to exceed your daily allowance in one meal--given how small the meals are, that's pretty bad.

When I do a long road trip with many flights, I usually eat on the ground to help my heart and my waistline.

codc10

Fri May 11, 2018 3:26 pm

boilerla wrote:
The food on any airlines is not only disgusting, but also downright unhealthy. If you fly often enough to care about the food, then you shouldn't eat it. Since your tastebuds are seriously disadvantaged at 35,000 ft they often put enough salt and fat in airline food to exceed your daily allowance in one meal--given how small the meals are, that's pretty bad.

When I do a long road trip with many flights, I usually eat on the ground to help my heart and my waistline.

This is true... but the funny thing is, airline surveys commonly return with requests for "more healthy meal options", yet when "healthier" options are implemented, in practice they are among the least popular choices!

XAM2175

Fri May 11, 2018 6:15 pm

codc10 wrote:
This is true... but the funny thing is, airline surveys commonly return with requests for "more healthy meal options", yet when "healthier" options are implemented, in practice they are among the least popular choices!

In fairness, I wonder if at least some of that is down to crossed-wires between passengers, catering, and marketing. Certainly when I think of improving the health of airline meals I'm thinking of less salt, less fat, less sugar, and maybe even a little less reliance on refined carbs, not keeping everything the same and simply adding an extra choice straight out of "Fad Diet Weekly".

flyfresno

Fri May 11, 2018 6:45 pm

XAM2175 wrote:
codc10 wrote:

In fairness, I wonder if at least some of that is down to crossed-wires between passengers, catering, and marketing. Certainly when I think of improving the health of airline meals I'm thinking of less salt, less fat, less sugar, and maybe even a little less reliance on refined carbs, not keeping everything the same and simply adding an extra choice straight out of "Fad Diet Weekly".

I'm not sure how complicated the logistics are, but I am surprised that US airlines don't offer more "order ahead" meal options domestically, mostly for first class, but even for coach pax at a price. Looking at an airline like AirAsia, passengers have about 20 choices including many that are allergy and vegetarian friendly, and while I don't have any data to say for sure (there is no direct nutrition info, but you can sort of guess which items are high/low in fat/protein/carbs), quite a few seem to be on the healthier side, especially compared to US meals.

Also, just opinion, but I don't feel that food *has to be* high fat/salt/sugar to taste good at 39,000ft, but airlines are responding to passengers' tastes. There are two things going on here:

1) I believe that most Americans' taste buds are conditioned to expect high amounts of those three things to begin with, even on the ground, so while airlines might need to put *more* of them in to get the same effect, it's not JUST the altitude. I think that vegetables and fruit largely taste the same, and as long as chefs use a *slightly* fattier cut of meat (chicken thighs vs breasts, for example) that won't dry out too much, a lot of extra fat/salt/sugar does not really need to be added to whole foods for them to taste the same as they would in a healthy form on the ground.

2) I would guess that many people "splurge" on planes, so they don't care as much about what they are eating. Yeah, they might skip something like a jell-o salad with whipped cream on top, but for a high fat/salt dish like fettuccine alfredo, most people are going to look at it and say, meh, it's only this one meal. Of the people who would look at both fettuccine alfredo and the fatty cut of steak with mashed potatoes while on the ground and say "wow, both of these are unhealthy, I want neither," some likely just apply a "cheat meal" in the air, so there isn't enough left to convince the airlines to change.

VC10er

Sat May 12, 2018 2:14 am

I have probably only have ever had 3 airline meals in my entire life- even considering 5 Star Airlines where I thought “If this meal was served in a restaurant near home I’d go back for it - it’s that good”
MAYBE 4! A handful of good, and the rest are basically boredom relief.
If UA was to serve me an edible meal that tasted ok, that’s fine. WHO FLIES AN AIRLINE JUST FOR ITS FOOD??? Even in First or Business. For me it’s all about comfort and sleep. UA has historically had decent hard products, even in the recliner days.
That said, I will say that United pink yogurt in a white porcelain bowl that probably only has 3 live cultures and 5 tablespoons of sugar in it is AMAZING! But I don’t pretend it’s healthy.

MIflyer12

Sat May 12, 2018 3:21 am

tphuang wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
United Airline wrote:

Domestic routes include:

Unfortunately, the reality is DL is wasting money on the free food. It still has revenue advantage on the markets that it should have it and disadvantage in the markets that others should dominate. There were multiple thread on DL ft forum about cut backs to Delta one service and also Delta having the cheapest wine served in the air. If higher catering = higher revenue was actually a real thing, AA/UA would've added to it too. Unfortunately, the only market that seems to be competitive enough to warrant that is NYC-LAX/SFO.

And I'm speaking this as someone who thinks UA provides terrible service and don't fly with them.

There are only about 80 routes where Delta and United nonstops go head to head. Who has the revenue premiums in the majority of those markets?

tphuang

Sat May 12, 2018 9:32 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Domestic routes include:

There are only about 80 routes where Delta and United nonstops go head to head. Who has the revenue premiums in the majority of those markets?

That really depends on who has network advantage.

flydude380

Sat May 12, 2018 9:53 am

Of course they had to put tomato juice back on the menu! North-American passengers could get really angry sometimes if there is no tomato juice or ice! I’ve experienced it. I remember once as a ground agent for Air Transat (from a European station) the flight attendants did not want to close the doors until there was ice board!

The purser even went to the captain who came out and said: “we don’t have any ice on board”. I then told them “listen guys, besides the 15 Canadians and 4 Americans onboard, the rest of the pax on board are British and couldn’t care less about ice!

The purser then did an announcement warning the pax there was no ice (like seriously?) then reluctantly closed the door for pushback.

United Airline
Topic Author

Sat May 12, 2018 10:02 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
United Airline wrote:

Domestic routes include:

Thanks for the info. Do they serve HOT MEAL at all?

Peeter

Sat May 12, 2018 10:38 am

I've only flown with UA once, in Business. All drinks were served in plastic cups. Personally I don't mind, but I can imagine other business travellers would. It was kind of odd. Maybe they should change that before they change what's in them.

ua900

Sat May 12, 2018 8:26 pm

United Airline wrote:
Do they serve HOT MEAL at all?

You're asking the same questions over and over. Did you not read reply #73 somehow? Was it too hard for you to open the link to see what exactly the free meals consist of?

DL offers free meals in 12 domestic economy markets: http://news.delta.com/delta-debuts-free ... 12-markets

Peeter wrote:
I've only flown with UA once, in Business. All drinks were served in plastic cups. Personally I don't mind, but I can imagine other business travellers would. It was kind of odd. Maybe they should change that before they change what's in them.

Pre-departure beverages are served in plastic cups. Everything else in using glass or porcelain.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos