Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FromGSPtoChi
Topic Author

Legend Airlines existed for 8 months. The $133M lawsuit over its Love Field demise lives on

Tue May 08, 2018 9:41 pm

Interesting. I don't remember anything about Legend Airlines.

A lawsuit over the late Legend Airlines turns 10 this year — and to mark the occasion, a federal appeals court has vacated a judge's 2-year-old ruling that awarded more than $133 million to the financiers behind the short-lived carrier and its Dallas Love Field terminal.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... mise-lives

marcory

Re: Legend Airlines existed for 8 months. The $133M lawsuit over its Love Field demise lives on

Tue May 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Legend was created to take advantage of a loophole in the Wright Amendment. Planes with fewer than 57 passenger seats could fly beyond the 5-state Wright Amendment area, so Legend configured DC-9's in an all-business class layout. AA sued Legend for years to try to keep it from starting up, and then when it did start flying, AA configured a bunch of F-100s in a similar configuration to undercut Legend's prices. When Legend finally went under, AA got rid of the F-100 flights. In exchange for getting the Wright Amendment lifted, Love Field agreed to go down to 20 gates, which made the Legend terminal unnecessary, and its gates were torn down.

bob75013

Re: Legend Airlines existed for 8 months. The $133M lawsuit over its Love Field demise lives on

Tue May 08, 2018 11:05 pm

"In exchange for getting the Wright Amendment lifted, Love Field agreed to go down to 20 gates, which made the Legend terminal unnecessary, and its gates were torn down..

Your sentence should have read: In exchange for getting the Wright Amendment lifted, Love Field agreed to go down to 20 gates, which put the Legend gates over the 20 gate limit, and its gates were torn down.

I suspect that if the gates existed today, that DL would jump all over every one of them.

freakyrat

Wed May 09, 2018 12:09 am

bob75013 wrote:
"In exchange for getting the Wright Amendment lifted, Love Field agreed to go down to 20 gates, which made the Legend terminal unnecessary, and its gates were torn down..

Your sentence should have read: In exchange for getting the Wright Amendment lifted, Love Field agreed to go down to 20 gates, which put the Legend gates over the 20 gate limit, and its gates were torn down.

I suspect that if the gates existed today, that DL would jump all over every one of them.

The Legend Terminal was a seperate terminal off of Lemon Avenue and the ramp space was tight even for DC9 aircraft. If it was still in existence today Delta would have a heck of a time using Airbus A320 aircraft there.

EvanWSFO

Wed May 09, 2018 12:16 am

Legend was doomed regardless of the W.A. The cost of litigation and AA moving into DAL and matching their routes and fares never gave them a chance. Love Field is probably always going to be a FUBAR situation.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

EvanWSFO

Wed May 09, 2018 12:16 am

Legend was doomed regardless of the W.A. The cost of litigation and AA moving into DAL and matching their routes and fares never gave them a chance. Love Field is probably always going to be a FUBAR situation.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

knope2001

Wed May 09, 2018 2:24 am

Legend had some ex Midwest Express blood in leadership -- here's one of their timetables.

http://www.departedflights.com/LC040500p1.html

sccutler

Wed May 09, 2018 2:41 am

I flew on them once - RT to Los Angeles. Service was exemplary, a great experience. All except the way Chuck Norris (across the aisle from me) left his fingernail clippings in a pile on the leather seat. That was odd.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

bob75013

Wed May 09, 2018 4:32 am

I only had one flight on the airline - DAL/LAS. Seats were nice and roomy, but I was disappointed as the "first class service" did not include free liquor - unlike first class service on every other airline

AA737-823

Wed May 09, 2018 5:38 am

I flew on Legend for one roundtrip, DAL-IAD-DAL.
It was phenomenal. As a startup carrier, they'd gathered cabin crews who actually **WANTED** to be there.
And the food was outstanding.
They were also among the first carriers to offer seatback live TV via satellite.
Live flowers in the bulkheads, lavatories, and at gate areas.

Their reliability was a bit rough; the DC-9s came from Continental, and were totally trashed. They took a lot more capital than expected to overhaul, I recall reading at the time, and dispatch reliability wasn't great.
But when there were delays, the airline would cater in sandwiches and meals from fancy local area restaurants. And served them at the gate.

Their terminal was custom built, and required aircraft to be towed into and out of gates. The parking garage is still standing.

I attended the liquidation auction, and consequently have a house full of Legend Airlines stuff. Including about twelve billion Legend-branded post-it notes!

It doesn't surprise me that the creditors lawsuit is ongoing; these things seem to drag on until the original parties are all dead. It's only been in the last few years that the final payments were made from the Pan Am estate!

RollerRB211

Wed May 09, 2018 6:14 am

marcory wrote:
AA configured a bunch of F-100s in a similar configuration to undercut Legend's prices.

Undercut or aggressively match?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos