MLIAA
Topic Author

Could ANC ever grow into a TPAC hub?

Wed May 09, 2018 12:14 am

Bear with me. KEF has enjoyed huge success as a Trans-Atlantic connecting point between Europe and North America. WOW Air and Icelandair have grown exponentially in the last few years connecting people across the pond.

Alaska may not be interested now, but after seeing the success that WOW and Icelandair are having at KEF, could someone make ANC a connecting hub for passengers between North America and Asia?
A319 A320 A321 A332 B712 B722 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B763 B764 B772 B788 MD80 S340 E140 E145 E170 E175 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9

c933103

Re: Could ANC ever grow into a TPAC hub?

Wed May 09, 2018 12:19 am

It's becoming a monthly thread
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

EvanWSFO

Wed May 09, 2018 12:24 am

One word. Two letters. First letter is an 'N'. Your turn.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

G500Captain

Wed May 09, 2018 1:17 am

I’m in agreement with the other responders. No.

But to play devils advocate, the only way I could’ve seen this happening in the past would’ve been if AS was to purchase 757s or some sort of 767/A332 combi that obviously doesn’t exist. AS’s past and present fleet just doesn’t have the range to reach enough non-stop markets in Asia to make this profitable and to be able to be truly called a hub. In the future, a fleet of B788’s or NMA’s might have a chance to fulfil this roll, but it will also take some serious modifications to the ANC terminal. I really don’t see any airline (including AS) willing to put in the effort to pull this off.
Every time I get on an airliner, I’m reminded why I have a job.

MIflyer12

Wed May 09, 2018 1:30 am

MLIAA wrote:
Alaska may not be interested now, but after seeing the success that WOW and Icelandair are having at KEF, could someone make ANC a connecting hub for passengers between North America and Asia?

You're about 18 years late. ETOPS 2-engine aircraft with TPAC range are plentiful from Boeing and Airbus. KEF is a cheap fare play, still fairly low volume (compare Icelandair to Delta's TATL revenue passenger miles).

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/30/opin ... -pole.html

CarlosSi

Wed May 09, 2018 2:20 am

I guess the question to be asked is whether having “narrow body economics” with one stop is more efficient than using a wide body to fly a route nonstop.

With the former you can fly to smaller markets, however.

stl07

Wed May 09, 2018 2:29 am

I wouldn't diss this idea. The new A321neolr and MOM may change things, especially with increasing Chinese tourism.
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

c933103

Wed May 09, 2018 2:42 am

CarlosSi wrote:
I guess the question to be asked is whether having “narrow body economics” with one stop is more efficient than using a wide body to fly a route nonstop.

With the former you can fly to smaller markets, however.

Would also need to think about the labour cost difference between operating an US airlines vs a Chinese airlines
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

TerminalD

Wed May 09, 2018 2:47 am

All you need is an entrepreneur with $700-800m that wants to build a hub in ANC. Btw, if you find that, I have much better ideas for airlines, so have them call me first.

WPvsMW

Wed May 09, 2018 2:58 am

ANC is a hub today, just not for pax. :duck:

LAX772LR

Wed May 09, 2018 3:01 am

It long since was... yet airlines moved away from that model as soon as they were logistically able to do so.

What would incentivize them to go back?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

TransWorldOne

Wed May 09, 2018 3:08 am

I'm sorry, wasn't this just discussed ad nauseum in a thread a couple of weeks ago?

RWA380

Wed May 09, 2018 10:04 am

To the OP, it's not a big deal & I'm sure you, in the under of a year that you've been a member, likely haven't seen similar threads to this, but there are a few topics that do appear a lot & this is one. ANC is really not a great hub, it lacks the O/D that a successful hub requires, it also lacks necessity, aircraft today fly ORD-NRT with no need to stop in ANC.

The few Asia routes direct to Alaska come during the times the Aurora Borealis is visible & then there is some good demand, but the rest of the year the demand is just not there to ANC from Europe or Asia, mostly Alaskans looking for a month on Maui.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

FA9295

Wed May 09, 2018 12:35 pm

Essentially, the OP is comparing ANC as a possible TPAC hub to today's successful TATL business model produced at KEF from Icelandair and WOWair.

With that all said, ANC and KEF are like apples to oranges. Little comparison at all, really. Although, I would say, however, that the demand to ANC itself is much higher than people have stated on here. Just look at how many daily SEA-ANC flights there are.

mi5flyer

Wed May 09, 2018 12:56 pm

I have a business trip in ANC coming up. Was surprised that there are apparently no options to continue west to Asia unless you are a box. I wanted to extend my NW adventure over to Japan but not possible without returning to at least SEA or down to HNL on a 737? Figured some airline from the US or overseas would have some sort of option. There seemed to be a Russian carrier maybe - but 4 stops in Siberia on the way not desired either.

drgmobile

Wed May 09, 2018 1:06 pm

This looks at the situation backwards -- From the perspective of the routing rather than the perspective of what travellers want and what companies in the market can offer. Iceland is the home market for WOW and Icelandair and so its carriers have found a niche that allows them to offer tremendous service options for a market that size because they are filling the planes with connecting traffic. Any company serving Alaska is also free to operate from anywhere in the U.S. If the folks at Alaska Airlines wanted to fly trans-Pacific, they would do so from their Seattle hub.

TerminalD

Wed May 09, 2018 1:34 pm

FA9295 wrote:
Essentially, the OP is comparing ANC as a possible TPAC hub to today's successful TATL business model produced at KEF from Icelandair and WOWair.

With that all said, ANC and KEF are like apples to oranges. Little comparison at all, really. Although, I would say, however, that the demand to ANC itself is much higher than people have stated on here. Just look at how many daily SEA-ANC flights there are.

That data is all still there in the DOT archives from way back when there was non-stop passenger service. There was no significant local demand. The vast bulk of those SEA-ANC flights are sun-seekers, cruise tourists, and seasonal workers...plus the normal business and oil traffic between "nearby" (or nearest by) major USA cities.

The airport has been publicly pushing on this TPAC hub idea.

“We’re looking to offer airlines the opportunity to come directly into Anchorage, be able to transfer passengers in Anchorage — some of them like in Icelandair’s model will be able to get off here and be able to tour; do five, six, 10 days in Alaska — and then get back on a plane and continue on to their further destinations,” Szczesniak described. (Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport Manager Jim Szczesniak)
http://www.alaskajournal.com/2018-03-06 ... sion-china

BTW, how exactly how are they "offering" that? It's not even something they need to "offer". They have gates available. It's been possible since they had the same thing years ago. The problem is that nobody wants to do it.

Here's the problem, there's no local traffic to Asia and there never was. It was only there because of aircraft range limits. Despite having all those flights it never built any significant Asia traffic and it all withered away. KEF was the opposite, it grew. DXB is also similar. It was also a Waypoint hub, but now local traffic is over 30% which is akin to ATL.

The bottom line problem, somebody would have to bankroll ANC making a second try to build Asia traffic in the volume necessary to support multiple Asia flights which is what a hub requires. That will cost hundreds of millions of dollars in "investment" (AKA losses) before it could build up to be enough to be financially viable, if it ever did. Nobody is going to do that when essentially it was tried before and failed, except maybe government. If the State has $400-700m to plow into that without the taxpayers imprisoning them, then go for it, but I don't see anybody else taking the risk.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed May 09, 2018 1:37 pm

ANC would be a pretty small O&D base, but then so is KEF. It’s a niche market.

GF

LupineChemist

Wed May 09, 2018 1:52 pm

A big advantage that allowed the explosive growth was a low valued currency in Icelandic Kroner and revenue primarily in Dollars/Euros/Pounds

ISK has been getting more valuable, but it's a rare situation where a lower valued currency is helpful for an airline.

TerminalD

Wed May 09, 2018 2:07 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

According to MIDT, KEF is 46% local (O&D / Total Traffic). ANC's Asia traffic was 4% local when it had non-stop service.

NameOmitted

Wed May 09, 2018 2:23 pm

Yes, but for political, not economic reasons. If a steep carbon tax raised the price of fuel to the point where a stopover was more economic than a direct flight, and if Russia closed it's airspace, then things might look like the eighties again at ANC.

Not holding my breath.

FA9295

Wed May 09, 2018 4:06 pm

Here's another issue with a TPAC hub at ANC.

The only viable markets that, say, a 757 or A321LR could safely reach to/from ANC would be NRT/HND, ICN, PEK, and PVG (barely). All of these already have non-stop flights from many places in the USA, Canada, and even Mexico, so there would be no point in connecting passengers through ANC.

One argument for an ANC TPAC could be the "success" that Hawaiian Airlines has with their HNL hub. They can, and often do connect passengers from the mainland USA to destinations in Australia such as SYD and BNE, as well as major Asian markets in China, Korea and Japan. However, there is a very large O&D market to/from HNL for obvious reasons, while the O&D market to/from ANC is rather slim...

zakuivcustom

Wed May 09, 2018 4:37 pm

Another thing that makes KEF a good hub, but not ANC, is plane utilization. You can easily use a single plane in 24 hrs from NE/Midwest US/the most populous part of Canada to KEF, do a round trip from KEF to Europe "mainland" and back, then fly back to USA. The only major airports you can reach in ~4 hrs flight from ANC is Pacific NW (SEA/PDX), SLC, and maybe SFO in US (There's YYC, YVR, and YEG for Canada also if you want to go there). Anything further than that, you would now need 2 planes instead of 1.

Meanwhile, ~4 hr flights from KEF to Europe covered UK, France, Germany, Benelux, Scandinavia and as far south as Northern Italy and Spain and as far east as Poland. That's 90% of the places where your average American would go to in Europe for vacation or business.

flyPIT

Wed May 09, 2018 5:22 pm

TerminalD wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

According to MIDT, KEF is 46% local (O&D / Total Traffic). ANC's Asia traffic was 4% local when it had non-stop service.

How long ago was that 4%? Over 20 years since Russia allowed over flights? Anchorage has grown tremendously since then, as has Alaska tourism. Furthermore, we are now in an age of alliances and airline loyalty (that Alaska Airlines has in ANC). What kind of Loyalty did KLM, Swissair, etc have with local Alaskan's? Did those airlines even heavily promote Alaska? They probably preferred their flights to be full with passengers traveling between Europe and Asia. When those flights were full, how much room did that leave for passengers whose origin or destination was ANC? As far as KEF's 46%, total traffic at KEF has more than doubled in 3 years. So with today's 46%, 3 years ago KEF was all O&D (not the case) or the low fares and new markets offered have caused KEF's O&D to grow considerable (likely the case). I don't see why similar O&D growth wouldn't play out like that in ANC. ANC has some of the highest wages per capita in the US, and is very high yielding.

When the idea of a KEF style hub at ANC is brought up, I think the intention is to serve unserved nonstop markets with a convenient, affordable one stop. Minneapolis-Sapporo. Portland-Seoul. San Francisco- Petropavlovsk, etc. IIRC ANC-Petro already has seasonal flights.

I'm not saying an ANC hub would or would not work either way, but I do think some key points are being missed or misrepresented here when the argument is being made.
FLYi

SumChristianus

Wed May 09, 2018 8:33 pm

With the right carrier, I think it could work. A321neoLR and 797 would help and flight schedule times would be "interesting" but....
Imagine the following schedule
(MON) 8am SFO - 11am ANC : 2pm ANC - 2pm NRT +1 (TUE) [or 3pm back to SFO or a US destination]
(TUE) 6pm NRT - 8am ANC : 10am ANC - 3pm SFO (TUE) [or afternoon flight back to Asia]
(TUE) 4pm SFO - 7pm ANC : 9pm ANC - 9pm NRT +1 (WED)
(WED) 11pm NRT - 1pm ANC : 3pm ANC - 8pm SFO (then RON to 8am SFO-ANC and repeat on THU)

3 aircraft could operate 2x daily roundtrips on each of SFO-ANC and ANC-NRT.

With scale this sort of service could work, and there (might) be enough aircraft time to use a similar schedule for longer distance markets like BOS-ANC and ANC-PVG.
I just don't know how you would start such an operation at a small scale. US-Asia is pretty saturated with capacity and low fares already, but WOW Air shows that growth can be stimulated in a mature market even with one stop flights.
Alaska needs to market themselves as the new Iceland to build up O/D demand while perhaps a carrier like the new World Airways could look into an ANC operation.

The Asia-ANC and ANC-North America segments could flow aircraft independently of each other in a hypothetical ANC hub operation, but again such an operation would work best from a scheduling perspective at a large scale, something I doubt the North America-Asia market can support at present.

An ANC hub would need feed from FAI in Alaska at a minimum and perhaps an ANC hub carrier could target US-ANC-Hawaii flows as well….

A321neoLR range circle from ANC, KEF, and some sample routings through ANC: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=JFK-anc-nrt%0D%0Abos-anc-icn%0D%0Amco-anc-pvg%0D%0Alax-anc-kix%0D%0Asfo-anc-pek%0D%0Asea-anc-tpe%0D%0A&R=3800nm%40anc%0D%0A3800nm%40kef&MS=wls&DU=mi&SG=0.77&SU=mach
UA DL LH NW AA --- Next IND-ATL-DEN: WN 73G/738
"Born in Wonder, Brought to Wisdom"

CarlosSi

Wed May 09, 2018 11:03 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
With the right carrier, I think it could work. A321neoLR and 797 would help and flight schedule times would be "interesting" but....
Imagine the following schedule
(MON) 8am SFO - 11am ANC : 2pm ANC - 2pm NRT +1 (TUE) [or 3pm back to SFO or a US destination]
(TUE) 6pm NRT - 8am ANC : 10am ANC - 3pm SFO (TUE) [or afternoon flight back to Asia]
(TUE) 4pm SFO - 7pm ANC : 9pm ANC - 9pm NRT +1 (WED)
(WED) 11pm NRT - 1pm ANC : 3pm ANC - 8pm SFO (then RON to 8am SFO-ANC and repeat on THU)

3 aircraft could operate 2x daily roundtrips on each of SFO-ANC and ANC-NRT.

With scale this sort of service could work, and there (might) be enough aircraft time to use a similar schedule for longer distance markets like BOS-ANC and ANC-PVG.
I just don't know how you would start such an operation at a small scale. US-Asia is pretty saturated with capacity and low fares already, but WOW Air shows that growth can be stimulated in a mature market even with one stop flights.
Alaska needs to market themselves as the new Iceland to build up O/D demand while perhaps a carrier like the new World Airways could look into an ANC operation.

The Asia-ANC and ANC-North America segments could flow aircraft independently of each other in a hypothetical ANC hub operation, but again such an operation would work best from a scheduling perspective at a large scale, something I doubt the North America-Asia market can support at present.

An ANC hub would need feed from FAI in Alaska at a minimum and perhaps an ANC hub carrier could target US-ANC-Hawaii flows as well….

A321neoLR range circle from ANC, KEF, and some sample routings through ANC: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=JFK-anc-nrt%0D%0Abos-anc-icn%0D%0Amco-anc-pvg%0D%0Alax-anc-kix%0D%0Asfo-anc-pek%0D%0Asea-anc-tpe%0D%0A&R=3800nm%40anc%0D%0A3800nm%40kef&MS=wls&DU=mi&SG=0.77&SU=mach

Alternatively, I've hypothesized using ANC as an airport for aircraft from the continental US to bounce off from to reach Asia (think SMF-ANC-NRT, for example). Certainly ANC makes for many interesting (though perhaps not feasible) ideas for routing aircraft with less range, and perhaps even smaller size to allow for more direct access across the Pacific between smaller markets. All since the infrastructure is there and could be expanded.

KICT

Wed May 09, 2018 11:35 pm

Could pigs ever fly? Coming soon to a non aviation forum near you.
People are saying. Believe me.

wave46

Thu May 10, 2018 12:51 am

The idea behind KEF (aside from being the primary gateway to Iceland) was to be able to have narrowbody economics on transatlantic routes that would ordinarily require widebody aircraft. It is also well positioned for high utilization of aircraft fleets.

Thus, companies like Icelandair or WOW can use 757s and A321s for the bulk of their routes and offer lower costs for travel. As a bonus, they can encourage a lot of additional tourism to Iceland on the layover.

ANC would be pushing the limits of current narrowbody aircraft on the Pacific routes (most routes are 5500->7000km). Given that Chinese carriers are already offering cheap non-stop flights to Asia from North America, I don't think a narrowbody operation would succeed, even if such an aircraft existed (the 797 doesn't exist yet).

EvanWSFO

Thu May 10, 2018 2:30 am

mi5flyer wrote:
I have a business trip in ANC coming up. Was surprised that there are apparently no options to continue west to Asia unless you are a box. I wanted to extend my NW adventure over to Japan but not possible without returning to at least SEA or down to HNL on a 737? Figured some airline from the US or overseas would have some sort of option. There seemed to be a Russian carrier maybe - but 4 stops in Siberia on the way not desired either.

ANC's glory days were when aircraft could not overfly the Soviet Union and did not have the range that the arrival of the 744 allowed. I seriously doubt there is enough O&D for flights to Asia. If AS ever considers TPAC, they will buy 787's and fly them from SEA.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

airbazar

Thu May 10, 2018 2:13 pm

MLIAA wrote:
Bear with me. KEF has enjoyed huge success as a Trans-Atlantic connecting point between Europe and North America. WOW Air and Icelandair have grown exponentially in the last few years connecting people across the pond.

Geographically and economically, yes it could. Pretty much every flight from the Western half of N.America to Asia flies over ANC. If WOW, FI, SK, DY can connect N.America to Asia via their Northern Europe hubs I don't see why an airline wouldn't be able to do the same via ANC. The big problem is politics. Good luck getting the U.S. government to eliminate the need to clear immigration and customs for every single passenger connecting in ANC. That's the big hurdle, IMO.

32andBelow

Thu May 10, 2018 2:17 pm

airbazar wrote:
MLIAA wrote:

Geographically and economically, yes it could. Pretty much every flight from the Western half of N.America to Asia flies over ANC. If WOW, FI, SK, DY can connect N.America to Asia via their Northern Europe hubs I don't see why an airline wouldn't be able to do the same via ANC. The big problem is politics. Good luck getting the U.S. government to eliminate the need to clear immigration and customs for every single passenger connecting in ANC. That's the big hurdle, IMO.

I thought anchorage already had a customs waiver for something like that.

afcjets

Thu May 10, 2018 5:25 pm

airbazar wrote:

How is that different from any other US TPAC hub, except for the fact that clearing customs in ANC would probably be quicker than somewhere like LAX or SFO.

Iceland has no domestic flights, 100% of their connections are between two international flights. The only likely places outside the US that might connect to Asia via a TPAC hub at ANC are YVR and MEX.

bzcat

Thu May 10, 2018 6:41 pm

32andBelow wrote:
airbazar wrote:
MLIAA wrote:

I thought anchorage already had a customs waiver for something like that.

ANC has a waiver that allows passengers to deplane during tech stop. It was setup during the days when Europe to Asia flights had to refuel at ANC. The passengers are held in a room and they go back on the plane after refuel and catering is completed.

This waiver wouldn't apply in a hypothetical ANC hub operation because those passengers will be arriving at ANC on a schedule stop, not a tech stop.

The waiver also didn't apply when Asia-US flights had to use ANC to refuel... all passengers cleared immigration and custom at ANC because their destination was the US (so you enter at first port of entry).

airbazar

Thu May 10, 2018 6:53 pm

afcjets wrote:
How is that different from any other US TPAC hub, except for the fact that clearing customs in ANC would probably be quicker than somewhere like LAX or SFO.

It isn't but those hubs have a far greater percentage of O&D traffic while for ANC you'd have a far greater percentage of connecting passengers. If I have to spend an hour in line to clear CBP I'd rather do it at my destination than at an intermediary point like ANC. Think about it, you fly 7 hours on a red-eye, get off the plane, wait 1 hour in line, get back on the plane, fly another 4 hours to your final destination, Yuck. In addition to that, geography would allow a narrowbody aircraft like a NEO or MAX to reach Japan, S.Korea and China, which you can't do from any other US TPAC hub.

strfyr51

Thu May 10, 2018 7:05 pm

MLIAA wrote:

Anchorage is already a TransPac cargo hub. A Passenger hub? Not likely since most of the long range airplanes can already overfly ANC from the EU to Asia and the US to Asia for SURE. But it is there as an alternate and is usually a re-clear (Re-File) Destination for Europe to Asia bound flights as much as Nadi is for US west coast to Australia routings.

lavalampluva

Thu May 10, 2018 7:40 pm

IMO I think PDL would do better for flights to Southern/Western Europe than ANC would be for Trans-Pacific destinations.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

Bald1983

Thu May 10, 2018 7:53 pm

I would say no. Anchorage used to be a busy hub for flights from Europe to Asia but that was because Soviet and Chinese airspace was largely closed. Although a second cold war is well on the way, thus far, Russia has no closed off its airspace, nor has China.

2travel2know2

Fri May 11, 2018 2:14 am

If ANC still is the only U.S. airport where TWOV is allowed, that would entice an Asian Star Alliance airline, to use it as stop en-route to PTY or BOG.
Also true, if AV would want to fly to NRT, PVG, PEK, ICN... from BOG and/or SAL.
IMHO, CA flying via ANC to HAV, PTY and MEX would make its product more attractive for those in need of U.S. visas to fly via U.S.A. airports.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

SEAflyer97

Fri May 11, 2018 2:43 am

If AS wants to operate TPAC, they would by 787 and use SEA instead of ANC. Don't see that coming anytime soon.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos