Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vulindlela744
Topic Author

Why are Southwest’s Flights always so bumpy?

Wed May 09, 2018 9:15 pm

I fly SW a lot (few times a week) and also UA, DL and AA and I have to say SW has the bumpiest rides ever. All the other carriers are so smooth? Anyone know why??

stlgph

Re: Why are Southwest’s Flights always so bumpy?

Wed May 09, 2018 9:16 pm

Try flying DL, AA, and UA a few times a week and see what happens.

I bet you'll never guess. In a million years. EVER.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

vulindlela744
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2018 9:19 pm

Well I’m on DL right now and not a bump. Was on AA last week and not a bump. Smooth as can be

stlgph

Wed May 09, 2018 9:19 pm

Not one? Wait til landing.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

SWApilotfarmer

Wed May 09, 2018 9:23 pm

vulindlela744 wrote:
I fly SW a lot (few times a week) and also UA, DL and AA and I have to say SW has the bumpiest rides ever. All the other carriers are so smooth? Anyone know why??

I can only assume you are kidding. I just don’t even know what to say. We all fly through the same airspace. If we are bumpy they are bumpy. Try again.

kiowa

Wed May 09, 2018 9:25 pm

similar to cars-small aircraft bump around more than larger aircraft. RJs and 737s will get a bumpier ride than a 767 or 777. I haven't been on an A380 but I suspect it is a smoother ride in general.

SPREE34

Wed May 09, 2018 9:27 pm

The turbulence gods are attracted to canyon blue. I say close this one now.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

hOMSaR

Since Southwest is a low-cost carrier, they don’t pay the air construction fees that the others do, so they’re relegated to the backroads of the air traffic network, with more potholes and such. Their higher fleet usage also means they don’t have time to inflate the wings as much, which can result in a bumpier ride.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

BoeingGuy

SWApilotfarmer wrote:
vulindlela744 wrote:

I can only assume you are kidding. I just don’t even know what to say. We all fly through the same airspace. If we are bumpy they are bumpy. Try again.

SW didn’t buy the option for turbulence suppression on their 737s. The other airlines purchased it so that’s why their flights are smoother.

MalevTU134

Being originally a low cost airline (THE original low cost airline) WN never ordered the optional ABRS on their B737s, not even on the ones they operate today. That is the reason for the experience you have had.

MalevTU134

Wed May 09, 2018 9:29 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
SWApilotfarmer wrote:
vulindlela744 wrote:

SW didn’t buy the option for turbulence suppression on their 737s. The other airlines purchased it so that’s why their flights are smoother.

You beat me to it! :lol:
Last edited by MalevTU134 on Wed May 09, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nine4nine

Wed May 09, 2018 9:33 pm

The cockpit of the 737 for Southwest was specially designed by Boeing for this task. They removed the Yaw Damper switch with a Add Bumps switch. They felt that if passengers were paying less for fares than at legacy carriers they could get away with offering a sub-par ride to passengers.
717, 727-100, 727-200, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 742, 748, 752, 753, 762, 763, 772, 77W, 787-10, DC9, MD80/88/90, DC10, 319, 220-300, 320, 321, 321n, 332, 333, CS100, CRJ200, Q400, E175, E190, ERJ145, EMB120

gatibosgru

Wed May 09, 2018 9:36 pm

Confirmation bias?
@DadCelo

Chemist

Wed May 09, 2018 10:02 pm

The cabin crew is very cheerful, they tend to dance around and jump a bit during singing briefings, etc. All that motion creates more turbulence than other more sedate crews.

MDW22L31C

Wed May 09, 2018 10:05 pm

It seem when landing at any airport SWA slams its planes down on the runway.

wxtech

Wed May 09, 2018 10:06 pm

SWA pilots tend to do more hand flying vs the legacies who use the autopilot.

Noreastshuttle

Wed May 09, 2018 10:10 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
Since Southwest is a low-cost carrier, they don’t pay the air construction fees that the others do, so they’re relegated to the backroads of the air traffic network, with more potholes and such. Their higher fleet usage also means they don’t have time to inflate the wings as much, which can result in a bumpier ride.

:lol: :laughing: love this explaination
BOS-WASH Megalopolis

AirKevin

Wed May 09, 2018 10:22 pm

vulindlela744 wrote:
Well I’m on DL right now and not a bump. Was on AA last week and not a bump. Smooth as can be

In the past, I've flown two American flights that had quite a few bumps, one of which resulted in me having difficulty trying to get back to my seat on board a 777. A United flight I flew out of Narita hit a few bumps on departure, and a Northwest flight I was on hit clear air turbulence that dropped the plane enough for my head to hit the ceiling. What's your point.
kiowa wrote:
similar to cars-small aircraft bump around more than larger aircraft. RJs and 737s will get a bumpier ride than a 767 or 777. I haven't been on an A380 but I suspect it is a smoother ride in general.

Quite the opposite, actually. My experience is that if I'm driving down the highway and hit a bump, it's just a slight bump when I'm in a car. In a tractor-trailer, when I hit that same bump on the same highway, I'll really feel it. My guess is the air ride on board the truck, whereas such doesn't exist in cars.
Captain Kevin

uconn99

Wed May 09, 2018 10:22 pm

Ever notice all the peanuts on the floor of a SW plane? I bet the peanuts hitting the floor has something to do with the bumpy ride.

SWApilotfarmer

Wed May 09, 2018 10:31 pm

MDW22L31C wrote:

Good. Floating an airplane down the runway trying to impress passengers that don’t care with a good landing does nothing but waste usable runway. All the stuff we have to help stop us (reverse thrust, auto brakes, speedbrakes, etc) doesn’t work until those mains spin up on touchdown.

Antarius

Wed May 09, 2018 10:36 pm

Noreastshuttle wrote:
hOMSaR wrote:

:lol: :laughing: love this explaination

WN also, as a low cost carrier, frequently saves money by not actually taking off. So the bumps you feel are the airplane rolling along the ground between destinations on unpaved farmland.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

KMCOFlyer

Wed May 09, 2018 10:37 pm

It seems to me like WN planes taxi on the ground faster than legacy carriers. Is it just me or is this actually true?

airliner371

Wed May 09, 2018 10:39 pm

Listen, everyone's experience is different, I don't doubt your experiences, but there is no scientific reason as to why that would be, it's just how it turned out based on when and where you were flying.

KFLLCFII

Wed May 09, 2018 10:39 pm

Southwest is too cheap to have autopilots installed.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

wjcandee

Wed May 09, 2018 10:44 pm

The simple answer -- once again -- is that statistical correlation does not prove causation.

CarlosSi

Wed May 09, 2018 10:44 pm

Better to be bumped by Southwest in the air than by United before you even leave the gate.

ilovelamp

Wed May 09, 2018 10:45 pm

KMCOFlyer wrote:
It seems to me like WN planes taxi on the ground faster than legacy carriers. Is it just me or is this actually true?

Definitely true. Their block times are typically a few minutes less gate to gate than other flights on the same city pair so they have to move faster.

For any WN pilots in this thread, do you have any kind of access to turbulence apps/data while airborne? I know Delta and United pilots have approved apps that use in-flight WiFi that help with turbulence avoidance. The former is making a big push to use it to help reduce FA injuries.

Lastly, I’ll say WN loves flying high even on short legs. My guess is it could be possible that they ride out bad rides to keep the efficiency gains from higher altitudes.

Q

Wed May 09, 2018 10:50 pm

What are you flying between cities bumpy a few times in a week? If you were,flying Denver to Salt Lake City. Rocky Mountains ALWAYS bumpy because of mountains are crazy up and down air flows a millions of times. If you flying between inland flat you will not see any chance bumpy was much often. Get it?

Q

Yflyer

Wed May 09, 2018 10:54 pm

AirKevin wrote:
kiowa wrote:

Quite the opposite, actually. My experience is that if I'm driving down the highway and hit a bump, it's just a slight bump when I'm in a car. In a tractor-trailer, when I hit that same bump on the same highway, I'll really feel it. My guess is the air ride on board the truck, whereas such doesn't exist in cars.

I think it has to do with the vehicle's wheelbase and where you're sitting in relation to the axles. In a car with a short wheelbase like an MX-5/Miata you'll feel the bumps a lot more than a Lincoln Town Car. Of course the suspensions on those two cars would be tuned very differently as well, but the wheelbase definitely also plays a role. And in a COE tractor trailer where you're sitting directly over the axle you'll feel the bumps a lot more than in a conventional truck. And if you're sitting in the very back of a bus, behind the rear axle, you really feel the bumps.

Actually that's true for planes, too, and that could be a plausible explanation for the OP's observation. Maybe every time the OP flies Southwest he ends up with a seat towards the back of the plane, where you feel the bumps more. And on the legacies he pre-selects a seat over the wings, where the ride is smoother.

Or maybe Southwest opted for the sport suspension on their 737s, which gives you better handling but sacrifices ride quality.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed May 09, 2018 10:54 pm

Two planes in formation don’t get the same bumps.

GF

BoeingGuy

Wed May 09, 2018 10:55 pm

SWApilotfarmer wrote:
MDW22L31C wrote:

Good. Floating an airplane down the runway trying to impress passengers that don’t care with a good landing does nothing but waste usable runway. All the stuff we have to help stop us (reverse thrust, auto brakes, speedbrakes, etc) doesn’t work until those mains spin up on touchdown.

It also depends on the runway. SWA flies to airports like SNA, MDW, and BUR with shorter runways. It is necessary to set the airplane down firmly to get your stopping equipment happening, as the other posted stated.

We landed at SNA on AS a few months ago. My girlfriend was startled when the Captain set down hard. That was exactly the right thing to do on that runway.

SWApilotfarmer

Wed May 09, 2018 10:58 pm

ilovelamp wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:

Definitely true. Their block times are typically a few minutes less gate to gate than other flights on the same city pair so they have to move faster.

For any WN pilots in this thread, do you have any kind of access to turbulence apps/data while airborne? I know Delta and United pilots have approved apps that use in-flight WiFi that help with turbulence avoidance. The former is making a big push to use it to help reduce FA injuries.

Lastly, I’ll say WN loves flying high even on short legs. My guess is it could be possible that they ride out bad rides to keep the efficiency gains from higher altitudes.

We do have access to turbulence information on our iPads and info from dispatch and most importantly pilots ahead of us reporting the rides. It can sometimes change rapidly and sometimes there is just no place to go. Ive heard controllers report bad rides at all altitudes between 26000 and 43000. We will even be filed on turbulence avoidance routes by dispatch around known bad areas.

The 700 is a rocket ship and we will go to 390 or 400 on a one hour flight because it is efficient. That being said we will happily do that same flight at 240 if the ride is better. Know one enjoys getting bounced around all day including us.

TWA772LR

Wed May 09, 2018 10:58 pm

MDW22L31C wrote:

If have to say this is actually true.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

alggag

Wed May 09, 2018 11:01 pm

I have noticed that my flights on WN always seem to be a little bumpy but I just assumed that maybe the 737 is just an inherently bumpier ride in rough air versus newer designs (if that makes any sense). Whenever I get a narrow body on another airline it's always an A32X or an RJ so I can't really make a fair comparison.

reffado

Wed May 09, 2018 11:02 pm

SWApilotfarmer wrote:
MDW22L31C wrote:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought the purpose was to reduce stress on components to a minimum, increasing their lifespan (or making premature replacement less likely)?

PS: if this was a sarcastic reply, just ignore me, I’ve had a long day and it might have flown over my head, no pun intended.

WN732

Wed May 09, 2018 11:10 pm

reffado wrote:
SWApilotfarmer wrote:
MDW22L31C wrote:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought the purpose was to reduce stress on components to a minimum, increasing their lifespan (or making premature replacement less likely)?

PS: if this was a sarcastic reply, just ignore me, I’ve had a long day and it might have flown over my head, no pun intended.

My instructor taught me "Tires and brakes cost money, but runways are free." The faster you touch down, the less braking action is required.

ozark1

Wed May 09, 2018 11:21 pm

I am hopeful that this thread was begun as a source of levity and distraction from the difficult times in which we live. If it wasn't, then please be my guest and sit with me in the aft galley of any aircraft that has a "T" tail. The 319/20/21 require dozens of small compartments to be latched while holding on for dear life as you implore people who are stumbling in and out of the lavatories to please sit down. The 737 rises and falls and can violently tilt and rock with no forewarning. The 777 crew rest areas have seat belts on the beds so you won't hit the ceiling. So I think maybe it might be the pilots playing a joke on the cabin crew of Southwest who, amazingly, deliver all drinks on trays.

barney captain

Wed May 09, 2018 11:26 pm

We use WSI as well as Jeppesen charts/wx. The WSI app has tons of real time reports and PIREPS to avoid bad areas.

Southeast Of Disorder

smokeybandit

Wed May 09, 2018 11:34 pm

It's because all the other airlines fly around the speed bumps instead of going over them

Confuscius

Wed May 09, 2018 11:57 pm

Perhaps the extra baggage in the cargo hold?
Ain't I a stinker?

CplKlinger

Wed May 09, 2018 11:58 pm

nine4nine wrote:
The cockpit of the 737 for Southwest was specially designed by Boeing for this task. They removed the Yaw Damper switch with a Add Bumps switch. They felt that if passengers were paying less for fares than at legacy carriers they could get away with offering a sub-par ride to passengers.

They put that next to the Chemtrails switch?

/s

NYCSKYGUY

Thu May 10, 2018 12:00 am

This may surprise you but oftentimes autopilots can be rough. Especially in vertical modes.

bigb

Thu May 10, 2018 12:10 am

wxtech wrote:
SWA pilots tend to do more hand flying vs the legacies who use the autopilot.

Not true......

kabq737

Thu May 10, 2018 12:50 am

Ok here’s a fun anecdote. Recently I was at ABQ Center. As we walked around the control room we were allowed to ask the controllers questions. Being interested in airline procedures I liked to ask the controllers “are there any airlines that are easier or harder to deal with?”

ALMOST EVERY CONTROLLER said that Southwest was the easiest because they “aren’t as picky about weather” and that they “tend to punch through weather more often if it isn’t dangerous.”

Not sure how accurate this was but it was definitely the consensus of the controllers I talked to at the center.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46

atcsundevil

Thu May 10, 2018 12:51 am

vulindlela744 wrote:

Nonsense. Delta is legendary for its light chop. They may as well change their callsign.

KMCOFlyer wrote:

It's absolutely true. Southwest pilots inherently want to do everything fast. It's a remnant of their past life of ten minute turns. I had an instructor in college who was a former WN captain for many years, and he often told stories about pushing back with passengers still standing in the aisles. Being the fastest was the only way to make money in the airline industry in the 80s, especially at their fares back then.

While I am skeptical that WN aircraft are somehow more prone to bad rides, there may be a shred of validity to it. WN pilots are always happy to go fast and get shortcuts. They almost get giddy when they hear phrases like "Maintain (speed) or greater" or "delete the speed restrictions". So, there may be a little bit of truth to the OP's question, because they're more apt to want to go fast compared to other airlines, in my experience.

atcsundevil

Thu May 10, 2018 12:59 am

kabq737 wrote:
Ok here’s a fun anecdote. Recently I was at ABQ Center. As we walked around the control room we were allowed to ask the controllers questions. Being interested in airline procedures I liked to ask the controllers “are there any airlines that are easier or harder to deal with?”

ALMOST EVERY CONTROLLER said that Southwest was the easiest because they “aren’t as picky about weather” and that they “tend to punch through weather more often if it isn’t dangerous.”

Not sure how accurate this was but it was definitely the consensus of the controllers I talked to at the center.

It's a little bit accurate, but I wouldn't entirely agree. ZAB doesn't exactly see a whole lot of convective activity to have frequent enough experiences with weather deviations. It always depends on the pilots, but I'll agree that Southwest crews often tend to be more than happy to be guinea pigs...particularly when it comes to trying to pick out a hole in a line of weather. I wouldn't say they're the easiest to deal with, because like I mentioned in my last post, they always want to go fast...to the point of annoyance, sometimes. It's like having a kid ask, "Are we there yet?" when we clearly are not there yet. As with most things, there are plenty of generalizations, but it always comes down to who's actually sitting in the cockpit.

CATIIIevery5yrs

Thu May 10, 2018 1:04 am

TWA772LR wrote:
MDW22L31C wrote:

If have to say this is actually true.

I like to describe it as 2G’s vertical on touchdown, 2G’s lateral on the deceleration. I’ve always made the assumption SWA 737’s (or maybe all 737’s) do not have break temp indications. Otherwise they’d never get their planes back off the gate in the time they generally turn a plane around.

AirKevin

Thu May 10, 2018 1:15 am

Yflyer wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
kiowa wrote:

I think it has to do with the vehicle's wheelbase and where you're sitting in relation to the axles. In a car with a short wheelbase like an MX-5/Miata you'll feel the bumps a lot more than a Lincoln Town Car. Of course the suspensions on those two cars would be tuned very differently as well, but the wheelbase definitely also plays a role. And in a COE tractor trailer where you're sitting directly over the axle you'll feel the bumps a lot more than in a conventional truck. And if you're sitting in the very back of a bus, behind the rear axle, you really feel the bumps.

Maybe. I've never driven a cab-over before, as there are very few of them still in existence here in the United States. My experience with cars is mostly SUVs, and the few that I've driven all seem the same to me. As for trucks, I've driven the Peterbilt 386, Kenworth T660, and now for the last three years, the Kenworth T680. On our trucks, not only do the axles on the back of the truck have air suspension, the back of the cab itself also has air suspension. In addition, the seats in this particular truck also have air ride. Hit a bump hard enough, and things start falling down.
Captain Kevin

kabq737

Thu May 10, 2018 1:17 am

atcsundevil wrote:
kabq737 wrote:

It's a little bit accurate, but I wouldn't entirely agree. ZAB doesn't exactly see a whole lot of convective activity to have frequent enough experiences with weather deviations. It always depends on the pilots, but I'll agree that Southwest crews often tend to be more than happy to be guinea pigs...particularly when it comes to trying to pick out a hole in a line of weather. I wouldn't say they're the easiest to deal with, because like I mentioned in my last post, they always want to go fast...to the point of annoyance, sometimes. It's like having a kid ask, "Are we there yet?" when we clearly are not there yet. As with most things, there are plenty of generalizations, but it always comes down to who's actually sitting in the cockpit.

Thanks for your input I’m glad to see more information! I was just sharing my experience but yours is far more extensive and first hand. Either way it may explain a little bit of Southwest having bumpy fights...
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46

einkleinerknabe

Thu May 10, 2018 1:41 am

kabq737 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how many questions were there about Breaking Bad?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos