Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sccutler

Re: Why are Southwest’s Flights always so bumpy?

Thu May 10, 2018 2:18 am

hOMSaR wrote:
Since Southwest is a low-cost carrier, they don’t pay the air construction fees that the others do, so they’re relegated to the backroads of the air traffic network, with more potholes and such. Their higher fleet usage also means they don’t have time to inflate the wings as much, which can result in a bumpier ride.

Add me to the list of folks who LOVE this response.

But let me tell you, my Mom believed something very much like this; years ago (well, it had to be, because she has been dead for just shy of ten years ago...), she complained that her flight to SFO to connect to Qantas and her onward flight to Australia was very bumpy, and she was absolutely convinced it was because Braniff could not afford to buy "...the better altitudes." She resolved that, next time she went, she was taking Delta or American. Of course, she never went again...

---

The roughest flight I ever took (by a very considerable margin) was on AirNZ, SYD-LAX, new year's day, 2000. Try as they could (and man alive, did they try!), no altitude yielded smooth air, and I mean it was the kind of rough that made it almost impossible to take a drink of water, much less walk around the cabin or use the lav. It was simply miserable.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

wxtech

Thu May 10, 2018 2:55 am

bigb wrote:
wxtech wrote:
SWA pilots tend to do more hand flying vs the legacies who use the autopilot.

Not true......

Umm I was joking as were about everyone else responding to this thread.

SXDFC

Thu May 10, 2018 2:56 am

Next time you’re in the airport, tell them you’re interested in “Turbulence Insurance” and I am sure some folks will help you out! :-)

william

Thu May 10, 2018 3:28 am

wxtech wrote:
bigb wrote:
wxtech wrote:

Not true......

Um....Back in the 80s and maybe early 90s there was some truth to this "urban myth". SWA pilots would be quoted in stating such on short sectors, like AUS-HOU or AUS-DAL they hand flew the aircraft. At the time SWA was operating 737-200s and 300s, and SWA didn't order their aircraft with much automation. Now with autothrottles and SOP wanting the aircraft on autopilot as soon as gear is up ,those days are long gone.

kabq737

Thu May 10, 2018 3:32 am

einkleinerknabe wrote:
kabq737 wrote:
Ok here’s a fun anecdote. Recently I was at ABQ Center. As we walked around the control room we were allowed to ask the controllers questions. Being interested in airline procedures I liked to ask the controllers “are there any airlines that are easier or harder to deal with?”

Just out of curiosity, how many questions were there about Breaking Bad?

Best question of the day. Since we were all ABQ locals there were none.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46

Chemist

Thu May 10, 2018 4:36 am

It's definitely true that you want to plant the plane on the ground quickly when the runway is short. At landing speeds, you're eating up around 200ft every second. On a 5000 or 6000 foot runway, a 5 second float is around 20% of your runway.

robsaw

Thu May 10, 2018 4:42 am

vulindlela744 wrote:
Well I’m on DL right now and not a bump. Was on AA last week and not a bump. Smooth as can be

How was the DL flight after if left the gate?

indcwby

Thu May 10, 2018 5:03 am

Actually, I flew DL on an A320, pilot aimed for every pothole in the sky just because he knew the passenger sitting in the back was drunk and puking upon every bump. So bad the situation of puking, the snack/drink service never took place because they couldn't get past the mess. I've also flew a many on WN. Never had any problems except your usual chop. I did have to fly UA Express once on an ERJ-145. That thing was not my cup of tea. Especially when you see them using a Pioneer head unit from Bestbuy to play the Safety Demonstration. The least you think they could have done is played some music so we could hear if the CD skips during turbulence.
A319, A320, A330, A340, B717, B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, CRJ7, DC10, MD88, MD11, E145, E175
"Always remember that you fly an airplane with your head, not your hands."

BoeingGuy

Thu May 10, 2018 5:59 am

william wrote:
wxtech wrote:
bigb wrote:

Not true......

Um....Back in the 80s and maybe early 90s there was some truth to this "urban myth". SWA pilots would be quoted in stating such on short sectors, like AUS-HOU or AUS-DAL they hand flew the aircraft. At the time SWA was operating 737-200s and 300s, and SWA didn't order their aircraft with much automation. Now with autothrottles and SOP wanting the aircraft on autopilot as soon as gear is up ,those days are long gone.

Well into the 737-700 days, SWA removed the Autothrottle from every 737. The Autothrottle ARM Switch had an INOP sticker on it. They also disabled VNAV and autoland capability. They only reluctantly allowed LNAV because their stage lengths were getting long.

In other words, their pilots had to really fly the airplane.

BoeingGuy

Thu May 10, 2018 6:01 am

KFLLCFII wrote:
Southwest is too cheap to have autopilots installed.

I know you were totally joking, of course. However, since the autopilots are a basic part of the airplane, it would likely cost MORE for a custom option to have them removed.

Of course this wouldn't be offered in the first place.

bgm

Thu May 10, 2018 6:12 am

SWApilotfarmer wrote:
MDW22L31C wrote:
It seem when landing at any airport SWA slams its planes down on the runway.

Floating an airplane down the runway trying to impress passengers

Landing on the nose wheel doesn't seem to impress passengers much either. :duck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwYmMG61VDk

Pbb152

Thu May 10, 2018 8:45 am

CarlosSi wrote:
Better to be bumped by Southwest in the air than by United before you even leave the gate.

OK, now that was a pretty good one. I laughed. LOL.

wxtech

Thu May 10, 2018 11:01 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
william wrote:
wxtech wrote:

Well into the 737-700 days, SWA removed the Autothrottle from every 737. The Autothrottle ARM Switch had an INOP sticker on it. They also disabled VNAV and autoland capability. They only reluctantly allowed LNAV because their stage lengths were getting long.

In other words, their pilots had to really fly the airplane.

Thanks for the education. I had no idea

wxtech

Thu May 10, 2018 11:03 am

william wrote:
wxtech wrote:
bigb wrote:

Not true......

Thanks for the education. Appreciate you and thanks.

kiowa

Fri May 11, 2018 5:03 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
Better to be bumped by Southwest in the air than by United before you even leave the gate.

Unless you have a window seat next to the engine.

Throwing stones in a glass house?

fanoftristars

Fri May 11, 2018 5:23 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
kabq737 wrote:
Ok here’s a fun anecdote. Recently I was at ABQ Center. As we walked around the control room we were allowed to ask the controllers questions. Being interested in airline procedures I liked to ask the controllers “are there any airlines that are easier or harder to deal with?”

ALMOST EVERY CONTROLLER said that Southwest was the easiest because they “aren’t as picky about weather” and that they “tend to punch through weather more often if it isn’t dangerous.”

Not sure how accurate this was but it was definitely the consensus of the controllers I talked to at the center.

It's a little bit accurate, but I wouldn't entirely agree. ZAB doesn't exactly see a whole lot of convective activity to have frequent enough experiences with weather deviations. It always depends on the pilots, but I'll agree that Southwest crews often tend to be more than happy to be guinea pigs...particularly when it comes to trying to pick out a hole in a line of weather. I wouldn't say they're the easiest to deal with, because like I mentioned in my last post, they always want to go fast...to the point of annoyance, sometimes. It's like having a kid ask, "Are we there yet?" when we clearly are not there yet. As with most things, there are plenty of generalizations, but it always comes down to who's actually sitting in the cockpit.

I think this has more to do with the OP's thoughts than anything. I have a friend that works for ATC and he has also said that WN pilots tend to push through bumps more than fly around, and are more willing to try something when others steer clear. He was clear that they never compromise safety, but aren't they paid per flight, and not per hour? So time flying around convective weather to avoid bumps and potentially have a late arrival vs plowing through with some moderate bumps with an on time or early arrival is preferable to most that he's worked with.

I saw/heard this first hand a few years ago during T-Storms one afternoon in MSY. Listening to ATC, Delta, United, AA pilots wouldn't take off as long as there were reports of moderate to severe bumps on the departure route and reports of wind shear. A private jet took off, reported no wind shear but moderate/heavy turbulence to 18,000 ft. The WN plane waiting said they would go next, while the other airlines waited it out.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

PlanesNTrains

Fri May 11, 2018 5:28 pm

wxtech wrote:
bigb wrote:
wxtech wrote:

Not true......

I took it serious as well, probably because it didn't really have a punchline or smiley.

Having sat at the airport countless times and watched the action, I haven't seen any indication that WN hits the ground harder than the next guy. And like anyone I've seen some pretty rough landings. WN seems to vary just like anyone else. However, they do have that spirited taxiing sometimes. Again, not the only ones, but probably slightly more noticeable than others. YMMV
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

flflyer

Fri May 11, 2018 6:46 pm

WN pilots certainly taxi faster than the others. Clocked a flight I was on at 45 mph on the taxiway.

kiowa

Fri May 11, 2018 7:13 pm

flflyer wrote:
WN pilots certainly taxi faster than the others. Clocked a flight I was on at 45 mph on the taxiway.

How did you clock a flight on a taxiway? Any specifics?

CarlosSi

Fri May 11, 2018 9:03 pm

kiowa wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:

Ahhh ship.

Actually the seat was relatively farther back, like by the wings.

Confuscius

Fri May 11, 2018 9:20 pm

flflyer wrote:

I thought it was just below V1.
Ain't I a stinker?

barney captain

Fri May 11, 2018 10:55 pm

but aren't they paid per flight, and not per hour? So time flying around convective weather to avoid bumps and potentially have a late arrival vs plowing through with some moderate bumps with an on time or early arrival is preferable to most that he's worked with.

Just like every other airline, we are paid actual flight time or scheduled - whichever is greater. There is zero incentive to not take the smoothest, safest route.
Southeast Of Disorder

Speedalive

Fri May 11, 2018 11:41 pm

Surprised you haven’t had bumpy flights on DL. They’re always running into some light chop these days...

afcjets

Sat May 12, 2018 12:17 am

One time when driving past LAX I saw a WN jet take off and make a right turn before the ocean, never seen that happen before. The weather was perfect and it was in the middle of the afternoon IIRC. It makes sense with their quickturn history and mentality that WN is going to take every shortcut possible without compromising safety.

barney captain wrote:
but aren't they paid per flight, and not per hour? So time flying around convective weather to avoid bumps and potentially have a late arrival vs plowing through with some moderate bumps with an on time or early arrival is preferable to most that he's worked with.

Just like every other airline, we are paid actual flight time or scheduled - whichever is greater. There is zero incentive to not take the smoothest, safest route.

Was there a time in the past when WN was paid differently because what he said sounds vaguely familiar for some reason.

barney captain

Sat May 12, 2018 1:20 am

afcjets wrote:
One time when driving past LAX I saw a WN jet take off and make a right turn before the ocean, never seen that happen before. The weather was perfect and it was in the middle of the afternoon IIRC. It makes sense with their quickturn history and mentality that WN is going to take every shortcut possible without compromising safety.

Was there a time in the past when WN was paid differently because what he said sounds vaguely familiar for some reason.

Your observation from LAX is of course anecdotal at best. We still have to follow the rules wrt whatever clearance we receive - whatever they did they were no doubt instructed to do. There is always the possibility of something like a mechanical or navigational problem as well.

The pay issue has been the stuff of urban legend for as long as I can remember - but was based only on misinformation or misunderstanding (even by some of our own crews). Our pay structure is complicated at best, but we always get paid actual or scheduled flight time - whichever is greater.
Southeast Of Disorder

baqnav

Sat May 12, 2018 2:03 am

afcjets wrote:

barney captain wrote:

You mean like thursday where LAX north tower issued a 240 degree heading for the flight with the takeoff clearance vs the RNAV course on the ATC clearance accepted via CPDLC? Oh, and there were two retired USAF pilots that didn’t ask for a shortcut with LAX tower, didnt taxi above 10 knots and have over 30k of flying hours. Not too mention the AA 787 pilot on the jumpseat, also a retired USAF pilot commuting home.
My opions are mine, not my employers

afcjets

Sat May 12, 2018 2:53 am

baqnav wrote:
afcjets wrote:

barney captain wrote:

You mean like thursday where LAX tower issued a 240 degree heading for the flight with the takeoff clearance vs the RNAV course on the ATC clearance accepted via CPDLC? Oh, and there were two retired USAF pilots that didn’t ask for a shorcut with LAX tower, didnt taxi above 10 knots and have over 30k of flying hours. Not too mention the AA 787 pilot on the jumpseat, also a retired USAF pilot commuting home.

Since I was driving past LAX I only saw the one takeoff and it happened to be WN. Since I am obviously not a pilot, I don't know if you were being facetious when you said you didn't ask LAX tower for a shortcut, or if that is something you can actually do without having to have a better reason than we are running late or trying to save on fuel. I did not intend any negative connotation by using the term shortcut which is why I added without compromising safety. I was also referring to other examples discussed as much if not more than what I observed. I personally don't see any harm in WN taxiing faster than other airlines (if what these a.netters posting is true) unless they are exceeding any safety limits. It seems I remember hearing back in the days when the price of jet fuel spiked some airlines would taxi on one engine so perhaps taxiing slower saves fuel too. Even so it would make sense for WN to taxi at max speed since maximizing asset utilization is a big part of their success, moreso than saving a few pennies on fuel.

NameOmitted

Sat May 12, 2018 6:21 am

Ask me how I know the OP never flew AS in Southeast Alaska or out to Dutch Harbor... ;)

Balerit

Sat May 12, 2018 9:08 am

reffado wrote:
SWApilotfarmer wrote:
MDW22L31C wrote:
It seem when landing at any airport SWA slams its planes down on the runway.

Good. Floating an airplane down the runway trying to impress passengers that don’t care with a good landing does nothing but waste usable runway. All the stuff we have to help stop us (reverse thrust, auto brakes, speedbrakes, etc) doesn’t work until those mains spin up on touchdown.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought the purpose was to reduce stress on components to a minimum, increasing their lifespan (or making premature replacement less likely)?

PS: if this was a sarcastic reply, just ignore me, I’ve had a long day and it might have flown over my head, no pun intended.

It's mandated by Boeing that the B737 has to be slammed onto the deck other wise the main wheel shimmy could sheer the torque links. Airbus on the other hand don't suffer this problem and have very soft landings.
Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (retired).

Bostrom

Sat May 12, 2018 9:45 am

sccutler wrote:
The roughest flight I ever took (by a very considerable margin) was on AirNZ, SYD-LAX, new year's day, 2000. Try as they could (and man alive, did they try!), no altitude yielded smooth air, and I mean it was the kind of rough that made it almost impossible to take a drink of water, much less walk around the cabin or use the lav. It was simply miserable.

That must have been the Y2K bug, someone must have forgotten to update the software in the airspace.

topbanana

Sat May 12, 2018 9:18 pm

kiowa wrote:

I'm assuming that for the two young children who will never see their mother again that perhaps it is a bit too soon.

Seriously.... if you can't show some maturity, at least try to show some respect.
Top Banana in the West. Yes.

Flighty

Sat May 12, 2018 10:33 pm

It stands to reason that if you fly around the hot, turbulent Southwest USA in summertime, in large-winged 73G aircraft, you might have some bumpy rides.

It all goes back to the Iraqi Dinars / gold that are stored in the Southwest region of the USA, to appease the Roswell grey aliens. The gold has to be kept cool so the aliens can touch it safely when the end of civilization comes. The truth is out there.

MartijnNL

Sat May 12, 2018 11:19 pm

barney captain wrote:

Are all pilots paid based on flight time? That sounds strange to me. What's wrong with a monthly salary?

If true, why don't all pilots take long detours or fly as slow as possible? That would get them more time in the air and thus a higher pay.

Super80Fan

Sat May 12, 2018 11:31 pm

Delta is the king of light chop.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

SWApilotfarmer

Sun May 13, 2018 1:57 am

MartijnNL wrote:
barney captain wrote:

Are all pilots paid based on flight time? That sounds strange to me. What's wrong with a monthly salary?

If true, why don't all pilots take long detours or fly as slow as possible? That would get them more time in the air and thus a higher pay.

What do you mean “if true”. Do you really think that Barney a WN pilot doesn’t know how we get paid? A monthly salary is a horrible idea. A large part of our system is the ability to make extra by flying more than just our schedule if we want to. Pilots make more and company gets extra flying covered. And taking detours and flying as slow as possible.....do you really think we wouldn’t have to answer to someone for intentionally delaying flights. Our flights are monitored by dispatchers in headquarters and if we are late for no reason they will be watching closely. What about all the passengers that misconnect because we are late. Everything we do and how we fly the airplane is recorded and downloaded by the company for the entire fleet. It is used to monitor trends and enhance safety but the bottom line is nothing goes unnoticed.

sevenair

Sun May 13, 2018 2:51 am

Wow. Billions of passengers carried, 700 planes, thousands of flights a day, every single day of the year and following one sad incident people are now convincing themselves that SWA have bumpier flights? I've heard it all now.

BoeingGuy

Sun May 13, 2018 3:17 am

sevenair wrote:
Wow. Billions of passengers carried, 700 planes, thousands of flights a day, every single day of the year and following one sad incident people are now convincing themselves that SWA have bumpier flights? I've heard it all now.

Americans like to overdramatize everything. I am from the states and I still laugh about us.

Like you said, one passenger and one on the ground killed in an airline that flies incredibly high volume everyday since about 1971. Two too many but pretty darn impressive record.

Suddenly the sky is falling. OMG, WN pilots don’t avoid storms!

Chemist

Sun May 13, 2018 3:33 am

I actually had somebody say to me the other day when I mentioned i was flying Southwest "You ok with flying them after that accident with the window?". I had to try and give a charitable answer since that sort of question obviously advertises the persson's ignorance.

Spacepope

Sun May 13, 2018 5:16 am

I thought that it was surely, after seeing the average mass of a WN passenger, that they were weight limited and therefore incapable of climbing above weather.
The last of the famous international playboys

MartijnNL

Sun May 13, 2018 8:32 am

SWApilotfarmer wrote:
What do you mean “if true”. Do you really think that Barney a WN pilot doesn’t know how we get paid? A monthly salary is a horrible idea. A large part of our system is the ability to make extra by flying more than just our schedule if we want to. Pilots make more and company gets extra flying covered.

I believe him, but as an outsider it just sounds strange to me. Most people I know get a monthly salary. If they work more hours they can compensate that. The usual procedure is time for time, although extra money is also possible when negotiated. Work 16 hours more than is in your contract? That gets you two days extra to enjoy doing things outside the office. Doesn't sound horrible to me at all.

Balerit

Sun May 13, 2018 9:25 am

It's all about weight and wing loading.
Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (retired).

AirKevin

Sun May 13, 2018 11:46 am

MartijnNL wrote:
SWApilotfarmer wrote:
What do you mean “if true”. Do you really think that Barney a WN pilot doesn’t know how we get paid? A monthly salary is a horrible idea. A large part of our system is the ability to make extra by flying more than just our schedule if we want to. Pilots make more and company gets extra flying covered.

I believe him, but as an outsider it just sounds strange to me. Most people I know get a monthly salary. If they work more hours they can compensate that. The usual procedure is time for time, although extra money is also possible when negotiated. Work 16 hours more than is in your contract? That gets you two days extra to enjoy doing things outside the office. Doesn't sound horrible to me at all.

I drive a truck for a living. We don't get a monthly salary in this line of work. We get paid by the mile, so if those wheels aren't rolling, I'm not making money.
Captain Kevin

midway7

Sun May 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Regarding landings, at MDW you have a short distance at which the plane has to land. Seems the SW pilots really plant the wheels there. Since this is the largest SW station, this may be where some of these comments are coming from. Not that it matters.

I've always felt very confident about airmen that had trips into MDW frequently. This goes back to the Midway I and ATA days. Just see the challenges MDW can offer as good experience. Years ago, when the company I worked for, purchased a corporate jet, we hired a pilot that flew ATA 727's in and out of there. Always thought it was a good hire and enjoyed having that pilot in the flight deck.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos