memphiX
Topic Author

Air Koryo speculations

Sun May 13, 2018 3:45 am

Given recent events, let's be positive for once.
Let's say that sanctions against North Korea have been lifted, and Dear Leader has given you orders to modernize Air Koryo.
Assuming that your comrades are tasked with infrastructure, pilot training..Your sole responsibility is the fleet. What will you order?
:stirthepot:

PanzerPowner

Re: Air Koryo speculations

Sun May 13, 2018 3:49 am

2 Billion C Series. Glorious True Korea can afford all, and has an infinite market for Tourism as all wishes to see the most well nourished nation!
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

RetiredNWA

Sun May 13, 2018 4:35 am

There’s one solution to “Air Koryo” - it’s called “Korean Air Lines” and their skill and expertise.

I’m assuming you’re young and starry-airline-eyed. Before the collapse of the Berlin Wall and the fall of communism in Europe, there was an East German-flag carrier, “Interflug”. They flew a Russian-built fleet, were not IATA members and could not compete by a long shot in the modern aviation era in the early 90’s. They folded.

No, Air Koryo won’t be flying a brand new 787 on Pyongyang to JFK. The most likely scenario is that KAL will take over.

Jetty

Sun May 13, 2018 4:51 am

RetiredNWA wrote:
There’s one solution to “Air Koryo” - it’s called “Korean Air Lines” and their skill and expertise.

Their family as well? :shock:

intotheair

Sun May 13, 2018 5:02 am

RetiredNWA wrote:

I’m assuming you’re young and starry-airline-eyed. Before the collapse of the Berlin Wall and the fall of communism in Europe, there was an East German-flag carrier, “Interflug”. They flew a Russian-built fleet, were not IATA members and could not compete by a long shot in the modern aviation era in the early 90’s. They folded.

No, Air Koryo won’t be flying a brand new 787 on Pyongyang to JFK. The most likely scenario is that KAL will take over.

I'd hate to see JS fold. My Rouge Comradia status entitles me to complimentary lima beans at the lounge at FNJ.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

FlyHappy

Sun May 13, 2018 5:15 am

As tempting as a humorous answer is... There is no future for Air Koryo without sanctions. No budget, short of a massive gift of COMACs from the PRC, thus the eventual future is spelled K-A-L.

c933103

Sun May 13, 2018 5:58 am

Probably like Interflug
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

Jalap

Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 am

1: Lifting sanctions doesn’t mean the country gets unified or there’ll be something that looks like an open market. It could very well be decades of more protectionism before KAL truely gets access. So Air Koryo could very well be around for a long time.

2: OP makes a fun question. I think that’s okay.

3: Looking at the continueing protectionism, despite the sanctions lifted there still isn’t much demand for seats to North Korea. I’d say 4 E-Jets for the local network, 4 A320’s for regional network (mainly China) and 2 A332’s for Moscow and Europe.

c933103

Sun May 13, 2018 6:17 am

Jalap wrote:
1: Lifting sanctions doesn’t mean the country gets unified or there’ll be something that looks like an open market. It could very well be decades of more protectionism before KAL truely gets access. So Air Koryo could very well be around for a long time.

2: OP makes a fun question. I think that’s okay.

3: Looking at the continueing protectionism, despite the sanctions lifted there still isn’t much demand for seats to North Korea. I’d say 4 E-Jets for the local network, 4 A320’s for regional network (mainly China) and 2 A332’s for Moscow and Europe.

North Korea don't really have a market that they need to be protected.
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

davidjohnson6

Sun May 13, 2018 6:28 am

Talks this year will be about getting rid of nukes - nobody is talking seriously yet about unification of the two Koreas into one country. If North Korea remains a separate country, would they really let countries in the south take over their economy ? To do so would invite the end of the existing regime - I don't think we should get too far ahead of ourselves quite yet.

Air Koryo may have a few years (or more) left before the 2 Koreas finally unify and KAL / Asiana may not have authority to fly from Pyongyang to anywhere other than the south. Under that scenario, what happens to Air Koryo as sanctions are unwound and money comes into the country ?

ELBOB

Sun May 13, 2018 6:31 am

RetiredNWA wrote:
..., there was an East German-flag carrier, “Interflug”. They flew a Russian-built fleet, were not IATA members and could not compete by a long shot in the modern aviation era in the early 90’s. They folded.

Interflug didn't "fold", they were shut-down by the state de-nationalisation agency despite a bid by Lufthansa and interest from British Airways. There were protests against the decision but it was final.

The airline was losing money but had pared down to 3,000 employees and was switching to A310s and Dash 8s. And most passengers in that era were glad of a carrier not being part of the IATA cartel... Doesn't seem to affect Easyjet either!
Last edited by ELBOB on Sun May 13, 2018 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

c933103

Sun May 13, 2018 6:34 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Talks this year will be about getting rid of nukes - nobody is talking seriously yet about unification of the two Koreas into one country. If North Korea remains a separate country, would thry really let countries in the south take over their economy ? To do so would invite the end of the existing regime - I don't think we should get too far ahead of ourselves quite yet. Thus Air Koryo may have a few years (or more) left before the 2 Koreas finally unify and KAL / Asiana may not have authority to fly from Pyongyang to anywhere other than the south. Under that scenario, what happens to Air Koryo as sanctions are unwound and money comes into the country ?

It depends on how thing would play out, I personally feel that economic integration might progress even further and faster than denuclearization - that is if they decided to denuclearize.
And Incheon can serve as a hub for most of North Korea top other than a bit p2p flying. Air Koryo can probably continues to fly a few routes of this type.

chunhimlai

Sun May 13, 2018 6:44 am

Buy 200 A380 , 200 B777X, 100 B78K and 150 A320neo to form a megabhub bigger than DXB/DWC and IST

Armaghman

Sun May 13, 2018 6:57 am

If a deal is pulled off personally I see a few 737 for regional and possible a 777 did long haul.

As Trump is centre to the deal US aircraft in prime position, and as others point out KAL also critical so 777 can be supported with pilots even though 787 large enough.

I do see Air Koyo staying around as it is key Kim saves face and we all know how globally we are all nationalistic when it comes to our airlines and sometimes it never makes commercial sense. KAL will however assist them.

PanHAM

Sun May 13, 2018 7:05 am

The mai difference to Interflug is, that the latter had A31ßs for Long distance as well. But even more important, IF had a market in West Berlin, an IF ticked guaranteeed VVIP Treatment crrossing the border to and from SXF.

I think that Kim has got the message that he Needs to accept changes and his education in Switzerland will help him But for Air Koryo the Chance of a life in a competetive world is almost next to nothing.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

PlymSpotter

Sun May 13, 2018 7:07 am

If sanctions are eased / lifted, I suspect we'll see a scenario similar to Cubana where the original fleet is gradually mothballed in favour of wet leased equipment. No doubt there will be interest from Chinese partners here.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

c933103

Sun May 13, 2018 7:44 am

Armaghman wrote:
If a deal is pulled off personally I see a few 737 for regional and possible a 777 did long haul.

As Trump is centre to the deal US aircraft in prime position, and as others point out KAL also critical so 777 can be supported with pilots even though 787 large enough.

I do see Air Koyo staying around as it is key Kim saves face and we all know how globally we are all nationalistic when it comes to our airlines and sometimes it never makes commercial sense. KAL will however assist them.

I don't think Air Koryo would be any more important than other flag carriers around the world when it come to face saving as it is named as Air Koryo not Air Kim and the propaganda in North Korea is centered around the subjectivity of Korean people as a whole and as KAL is also an airlines run by Korean people, I don't think it will be too much important.

Spiderguy252

Sun May 13, 2018 7:47 am

Taking a leaf out of Iran Air's book might not be the worst thing to do...
Vahroone

mariner

Sun May 13, 2018 7:56 am

ELBOB wrote:
Interflug didn't "fold", they were shut-down by the state de-nationalisation agency despite a bid by Lufthansa and interest from British Airways. There were protests against the decision but it was final.

The airline was losing money but had pared down to 3,000 employees and was switching to A310s and Dash 8s. And most passengers in that era were glad of a carrier not being part of the IATA cartel... Doesn't seem to affect Easyjet either!

I'm with you. I only few with Interflug three times - one class - but I thought they were a great airline. In the same way, I hope that Air Koryo is able to survive.

mariner
aeternum nauta

VSMUT

Sun May 13, 2018 8:22 am

At best I would expect some A32Xs, but probably second-hand. More likely, Sukhoi Superjets, ARJ-21s, C919s or MC-21s.

Armaghman wrote:

It is almost guaranteed not to be US aircraft. 70 years of hostility don't get wiped away just by your former enemy loosening up. The Iranian mess is another nail in that chest. Trump will be gone in 7 years, and who knows what the next POTUS will decide.
The DPRK is also a Chinese proxy, and that isn't going to change either.

IMO, Air Koryo will stay around as long as North Korea does, and I don't see a unified Korea ever happening in my lifetime, even if they go fully democratic.

Bobloblaw

Sun May 13, 2018 8:24 am

Where does North Korea get the foreign exchange to buy these aircraft?

DocLightning

Sun May 13, 2018 9:37 am

chunhimlai wrote:
Buy 200 A380 , 200 B777X, 100 B78K and 150 A320neo to form a megabhub bigger than DXB/DWC and IST

You heard it here first, ladies and gentlemen!!! :bigthumbsup:
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

cpd

Sun May 13, 2018 9:49 am

Once the new B747-8i are in service, "Air Force Un" will be the two VC-25s gifted to North Korea by Donald Trump. :D

jmchevallier

Sun May 13, 2018 9:51 am

First point : Korea will not be unified, at least in the short term. So North Korea will become an independent nation of 25 million opening to the world.

It will be in need to modernize and develop one or several airlines to keep a significant portion of the developping air traffic under the national flag, as ther will be a high pressure from South Korean, Japanese and Chinese LCC to get service to the country.

So possibly Air Koryo will acquire (or lease) a bunch of recent 100-200 seats western airplanes as well as a few A330/B787, but will certainly set up a LCC subsidiary to better compete with aggressive regional LCC.

Flyglobal

Sun May 13, 2018 9:53 am

'guys', dont forget: A lot og ego is involved there.
The first thing which needs ti be solved for kim is: where do I get an Korean Airforce 1 from?

" Dear Donald, would you mind that you just engage in building 2 more AF 1's of the same specification as you will get?
Sorry I don't care, but if you are not supportive, I heard that Airbus produces something like an A380, a plane even bigger then your AF1 you may get in future.
But I would be fine with your AF1 type as you said and would recommend my Air Koryo to prefer the 787 when they buy shortly.
Thanks donald, lets continue, by the way did you see how beautiful our ladies are? ..... "

Something like this for 2 Egos

Flyglobal

persiangulf93

Sun May 13, 2018 9:57 am

If let's say sanctions are lifted and they make plane deals with both Airbus and Boeing - there's still no guarantee that these planes will actually be delivered.

1. Trump and NK didn't come to an agreement yet - and US is always looking for appeasement. I don't see NK bowing for US that easily.
2. US has a long history of pulling out of agreements and not honoring them, Trump would need to make the agreement law and it has to be passed through congress/ senate - will both democrats and republicans accept it? If not it will most probably end up like the Iran deal.
3. Does NK have the money to buy planes? Even with financing, are banks willing to finance these planes?

I'm sure though Russia and China would love to be in the front line for orders!

MalevTU134

Sun May 13, 2018 10:13 am

memphiX wrote:
Given recent events, let's be positive for once.
Let's say that sanctions against North Korea have been lifted, and Dear Leader has given you orders to modernize Air Koryo.
Assuming that your comrades are tasked with infrastructure, pilot training..Your sole responsibility is the fleet. What will you order?
:stirthepot:

It's obvious from your question that your knowledge of North Korea is limited, at best.

No reunification is even (seriously) talked about, and a new fleet is soooo far down the list of worries for a "free" North Korea.

Oh, and the Dear Leader has been dead for more than 5 years...

PlymSpotter

Sun May 13, 2018 10:36 am

Bobloblaw wrote:

Tourism mostly, which is rather lucrative. We are many many years, quite possibly decades, from there being enough domestic demand to support flights.

SR380

Sun May 13, 2018 12:29 pm

I personally think the airline will stay around for a couple of years still. Korea is not ready for reunification just yet. Therefore, the DPRK will likely wants to keep a national flag career.

That being said, I think they will stick to Russian. If trafic is to grow (hopefully people would want to visit this country) they might order some Sukhoi SuperJet with Russian avionics (is the An-148 still up for sale?); maybe some MC-21 once Russian engines are available, and maybe some used Il-96 for trunk route such as PEK and to replace Chammae-1.

Can wait to fly there in September and fly Soviet metal for domestic flights!

SR380

Sun May 13, 2018 12:42 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:

The DPRK didn’t have issue leasing the current four Tu-204 and An-148 via the Russian. They will do the same.

They get money from coals, minerals, etc...

Bobloblaw

Sun May 13, 2018 12:48 pm

SR380 wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:

The DPRK didn’t have issue leasing the current four Tu-204 and An-148 via the Russian. They will do the same.

Yeah. You think airbus and Boeing will give NK the same deal as tupolev did? Come on!!

RetiredNWA

Sun May 13, 2018 12:51 pm

For you a.nuts out there suggesting Air Koryo will be flying a “332”, DO YOU REALIZE that 90% of North Korea has little to no electricity? Food is sparse THROUGHOUT the country. They use human excitement as fertilizer for human food. The North Korean Won is a worthless currency on the world stage; per capita income is less than $1800USD! Unification or not, lifting of sanctions or not, you’re absurd to think that the people of the country, let alone the airline itself, has the financial resources to make this a reality.

There’s a great website called 38north which is an excellent resource for all things NK. Don’t let shiny jet syndrome get you a.nuts with regard to Air Koryo - they’ve got a LONG way to go.

SR380

Sun May 13, 2018 12:57 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
SR380 wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:

Yeah. You think airbus and Boeing will give NK the same deal as tupolev did? Come on!!

It’s not what I said or meant. They will not switch to A or B anyway.

embraer420

Will Air Koryo buy American Planes?

Sun May 13, 2018 1:26 pm

Hi everyone,

Just wondering, since Trump's recent remarks about rebuilding North Korea's economy and "making them rich" , what will happen to Air Koryo? Will they modernise and buy 737s or E Jets? I'm going on a tour in October to fly on their soviet fleet, it would be sad to see them modernise and become boring like everyone else, even if it's more practical.

An article on this: http://www.thejournal.ie/rich-us-korea-4008823-May2018/

ual763

Re: Will Air Koryo buy American Planes?

Sun May 13, 2018 1:37 pm

I think that’s still going to be a long ways off. But, I do think it will happen sometime in the next decade. Either Airbus or Boeing. But, the new Russian jets are still much more reasonable to expect in my opinion.
From flying to the NOTAM office

Sun May 13, 2018 1:49 pm

There are a bunch of them that have suddenly become available; ex- Iranian birds.

Melbourne

Sun May 13, 2018 1:52 pm

No one said anything about North Korea opening up, this is just a stop to their total isolationist approach which started with the fall of the Soviet Union for obvious reasons. Prior to that they were still the same totalitarian state so I don't see that changing at all unless the entire Kim dynasty ends abruptly somehow. Otherwise don't expect anything more than overflight rights to foreign carriers and the resumption of a few routes

Bobloblaw

Sun May 13, 2018 1:58 pm

with what money???

Only if ROK pays for it

Slash787

Sun May 13, 2018 2:03 pm

For starters they can buy 10 to 15 B737Max.

For wide body a B787 would be good but they don't need that much range, so a MoM in the future would be good for them.

Armodeen

Sun May 13, 2018 2:06 pm

This is a country that can't feed their own people. Not that it has stopped several African nations I suppose. But they had hard currency at least.

petertenthije

Sun May 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Even if they had the money to do so, they would be mad to go for anything American. That would leave them open to sanctions. The current Iranian mess proves that the USA can not be trusted to keep their word with regard to their sanction policy.

By extension, the same applies to Airbus, Embraer and Bombardier as they also rely on components from the USA.

That leaves Russia and China.
Attamottamotta!

TWA772LR

Sun May 13, 2018 2:22 pm

These are becoming the new "When will NW retire the DC9?" threads.

The answer is no. They will order the A3757-8NEOLRMAXSUPERMEGANIRVANALINER.

Sent with my LG G6 via tapatype.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

PatrickZ80

Sun May 13, 2018 3:02 pm

They won't. Even if they could, they hate America so much they never want to buy anything American. It'll be Russian or Chinese aircraft. Sooner or later that'll happen anyway.

PlymSpotter

Sun May 13, 2018 3:52 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
SR380 wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:

Air Koryo does not need subsidising from the sale of raw materials, they make enough money flying passengers - tourists. It's something like £300 a shot just for the PEK-FNJ round trip. Until they had to withdraw certain types from scheduled service and travel advice changed, they were running four (if not more) flights a day just to Beijing, all packed, to cater to the tourist demand. That will rebound rapidly with this thaw.

But re-fleeting is not simply doing a deal with Airbus or Boeing for shiny new planes, even putting sanctions aside. As a first step, give it a few years and we'll probably be flying into Pyongyang on a wet-leased Small Planet A320. Boring for enthusiasts, but tourist 'friendly'.

northstardc4m

Sun May 13, 2018 4:13 pm

A few leased A320s or C919s and maybe eventually a couple 787s to re-open Europe and start LAX... but I don't see re-unification coming. First a few sanctions come off then more over time and I can see an updated Air Koryo supported by one of the Chinese airline groups, but not KAL or Asiana, not yet anyways. It's going to be a slow process for the DPRK to re-integrate with the world economy, there will be pains and steps back over time so slow moves like Pyongyang to Tokyo and Seoul with the Tu-204s and/or An-148s to begin, then wet leasing A32xs or something similar to replace those slowly over time. There will probably be a Turboprop or RJ in the mix at some point, but who knows what type or size until the economic links form to some extent.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

32andBelow

Sun May 13, 2018 4:38 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:
SR380 wrote:

Air Koryo does not need subsidising from the sale of raw materials, they make enough money flying passengers - tourists. It's something like £300 a shot just for the PEK-FNJ round trip. Until they had to withdraw certain types from scheduled service and travel advice changed, they were running four (if not more) flights a day just to Beijing, all packed, to cater to the tourist demand. That will rebound rapidly with this thaw.

But re-fleeting is not simply doing a deal with Airbus or Boeing for shiny new planes, even putting sanctions aside. As a first step, give it a few years and we'll probably be flying into Pyongyang on a wet-leased Small Planet A320. Boring for enthusiasts, but tourist 'friendly'.

4 flights a day? It looks like it’s down to like 4 flights a week.

PlymSpotter

Sun May 13, 2018 4:54 pm

32andBelow wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:

No surprise with the travel advice and reduced equipment available. There were hopeful talks of them taking on an Il-96 - they could probably have filled it too.

SR380

Sun May 13, 2018 5:12 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:

No surprise with the travel advice and reduced equipment available. There were hopeful talks of them taking on an Il-96 - they could probably have filled it too.

Is there any ex SU Il-96 out there they could lease? Out of the 6 SU used to operate, one burned out, another went to CU (which is now cycles maxed out), another is planned to join CU fleet, out about the 3 that are left in SVO?

RetiredNWA

Sun May 13, 2018 6:35 pm

Why on earth would they lease an IL-96?

devron

Sun May 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Why didn't anyone state the freaking obvious?

They will shut down flying and open a fastfood chain serving Koryo burger.

Seriously open more regional flying to china to cater for package tourist "ruining" the country and eating more burgers

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos