Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Nami
Topic Author

Finnair inaugural HEL-NKG (Nanjing) flight today May 13

Sun May 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Finnair launches flights to its seventh destination in China, Nanjing, today. A333 with Marimekko livery got the honour to launch the service.

The route will be flown year-round 3x weekly in summer season and 2x weekly in winter.

The CEO recently had this to say about NKG:

Finnair would prefer to operate two flights daily to Shanghai instead of one, but this is currently impossible due restrictions in the bilaterals between Finland and China as well as the slot situation at Pudong airport.

Instead, Finnair will start serving Nanjing this summer which, Vauramo points out, “lies at least in the Shanghai region”.

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/asi ... w-heights/

HELyes

Re: Finnair inaugural HEL-NKG (Nanjing) flight today May 13

Sun May 13, 2018 4:35 pm

Congrats AY for the 7th destination in China (HKG included) and the 19th in Asia. So they would prefer twice daily service to Pudong and NKG is kind of plan B?

ilari

Sun May 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Blah, I just added this in the Nordic Aviation thread and asked if they would want to double PEK. Should read first and then write. :D

HELyes

Sun May 13, 2018 5:09 pm

ilari wrote:
Blah, I just added this in the Nordic Aviation thread and asked if they would want to double PEK. Should read first and then write. :D

Probably they still want to double both PVG and PEK.

HJM

Sun May 13, 2018 5:49 pm

AY, HEL and Asia. Who would have thought all those years ago when AY launched NRT with a DC10 with extra fuel tank.

Antarius

Sun May 13, 2018 5:52 pm

HELyes wrote:
Congrats AY for the 7th destination in China (HKG included) and the 19th in Asia. So they would prefer twice daily service to Pudong and NKG is kind of plan B?

Really incredible how smart the AY strategy is and how well it has worked for them. Instead of trying to be everyone else (including larger and more established players) AY has built an empire by offering something that no one else was focused on.

Congrats and on to the next destination!

HELyes

Sun May 13, 2018 6:31 pm

Antarius wrote:
Really incredible how smart the AY strategy is and how well it has worked for them. Instead of trying to be everyone else (including larger and more established players) AY has built an empire by offering something that no one else was focused on.

Yeah Asia was a wise move, they have all the eggs in one basket but that has worked best for them, probably has saved them too. The future is a question mark, some arrangements with a bigger partner (IAG?) is expected, sooner or later.

Nami
Topic Author

Mon May 14, 2018 11:22 am

Unless I'm mistaken this is the second scheduled European connection from NKG after Lufthansa and FRA (5x in summer, 3x in winter).

I do wonder what kind of incentives and/or subsidies play a role at NKG. I'm quite sure it's safe to say that AY's flights to XIY and CKG had some at least during the first years.

Source of pictures: http://www.caacnews.com.cn/1/5/201805/t ... 47477.html

aemoreira1981

Mon May 14, 2018 1:27 pm

ilari wrote:

Finnair might need the A35K for that...bigger planes instead of more slots.

I hope Urumqi with an A321 is next...that’s in narrow body range. The A21N could be better though as that could have the long haul J product. Potential destinations would be URC, DEL (double daily), and
DXB.

ilari

Mon May 14, 2018 6:39 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
ilari wrote:

Finnair might need the A35K for that...bigger planes instead of more slots.

I hope Urumqi with an A321 is next...that’s in narrow body range. The A21N could be better though as that could have the long haul J product. Potential destinations would be URC, DEL (double daily), and
DXB.

Well, DXB is certainly within the range. URC and DEL might just be within... But DEL is such a thin route that it won't survive double daily at the moment.

cityshuttle

Tue May 15, 2018 9:09 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
ilari wrote:
Potential destinations would be URC, DEL (double daily), and
DXB

Well, AY is actually flying HEL-DXB during winter schedule.

[planned again Oct-08-2018 until Mar-30-2019]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos