Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A388
Topic Author

Airline Livery Design Tools

Sun May 13, 2018 5:53 pm

Hi,

Can anyone advise on which software tools there are to design airline liveries? Or is this always a tailor made software program?

Cheers,

A388

Scooter

Re: Airline Livery Design Tools

Sun May 13, 2018 8:26 pm

There are no special tools for this. I'd wager to guess that most design agencies are using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop to generate the design, and Maya/3D Studio Max/etc. for final renderings and animations. That's the way I do it anyway, and I haven't found a better solution (and I've been in the design industry for 20 years now).
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing obnoxiously-detailed trip reports.

tommyarias

Sun May 13, 2018 11:08 pm

Adobe Illustrator is one of the most popular graphic design tools out there. That would be enough in many cases but I am sure some agencies use more softwares.
"Insert Generic Signature or Quote" - Generic Name

A388
Topic Author

Mon May 14, 2018 3:15 am

Thanks for the tips everyone. I have never done this but I've always liked applying liveries to aircraft such as a Pan Am A380 or something like that (if you get my point). The problem I always had was that I needed to use the cloning tool in Photoshop to remove airline titles or add the livery to an all-white aircraft. I can imagine that designing an airline livery on a software gives a different impression compared to applying your design to an actual photo of a real aircraft that is plain white just to give an example. Does Adobe Illustrator also give this option (applying your design to a photo of an aircraft instead which also uses shadows and sunlight conditions of the photo used or does the illustrator only give you the option to make your own airline design on a drawing alone)? If I use Photoshop and edit the colors you see where the edited part is because the colors of the edited sections don't have shadows or sunlight on it but are just plain colors that I've added. This of course isn't attractive to show an airline I can imagine.

A388

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos