727LOVER
Topic Author

AA kicks off 1st class pax for serving drinks to economy pax

Mon May 14, 2018 3:33 pm

Normally articles are written in a poor pax/evil airline type manner. But not this one. It portrays the pax as a complete jerk. How refreshing ! :yes:

I wan't aware of this FAA regulation. :shakehead:

https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk/am ... drink.html

I guess this is him:
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... ack-coach/
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

masgniw

Re: AA kicks off 1st class pax for serving drinks to economy pax

Mon May 14, 2018 3:35 pm

727LOVER wrote:
Normally articles are written in a poor pax/evil airline type manner. But not this one. It portrays the pax as a complete jerk. How refreshing ! :yes:

I wan't aware of this FAA regulation. :shakehead:

I guess this is him:

Complete jerk? The man's doing a genuine public service!

SPREE34

Mon May 14, 2018 3:39 pm

Looks, a good bit of the time, DO tell us something about people.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

readytotaxi

Mon May 14, 2018 3:45 pm

Good to see an airline serving Dom Perignon. ;)
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

neomax

Mon May 14, 2018 3:56 pm

Even for AA, I had no idea they could stoop this low.

Good to luck to PR on trying to spin this as a positive!

davescj

Mon May 14, 2018 4:04 pm

I believe it is FAA policy that only an FA can serve alcohol aboard the flight. While perhaps his heart was in the right place, what he did was dumb. Especially after he was told NO by the FA. If it was that big a deal, could he not simply have bought them something during the regular drink run?
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

LAXtoATL

Mon May 14, 2018 4:12 pm

neomax wrote:

I don't think they have to worry about spinning it since the passenger was violating a FAA regulation

airbazar

Mon May 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Regulation 14 CFR 121.575 declares: "No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him."

What if it's a "her" instead of "him"? :)

Jamake1

Mon May 14, 2018 4:45 pm

There’s a way to do this. A brief explanation that you have two friends, business partners, associates, etc. sitting in Economy, followed by a very nice request to the flight attendant, will often yield the desired result.
Come fly the sun.

Italianflyer

Mon May 14, 2018 5:34 pm

This was a Justin Ross Lee stunt...a blogger who takes great pride in being an...ummm......'provocateur'. He calls himself a 'JewJetter' who makes a living by exploiting grey areas in airline, security & hotel policies. It usually involves picking fights.
Nothing to see here.

Here is a vid of his methodology. Caution: LOTS of profanity

https://youtu.be/HWYhRGsITM0

jeffh747

Mon May 14, 2018 5:56 pm

For me the most confusing line was “It’s a flight out of a legacy US Airways hub so predeparture beverages are possible.” Are PDBs unavailable from outstations or legacy AA hubs? The author makes it seem like the PDBs are a thing exclusive to LUS hubs/
A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

Austin787

Mon May 14, 2018 7:12 pm

jeffh747 wrote:
For me the most confusing line was “It’s a flight out of a legacy US Airways hub so predeparture beverages are possible.” Are PDBs unavailable from outstations or legacy AA hubs? The author makes it seem like the PDBs are a thing exclusive to LUS hubs/

LAA crew are very hit or miss in serving PDBs. LUS crews tend to be more consistent in serving PDBs.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Mon May 14, 2018 7:37 pm

Italianflyer wrote:
This was a Justin Ross Lee stunt...a blogger who takes great pride in being an...ummm......'provocateur'. He calls himself a 'JewJetter' who makes a living by exploiting grey areas in airline, security & hotel policies. It usually involves picking fights.
Nothing to see here.

Here is a vid of his methodology. Caution: LOTS of profanity

https://youtu.be/HWYhRGsITM0

LOL....I already hate him.

masgniw wrote:
Normally articles are written in a poor pax/evil airline type manner. But not this one. It portrays the pax as a complete jerk. How refreshing !

I wan't aware of this FAA regulation.

I guess this is him:

Complete jerk? The man's doing a genuine public service!

Yeah, after seeing that video, I'll stand by my comment :lol:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Antarius

Mon May 14, 2018 7:45 pm

neomax wrote:

So what next, because my friend is in F he can bring me up there? Send food back?

This guy sounds like a total tool. If he had just asked nicely, the FA may have sent some back. Simple
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN LAS SJC OAK DEN TXL GDL

dtw2hyd

Mon May 14, 2018 7:55 pm

readytotaxi wrote:

That picture was from 2013. If DP was found on AA in any class, they will declare emergency and land at the nearest airport.

airbazar wrote:
Regulation 14 CFR 121.575 declares: "No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him."

What if it's a "her" instead of "him"? :)

I think he is good. Rule says No person may drink, hence those who serve is not violating any CAR.

travelsonic

Mon May 14, 2018 8:05 pm

727LOVER wrote:

Eh, I think it's just as sucky to take one extreme over the other. Is it so hard for them to go "this happened, supposedly, one side says X happened, other says Y happened?"

deebee278

Mon May 14, 2018 8:08 pm

AA has been known to ban passengers who are consistently disruptive. I know of two celebrities from the distant past. Another may have been banned more recently but I don't know that for a fact.

Super80Fan

Mon May 14, 2018 9:04 pm

I know B6 does, but do the rest of the airlines let you bring your own alcohol if you hand it over to the FA to serve you?
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

twicearound

Mon May 14, 2018 9:51 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
I know B6 does, but do the rest of the airlines let you bring your own alcohol if you hand it over to the FA to serve you?

no

WingsOfLove

Mon May 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Fellow F/C passenger(s) seem to agree with AA.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/aa-tosses ... passenger/

WorldFlier

Mon May 14, 2018 10:14 pm

Antarius wrote:
neomax wrote:

So what next, because my friend is in F he can bring me up there? Send food back?

This guy sounds like a total tool. If he had just asked nicely, the FA may have sent some back. Simple

This. When Mrs. WorldFlier is up front, I have made small talk about how there was one seat left and it's her's....somehow I magically left the back with a complimentary glass of wine.

This was before 1Ks got a free drink, or free drinks on International came back at UA.

ua900

Mon May 14, 2018 10:16 pm

readytotaxi wrote:

Now we know why Thai isn't making money :duck:

davescj wrote:
I believe it is FAA policy that only an FA can serve alcohol aboard the flight. While perhaps his heart was in the right place, what he did was dumb. Especially after he was told NO by the FA. If it was that big a deal, could he not simply have bought them something during the regular drink run?

No need to buy. Federal law merely requires that the crew serves it, e.g. you can BYO and request that they "serve it" to you, and I've never seen a F/A refuse. It's all about controlling how much someone is having so that they don't become a hazard.

Austin787 wrote:
jeffh747 wrote:

LAA crew are very hit or miss in serving PDBs. LUS crews tend to be more consistent in serving PDBs.

Ironic, no? LUS serve PDBs more consistently but then have a tendency to disappear behind the curtain. Can't have it all :lol:
Last edited by ua900 on Mon May 14, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020: DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL

ua900

Mon May 14, 2018 10:18 pm

WorldFlier wrote:
Antarius wrote:
neomax wrote:

This. When Mrs. WorldFlier is up front, I have made small talk about how there was one seat left and it's her's....somehow I magically left the back with a complimentary glass of wine.

This was before 1Ks got a free drink, or free drinks on International came back at UA.

Well, we did have the vouchers, but no shame in that :checkmark:
2020: DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL

DeltaXNA

Mon May 14, 2018 11:13 pm

What airport is that in the picture at the top of the article. There's an AA MD80 and 738. Korean Air 777 parked in the background.

Nevermind, I believe it is ORD from a different angle.

Super80Fan

Mon May 14, 2018 11:15 pm

twicearound wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

no

What customer unfriendly POS's then. B6 is the best of both worlds and very customer friendly, you can either BOB or have the FA serve you your drinks, keeping it completely legal and a win win for all. The rest are just asking me to sneak mini's on-board and slipping them into my Coke/Orange Juice.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

Miamiairport

Tue May 15, 2018 12:08 am

Remember the FAs need to get the aircraft ready for departure. Having some F pax playing Robin Hood during the boarding process just creates havoc during what already can be a chaotic time. Sometimes boarding appears completed but suddenly more paxs are boarding-stand bys clearing, late arriving connections. FAs would likely prefer paxs take their seats and remain there.

aeromoe

Tue May 15, 2018 12:26 am

Miamiairport wrote:
FAs would likely prefer paxs take their seats and remain there.

Isn't that the point of boarding a plane...to take the seat and prepare for pushback? FAs try to enforce that policy on every flight.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

Antarius

Tue May 15, 2018 12:54 am

Super80Fan wrote:
twicearound wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

no

What customer unfriendly POS's then. B6 is the best of both worlds and very customer friendly, you can either BOB or have the FA serve you your drinks, keeping it completely legal and a win win for all. The rest are just asking me to sneak mini's on-board and slipping them into my Coke/Orange Juice.

I dont know if it has been expressly forbidden. I have had FAs serve me and friends before - these were nice minis we had with us.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN LAS SJC OAK DEN TXL GDL

tonystan

Tue May 15, 2018 11:10 am

Is there anyone in the US that’s capable of just sitting down and not being a pain in the arse?
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

vhtje

Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am

I have done that on two occasions, but not as obnoxiously as this man did.

The first time I was seated in Club upstairs on a BA 747. My partner was downstairs in Premium Economy. The CSD came and asked if there was anything he could do for me, so I cheekily asked if a glass of champagne could please be sent to my partner in seat 30A (or whatever it was). A drink was swiftly delivered (and appreciated)

The second time I was on an Air Canada Rouge flight from SFO to YVR. I was seated in the last row in Business, and separating me from the extremely close first row of economy was a curtain that did not extend all the way down - so that the passengers behind me could see through the space between the two business class seats above the arm rest what I was eating and drinking. We struck up a friendly conversation, which ended with my passing food and drink to them. The FA knew what I was doing and handed me extra food and drink (he thought it was funny).

Never knew I was breaking an FAA regulation though.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

flydude380

Tue May 15, 2018 9:19 pm

Is this guy for a real?! Think he needs to move over here to Europe and start flying budget carriers instead. Well done AA!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos