rj777
Topic Author

Effect of Kilauea eruption on Hawaii Aviation

Mon May 14, 2018 10:46 pm

Has anybody heard anything of how the eruption of Kilauea is affecting aviation in the area?

DC10LAXJFK

Re: Effect of Kilauea eruption on Hawaii Aviation

Mon May 14, 2018 11:17 pm

Just got back from OGG, flew out Thursday 5/10. While I was there, the tradewinds were blowing (I believe from the Northeast), so no impact to Maui (so likely none of the other islands) and no impact to ITO or KOA as of then.

However, the tradewinds started dying down on Thursday the 10th and they were expecting that some of the vog (volcanic fog) was going to start to make its way over, along with the sulfur by Friday the 11th, so they were a bit worried about breathing impact, especially those with difficulties. Not sure whether that happened or got worse or better.

My guess is that, unless there's an explosive event that shoots ash above 1000 fee and the winds start coming from the southeast), there won't be an impact to commercial aviation. I believe they've imposed a no fly zone over the area, though. Only caveat is that ITO could be impacted before KOA or OGG and only if bad HNL.

I'd also suspect that if you start to see a lot of 1/2 way turnarounds or diverts to HNL, then that will be the sign that things have gone downhill fast.

azjubilee

Mon May 14, 2018 11:51 pm

There's been no impact yet, from the Kilauea eruption. Even on non tradewind days, the vog that is often apparent, isn't impacting people and aviation more than it usually does. As mentioned, it would likely take an explosive eruption, which they're warning about, for it to make negative impacts on aviation in the state. Even then, the impact would be difficult to predict.

zululima

Tue May 15, 2018 12:17 am

There's a lot of media hype around the eruption, but I wouldn't expect any major aviation impact. Kilauea just doesn't erupt that way. Hawaii is all shield volcanoes and not the explosive stratovolcano type where gasses from a subducting ocean plate build up under a continental plate and then blow skyward.
I didn't get a 'Harumph' outta that guy!

Bobloblaw

Tue May 15, 2018 12:19 am

not that type of volcano.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue May 15, 2018 1:26 am

I was too young to remember but I thought some of the eruptions back in the mid-80s impacted ITO and KOA at times with vog.

rj777
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2018 5:37 pm

Kilauea is now a Code Red- meaning a significant danger to aviation:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/16/ash-clo ... ation.html

aloha73g

Wed May 16, 2018 7:04 pm

DC10LAXJFK wrote:
Just got back from OGG, flew out Thursday 5/10. While I was there, the tradewinds were blowing (I believe from the Northeast), so no impact to Maui (so likely none of the other islands) and no impact to ITO or KOA as of then.

However, the tradewinds started dying down on Thursday the 10th and they were expecting that some of the vog (volcanic fog) was going to start to make its way over, along with the sulfur by Friday the 11th, so they were a bit worried about breathing impact, especially those with difficulties. Not sure whether that happened or got worse or better.

My guess is that, unless there's an explosive event that shoots ash above 1000 fee and the winds start coming from the southeast), there won't be an impact to commercial aviation. I believe they've imposed a no fly zone over the area, though. Only caveat is that ITO could be impacted before KOA or OGG and only if bad HNL.

I'd also suspect that if you start to see a lot of 1/2 way turnarounds or diverts to HNL, then that will be the sign that things have gone downhill fast.

The vog last week Friday (5/11) was bad, but no worse than any other bad "voggy day" in the past 30+ years that Kilauea has been erupting.

If there is a 1924 style explosive eruption at Kilauea, depending on the winds at that time Hilo is most likely to be affected as in 1924 the ash cloud traveled about 15 miles north of Hilo. Other than a few possible interisland flight cancellations or delays I don't see much impact ... Keep in mind that the ash cloud has to go higher than 13,000 feet to get past Mauna Loa which is blocking Kona and the rest of the islands. Anyone who has ever been to Kilauea knows how imposing and HUGE Mauna Loa is. The ash cloud yesterday only reached 12,000 feet and was blown out over Ka'u and then the ocean (away from ITO and KOA).

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

BN727227Ultra

Kīlauea erupts to FL 300:

Thu May 17, 2018 6:18 pm

it's not new magma, but pulverized old rock that isn't as damaging to fan blades--but nothing you want to fly through. Discrete explosion that lasted a few minutes. The govt scientists state that there could be more, maybe bigger eruptions, but nothing like Eyjafjallajökull in terms of a high-traffic area. Probably won't even affect KOA, but it might put down some ash at ITO. Of course it happened before sun-up, so no photos.

Sooner787

Re: Kīlauea erupts to FL 300:

Thu May 17, 2018 6:36 pm

I just read the plume was drifting southeast, so shouldn't effect the airways int HNL for the time being.

Spacepope

Thu May 17, 2018 6:43 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:
it's not new magma, but pulverized old rock that isn't as damaging to fan blades--but nothing you want to fly through. Discrete explosion that lasted a few minutes. The govt scientists state that there could be more, maybe bigger eruptions, but nothing like Eyjafjallajökull in terms of a high-traffic area. Probably won't even affect KOA, but it might put down some ash at ITO. Of course it happened before sun-up, so no photos.

As a geologist, I just want to point out that if you're flying through magma, you've got bigger problems.

New rock, old rock, in the end it's all ash and terrible on turbines.
The last of the famous international playboys

reffado

Thu May 17, 2018 7:27 pm

Spacepope wrote:
BN727227Ultra wrote:

As a geologist, I just want to point out that if you're flying through magma, you've got bigger problems.

This comment made my day.

BN727227Ultra

Thu May 17, 2018 7:31 pm

Spacepope wrote:
BN727227Ultra wrote:

No doubt :-) I don't remember where I read it, but the tenor of the article was that tephra had a nasty habit of melting in the combustion chamber and glazing the turbines, while there was less of this with lithics such as this old, altered rock that was pulverized and sent up today--just plain old abrading.

Spacepope

Thu May 17, 2018 11:12 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:
Spacepope wrote:
BN727227Ultra wrote:

No doubt :-) I don't remember where I read it, but the tenor of the article was that tephra had a nasty habit of melting in the combustion chamber and glazing the turbines, while there was less of this with lithics such as this old, altered rock that was pulverized and sent up today--just plain old abrading.

The rocks themselves that make tephra is very different in comparison to the basaltic rocks we are dealing with here in Hawaii. Felsic (Feldspar and Silicate) rocks from stratovolcanoes has a much lower melt temp than Mafic (magnesium and iron based) rocks in shield volcanoes. All this really means in practice if you fly through an ash plume is the mafic ash will erode your turbine blades a bit more before killing the engine outright.
The last of the famous international playboys

BN727227Ultra

Fri May 18, 2018 1:21 pm

Spacepope wrote:
BN727227Ultra wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

The rocks themselves that make tephra is very different in comparison to the basaltic rocks we are dealing with here in Hawaii. Felsic (Feldspar and Silicate) rocks from stratovolcanoes has a much lower melt temp than Mafic (magnesium and iron based) rocks in shield volcanoes. All this really means in practice if you fly through an ash plume is the mafic ash will erode your turbine blades a bit more before killing the engine outright.

Thanks! Are you on Volcanocafe? Check it out, it gets silly sometimes but it's the best thing to a volcano hotline.

smokeybandit

Fri May 18, 2018 1:44 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:
but nothing like Eyjafjallajökull in terms of a high-traffic area. .

I will be very impressed if you didn't have to look up that spelling.

BN727227Ultra

Fri May 18, 2018 2:43 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
BN727227Ultra wrote:
but nothing like Eyjafjallajökull in terms of a high-traffic area. .

I will be very impressed if you didn't have to look up that spelling.

Thanks, but no :-) Google, and CRTL-C CRTL-V is my friend!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos