Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mattnrsa
Topic Author

Hail Damages Southwest Planes in DEN

Mon May 14, 2018 11:05 pm

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/05/14/f ... rport/amp/

Sixty Southwest flights were canceled in and out of DEN due to a hail storm last night that damaged over a dozen planes, but surprisingly other airlines weren’t affected. The article mentions that most of the storm was on the north side of the airport. Not sure if there was more at play here, but could the storm really isolate one concourse like that? That would be some major luck for the tenants of the A and B concourses, which aren’t that far away.

UA and F9 have hangars on the north side of the airport, but I haven’t seen reports of planes parked outside the hangars that may have been damaged.

WeatherPilot

Re: Hail Damages Southwest Planes in DEN

Mon May 14, 2018 11:09 pm

Yes, the hail core of a storm can be that concentrated.

737MAX7

Mon May 14, 2018 11:14 pm

mattnrsa wrote:
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/05/14/flights-canceled-hail-denver-international-airport/amp/

Sixty Southwest flights were canceled in and out of DEN due to a hail storm last night that damaged over a dozen planes, but surprisingly other airlines weren’t affected. The article mentions that most of the storm was on the north side of the airport. Not sure if there was more at play here, but could the storm really isolate one concourse like that? That would be some major luck for the tenants of the A and B concourses, which aren’t that far away.

UA and F9 have hangars on the north side of the airport, but I haven’t seen reports of planes parked outside the hangars that may have been damaged.

Having seen video from a friend of mine whom works for SWA at DEN there is nothing “more at play” here. It was pouring hail.

bob75013

Mon May 14, 2018 11:17 pm

mattnrsa wrote:
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/05/14/flights-canceled-hail-denver-international-airport/amp/

Denver sources are saying his might have been a billion dollar hail storm with heavy damage stretching from Wheat Ridge to DIA (and maybe beyond) that's around a 20-25 mile long swath. I'd be amazed if other DIA tenants are not also affected.

Prost

Mon May 14, 2018 11:18 pm

Jeez universe, cut WN some slack here, will ya?

mattnrsa
Topic Author

Mon May 14, 2018 11:27 pm

737MAX7 wrote:
Having seen video from a friend of mine whom works for SWA at DEN there is nothing “more at play” here. It was pouring hail.

Wasn’t meaning “more at play” in a nefarious way. Just wondering if other airlines had planes damaged too but were able to complete the inspections and repairs before operational start-up. Generally there are planes parked outside the hangars which are also on the north side, along with other airlines on the C concourse.

But yes, sometimes with the weather it just comes down to luck.

globalflyer

Mon May 14, 2018 11:55 pm

I took off from DEN this afternoon and wondered why there were so many (I counted 15) WN 737s grounded. WOW!!! And at Stapleton we had nothing!
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

WN732

Mon May 14, 2018 11:58 pm

Looks like Illinois One was one of those affected.

neomax

Tue May 15, 2018 12:11 am

Was UA not affected by this!?!

N809FR

Tue May 15, 2018 12:22 am

We had a big storm blow through last night, I live on the south end of town and we only got heavy rain. With how far apart this terminals are in Denver I’m not at all surprised it could hit one and not another.

United1

Tue May 15, 2018 1:58 am

neomax wrote:
Was UA not affected by this!?!

No...and no one else was fortunately.

Bad month for WN....

“We’ve been puzzled why Southwest has announced so many cancellations reportedly due to hail but the other airlines have been relatively unscathed,” Altieri said. “A closer look at the archive radar data shows the most intense part of the storm – the section of the storm containing the majority of the hail – stayed over the north side of the airport. So the C Gates were likely impacted far more than the A and B Gates located farther south. And of course Southwest is based in C.”

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/05/14/f ... l-airport/
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

Narfish641

Tue May 15, 2018 2:08 am

Ouch, man tough luck for Southwest. Not starting out too well for them. This year in aviation has been a very eventful one. Yes, stuff happens every year, but good Lord has 2018 started off with a bang.
Flew on:
SWA 737 738

N353SK

Tue May 15, 2018 2:47 am

It's quite common for a swath of large, damaging hail to be only 100-200 yards wide.

jetero

Tue May 15, 2018 2:54 am

How often do these storms happen? I was there for one in July 2011 and it hit the terminal complex, I think F9 took the hardest hit. It’s the only time in 1.5 million miles I had to sleep in a terminal. No hotel rooms from Ft Collins to Pueblo. Scott Walker had to do the same ... how democratic!

Spacepope

Tue May 15, 2018 1:04 pm

These storms usually happen a little later in the summer after the monsoon sets up, with big pop up storms in the afternoon that only last a short while. We get all kinds of interesting diversions down here in COS (when we're not getting pummeled too).

How many aircraft are still grounded and what kind of damage are we seeing? Is this an inspection thing? Are we talking replacement of control surfaces and sheet metal work?
The last of the famous international playboys

RJNUT

Tue May 15, 2018 1:08 pm

jetero wrote:
How often do these storms happen? I was there for one in July 2011 and it hit the terminal complex, I think F9 took the hardest hit. It’s the only time in 1.5 million miles I had to sleep in a terminal. No hotel rooms from Ft Collins to Pueblo. Scott Walker had to do the same ... how democratic!

Some critics of the new DIA before it ever being built had concerns of its being in the path of more severe storm propagation than at Stapleton. The argument was actually toward tornadoes, but that also brings hail as well.

stburke

Tue May 15, 2018 2:23 pm

RJNUT wrote:
jetero wrote:

Some critics of the new DIA before it ever being built had concerns of its being in the path of more severe storm propagation than at Stapleton. The argument was actually toward tornadoes, but that also brings hail as well.

Only a matter of time re: Tornados

bradyj23

Tue May 15, 2018 2:41 pm

Storms on the front range can be odd. We get tornados but not often. Hail can be heavy in one area and nothing right next door. I'll never forget being in my backyard where there was no rain and it was pouring in my neighbors yard. It's Colorado.

jscottwomack

Tue May 15, 2018 3:22 pm

Hail is funny. I live in the Oklahoma City metro. The house next to me (less than 15 feet) has had their roof replaced 2 times and house across the street (within 70 feet) 3 times over the last 9 years. My house has the same roof since it was built in 2008 and no damage. I have had the insurance company out and several roofers and all say the roof is fine. Just had the roof inspected this spring again - all good. Mother nature can be very picky on who she decides needs a new roof. Just like a tornado. It can destroy 1 house and leave the house right next door untouched.
TWA, Ozark, Braniff, Piedmont, USAir, American, Delta, Frontier, Midwest Express, Western, Eastern, Southwest, Northwest, PanAm, United, Mississippi Valley, Britt, Continental, Trans America, Midway, America West, National, American Trans Air, Sun Country

OA412

Tue May 15, 2018 3:37 pm

As others have noted, it's not uncommon for a hail storm to be that concentrated. We see them here in DEN all the time.
jetero wrote:

They happen with some degree of regularity. We had a large hail storm last year around this time that did damage to vehicles throughout some parts of the metro area, and didn't touch others. I don't believe there was any damage reported at DEN last year. We'll usually get at least a few hail storms this time of year through June or so, but they're usually on a smaller scale. Still, it's not uncommon to have a damaging hail event once per year.
bradyj23 wrote:
Storms on the front range can be odd. We get tornados but not often. Hail can be heavy in one area and nothing right next door. I'll never forget being in my backyard where there was no rain and it was pouring in my neighbors yard. It's Colorado.

This!
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

MIflyer12

Tue May 15, 2018 4:38 pm

How many aircraft are out of service from this storm?

F9LASDEN

Tue May 15, 2018 7:17 pm

Does anyone know whether the damaged planes parked mostly at a remote parking area or at gates on the C Concourse? Interested due to the fact that both NK and AS RON planes at gates on the C concourse and it doesn’t appear that their planes sustained any major damage.
Spirit of the West...A Whole Different Animal...Low Fares Done Right

Super80Fan

Tue May 15, 2018 7:44 pm

Sounds to me like the storm specifically singled out WN. Did someone in Dallas walk under a ladder or have a black cat walk in front of them?
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

NYPECO

Tue May 15, 2018 7:56 pm

Only Southwest was affected by this? Is hail biased against Southwest?

litz

Tue May 15, 2018 9:00 pm

bradyj23 wrote:

It's not just Colorado ... I've had it pouring rain on one side of the house, and dry on the other. In Georgia.

B757Forever

Tue May 15, 2018 10:54 pm

DL had a 757 and an A320 get pounded by hail in DEN about 5 years ago. They were remote parked. It took weeks to repair them. No other aircraft on the field were affected.
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

bob75013

Tue May 15, 2018 11:05 pm

I live in Dallas and our epic airport hail storm was May 1, 1995. It knocked about 100 of AA's planes out of service at DFW - and caused $5000 in damage to my then new Ford Explorer which was parked at DFW for my trip to Calgary

77H

Wed May 16, 2018 3:23 am

mattnrsa wrote:

Ha... you think thats concentrated? Come to Hawaii. It can be raining in the backyard and sunny in the front.

77H

QueenoftheSkies

Wed May 16, 2018 3:37 am

Super80Fan wrote:
Sounds to me like the storm specifically singled out WN. Did someone in Dallas walk under a ladder or have a black cat walk in front of them?

It’s called karma

jpetekyxmd80

Wed May 16, 2018 3:38 am

Payback for all that damn turbulence
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

WollardTC888

Wed May 16, 2018 5:56 am

mattnrsa wrote:

I can say that all of UA’s planes at the hangar were inside Sunday night. There were six to eight inch deep piles of hail between C and the hangars when the day shift arrived Monday morning.

stylo777

Wed May 16, 2018 8:32 am

Is there an overview of all affected aircraft which are out of service?

Brick

Wed May 16, 2018 11:57 pm

Yes, hail events can be very localized. These pics are from the same storm that impacted Denver Int'l Airport:

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

F9Animal

Thu May 17, 2018 2:23 am

Wow, this is crazy! As Brick has shown, hail storms can indeed be very localized. Having seen the bipolar weather in DEN first hand, that airport seems to welcome some crazy weather! I think its location is setup for the perfect storms.
I Am A Different Animal!!

planecane

Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:10 am

litz wrote:
bradyj23 wrote:

It's not just Colorado ... I've had it pouring rain on one side of the house, and dry on the other. In Georgia.

I think that happens everywhere with thunderstorms. It's just a matter of if you happen to be at the border to observe it. The clouds have an edge and the rain comes out of the clouds. I see this all the time driving around in Florida. I can be in dry weather and see pouring rain 1/2 mile ahead on the road.