LY777
Topic Author

Air Italy destinations?

Tue May 15, 2018 6:55 pm

What will be Air Italy destinations?
Flown:717,727,732,733,734,735,738,73H,742/744/748,752,762/2ER/763/3ER,772/77E/773/77W, 788, 789, DC8,DC10,E190,E195,MD83,MD88, L1011, A3B2,A319,A320-100/200,A321,A332/A333,A343,A388

Noise

Re: Air Italy destinations?

Tue May 15, 2018 7:13 pm

Milan MXP.

aviationjunky

Tue May 15, 2018 7:57 pm

According to Wikipedia, the list is as follows:

ACC
BKK (Begins September 9, 2018)
BLQ
CAI
CTA (Begins July 2, 2018)
DSS
DAC (Begins January 1, 2019)
HAV
LOS
SUF
LGW (Seasonal; Begins June 1, 2018)
MIA (Seasonal; Begins June 8, 2018)
LIN
MXP
BGY
MBA (Seasonal)
DME
BOM (Begins October 30, 2018)
NAP
JFK (Begins June 1, 2018)
OLB
PMO
FCO
SSH
TRN
VCE
VRN
ZNZ (Seasonal)
LAS is Life

TheLion

Tue May 15, 2018 9:16 pm

OP, why don’t you just find out for yourself? This info is easily available publicly...

LY777
Topic Author

Tue May 15, 2018 9:20 pm

aviationjunky wrote:
According to Wikipedia, the list is as follows:

ACC
BKK (Begins September 9, 2018)
BLQ
CAI
CTA (Begins July 2, 2018)
DSS
DAC (Begins January 1, 2019)
HAV
LOS
SUF
LGW (Seasonal; Begins June 1, 2018)
MIA (Seasonal; Begins June 8, 2018)
LIN
MXP
BGY
MBA (Seasonal)
DME
BOM (Begins October 30, 2018)
NAP
JFK (Begins June 1, 2018)
OLB
PMO
FCO
SSH
TRN
VCE
VRN
ZNZ (Seasonal)

So, no intra-European flights?
Flown:717,727,732,733,734,735,738,73H,742/744/748,752,762/2ER/763/3ER,772/77E/773/77W, 788, 789, DC8,DC10,E190,E195,MD83,MD88, L1011, A3B2,A319,A320-100/200,A321,A332/A333,A343,A388

amirs

Wed May 16, 2018 1:29 am

TLV as well

QuawerAir

Wed May 16, 2018 4:21 am

Hopefully HEL in the future. Alitalia planned a service from Milan-Linate to HEL back in 2013 but never happened.
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
The word "Quawer" means nothing but it looks great.

PatrickZ80

Wed May 16, 2018 5:28 am

LY777 wrote:
So, no intra-European flights?

If you cared to look, a good number of the destinations you quoted is European. Even some domestic. However it's all done out of their hub in Milan Malpensa.

Noise wrote:
Milan MXP.

That's their hub, question is about destinations.

BOMFlyer

Wed May 16, 2018 6:03 am

Wait, DHAKA? Are you sure? I can't find anything about Dhaka-Milan flights. There's no citation on wikipedia.

smi0006

Wed May 16, 2018 6:03 am

Be interesting to see if they have a wave of banks set up, and how this is driven by QR flights also. I do hope we see them in oneworld. Good feed from BA, AA, CX and LA - not just QR. Not bad for a restarted airline

Given the close branding ties, AAB at all events and identical uniforms, there is no effort made to distance them selves from QR.

Maybe strange but I wonder if we could see them in Australia via DOH? QR have used up their rights so can’t fly additional services here, perhaps IG via DOH could add a service to MEL- once 789a arrive. Large Italian community combined with leisure and business traffic to Italy and the DOH hub. We’ve seen QR start CBR only to access SYD. Whilst only 49% owner by QR they maybe happy to not have all the revenue but take people off EK/EY. There was talk this was EK/QFs plan to Germany via DXB, QF would add routes as EK was maxed out, but the German gov said no.
Last edited by smi0006 on Wed May 16, 2018 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

chunhimlai

Wed May 16, 2018 6:07 am

DTW and PBI
FNJ and LXA as well

chunhimlai

Wed May 16, 2018 6:09 am

DTW and PBI
FNJ and LXA as well

Waterbomber

Wed May 16, 2018 9:18 am

smi0006 wrote:
Be interesting to see if they have a wave of banks set up, and how this is driven by QR flights also. I do hope we see them in oneworld. Good feed from BA, AA, CX and LA - not just QR. Not bad for a restarted airline

Given the close branding ties, AAB at all events and identical uniforms, there is no effort made to distance them selves from QR.

Maybe strange but I wonder if we could see them in Australia via DOH? QR have used up their rights so can’t fly additional services here, perhaps IG via DOH could add a service to MEL- once 789a arrive. Large Italian community combined with leisure and business traffic to Italy and the DOH hub. We’ve seen QR start CBR only to access SYD. Whilst only 49% owner by QR they maybe happy to not have all the revenue but take people off EK/EY. There was talk this was EK/QFs plan to Germany via DXB, QF would add routes as EK was maxed out, but the German gov said no.

It wont be easy for them to succeed.
I've been in OLB a few days ago and most of the branding is still Meridiana. This is 2 years after the take over was announced.
The problem is that QR is only half commited, the same way EY was only half commited to AZ. I'm not talking about the % shareholding but the way they are investing. It is way too cautious compared to how they wield their wallet for their home carrier and built their hubs.
EY also promised a lot of widebodies etc... But after the initial excitement, they never came.
I said a while ago that the new IG will likely hub at MXP, way before it was announced. I also said that they won't last very long...
The sooner they send scores of shiny brand new planes, the faster the demise. The IG managements of the past were not very competent but they survived a long time.

If they set up a real hub, they stand a chance, but it still won't be easy and will burn a lot of cash before becoming sustainable and then profitable.
I'm talking about committing 40 narrowbodies and 20 widebodies right now and gradually see pax numbers and yields increase.
Not the current strategy of adding 3 or 4 new aircraft per year and adding random routes with seemingly plausible O&D.
Last edited by Waterbomber on Wed May 16, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slash787

Wed May 16, 2018 9:27 am

Bombay is starting from 30th October, there are tickets available from 31st October and the return fare is coming at around Rs. 28,000 ($400), but I guess its without Tax, but even if they add $50 to $100 for taxes, it is a pretty good deal.

FatCat

Wed May 16, 2018 9:46 am

As an Italian, I hope for them to succeed, but the future seen today is dusty, not very bright.

First of all Air Italy needs planes.
Actually they have a bunch of 737 and -8, plus a single MAX8 in the fleet.
The single A332 is doing familiarization flights out of VBS and is currently being painted.

Second, they need routes. It would not be another Neos doing leisure charters to tropical destinations. So they have to add more EU routes, currently dominated by FR.
And long haul flights. AZ simply doesn't exist anymore, having a bunch of routes to South America, one to Tokio (NRT If I'm not wrong), JFK (on which operates the single 77W), LAX (77E or 332) and MIA (332). Also, flying AZ out of any other airport other than FCO can be pretty tricky, that's why personally, for my long haul flights, I do always prefer to fly LH, having smooth connection flights to FRA or MUC. US3 do serve pretty well Italy, some 10 days ago AA was celebrating its JFK-MXP route 10th birthday with a brand new 16 years old 77E. ( http://www.varesenews.it/2018/05/boeing ... es/713131/ )

Then they need customers.
The most successful carrier in Italy, as said before, is FR.
They have very competitive fares.
They have a nice domestic and EU routing.
They even get a contribution to serve small airports like CRV (€ 400k for marketing campaigns) or REG, but also from bigger airports
Big discussion for the second runway (2200mt) is to have FR's 738s also, because now they serve with great success PSA

I don't see much space left for Air Italy - what are your opinions?
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

idp5601

Wed May 16, 2018 9:47 am

Waterbomber wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

I've been in OLB a few days ago and most of the branding is still Meridiana. This is 2 years after the take over was announced.

To be fair, they only actually rebranded 3 months ago. They're not going to transition to the new name and identity overnight.

LupineChemist

Wed May 16, 2018 10:24 am

With the QR tie up and rumors of them going to Oneworld, curious to not see LHR, MAD, nor HEL on the list. Only OW hubs there seem to be JFK and MIA (and do they have any codeshare agreement with AA yet?)

oldannyboy

Wed May 16, 2018 12:46 pm

Waterbomber wrote:

No, it's barely 3 months maybe, and there was no take over.

Meridiana and Air Italy were -up to about 3 months ago- two separate companies operating within the "Air Italy Group" with two separate brands and liveries.
The new 'unified' visual identity has just been introduced, so no wonder that in Olbia (the historical base of Meridiana and NOT of Air Italy) they still have signage of the old IG...

konkret

Wed May 16, 2018 12:57 pm

LupineChemist wrote:
With the QR tie up and rumors of them going to Oneworld, curious to not see LHR, MAD, nor HEL on the list. Only OW hubs there seem to be JFK and MIA (and do they have any codeshare agreement with AA yet?)

LHR - they would first need to obtain slots
HEL - wouldn’t make sense as for travel to Asia they would prefer for pax to fly on QR through DOH

Codeshare with AA - highly unlikelkly, AA is not a fan of QR to say the least

FatCat

Wed May 16, 2018 1:48 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
Waterbomber wrote:

Meridiana and Air Italy were -up to about 3 months ago- two separate companies operating within the "Air Italy Group" with two separate brands and liveries.
The new 'unified' visual identity has just been introduced, so no wonder that in Olbia (the historical base of Meridiana and NOT of Air Italy) they still have signage of the old IG...

Nope. The old Air Italy was absorbed by IG in 2011 and has had all the planes re-painted by 2013. Anyway it was still operative for the charter flights, but flying for IG.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

oldannyboy

Wed May 16, 2018 2:41 pm

FatCat wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
Waterbomber wrote:

Nope. The old Air Italy was absorbed by IG in 2011 and has had all the planes re-painted by 2013. Anyway it was still operative for the charter flights, but flying for IG.

Well, yes and no. Air Italy was still 'technically' flying the leisure charter routes -sometimes with all white leased-in aircraft, or with a mix of Meridiana and/or Air Italy branded aircraft- but otherwise the whole Air Italy fleet had been repainted in (the old but VERY CLASSY!) Meridiana colours.
In the latest move -how confusing!- the 'crappy' name Air Italy has been revived, and given this new -equally crappy- visual identity.

aviationjunky

Wed May 16, 2018 8:05 pm

BOMFlyer wrote:
Wait, DHAKA? Are you sure? I can't find anything about Dhaka-Milan flights. There's no citation on wikipedia.

I can't find anything on Google about an announcement, but it's listed on the Wiki page.
LAS is Life

FatCat

Thu May 17, 2018 9:00 am

oldannyboy wrote:
Well, yes and no. Air Italy was still 'technically' flying the leisure charter routes -sometimes with all white leased-in aircraft, or with a mix of Meridiana and/or Air Italy branded aircraft- but otherwise the whole Air Italy fleet had been repainted in (the old but VERY CLASSY!) Meridiana colours.
In the latest move -how confusing!- the 'crappy' name Air Italy has been revived, and given this new -equally crappy- visual identity.

Not agree... the IG livery was ok in the 80's...
If we have to find a nice italian carrier's livery we have to go back to ATI Aerotrasporti Italiani Spa immediately after the merger with AZ...

Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

oldannyboy

Thu May 17, 2018 9:04 am

FatCat wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Not agree... the IG livery was ok in the 80's...
If we have to find a nice italian carrier's livery we have to go back to ATI Aerotrasporti Italiani Spa immediately after the merger with AZ...

Disagree that IG was not classy! :biting:

Fully agree that ATI had a stunning livery! :yes: I remember flying a truly spotless DC-9/30 into LGW in the summer of '87.... it looked so stunning, and the cabin was so immaculate!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos