Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TWA772LR
Topic Author

UA and SE Asia

Wed May 16, 2018 6:25 am

UA used to serve a myriad of cities in Southeast Asia, now they only serve SIN. What are the chances of them returning to BKK and SGN, and even starting KUL in the future now that more efficient aircraft have entered the fleet with more to come? Or are these destinations just going to be served by partner airlines forever?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

TheFlyingDisk

Re: UA and SE Asia

Wed May 16, 2018 6:42 am

I don't see the benefits of UA coming to KUL. SQ has KUL well covered to be honest and if not SQ, there's MH and all the LCCs to pick up the slack.

Plus Malaysian-US O&D traffic isn't that big. I really doubt that it will grow even with the new government in power.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

NZ321

Wed May 16, 2018 6:52 am

Agree with Flying Desk re KUL. Wouldn't hold my breath on BKK either especially if TG go ahead although I suppose it's in with an outside chance. SGN is an interesting one, being the commercial hub of Vietnam. But if UA is going to return it would IMHO be nonstop not via an intermediate point. With fuel on the increase I'd say it might not be the right time to launch another ULH nonstop - but who knows?
Plane mad!

LAX772LR

Wed May 16, 2018 7:11 am

There's no point in UA returning to those markets in the advent of their ATI with NH. The few markets that that agreement doesn't cover, their looser partnerships with SQ/TG/BR do.

The opportunity cost of tying up aircraft for such routes is apparently too high for them to bother with. We've seen the exact same from DL.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

United Airline

Wed May 16, 2018 7:15 am

What about flying to Jakarta via Hong Kong?

They once planned to serve KUL in the late 80s and the early 90s but it never happened.

blink182

Wed May 16, 2018 8:08 am

SE Asia is fairly low yielding—yes there are the usual gamut of five star hotels and major business centers, but the bulk of such travel on UA is likely to be backpackers in search of lowest fares or mileage redeemers. Might work for a flight to Europe, but a 4x weekly to daily service could easily tie up 3 aircraft. SIN works because it’s high yielding finance, but I can’t see KL and especially BKK working. Aircraft utility is paramount here—these would be very long flights, and I can’t see UA getting away with charging double to compensate for the longer duration(sometimes as much as double the length of a Europe sector).

Admittedly, I don’t know what to make of it, but CX now uses KA to serve KUL. Methinks if CX saw premium demand they’d utilize their own aircraft.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

tpaewr

Wed May 16, 2018 8:16 am

When fuel was lower there was talk of SFO-BKK, but nothing materialized. With fuel on the upswing it is a headwind for lower yielding long hauls.

carlokiii

Wed May 16, 2018 8:59 am

UA also serves MNL through the now integrated Continental Micronesia.

Though not a direct service, U.S.-HNL-GUM-MNL is a popular island hopper route from the US to the SE Asia.

LAX772LR

Wed May 16, 2018 9:04 am

blink182 wrote:
Admittedly, I don’t know what to make of it, but CX now uses KA to serve KUL. Methinks if CX saw premium demand they’d utilize their own aircraft.

KA isn't exactly a leisure outfit, but getting back to the point: fares are ridiculously (but awesomely, from pax's perspective) low on that route.

Looking just three days out, you can do a roundtrip HKG-KUL-HKG for $136 all-in after tax!
Paid business is only $506.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

IAHWorldflyer

Wed May 16, 2018 2:38 pm

NH offers well timed connections to BKK, SGN, and CGK from NRT about 2 hours after the bank of UA flights from the US lands ( around 3pm local).
If you need to get to KUL, as others here have said, UA will get you nonstop from LAX or SFO to SIN, and you can use partner metal for the short flight up to KUL. Not worth UA expending multiple planes for such long flights.

zakuivcustom

Wed May 16, 2018 2:52 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
blink182 wrote:

KA isn't exactly a leisure outfit, but getting back to the point: fares are ridiculously (but awesomely, from pax's perspective) low on that route.

Looking just three days out, you can do a roundtrip HKG-KUL-HKG for $136 all-in after tax!
Paid business is only $506.

KA does have a lower cost base IIRC (Although I'm not even too sure about that). But other than that, KA is using ex-CX dense "regional" A333 on HKG-KUL route anyway, so it's not like all of a sudden it become "less premium". It does give CX/KA the flexibility to use narrowbody on the route if they desired, though (Although with the amount of pax on the route, it'll stay 4x A333 for now).

United Airline wrote:
What about flying to Jakarta via Hong Kong?

They once planned to serve KUL in the late 80s and the early 90s but it never happened.

There are just not much point of flying their own metal to SE Asia when you got NH for any transfer traffic. Even if they fly the route, at 1 flight per day it's not like they can get a lot of HKG-CGK O&D to begin with (and most of the time, since it's using a plane that originate from US, the timings are awful). If anything, before the boom of LCCs, UA/NW (then DL) were known to be the "cheap" carrier (in terms of ticket price) ex-HKG to go to SE Asia or Japan, and that applied even now (let say, EK/RJ to BKK or AI to KIX/ICN).

Then you got BKK and SGN, assuming both non-stop from west coast. Yields are just not really there for both even though the demand is (All the East Asian carriers carried a ton of those traffic). One-stop is out of question as again, no point of using their own metal when they can just send those pax over to NH.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos