MalevTU134
Topic Author

Swedish airline NextJet goes bankrupt

Wed May 16, 2018 11:20 am

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/zL ... flygningar

Swedish only, sorry.

In short: All flights cancelled, the company will file for bankruptcy.

The real bummer with this for us a.nutters is that NextJet was one of the last to operate the BAe ATP. (Who else does?)

HELyes

Re: Swedish airline NextJet goes bankrupt

Wed May 16, 2018 11:36 am

Wow didn't expect that... Finland was their second market, six smaller airports served.

Kikko19

Wed May 16, 2018 11:41 am

Sas stopped code sharing with them in november... I wonder if they smelled the problems or they created it...

AAMDanny

Wed May 16, 2018 12:25 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:

The real bummer with this for us a.nutters is that NextJet was one of the last to operate the BAe ATP. (Who else does?)

West Atlantic does... but freighter's only.

CarbonFibre

Wed May 16, 2018 1:31 pm

They temporarily lost their AOC last year but after securing new investment got it back. Seems the cash has run out already.

MartijnNL

Wed May 16, 2018 1:32 pm

Oh no. I had their Saab 340's still on my wish to fly list. When I visited Stockholm Arlanda more than a week ago a number of them were active. One ATP was parked on the apron. This hurts.

Just Iast weekend I had a look at their route map with some interesting one stop destinations. At least I was able to enjoy four segments on their ATP a few years ago.

I remember reading on this website at the end of last year NextJet had problems getting their AOC renewed.

YIMBY

Wed May 16, 2018 1:40 pm

Which regional airlines keep flying sustainably in Scandinavia and around?

TWA302

Wed May 16, 2018 1:58 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:

They were the last. Four of them :tombstone: :weeping:

arcticcruiser

Wed May 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Well if they want to be true to their (former) name, the next iteration will operate jets...

polet

Wed May 16, 2018 2:45 pm

Oh nooooo! This summer I planned Sweden trip. The main goal is to fly to ATP :weeping:

MikeyESSA

Wed May 16, 2018 3:57 pm

TWA302 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

They were the last. Four of them :tombstone: :weeping:

Well, technically they were already down to one - SE-MAK. They also had SE-LLO left as a spare aircraft, but that plane is owned by West Air since a couple of months ago and only rented back by NextJet temporarily until needed for parts or something. All of the other ATP's were already gone, one was handed back to lessor just some weeks ago (SE-MEX).

Instead they were in the process of phasing in wet-leased CRJ-200's as a replacement, think two of them from Voyageur Airways were operating lately.

CarbonFibre

Wed May 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Not a word about it on their website.

MalevTU134
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2018 5:34 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
Not a word about it on their website.

Sure there is. It's www.nextjet.se Up comes a pop-up window which informs (in Swedish only...poor customer service) about them having gone out of business, and you can't book anything (of course).

Mortyman

Wed May 16, 2018 5:53 pm

YIMBY wrote:

Widerøe I guess

MartijnNL

Wed May 16, 2018 6:21 pm

arcticcruiser wrote:
Well if they want to be true to their (former) name, the next iteration will operate jets...

I always thought the name NextJet looked strange on the Saab 340's and ATP's. More like "our next plane will be a jet."

But didn't they operate CRJ's on the Göteborg - Luleå route, with a stop in Sundsvall? I suppose those jets didn't sport the NextJet livery. Does anybody know in what colours they were painted?

And how big was their fleet at bankruptcy?

MalevTU134
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2018 6:37 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
arcticcruiser wrote:

I always thought the name NextJet looked strange on the Saab 340's and ATP's. More like "our next plane will be a jet."

But didn't they operate CRJ's on the Göteborg - Luleå route, with a stop in Sundsvall? I suppose those jets didn't sport the NextJet livery. Does anybody know in what colours they were painted?

Thay had 16 aircraft up to 1 p.m. today.

MalevTU134
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2018 6:41 pm

Mortyman wrote:
YIMBY wrote:

Widerøe I guess

Yes, I tend to agree, although one mustn't forget that many of their domestic routes depend on regional government subsidies, just as NextJet's did.

There is also the weirdly namned BRA in Sweden.

MartijnNL

Wed May 16, 2018 6:55 pm

MikeyESSA

Wed May 16, 2018 7:06 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
arcticcruiser wrote:

They had a fleet of 11 aircraft at bankruptcy.

2 BAe ATP (1 active, 1 withdrawn)
9 Saab 340 (7 active, 2 stored)

In addition to this there were 2 CRJ-200's from Voyageur Airways operating in an all-white paintjob on the Göteborg-Sundsvall-Luleå and Stockholm-Örnsköldsvik-Gällivare routes. Reg: C-FXHC and C-GIXT.

aerorobnz

Wed May 16, 2018 8:11 pm

When I left ARN 2 days ago, I saw the fleet parked up and wondered if I would spot them when I return in a few weeks. I guess not. And with that goes the ATP from passenger service. That's a sad day for aviation. I hope they get a second life flying in Northern Canada or something, but I doubt it.
Flown to 147 Airports in 59 Countries on 81 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

NozPerry

Wed May 16, 2018 8:17 pm

It’s a shame really, I used to love seeing their aircraft around SE. Unfortunately I never got to fly with them, I’d relish the opportunity to fly on the 340.
Thoughts are with all the employees.
I love the feel of a Go Around in the morning

davidjohnson6

Wed May 16, 2018 9:03 pm

What does the Swedish Transport Agency plan to do with the PSO routes ? Places like Hemavan are a long way from any other airports with nonstop flights to Stockholm...

Additionally what happens to the Voyageur Air CRJ200s ? Didn't know about them until today and fancy being able to collect another airline without having to leave Europe

Mortyman

Wed May 16, 2018 9:40 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
YIMBY wrote:

Widerøe I guess

Yes, I tend to agree, although one mustn't forget that many of their domestic routes depend on regional government subsidies, just as NextJet's did.

Yes, Braathens Regional Airways is actually a Norwegian owned swedish airline owned by Braganza. Same family / Company that owned Braathens SAFE in Norway before it was swallowed up by SAS.

FredrikHAD

Wed May 16, 2018 10:15 pm

Sparrow flies KID-ARN with an F50. AIS/Direktflyg has a few routes (Jetstream 32 I think) and Jonair flies Luleå-Pajala with a Beechcraft KingAir 200. Sustainably? No idea!

The airports and cities that no longer have air service because of NextJet’s bankruptcy have a major problem due to the distances. Hopefully some other company can take over at least some of the operations (and staff perhaps). Not only airline, but also airport staff will be directly affected.

/Fredrik

zululima

Thu May 17, 2018 1:47 am

MartijnNL wrote:
arcticcruiser wrote:

Saab 340s and ATPs ARE jets. You don't think they're putting avgas in there do you?

Opposite of jet = piston (or glider...).
I didn't get a 'Harumph' outta that guy!

Aesma

Thu May 17, 2018 1:57 am

Poor example since there are piston engines burning jet-A.

From wikipedia : A jet engine is a reaction engine discharging a fast-moving jet that generates thrust by jet propulsion.

So jet means jet propulsion => turboprops don't power aircraft that way.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Canuck600

Thu May 17, 2018 2:12 am

Those CRJ's have Canadian registrations? So they are from the Canadian Voyageur which I believe is located in North Bay Ontario?

MartijnNL

Thu May 17, 2018 5:29 am

To the general flying public aircraft with propellor engines are not jets.

I wasn't aware of different kinds of fuel: avgas and jet-A. Thank you for mentioning that. I will look it up so I can learn something new.

Is it safe to say the NextJet ATP won't see passenger service again? What about their Saab 340's? Will they operate again in Sweden? Or maybe in another country?

I have been a passenger on the Saab 340. As that is already quite long ago I was hoping to fly on it once more. It looks like that chance has become smaller.

I guess we will just have to wait to see what happens. Shortly after I travelled on Estonian Air that carrier ceased to exist. I thought that was it, but the aircraft I flew on with them are still flying now, with the same registrations, only with different paint on them.

Lingon

Thu May 17, 2018 7:01 am

Kikko19 wrote:
Sas stopped code sharing with them in november... I wonder if they smelled the problems or they created it...

The problems had a strong smell already. They didn't pay their airport fees until the airports went to the authorities to enforce payments, and this has been going on for long time according to airport officials.

Mortyman wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

Yes, Braathens Regional Airways is actually a Norwegian owned swedish airline owned by Braganza. Same family / Company that owned Braathens SAFE in Norway before it was swallowed up by SAS.

"Bra" also means "good" in Swedish.

PW100

Thu May 17, 2018 3:13 pm

Aesma wrote:

From wikipedia : A jet engine is a reaction engine discharging a fast-moving jet that generates thrust by jet propulsion.

With the danger of gettoing too much off topic, but modern (high) bypass turbo fans, and GTF's in particular are rapidly attacking that definition . . .

To stay on-topic, too bad they couldn't cope. Hopefully, WestAtlantic will soldier on a little bit longer with their ATPs. At least they now have some extra spare parts (engines, prop blades, gear struts are of particular concern).
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

Bostrom

Fri May 18, 2018 9:08 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
What does the Swedish Transport Agency plan to do with the PSO routes ? Places like Hemavan are a long way from any other airports with nonstop flights to Stockholm...

Most likely they will find a new airline for the routes. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of Nextjets 340s will end up with the new operator, as bigger aircraft might not be needed.

I flew to/from Arlanda yesterday and Terminal 3 looked really deserted, even more than usual. Three SAS planes were parked outside (one ATR and two CRJs), but that was the only activity I saw.

Kikko19

Fri May 18, 2018 9:23 am

yep bra will take over some of routes: http://www.flygtorget.se/Aktuellt/Artikel/?Id=12668 in swedish (but easy undestandable :)) sooner or later if there's demand (or the community will pay ) somebody will cover all the bases.

Lindegaard

Fri May 18, 2018 11:32 am

SE-MAK (ATP) is currently flying to ARN, from AJR (Arvidsjaur)
https://www.flightradar24.com/NTJ126/116affd5

Dominion301

Fri May 18, 2018 12:26 pm

Aesma wrote:

True and some piston aircraft run on diesel, while we're also in the early days of alternative fuels, including electric.

Canuck600 wrote:
Those CRJ's have Canadian registrations? So they are from the Canadian Voyageur which I believe is located in North Bay Ontario?

That is correct. For a couple of years now, Voyageur has been a wholly owned subsidiary of Chorus Aviation (best known as Jazz/Air Canada Express).

MartijnNL

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:50 am

NextJet will resume operations on 11 June. The airline will be rebranded as Air Scandic.

More information is, amongst others, to be found here:
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... resume-ops
https://standbynordic.com/pan-nordic-gr ... perations/

From one of the articles:
"Meanwhile, the little-known Stockholm-based airline Amapola Flyg has been assigned NextJet’s domestic routes between Arlanda and Hemavan, Vilhelmina and Lycksele, a decision made by the Swedish Transport Agency. This temporary contract lasts from July 1 until January 2019."

No mentioning of Arvidsjaur. :?

Still sad to see the name NextJet disappear. And I wonder what will happen with the Saab 340's.

Boair

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:45 am

I really wonder if the ATP will fly again
A313 A318 A319 A320 A321 A330 A343 A380 B734 B73H B738 B744 B752 B763 B77E B77W B788 B789 AT72 DH8D MD88 E145 IL96 PC6

CarbonFibre

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:30 am

Boair wrote:

Destined to become parts in a warehouse.

Spiderguy252

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:40 am

Mortyman wrote:
YIMBY wrote:

Widerøe I guess

Always thought that's a classy name. The symbol of the 'O' gives it some novelty.
Vahroone

Someone83

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:16 am

MartijnNL wrote:

From one of the articles:
"Meanwhile, the little-known Stockholm-based airline Amapola Flyg has been assigned NextJet’s domestic routes between Arlanda and Hemavan, Vilhelmina and Lycksele, a decision made by the Swedish Transport Agency. This temporary contract lasts from July 1 until January 2019."

Vilhelmina-Lycksele-Stockholm/ARN will be operated by DOT (DAT’s Lithuanian subsidiary) with ATR-42

Hemavan-Kramfors-Stockholm/ARN will be operated by the Polish airline Sprint and their Saab 340s

MartijnNL

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:44 pm

Someone83 wrote:
Hemavan-Kramfors-Stockholm/ARN will be operated by the Polish airline Sprint and their Saab 340s

Any news on the NextJet Saab 340's? Will they fly again?

Bostrom

Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:50 pm

Boair wrote:

I really hope so! Living not far from ARN I've seen the ATPs several times, been able to take photos and film them. But never had the opportunity to fly them :(

But to the honest, I don't think it's too likely. An ATR72 seems a bit more probable.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos