staralliance85
Topic Author
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:29 am

Norwegian at IAD?

Thu May 17, 2018 2:21 am

Will Norwegian serve Washington-Dulles IAD? It can be a good prospect for them. From IAD, they can serve LGW, CDG, FCO, BCN, ARN and many more. Would Norwegians presence at IAD hurt UA's IAD Trans-Atlantic Flights?
brad Fitzpatrick
 
iadadd
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:16 pm

Re: Norwegian at IAD?

Thu May 17, 2018 2:35 am

Much higher chance of flying into BWI
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 2804
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Norwegian at IAD?

Thu May 17, 2018 3:20 am

staralliance85 wrote:
Will Norwegian serve Washington-Dulles IAD? It can be a good prospect for them. From IAD, they can serve LGW, CDG, FCO, BCN, ARN and many more. Would Norwegians presence at IAD hurt UA's IAD Trans-Atlantic Flights?

It's possible, but I think Norwegian returning to BWI (and not just to the Caribbean) is more likely. The DC area is probably one of their largest unserved markets, so I have to imagine it's on their radar. Icelandair has had a fairly significant presence in DC for many years, and since they would probably be Norwegian's primary competitor, that could play a factor in their decision to enter the market with flights to Europe. Being out of range for the MAX, using the 787 is a bit more of a commitment.
 
LoudounHound
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Re: Norwegian at IAD?

Thu May 17, 2018 3:59 am

Norwegian officials visited IAD late last fall. IAD offers them something BWI probably can't: Immigration and Customs throughput. They're coming to one of the two airports, that's a near certainty, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they choose IAD. Assuming they stay solvent, that is.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 2733
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Norwegian at IAD?

Thu May 17, 2018 6:09 am

I remember reading somewhere that the Washington DC area is too small for the 787 but it was on the radar for the A321LR. Most likely they'll pick Baltimore-Washington since that's the cheapest airport of the two. Besides, there are more people living in the Baltimore-Washington catchment area than there are in the Dulles catchment area. People from Baltimore don't drive all the way to Dulles when they got their own airport nearby, but people from Washington are likely to drive to Baltimore. That's hardly any further than Dulles.
 
arcticcruiser
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:16 pm

Re: Norwegian at IAD?

Thu May 17, 2018 8:14 am

LoudounHound wrote:
Norwegian officials visited IAD late last fall. IAD offers them something BWI probably can't: Immigration and Customs throughput. They're coming to one of the two airports, that's a near certainty, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they choose IAD. Assuming they stay solvent, that is.


Rrrriight. IAD offers,one of the worst immigration experiences in the US and has done for a long time.
 
User avatar
LuxuryTravelled
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:06 am

Re: Norwegian at IAD?

Thu May 17, 2018 8:21 am

My understanding is no new destinations in USA this winter for Norwegian.
 
NOVAIAD
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Norwegian at IAD?

Thu May 17, 2018 11:40 am

staralliance85 wrote:
Will Norwegian serve Washington-Dulles IAD? It can be a good prospect for them. From IAD, they can serve LGW, CDG, FCO, BCN, ARN and many more. Would Norwegians presence at IAD hurt UA's IAD Trans-Atlantic Flights?


If they do, their best bet would be to launch service from a city not currently without a flight to IAD. London and Paris are well served by multiple BA, UA, AF and one VS flight daily, so I am not sure how LGW or an additional CDG flight would fare in the market. FCO and BCN are seasonal service on UA, so I am not sure the market demand is there for additional daily, once/twice/thrice-a-week or even seasonal service. ARN is the only airport not currently with a route to IAD, but SK has daily service from CPH with an A333 & A340 depending on the season, so ARN could be an option if the demand is there. Could EDI be an option?
 
NOVAIAD
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Norwegian at IAD?

Thu May 17, 2018 12:08 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that the Washington DC area is too small for the 787 but it was on the radar for the A321LR. Most likely they'll pick Baltimore-Washington since that's the cheapest airport of the two. Besides, there are more people living in the Baltimore-Washington catchment area than there are in the Dulles catchment area. People from Baltimore don't drive all the way to Dulles when they got their own airport nearby, but people from Washington are likely to drive to Baltimore. That's hardly any further than Dulles.


Umm, ...... you do realize that BOTH airports are located within the Baltimore-Washington catchment area right? From central DC, IAD is 27 miles away, whereas BWI is 31.3 miles away. IAD has a dedicated airport service road and soon will have a direct METRO link, whereas BWI has the I-95 North and the BW Parkway as well as an offsite train station requiring an additional transfer to actually get to the airport. Have you ever tried to drive from downtown DC to BWI anytime after 2 PM? Good luck with that. I would recommend taking a snack and going to the bathroom before you leave, because you'll be sitting in traffic for a while. I know lots of people who live in Montgomery and PG Counties (parts of which are closer to BWI), and they will choose IAD any day because getting to BWI is not worth the hassle.
 
iadadd
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:16 pm

Re: Norwegian at IAD?

Thu May 17, 2018 12:11 pm

Most realistic routes would be BWI-LGW or BWI-CDG. If Norwegian attempted IAD-ARN, I can easily see UA or SK countering that with their own IAD-ARN flight.
 
User avatar
Keith2004
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:59 am

Re: Norwegian at IAD?

Thu May 17, 2018 12:39 pm

NOVAIAD wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that the Washington DC area is too small for the 787 but it was on the radar for the A321LR. Most likely they'll pick Baltimore-Washington since that's the cheapest airport of the two. Besides, there are more people living in the Baltimore-Washington catchment area than there are in the Dulles catchment area. People from Baltimore don't drive all the way to Dulles when they got their own airport nearby, but people from Washington are likely to drive to Baltimore. That's hardly any further than Dulles.


Umm, ...... you do realize that BOTH airports are located within the Baltimore-Washington catchment area right? From central DC, IAD is 27 miles away, whereas BWI is 31.3 miles away. IAD has a dedicated airport service road and soon will have a direct METRO link, whereas BWI has the I-95 North and the BW Parkway as well as an offsite train station requiring an additional transfer to actually get to the airport. Have you ever tried to drive from downtown DC to BWI anytime after 2 PM? Good luck with that. I would recommend taking a snack and going to the bathroom before you leave, because you'll be sitting in traffic for a while. I know lots of people who live in Montgomery and PG Counties (parts of which are closer to BWI), and they will choose IAD any day because getting to BWI is not worth the hassle.


I've lived in both Montgomery and PG for the last 15 years and never once have I heard someone say they would choose BWI over IAD because of the "hassle". It is usually the opposite....If getting to BWI in traffic after 2pm is hard....getting to IAD from PG and Montgomery is painful. American Legion Bridge bottle neck just one example.
Aslo even after the Silver line is FINALLY completed it wont be ideal with all the stops vs Amtrak/Marc and a short shuttle ride. Depending on where in these 2 counties your talking about it is usually DCA>BWI>IAD or BWI>DCA>IAD.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos