Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Capn
Topic Author

CLT concourse A

Fri May 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Just read a story about the construction at CLT.
It mentioned that 9 new gates on concourse A would open soon.
It also mentioned the airlines moving into the new gates JBL F9 AC UAL SWA NK.
I think this will bring A to 22 gates ( 13 old and the 9 new ones).
I think Delta uses 3 gates in old section. Does anyone know how many gates DL. will be picking up in A and when this will happen?
Thanks in advance.
UH-1 DEHAVILAND HERON MARTIN 404 DC-9 CHALLENGER 601 FALCON 50 & 900EX

deltairlines

Re: CLT concourse A

Fri May 18, 2018 5:31 pm

Delta currently has A1, A3, A5, A7 and A9 at CLT. The early DTW went out of A8 this morning but I'm guessing that's a common use or shared gate.

I'd guess DL would likely pick up one more gate with their current 35 departures. It sounds like nearly everyone (basically everyone but DL and the independent regionals) will be there so there will be room to grow.

mikejepp

Fri May 18, 2018 5:35 pm

Is AA getting any concourse-A gates?

When will this new concourse open?

Polot

Fri May 18, 2018 5:36 pm

mikejepp wrote:
Is AA getting any concourse-A gates?

When will this new concourse open?

AA is trying get as many of the old A gates as they can when the others move over.

csweet

Fri May 18, 2018 6:14 pm

I posted a thread a couple months ago on the same topic. AA will be moving into multiple gates in A once the Phase 1 expansion is complete.

My question is whether or not new airlines will begin flying out of CLT. AA is expected to continue adding routes as gates are added, but what could we expect in 2018?

727LOVER

Fri May 18, 2018 6:48 pm

wait....so PMAA never left A? Why not?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Polot

Fri May 18, 2018 6:52 pm

727LOVER wrote:

AA did not keep the gates and does not currently operate out of A. But AA wants as many gates in CLT as possible to both expand and keep competition out.

AWACSooner

Fri May 18, 2018 6:56 pm

Polot wrote:
AA did not keep the gates and does not currently operate out of A. But AA wants as many gates in CLT as possible to both expand and keep competition out.

Ok there, I guess...but if it's WN at DAL, then that's anti-competitive ;)

jplatts

Fri May 18, 2018 7:49 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
Polot wrote:

There are actually already more non-WN flights out of DAL than there are out of HOU, and WN has more market share at MDW and HOU than it does at DAL. However, one big difference between the WN situation at MDW vs. the WN situation at DAL is that the majority of the WN nonstop routes out of MDW are in competition with at least 2 airlines out of ORD.

The reason why there is a lawsuit going on involving the gates at DL is operating out of at DAL is that DL is seeking permanent accommodation at DAL and DL has not yet been permanently accommodated at DAL. DL is not in the same situation at HOU and MDW, even with WN having more market share at MDW and HOU than it does at DAL, since DL has already been accommodated at both of these airports. There is also plenty of room for DL to add extra flights out of HOU if DL plans on further expansion at HOU.

ahj2000

Sat May 19, 2018 12:39 am

Polot wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

AA left A to a pair of gates on the west side of B during the merger.

Sounds from what Ive heard that’s AA is expanding because of CLT’s profitability. I sat next to a pilot (not exactly reliable, I know) on a recent CLT-MIA who said that she heard that CLT will be getting more service “out westish” once they get a hold of their A gates.
-Andrés Juánez

Beechtobus

Sat May 19, 2018 12:48 am

Capn wrote:

NK? NK doesn’t even fly to CLT, at least yet. Interesting.

washingtonflyer

Sat May 19, 2018 12:52 am

http://www.cltairport.com/News/Pages/De ... jects.aspx

There are big expansion plans for CLT. So whomever thought AA was going to draw down CLT might want to view the above-referenced link

chepos

Sat May 19, 2018 3:52 am

jplatts wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:
Polot wrote:

There are actually already more non-WN flights out of DAL than there are out of HOU, and WN has more market share at MDW and HOU than it does at DAL. However, one big difference between the WN situation at MDW vs. the WN situation at DAL is that the majority of the WN nonstop routes out of MDW are in competition with at least 2 airlines out of ORD.

The reason why there is a lawsuit going on involving the gates at DL is operating out of at DAL is that DL is seeking permanent accommodation at DAL and DL has not yet been permanently accommodated at DAL. DL is not in the same situation at HOU and MDW, even with WN having more market share at MDW and HOU than it does at DAL, since DL has already been accommodated at both of these airports. There is also plenty of room for DL to add extra flights out of HOU if DL plans on further expansion at HOU.

Yeah, while AA has said they want to grow CLT, Management has always been generic never mentioned markets or regions. I would take rumors from crews with a grain of salt, rumors on the line tend to be way out there most of the time.
Fly the Flag!!!!

afcjets

Sat May 19, 2018 5:57 am

ahj2000 wrote:
Polot wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

AA left A to a pair of gates on the west side of B during the merger.

Which ones?

Capn
Topic Author

Sat May 19, 2018 1:21 pm

Beechtobus wrote:
Capn wrote:

NK? NK doesn’t even fly to CLT, at least yet. Interesting.

My bad I could not find the article I had read and tried to quote from memory...
Just AINT what it use to be.

twa727

Sat May 19, 2018 1:37 pm

The Charlotte airport website has a pretty comprehensive page on all the work going on there, from this Concourse A expansion (and a second phase of that in the future) to the rebuild and expansion of the check-in and ticketing area.

They also have a page on just this expansion with a short video of the work in progress that talks about some of the technology that's being built into it

http://www.cltairport.com/News/Pages/De ... ummer.aspx

soflaflyer

Sat May 19, 2018 11:22 pm

twa727 wrote:
The Charlotte airport website has a pretty comprehensive page on all the work going on there, from this Concourse A expansion (and a second phase of that in the future) to the rebuild and expansion of the check-in and ticketing area.

They also have a page on just this expansion with a short video of the work in progress that talks about some of the technology that's being built into it

http://www.cltairport.com/News/Pages/De ... ummer.aspx

Will the Concourse B & C renovations include widening of the concourses? They are incredibly crowded now that the average a/c AA uses now is larger compared to what LUS used over 20 years ago.

acentauri

Sun May 20, 2018 1:19 am

Polot wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

"and keep competition out". IF TRUE (which I doubt), that is an indefensible position for both AA and the Airport to take.

afcjets

Sun May 20, 2018 1:35 am

afcjets wrote:
When Piedmont got the 767, they were always parked at C2, C4, or C6 and then later they started parking at D when it opened (and sometimes still those same C gates). One day in late 1987 I saw a Piedmont 767 which had not entered service yet park at gate B1 and the jetway was attached to door 1R instead of 1L.

This YouTube video from 2/88 shows all 4 Piedmont 767s on the ground at CLT at the same time. I love how they all look brand new as PI did not start flying them until 6/15/87.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tbQD19aH1M

FYI, you can also see the CLT coliseum on approach in this video which was still under construction (it would open 6 months later and be torn down in 2005)
Last edited by afcjets on Sun May 20, 2018 2:04 am, edited 7 times in total.

Polot

Sun May 20, 2018 1:42 am

acentauri wrote:
Polot wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

"and keep competition out". IF TRUE (which I doubt), that is an indefensible position for both AA and the Airport to take.

Obviously AA will expand, keeping competition out is not the official reason they want the gates. But don’t think for a moment that AA doesn’t enjoy the fact that gate space for new entrants at CLT is at a premium, so it is difficult for a LCC or ULCC to launch an extensive operation in competition against AA there. AA wants to see that continue, hence their eagerness for A gates as airlines move over to the new wing.

twa727

Sun May 20, 2018 2:48 am

soflaflyer wrote:
Will the Concourse B & C renovations include widening of the concourses? They are incredibly crowded now that the average a/c AA uses now is larger compared to what LUS used over 20 years ago.

This article (from last fall) says there's still a plan to bump-out one side of Concourse B & C to make them wider, but says that's not in the plans until 2024.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article175513801.html

I agree, more space is needed to accommodate the larger, fuller planes serving Charlotte these days, and sooner than 2024. Sometimes it feels like you almost need to push yourself through the crowds. Work is already underway to remodel those concourses, so perhaps they can find a way to make the seating a bit denser to help better manage the space until the expansion can happen.

Capn
Topic Author

Tue May 22, 2018 4:03 pm

With the new addition to A opening soon, shouldn't gate assignment be announced already?
Any one hear anything yet for the new and old sections ?

ahj2000

Tue May 22, 2018 4:45 pm

Capn wrote:
With the new addition to A opening soon, shouldn't gate assignment be announced already?
Any one hear anything yet for the new and old sections ?

Picking up my brother yesterday, I looked like there was some more work to do inside the connector. Wonder if itlll open on schedule.
-Andrés Juánez

Jake1993P

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:11 am

Any update on the new A north gates? Some sources say they'll open June 2018 and others just a generic "summer 2018". Should be any time now unless there is a setback with the project?

csweet

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:41 pm

Jake1993P wrote:
Any update on the new A north gates? Some sources say they'll open June 2018 and others just a generic "summer 2018". Should be any time now unless there is a setback with the project?

Suppose to open within the next 2 weeks. Saw the food trucks there last week, which is always a good sign!

KarlB737

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Capn wrote:
Just read a story about the construction at CLT.

Courtesy: The Charlotte Observer

Charlotte Douglas Airport Plans For New Gates, Expansion - Video Report Included

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article214422939.html

TWFlyGuy

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:18 pm

It will be interesting to see if AA does in fact get gates in the "old" A what they use them for. I think it would be wise to consider focusing their prime business and competitive routes there (i.e. ATL, LGA, ORD, DFW). I'm sure there are others people would include but I'm thinking heavy local business routes or routes like ATL/ORD that compete with DL & UA where biz travelers will appreciate not having to wade through throngs of people to get on & off their flights if they choose AA. Would be reminicent of the TWA's TWQ service in STL or why AA has done everything it can to stay on T concourse in ATL.

csweet

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:36 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
It will be interesting to see if AA does in fact get gates in the "old" A what they use them for. I think it would be wise to consider focusing their prime business and competitive routes there (i.e. ATL, LGA, ORD, DFW). I'm sure there are others people would include but I'm thinking heavy local business routes or routes like ATL/ORD that compete with DL & UA where biz travelers will appreciate not having to wade through throngs of people to get on & off their flights if they choose AA. Would be reminicent of the TWA's TWQ service in STL or why AA has done everything it can to stay on T concourse in ATL.

It would be awesome to see a gate setup similar to LGA in old terminal A, where they have the "Boston Shuttle" gate. They could most definitely utilize this for ATL, ORD, DFW, etc.

csweet

Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:45 pm

JetBlue, United Airlines, Southwest, Frontier and Air Canada are all moving into the new expansion. American will expand to their old gates, but how many flights will be added with the 9 gate expansion?

USAirALB

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:29 pm

I was at the open house last night and there are finally public interior shots of the completed concourse. The concourse is beautiful, and I love the digital artwork on the walls. It is much, much larger in person than what appears in the photos.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/ ... 97124.html
https://twitter.com/CLTAirport

It actually looks really, really nice. This is a pretty big deal for CLT. This concourse will eventually become part of a brand new terminal at CLT, and DL will eventually move in once Phase II of the expansion is complete. A couple people I spoke to said LH also might move to the Concourse in the future, but that would require towing the aircraft over from the D gates.

But like everything else related to CLT, this will largely fly under the radar on a.net, versus if a new concourse/terminal opened at MIA.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

Capn
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:48 pm

I finally read what will happen to the old concourse A gates when new section opens.
I believe it was from the airport manager in an article about it ,can't remember what publication. DELTA will have 6 gates initially while the other 7 are remodeled. Then next year DELTA will move into the 7 remodeled gates and the other 6 will be remodeled and I think AA will get 4 with 2 common use.
So it looks like DELTA gets 1 more now with another next year.
Any ideas where they will fly with those extra gates ?

mikejepp

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:54 pm

Capn wrote:
I finally read what will happen to the old concourse A gates when new section opens.
I believe it was from the airport manager in an article about it ,can't remember what publication. DELTA will have 6 gates initially while the other 7 are remodeled. Then next year DELTA will move into the 7 remodeled gates and the other 6 will be remodeled and I think AA will get 4 with 2 common use.
So it looks like DELTA gets 1 more now with another next year.
Any ideas where they will fly with those extra gates ?

So AA won't be getting any new gates for another year or two?

RDUDDJI

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:04 pm

USAirALB wrote:
But like everything else related to CLT, this will largely fly under the radar on a.net, versus if a new concourse/terminal opened at MIA.

?! CLT is one of the most discussed airports on a.net. Sometimes it's the haters with "Is AA going to dehub CLT?", other times it's the fanboys with "CLT should have hourly A380 service to every market in Asia!". Neither are true of course, but that doesn't stop the internets from pontificating. :D
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

jplatts

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:07 pm

WN had stated that it planned on expanding at CLT once Concourse A expansion is complete at CLT. Is WN planning on adding nonstop service to DEN, FLL, LAS, PHX, STL, or TPA out of CLT? Is WN planning on bringing back CLT-MCO nonstop service?

jplatts

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:19 pm

SLC is the westernmost destination that has nonstop service from CLT on an airline other than AA. CLT is located in a metropolitan area of over 2.5 million people, and CLT is also the largest U.S. metropolitan to have nonstop service to the West Coast on only one legacy airline. Competition could be improved on travel between CLT and the West Coast by AS adding SEA-CLT nonstop service, DL adding CLT-LAX nonstop service, and UA adding CLT-SFO nonstop service.

CV880

Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:28 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

?! CLT is one of the most discussed airports on a.net. Sometimes it's the haters with "Is AA going to dehub CLT?", other times it's the fanboys with "CLT should have hourly A380 service to every market in Asia!". Neither are true of course, but that doesn't stop the internets from pontificating. :D

That's right because there are NEVER any RDU posts...

tp1040

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:28 am

Nice to see them planning a new 12,000 foot runway. Should help those 380s on hot summer days. 8-)

ahj2000

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:21 am

tp1040 wrote:
Nice to see them planning a new 12,000 foot runway. Should help those 380s on hot summer days. 8-)

I believe the point was to attract Middle Eastern and Asian carriers/routes. (the underlying message was that they wanted QR to DOH)
I still have doubts.
-Andrés Juánez

afcjets

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:38 pm

Is A North still not open?

KMCOFlyer

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:14 am

afcjets wrote:
Is A North still not open?

It’s been open for about a week now.

afcjets

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:23 am

I am surprised no one posted here when it opened. I wonder if terminal maps have been updated yet showing what the new gates are for each airline.

toltommy

Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:26 am

afcjets wrote:
I am surprised no one posted here when it opened. I wonder if terminal maps have been updated yet showing what the new gates are for each airline.

Took 30 seconds to google the CLT airport website and see the updated maps. The website only lists airline locations by concourse. No specific gates are listed.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333 / 707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753
/762/763/764/772/788/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440 /700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

afcjets

Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:40 am

Yeah, I didn’t think so.

afcjets

Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:41 am

Which is why I posted. Hopefully someone here knows.

toltommy

Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:38 am

afcjets wrote:
Yeah, I didn’t think so.

Did you even try? A21-29 are on the map at cltairport.com

http://www.cltairport.com/MapsandDirect ... DWRMap.pdf
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333 / 707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753
/762/763/764/772/788/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440 /700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

Chapmads

Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:52 am

Does anyone know why the numbering for the new gates started with A21? I’m aware that there are a couple more phases to the expansion, which will presumably fill in the gap between the current A1-A13 and the new A21-29, but it seems to me that the future expansion will be more than 7 gates and with the proximity of the new gates to the old A gates, they would have started with A14.

afcjets

Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:21 pm

Since concourse A is now more than one concourse, they probably wanted a way to identify which concourse a gate is on by the gate number. Gates on the second concourse are 20-29 and the third concourse will likely be 30-39.

SWADawg

Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:14 pm

Looks like WN gained a 4th gate with the move to A North. It looks like according to the diagram that they will now occupy A24, A26, A28, and A29. So, it looks like WN is in good shape should they decide to expand service in the future.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos