Topic Author

More Southwest Pressurization Issues

Mon May 21, 2018 2:53 am

Hoping this will display correctly...

Searching AvHerald today, I found this:

https://www.avherald.com/h?article=4b8d54bb&opt=0

Which reminded of this:

https://www.avherald.com/h?article=4b892e97&opt=0

You'll notice that it's the same aircraft - N732SW.

After the WN accident that landed in PHL, I'd expect the FAA to be all over Southwest.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

OKCDCA

Re: More Southwest Pressurization Issues

Mon May 21, 2018 4:03 am

FlyHossD wrote:
Hoping this will display correctly...

Searching AvHerald today, I found this:

https://www.avherald.com/h?article=4b8d54bb&opt=0

Which reminded of this:

https://www.avherald.com/h?article=4b892e97&opt=0

You'll notice that it's the same aircraft - N732SW.

After the WN accident that landed in PHL, I'd expect the FAA to be all over Southwest.

Why would the FAA be “all over Southwest” after nothing more than a possible faulty sensor? The crew received an indication that cabin pressure was dropping but was never actually lost. The crew did the right thing and diverted and passengers were reaccomodated. The nature of the beast that is a commercial airliner in 2018 is multiple computer systems and sensors feeding those computers. Like all things mechanical, at some point one is going to fail and/or give a faulty indication. Is it ideal, no, but it’s the nature of the types of systems we deal with this day in age. Purely coincidence that it’s the aircraft involved.

Non-event.

WN732

Mon May 21, 2018 4:11 am

Did you read the article?
Last edited by WN732 on Mon May 21, 2018 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

WN732

Mon May 21, 2018 4:12 am

Did you actually read the article?

Antarius

Mon May 21, 2018 4:24 am

And in other news, overzealous aviation enthusiasts make a big deal over a sensor malfunction.

If the FAA got all over airlines for precautionary measures- either things would get worse or no one would be flying.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

Runway28L

Mon May 21, 2018 4:35 am

Given how ridiculous the mainstream media has become in the past 2-3 years, of course every incident that is usually deemed a non-event following a major incident will get blown up by the media and will create a false image of danger for the general public.

DocLightning

Mon May 21, 2018 4:48 am

OKCDCA wrote:
Why would the FAA be “all over Southwest” after nothing more than a possible faulty sensor?

Pressurization/pressure sensing issue? Twice in a week? Same airframe?

In the history of commercial aviation, I have never heard of a single airframe experiencing the exact same class of failure twice to the point where it resulted in a diversion (and thankfully that's all it was).

The implication here is that WN didn't fix it correctly. And. That. Should. Not. Have. Happened.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

N626AA

Mon May 21, 2018 4:52 am

Runway28L wrote:
Given how ridiculous the mainstream media has become in the past 2-3 years, of course every incident that is usually deemed a non-event following a major incident will get blown up by the media and will create a false image of danger for the general public.

I second that. Several upcoming trips this summer on WN and AA. All -700s on WN I believe. Not worried one bit.
A306 319 320 321 332 333 343 B722 733 734 735 737 738 744 752 762 763 772 773 DC93 DC1040 MD82/83/88 MD90 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9 E140 E145/45X DHQ3 ATR7

ikolkyo

Mon May 21, 2018 6:07 am

DocLightning wrote:
OKCDCA wrote:
Why would the FAA be “all over Southwest” after nothing more than a possible faulty sensor?

In the history of commercial aviation, I have never heard of a single airframe experiencing the exact same class of failure twice to the point where it resulted in a diversion (and thankfully that's all it was).

The implication here is that WN didn't fix it correctly. And. That. Should. Not. Have. Happened.

I bet it has happened before, all it would take is some digging on the avherald.

Channex737

Mon May 21, 2018 6:27 am

ikolkyo wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
OKCDCA wrote:

I bet it has happened before, all it would take is some digging on the avherald.

It has indeed happened before, Jet2 737-300 G-CELI had 2 decompression in as many weeks, the aircraft was subsequently scrapped.
Farewell Channel Express 733s, enjoy your retirement :wave:
FINALLY managed to spot an A220: HB-JBI at BHX :veryhappy:
Recent flights: LS MAN-NCE, NCE-MAN

32andBelow

Mon May 21, 2018 6:46 am

Yah when a plane has a problem sometimes it’s recurring. Just like anything else in the world.

Cubsrule

Mon May 21, 2018 1:10 pm

DocLightning wrote:
OKCDCA wrote:

. . . except that it pretty obviously wasn't the same problem. The cabin actually depressurized in the first incident. Not so in the second. It's hard to come up with a scenario where a single bad sensor will cause depressurization. Like most aircraft systems, there are redudancies.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos